Author's Chapter Notes:
I generally don't like to give anything away with my stories but I feel a warning is necessary for this one. So here it is...

WARNING: ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT OCCURS IN THIS CHAPTER.

It is not graphic and is only used to further the storyline. I hope you like it. Many thanks to Megan for betaing for me.
Chapter Eleven

“I feel so much better now,” Buffy declared as she and Abby made their way off the dance floor and to the table they were sharing with William and Zac.

“Tell me about it,” Abby replied. “This was exactly what I needed after a rotten week at work. I’m so glad you came tonight Buffy.”

“Thanks.” Buffy smiled. “So am I. But speaking of work–” She looked down at her watch. “Oh damn, look at the time.” Buffy drained the last of her drink and grabbed her purse. “If I’m going to open the store tomorrow I have got to go home and get some sleep.”

“Come on Buffy,” Zac argued. “You can’t leave yet. The sun has barely even set.”

Buffy laughed incredulously. “Zac, it’s nearly midnight!”

“Uh-huh!” Zac pointed an excited finger in the air. “The witching hour is at hand. If you leave now you’ll be devoured by witches and vampires and all manner of nasty things.”

Momentarily startled by his choice of words, Buffy glanced sideways at William, who simply shrugged. “Yeah well,” she said, deciding to play along, “my best friend where I used to live was a witch. And vampires are easy; you just have to know where to put the stake.”

William burst out laughing at the baffled look on Zac’s face. “Come on love,” he said, coming out of his chair. “I’ll walk you home.”

“No, that’s okay.” She waved him back down. “You should stay and enjoy your night. It’s not that far. I’ll be fine.”

William frowned. “Are you sure?”

She smiled at his thoughtfulness. “I’ll be fine,” she said again. “Bye everyone.” With a quick wave she left and started down the street toward home.

She’d barely cleared the block when she heard a voice in front of her. “Hey honey, you need a ride?”

Buffy looked up and saw a large, rough looking man leaning casually against a beat up old car. A cigarette dangled carelessly from his long fingers. His eyes roamed her body lustfully and Buffy felt her stomach roll at the look on his face.

“No thanks,” she said firmly and began to walk passed him.

“Oh come on baby,” he drawled, falling into step just behind her. “I saw you dancing in there. I know what you need to satisfy the fire between those skinny legs.”

Without thought, Buffy turned and punched his leering face. Barely flinching at her strike, he grabbed her by the wrist and wrenched her body up against his. “Why you little bitch,” he snarled. Grabbing her other wrist he forced her arms behind her back till she was pressed hard against him. “Somebody needs to teach you a lesson, little girl.”

Buffy could smell whiskey on his breath and almost retched. Struggling hard, she cried out in frustration when she was unable to break free of his ruthless grip.

“That’s right honey,” he laughed cruelly. “I like it when you struggle.”

Stilling immediately Buffy drew a deep breath, but when she opened her mouth to scream for help he crushed his mouth against hers. Gagging as his tongue thrust into her mouth, she bit down hard.

Roaring with pain he shoved her away, but before she could make a move to run a thick beefy arm appeared out of nowhere. She felt like her head exploded as she fell to the pavement. The taste of blood filled her mouth and suddenly, one thought erupted in her mind. I can’t stop him.

There was an angry shout in the distance, followed by the sound of approaching footsteps and she cried for help, the word getting mangled by her injured tongue. She heard her attacker curse violently before he jumped into his car. The sound of shrieking tyres signalled his hasty departure.

“Buffy!” The sound of William’s voice made her look up. Relief filled her as she saw him kneel down beside her. He drew her into his arms and the feel of his warmth surrounding her broke the last of her self-control. With an agonised cry she collapsed against him, sobs wracking her body.

“Are you okay? Did he hurt you?” he asked when at last her tears stopped.

“I-I couldn’t stop him,” she whispered, staring into space. “He was too strong. I fought back but…I couldn’t stop him.”

“He was a big guy Buffy. I’m not surprised,” William tried to reassure her.

Pulling away from him she looked up into his face. “No, you don’t understand. I couldn’t stop him!

William stared at her, realisation slowly dawning on his face. “Buffy–”

“I’m used to protecting myself Will. Now I can’t even fight off some random asshole?” She shook her head forcefully in denial and wrenched herself up from the pavement. Limping slightly she began to march toward home, with William following at a quick pace. “I don’t know how to do this – how to be weak like this. Just another girl. I don’t know how. I’ll end up hiding under the bed.”

“It’ll be okay Buffy.”

“Will it?” She halted abruptly to stare at him with agonised eyes. “I’m used to going where I want when I want and not thinking twice about it. I was afraid of demons and hell gods, not people. Not pathetic drunks who don’t know how to take no for an answer.” She started to sob as the reality hit her anew. She couldn’t protect herself anymore. She was no slayer; she was nobody.

“Oh God.” She sank back down to the ground as she felt her world crumble around her. “I really am crazy. Thinking I was so special. Chosen! In truth I can’t even throw a decent punch. I’m completely defenceless.”

“Buffy, love. Please, you’ve got to calm down.”

Buffy was beyond hearing him. “The doctor called it ‘delusions of grandeur’ and he was right. I’m nobody. I’m nothing.”

“Hey!” Fear streaked through him at the way she was talking and he grabbed her by the arms until she was forced to look him in the eye. “You are still Buffy. Do you hear me? You may not be a slayer. You may not be some mystical Chosen One. But everything else about you is real. You are real! Don’t ever let me hear you say differently.”

Snapped from her despair Buffy stared at him, shocked by the emotion behind his words. She nodded, tears still trailing down her face. Wishing he hadn’t seen her like this, she dropped her head onto his shoulder to hide her face. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly as he buried his face in her hair.

After a time she calmed down and he loosened his hold so he could pull back to see her face. Her eyes were red and her cheeks were still wet with tears. Brushing her hair back from her face, he whispered, “You okay?”

Nodding, she swiped at the wetness on her cheeks. “Someday,” she replied.

Unable to help himself, William pressed a gentle kiss to her full lips, then rested his forehead against hers, savouring the feel of her in his arms. Moving away, he took her hands in his and began to back down the road, pulling her with him. “Come on. I’ll walk you home.”