Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi all. Thank you so much for the reviews. They really make my day. And I'm feeling pretty crappy today so they'll mean even more.

This chapter was supposed to be all Buffy and Spike but the moment Joyce opened the door she took over and wouldn't let go till she'd said her piece. I think she was a bit ticked off at the flack she's been copping. : ) I hope you enjoy it
Chapter Twelve

William felt the full weight of Joyce’s glare as he came through the door the next afternoon. “How is she?” he asked quietly.

For a moment Joyce looked as if she would crumble before his eyes, her bottom lip quivering slightly, but then she seemed to get a hold of her emotions. “She’s barely said anything all day. She just sits up there staring out the window. She won’t eat; she won’t even look at me.”

He winced. This was what he’d been afraid of. She’d been so quiet on the way home last night; barely acknowledging his offer to open the shop for her before she went into the house and closed the door.

“Where were you?” Joyce’s curt question brought him abruptly back to the present. “When this happened to her. Where were you?”

“I was still in the club. I was worried about her walking home alone, even though she insisted, so I went after her. I was only a minute behind her I swear.”

“I told her she shouldn’t go out; it’s not safe. But she just wouldn’t listen.” Joyce wrung her hands as she led William into the living room. “You shouldn’t let her run off like that William. I need to know I can trust her with you.”

Hurt by her words, William felt his ire rising. “I’m not her keeper Joyce. She’s a grown woman and she wants to stand on her own two feet. She should want to!”

“Do you think I don’t know that?!” Joyce suddenly exploded in anger. “Do you think I want to smother her and stop her from having all the wonderful experiences a girl of her age should have? Do you?

Deflated, William flopped down on the couch, rubbing his face with tired hands. “No, of course not.”

Joyce stood with her arms crossed protectively over her chest. “Before all this started, Buffy was a happy, beautiful girl. She was such a joy to be around. I had no idea what was ahead for her; what was happening in her mind. If only I had known…maybe I could have helped.”

William shook his head. “Joyce I don’t think anyone–”

“The point is no one saw it coming. You can’t guarantee that it won’t happen again; no one can. If it does, I need to be there.” She paused for a moment; staring at him intently, as if trying to convey to him the importance of her words. “She might have gone off to some fantasy land where she was a superhero and fought Gods in her mind. But her body stayed here. Her physical body was completely vulnerable. Have you already forgotten what it was like to see her just sitting there, day after day? Mumbling to herself one minute; comatose the next.”

Sighing heavily, William stood and crossed the room to stand in front of her. “I remember.”

A single tear finally escaped Joyce’s watery eyes to slide down one pale cheek. “I visited her almost every day. I read to her. Told her what was happening in the world. I kept her hair that beautiful golden colour that she loved so much.” She was sobbing now and William gathered her into a comforting embrace. “I know that she can make her own decisions. I know that she is strong inside. But if she goes away again I need to be there to protect her.” She looked up at him with solemn eyes. “I’m her mother, William. She trusts me to make sure she always has a body to come home to.”

“Mommy?”

Joyce and William gasped as they turned to the doorway, startled by the quiet voice. Buffy stood there in her pyjamas, Mr Gordo clutched tightly in one hand. Her right cheek was marred by a large purple bruise and her bottom lip was swollen. She walked slowly toward them, her eyes focused unblinkingly on her mother.

“I’m so sorry.” Her voice was still quiet, but clear and unwavering. “I never thanked you, did I? For taking such good care of me.”

Joyce was silent, an almost imperceptible shake of her head her only answer.

Buffy stood on her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around her mother’s neck, holding her close. “Thank you.”

Joyce hugging her tightly, weeping softly into her daughter’s hair.

“I’m sorry about today. I just needed some time...to process everything. But I’m okay, I promise.” Pulling back she took her mother’s hands in hers and squeezed them reassuringly. “You don’t have to take care of my body anymore. I’m here to do that now.”

Joyce shook her head fiercely, obviously not placated by her daughter’s words. “You can’t promise you won’t get sick again Buffy. I know you want to but you can’t.”

Buffy wanted to deny her words but deep inside a small part of her was scared her mother was right. She didn’t choose to get sick the first time. How could she know it wouldn’t happen again? Thinking for a moment she offered, “What if I make you a promise that I’m pretty sure I can keep?”

Seeing Joyce’s questioning look she explained.

“Weird things were happening to me long before I went to Sunnydale. It started here in LA.” She looked steadily into her mother’s eyes, saying the words that she hoped would give them both some security for the future. “I promise you that if anything happens to me that doesn’t seem right, that doesn’t fit with the natural order of things, I will tell you. I will let you know. That way, if I can’t find a way to…” She found herself crying at the thought of leaving her mother again. She had missed her so. “If I can’t find a way to stay with you; you can take care of me till I find my way back to you.”

Gripping Buffy’s upper arms tightly Joyce pleaded, “You promise?”

Buffy nodded, surprised at the security she felt for having made such a promise. “Yes.”

Taking deep gulps of air Joyce seemed to deflate before their eyes, as if relaxing for the first time in years. “Okay.” She gave Buffy a tremulous smile. “I can learn to live with that.”

From his place at the side of the room, William stood watching them. He saw the deep love they shared for each other and decided that Buffy had been right last night. Someday. Someday everything would be okay.