Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the delay in posting. RL has been very hectic and getting time on the computer has been a challenge in itself. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. Would love to know what you think
Chapter Seven

“Will, where are we going?”

“There’s a small club at the end of this street. Nothing flashy. Just a bar and a small dance floor with a DJ. I know how you used to love to dance.” He looked at her sideways. “You do still dance don’t you?”

“Of course.” There was a moment’s silence before she asked, “Do you dance?”

He cringed. “Not really. I mean yeah I can get out there but it’s usually for the slow songs where you don’t have to move around so much. Anything more complicated and I end up looking like a monkey having an epileptic fit.”

When Buffy finally stopped laughing she was clutching onto William’s arm to stay upright. “I am so not getting up to dance by myself.”

William suddenly looked a little hesitant. “Yeah. Actually a few friends of mine will be there tonight. Including a couple of girls that will dance with anyone to anything.”

Buffy slowed down, suddenly anxious.

William came to stand in front of her, his hands gently clasping her forearms. “We don’t have to go if you don’t want to. I just thought you might like to meet a few new people.” He shrugged. “You’ll get sick of hanging out with just me eventually.”

Buffy took a moment to steady herself. Finally, she looked up at William. “Do they know about me?”

William shook his head. “They don’t know a thing. You’ve always been kind of…private, for me. You have a special place here,” he said quietly, placing one hand on his chest, “that I didn’t want to share with anyone.” He smiled broadly. “Until now.”

“Plus you know it’s not exactly the done thing. Having a friend that’s stark raving mad.”

William frowned. “Buffy that’s not it–“

“Don’t.” Buffy held up a hand to silence him. “It’s okay. I wouldn’t hold it against you if that was partly the truth.” Taking a deep breath she took his hand in hers and began leading him down the street. “Let’s go meet your friends.”

**********

The club was dimly lit. Comfortable chairs were arranged haphazardly around low tables. The small dance floor at the back of the room was filled without being overcrowded. The whole place was kind of…cozy. Buffy felt herself begin to relax immediately.

“Drink pet?”

Buffy nodded. “Just water for me please. After all that wine I need to clear my head a little.”

Grinning broadly William teased, “And here I had plans to take advantage of you later.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows at him. “Try it and I might have to kick your arse.”

“Only might?” He winked at her before taking hold of her hand again. “Come on.”

They’d just ordered their drinks at the bar when a tall dark-haired man clapped William on the back. “Hey man. I didn’t think you were coming tonight.”

“Change of plans,” William told him. “Zac, I want you to meet Buffy. Buffy, this is Zac.”

Zac took one look at Buffy and immediately dropped down on one knee, taking her hands between his. “Good evening my most beauteous of ladies. I am ever so pleased to make your acquaintance.” He kissed the back of one of her hands with a flourish.

Laughing, Buffy looked incredulously at William, who simply shrugged. “He’s the actor in the bunch.”

“Right…okay.” Buffy looked back down into Zac’s upturned face and spouted, “Why thank you kind sir. I cannot recall when last I met such a fine and courteous gentleman.”

Zac bounced to his feet energetically. “You hear that man? She thinks you’re a rude bastard. I like her already.”

**********

Buffy tried to get her racing pulse under control as she followed William and Zac across the room. Looking down at her water glass she decided she should have ordered something stronger.

“Evening all,” William announced as they approached a table with three people seated around it. He had just turned with the intention of introducing Buffy when Zac beat him to the punch.

“Guys this is Buffy.” He waggled his eyebrows. “She’s the new love of my life.”

A curvy brunette rolled her eyes and smiled at Buffy. “Don’t take any notice of him. He has a new love of his life every week.” She held out her hand in greeting. “I’m Kate. This is Abby.” She indicated the short-haired blonde sitting beside her. Then she pointed to a man with sandy blonde hair that sat quietly in the corner. “And that’s Ben.”

“Hi.” Buffy smiled brightly, praying to God she didn’t stuff this up. “It’s nice to meet you all.” She accepted the seat William pulled out for her, murmuring her thanks.

“How has everyone’s night been?” William asked.

Abby made an ‘ugh’ sound at the back of her throat. “The music has sucked. We’ve been begging Rob for something danceable but he seems determined to accommodate the drinkers tonight. All low key and moody.”

“How do you guys all know each other?” Buffy asked, hoping to make a good impression by being involved in the conversation.

William explained, “Kate and I went to college together. Kate and Abby have been friends since they were kids. Ben’s in the local writer’s group with me. And we all met Zac when he used to tend bar here. He kept giving Kate and Abby double shots when they paid for singles. Made him very popular.”

“Hey I’m an actor. What do I know about pouring drinks?” Zac defended with a sly grin. Leaning forward to grab a handful of peanuts from a bowl in the middle of the table he asked, “So Buffy, how do you and Will know each other?”

“Ahhh…we went to high school together,” she replied.

Zac turned a mock glare on William. “You’ve been hiding this lovely woman from us since high school? That’s just selfish man.”

William just shrugged. “Buffy moved away before the end of school. She just got back to town a couple of weeks ago.”

“Oh really? Where did you move to?” Kate asked innocently.

Buffy’s mouth opened and closed a couple of times as she panicked. What the hell was she supposed to say? That she moved to an imaginary world full of vampires and demons and set up shop there?

“It was a small town up the coast. Wasn’t it love?”

Buffy looked at William and saw the encouragement in his eyes. She smiled, comforted by his reassuring presence. “Yeah.” She turned back to the group with more confidence. “But I’m back in LA now. And I’m here to stay.”