Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews everyone. I do a little happy dance for every single one. : ) I hope you enjoy the chapter.
Chapter Eight

Buffy was on the dance floor with Kate and Abby. The music had finally changed to an up-tempo beat and the moment it had the two friends had dragged her up to dance with them. Buffy had just laughed as she willingly went with them. Now, William found himself staring at her as her body swayed and turned with the heavy beat of the music. She glowed with pleasure as she moved, her golden hair bouncing around her smiling face. It was like her spirit had been liberated from some oppressive darkness and she was finally free. It was like…her bag was ringing. William dragged his eyes away from Buffy’s provocative image to look for her purse. That has to be Joyce checking in, he decided.

Not wanting to disturb Buffy when she was obviously having a good time, William unclipped her purse and grabbed the phone from inside. He looked at the caller ID; not surprised when it said HOME. He answered it. “Hello Joyce.”

“Who is this?”

He could tell she was already panicking; having expected to hear Buffy answer the phone. “It’s Will. How are you this evening?”

“Oh William. I’m fine. Where is Buffy?”

“Currently?” He smiled as he glanced at Buffy and saw her raising her arms into the air in sheer abandon as she lost herself to the music. “She’s gettin’ jiggy with it.”

“Excuse me?” He could practically see her frowning at his words.

“She’s dancing. We’re at Freestylers. It’s a club on Chat Street.”

“Oh. So everything’s okay then?”

William looked up to see Buffy coming toward him. She’d obviously seen him talking on her phone.

“Everything’s fine. Here’s Buffy now.” He handed her the phone. “It’s your Mum.”

“Thanks.” She smiled gratefully and moved a short distance away from the table to use the phone.

“Okay man, time to spill.”

William turned to see Zac sitting in the chair beside him. “Spill about what?”

Zac just rolled his eyes. “About you and Buffy doofus. What’s the story with you two?”

William considered his words carefully before he spoke. “It’s like we said earlier. We’re old friends. She’s just moved back to town and we’re catching up. End of story.”

“So you aren’t dating?”

“No.”

Zac just shot him a knowing look and chuckled quietly. “You will be.”

William looked up sharply. “Why do you say that?’

“You’ve got to be kidding,” Abby declared as she and Kate rejoined them. “The way you look at her. The way she looks at you. It’s not rocket science Will.”

William looked at Buffy just as she was hanging up the phone. When she walked back over to them he asked, “Everything okay love?”

“Yeah.” She smiled but he could see the tension in her eyes. “But I should probably be getting home. Is that okay?”

“Of course.” Spike rose from the table. “We’ll be off. Night all.”

“It was great to meet you all,” Buffy added with a bright smile. “I hope to see you again soon.”

A chorus of nods and murmurs of ascent followed them out the door.

**********

William rubbed his palms together in agitation as he walked Buffy to her door. He took a sidelong glance at her, trying to gauge her mood. He wanted to kiss her goodnight. He really wanted to kiss her. But did he dare?

She’d been through so much recently. So many changes. It had to be overwhelming. Their relationship was just a small part of that and the last thing he wanted to do was push her. They were only just reconnecting as friends. Hell, this wasn’t even a real date. Was it? Damn it, he cursed to himself. I feel like I’m right back in high school.

“Thanks for tonight Will,” Buffy said softly, breaking into his jumbled thoughts. “I had a really good time.” She smiled up at him with those sparkling green eyes and William felt like he’d been gut punched. God she was beautiful.

“You’re welcome,” he croaked, forcing what he hoped was a pleasant ‘I’m not picturing ravishing you up against that door’ smile. “I had a good time too.”

“Great.” Buffy looked pleased by his comment. “I really like your friends. Thank you for taking me to meet them.”

“No problem pet.” He shrugged. “I want you to be a part of my life so…”

They stood a little awkwardly for a moment. Then a thought suddenly occurred to William and he latched onto it. “Oh hey, I was going to ask you if you’d meet me for coffee tomorrow. I’d like to talk to you about something.”

Though she was obviously baffled by the invitation, Buffy nodded without hesitation. “Sure. What time?”

“Say about 11 o’clock? At the store?”

“Okay.” She looked down into her purse for a moment, pulling out her keys. “Well…I guess I should go inside.” Despite her words she made no move to open the door.

William fought back a grin. Well if you wanted a signal, he told himself, that’s it.

Taking a step forward he closed the distance between them until they were almost touching. Gently stroking one finger along her jaw and under her chin, he tilted her head back. He saw the confused mixture of fear and excitement in her eyes and knew he had to tread lightly.

Leaning in he pressed his lips to hers. He slid one hand across her cheek, trailing it slowly down her neck. With great difficulty he forced his other hand to stay by his side, knowing that if he wrapped his arms around her, he’d be lost.

He pulled back slightly when he felt her mouth open to deepen the kiss. Allowing his lips to whisper across hers, he spoke. “Goodnight Buffy.”

She whimpered quietly and, though every fibre of his being urged him to stay, he turned and walked down the steps.

He was halfway to his car when he turned abruptly to see Buffy still standing on the porch where he’d left her. “Hey Buffy?”

She made a questioning sound, obviously still distracted by their kiss.

“See you tomorrow.” He grinned, throwing her a wink before hopping into his car. As he pulled away he couldn’t help the ear-to-ear smile that spread across his face. If his idea worked out the way he hoped, he and Buffy would be seeing a lot more of each other from now on.