CHAPTER 7 -- Regrouping Pt. 2

Buffy and Willow breezed through Angel’s office doors, only to come screeching to a halt. Standing in the middle of the room with her back to them was a raven haired woman. She whipped around at their entrance.

Her eyes roamed over Buffy’s body, lips curling up on one side, “Hey B.” It was a greeting she hadn’t heard in three years. Over that time she had not grown to like it any more than the first time the brunette had said it.

Faith was another contract killer. She was brought in by Angel four years ago and was immediately given the same status as Buffy, who had been working for him as an assassin for several years already. The girls hadn’t exactly taken to each other, an event Angel had to have known would take place. Faith’s method of killing contrasted directly with Buffy’s. Faith didn’t do her research. If she was told to kill someone, she didn’t take the time to be methodical about it. Her habit of killing innocents almost outweighed her ability to get the right person killed. Her sloppiness had landed her in a coma after killing an undercover cop -- one of the few that wasn’t on Angel’s payroll -- and trying to frame Buffy for it. People around the office claimed it was Buffy that had thrashed her, the blonde didn’t try to deny it. The story was she snapped out of the coma a couple months ago. Until this moment, Buffy had suspected it was only a rumor.

“Where were you a couple minutes ago, B? Me and Angel were having a little fun on his desk. Knives were involved, you should have been there.”

Faith picked up a lethal looking knife off Angel’s unoccupied desk, nonchalantly tossing it up in the air, “Although, knives were never really your thing, were they? You never found joy in the kill. It’s an art form, really. Even that year we tried to work together, you never let me torture them.”

“Because it was wrong.”

“They’re bad people, B . . . cheaters, liars, child molesters. All these people threaten your precious little world. You’ve killed more people than I have, what’s makes you such a saint?”

“I don’t kill people for the fun of it. And I don’t kill people who are innocent.”

“This is the twenty-first century -- everybody’s guilty.” Buffy knew Faith was simply trying to instigate her by proving Buffy was no better than herself -- a conscienceless killer. Buffy may be immune to the horrific actions she takes to do her job, but not conscienceless, it took a person like Faith to remind her of that.

“What are you doing here Faith?” Buffy spat.

“Here to clean up your mess apparently.”

“What mess?”

“Your last little exploit didn’t go so well.”

“We were shot at by four gunman!”

“And you should have seen it coming,” Angel’s voice floated to them. Buffy pivoted around, Angel had come through the door on the far end of the rectangle room, buttoning his shirt. “You never work in that part of the city, you should have taken the proper measures and made sure the area was clear.”

“I did and they weren’t there,” Buffy’s voice lowered, her eyes glaring. She didn’t like to be ganged up on. Willow looked on silently. She never talked during these meetings, they tended to get violent.

“You didn’t here them or see them?”

“No. But that’s beside the point now, isn’t it? What’s she doing here?”

Faith answered her question, “The hit was put out on Spike. You couldn’t get the job done so the contract goes to me.”

Buffy’s eyes went wild, “No, I’ll do it. I can kill this guy.”

“You’ve already proven that you can’t, B.”

“Shut the fuck up, this has nothing to do with you.” She turned to her boss. “I’m not asking you for another chance, because you don’t give those. I’m not a fucking idiot, I know you give more time for a hit to be done.”

Angle shook his head, “He knows who you are. He might have already gone to the cops to have them bust you.”

“No he didn’t,” Buffy countered.

“And how can you be so sure?”

“Because he’s been hired to kill me, too.”

Angel’s eyes lit up, “Really? Now this could be interesting. Two assassins hired to kill each other. You don’t see this kind of stuff in the movies.”

Faith could see where this was going and objected, “But boss, you told me . . . .”

“Faith, I’ll give you Buffy’s contracts for the rest of the year.” Faith seemed satisfied with the exchanged and said nothing. Buffy didn’t object to the money she’d be losing.

Angel looked over his petite assassin, “Maybe Buffy’s wrong, maybe I do give second chances.”

TBC