Author's Chapter Notes:
This will be an angsty story, the prologue not excluded so be forewarned. I am planning on putting up a warning on any chapter that has an over abundance *cough LIKE THIS ONE cough* but I did just want to put it out there in the beginning. I also want to say that I am not in the medical field. Please excuse any terminology that may be off, and I am also not from the LA area, I know that there is a Mattel Children's hospital located there but I've never been there so I'm not sure what the landscape is like, what the interior looks like, or evern if they actually have a garden....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Cover Art by NoaluvJames


Prologue:

Captured in a photograph
In black & white
Her hair brushes her shoulders
As she leans to turn out the light
She's warm and you can feel her
But she can't feel you
No she's just too numb to move

Captured in a photograph
Without a frame
I see you standing tall
But i see no face to blame
And did she say she loved you
Well you know that's really nice
Because they say that when she cries
Her tear drops turn they turn to ice

Let her feel the rain
Won't you let her feel again
Feeling through the pain
Won't you let her feel the rain
Upon her face
Let her feel the rain
Won't you let her feel the rain
Upon her face.

Captured in a photograph
Inside her eyes
She'll wrap you in her blanket
And then she'll tell you some lies
And you will kneel before her
At her altar in the trees
Because they say no matter who you are
She'll bring you to your knees.

Let her feel the rain...


It was late. He’d been on for the past 48 hours and was looking forward to being able to go home, have a decent meal and some actual sleep, something that the small cots in the Staff’s quarters of the hospital could not provide.

“Dr. Giles?”

“Dawn,” he said on a sigh as he turned to face her. “I’ve told you repeatedly to call me Dr. William, or just William for that matter. Dr. Giles sounds so stuffy, makes the little ones uncomfortable.”

“Yes sir, and I’m sure to start any day now.” She smiled at their joke. Dr. William Giles was the most laid back Pediatric Heart Surgeon working at Mattel Children’s hospital in Los Angeles, but he was also one of the best. Parents demanded to work with him, and children seemed to gravitate towards him. Dawn supposed it was because he made them feel so comfortable. That, and he was, in his own right, a large kid himself. It wasn’t uncommon for nurses to find Dr. Giles entertaining children in their rooms while doing rounds. He was a master at making balloon animal, and reading Harry Potter because he always “did the voices”. “I know that you’re leaving but I need you to sign these release papers for the Adam’s boy.”

“Oh yeah!” William exclaimed as he took the papers from her and signed them quickly. “I forgot that little Michael was going home tomorrow. Please tell him that I’m sorry I won’t be here to see him off but I’ll make sure to see him when he comes in for his first follow up visit.”

“I will Dr. Gi…”

“AHEM!” William interrupted her, crossing his arms feigning frustration.

“DR. GILES!” Dawn finished over his admonishing. “I said that I was sure to start any day now. That doesn’t mean today, and don’t pout, it makes you look old.” She said trying not to laugh. “Have a good night Will. Get some rest!”

“I will, try not to work too hard you stubborn bint.” With that William turned to leave, “and I believe the term is “Ruggedly handsome”, not “Old””.

“You wish!” Dawn shouted to his retreating form before rolling her eyes and returning to the nurses' station.

***

Stepping out of the elevator, William headed towards the employee exit on the west side of the hospital. He enjoyed leaving from this side of the building, even though it meant a little more of a walk for his tired feet. The hallway was lined with windows over looking the hospital gardens. The gardens were beautifully decorated with wrought iron benches and shrubs landscaped to look like different children’s storybook characters. He noticed that it had started to rain, giving the gardens a gloomy façade as opposed to its usually cheerful atmosphere. William had almost rounded the corner of the long windowed hallway when he noticed someone sitting outside in the rain. What looked to be a young blonde woman was sitting on one of the benches in the middle of the garden common area. William noted she did not have an umbrella, as she was thoroughly soaked and appeared to be holding something in her arms. Tired, and ready to get home, he started to walk the rest of the way to his car but curiosity and the sheer “doctor” in him won out and he found himself turning toward the entrance of the gardens, stepping outside and heading straight for the petite blonde woman. Not wanting to startle her, he approached the girl slowly. When he finally stood beside the bench she occupied he noticed the small bundle the she was carrying was in fact a baby. Still swaddled in the pink blanket she had been given when she was born, the baby began to cry as the rainwater splashed onto her head and face. Concerned, William decided he needed to try to get them both inside and dry.

“Excuse me Ms., are you okay?” William whispered not sure if she could hear him over the pouring rain. “Can I get you some help, or would you maybe like an umbrella?” William waited to see if the girl would answer him. At first he thought that she couldn’t hear him and was about to try again when he saw her shake her head.

“No, no umbrella. We’re fine, please leave us alone.”

“I’m sorry Ma’m, I don’t mean to pry, but you’re soaked through and there’s a bit of a chill in the air which can’t be good for the little one. At least let me walk you in side and we’ll get you both looked after yeah?” He was giving her one more opportunity to come with him. If she refused him this time he’d have to take it up with security.

“You don’t understand,” this time she looked up at him and he could see the mixture of rain and tears on her red-rimmed eyes and face. “I’m doing this for her.” As if on queue the baby began to wail again, the woman lifted her legs so that she was positioned Indian style on the bench and lifted the little girl to her shoulder cradling her there with her head tucked under her chin. “My baby is about to die, and I want her to, just once, feel the rain on her skin before she does. I don’t have anywhere to go, or anything else to give her.”

William was speechless. His heart broke for the young mother and for the baby she held in her arms. He’d made a career out of easing the minds and fears of parents by healing their children when all hope was lost and he was undeniably good at his job. He was struck with an uncontrollable urge to comfort this woman, to make her as warm as possible and to fight off the darkness that was inevitably coming. Without a word he sat down on the wet bench beside her and slowly put his arm around her shoulder. She leaned into his slight embrace, welcoming the comfort he was so willingly giving her.

“What’s your name luv?” he asked, pulling her closer to him as the rainfall began to slacken.
“Elizabeth,” she whispered, adjusting the baby so that she was nestled in between them cooing softly, “and this is Lilly”.

Song at the beginning “Let her Feel the Rain” by Tara Maclean