“Spike! Spike get up.”
“Mmm what!?” Spike grumbled trying to pull his quilt over his head.
“Get up now and listen to me.” Giles grumbled annoyed but how hard it was to wake his son in the morning.
“What is it?” Spike asked sitting up and wiping sleep from his eyes.
“I need your help…down at the shelter.” Giles sighed.
“What...dad it’s a Saturday, come on!” Spike whined so not wanting to work today.

Spike’s father and mother had bought a small hotel a few years ago and had turned it into a shelter for runaways and homeless people. It was their way of helping out people less fortunate than them and even though Spike did try to help them out when he could he had only actually visited the place 2 or 3 times.

“Look that’s all I need you to do is a few odd jobs. There’s a wall in one of the rooms for instance that needs to be painted.” Giles said.
“Fine give me a few minutes then.” Spike sighed getting out of bed and heading into the bathroom.



“Spike you came!” Jenny smiled hugging her son tightly.
“Yer mum you got me. Now where do you need me?” Spike asked.
“Actually you can start by repainting that wall if you’d like.” Jenny asked indicating a wall in the foyer that was the only yellow wall in the place. Spike strode over and picked up the few buckets of white paint he found before beginning his work. Spike was half way through painting the wall when he heard a familiar voice behind him.
“Thanks Mrs Giles…I wont stay here long only a couple of days.” Buffy sighed looking down at her feet as she stood in front of Jenny. Spike mouth dropped when he saw Buffy talking to his mother as if she knew her.

Since when?!

“Oh it’s no problem dear. Anytime you need me…I’ll even offer you a room at my house if you need it.” Jenny smiled at the girl.
“No its okay I don’t want to impose its not that bad anyway.” Buffy smiled.

Spike was sure he’d never be able to pick his jaw back up when he saw his mum give Buffy a loving hug before leaving Buffy to go help his father carry in a new table for the cafeteria here. Spike dropped his paintbrush and walked over to Buffy tapping her on the shoulder gently. She turned round and jumped when she realised who was standing there.

“Spike!” Buffy exclaimed shocked at seeing him here.
“Buffy? What are you doing here? I’ve never seen you here before?” Spike asked gently.
“I'm not staying here…just for a little bit.” Buffy sighed.
Spike saw the fresh bruise under Buffy’s eye and knew something else had happened. Before he knew it he lifted a hand to ghost across the bruise on her face before tucking a stray strand of her golden hair behind her ear.

Jenny and Giles who were standing close by shared a questioning look before looking back at the obviously touching moment between their son and Buffy Summers.

Interesting.

Jenny thought taking in the worried look on her son’s face.

“What happened this time?” Spike asked.
“Nothing.” Buffy replied hastily moving back after realising how close they were.
“Yer sure” Spike sighed.
“Come on…make yourself useful and help me paint this damn wall.” Spike smiled at her hoping she’d accept. Buffy smiled at him before striding to the wall and picking up a brush beginning where Spike left off. Spike grinned shaking his head and picking up his own brush together they finished the job, laughing at each other along the way.
By the time Buffy had helped Spike finish painting the wall and replacing a bedroom door. It was almost 7 and Spikes parents had long gone home telling Spike to be home by midnight.

“So you hungry pet?” Spike asked.
“Yeah…you don’t want to eat here though…the foods gross.” Buffy shuddered imagining the green glop she had eaten last night.
“Well I figure we can order pizza…you got a room here right?” Spike asked.
“Yep.” Buffy nodded leading him upstairs and too her room which was on the fourth floor.


Half an hour later Buffy and Spike sat crossed legged on her bed halfway through a pizza.
“I'm telling you one day he will walk through those doors wearing a loin cloth yelling “Cordy mine! Cordy mate with me not you” club her over the head and drag her back out.” Buffy joked referring to Angel’s obsession with Cordelia. Spike burst out laughing barely being able to breathe at the imagery.
“That would be the funniest thing I’d ever see.” Spike chuckled to himself.
They lapsed into silence then both just enjoying the others company.

I can’t believe we’re actually hanging out…like friends or something.

Buffy smiled to herself. This was the longest time Buffy had spent alone with a boy without having to do something with him.
“Pet?” Spike sighed dropping a crust into the pizza box.
“What?” She asked knowing whatever he was going to ask she wasn’t going to like. She could tell by the hesitation in his voice.
“Who give you that bruise?” Spike rushed out hoping she wouldn’t shut down like all the other times.
“My dad.” Buffy sighed finally admitting it.

I can’t be bothered to lie anymore.

“Your dad hit you?” Spike asked in shock not believing that any father could hit their child no matter how scummy they were. Buffy just nodded sadly.
“I'm guessing this wasn’t the first time.” Spike guessed at the acceptance in her eyes.
“That’s funny…the first time he hit me felt like a lifetime ago…It was a month after we buried my mom. He was drunk and I needed to go to the bathroom I saw him crying and went over to help him but I just made him angry. Didn’t want me to see him crying I guess. He smacked me across the face.” Buffy shrugged.
“Buffy im so sorry.” Spike said not really knowing what to say.

“Don’t worry about it im used to it. It’s been almost 8 years now…ive had worse.” Buffy snorted taking a sip of her cola.
“Devon for instance.” Spike said casually.
Buffy’s head snapped up and she stared at Spike mistrustfully.
“How do you know about Devon?” She asked unconsciously moving away form Spike and wrapping her arms around herself.

“He said he slept with you five days ago…that was when you came in with all the bruises. I figured it out myself.” Spike growled feeling his hate for Devon boil up.
“You should go to the police pet…you can’t let him get away with…with rape.” Spike spat out the last word disgusted that something like that could happen to the girl in front of him.

God Spike you’re a fool for getting this close.

“Rape?” Buffy laughed scathingly.
“Spike no one would ever call it rape. I'm the class whore remember I give it up to everyone just cause Devon likes to make me hurt doesn’t mean I don’t let him do it.” She looked down ashamed at herself.
“Buffy do you want to sleep with Devon?” Spike asked holding her face up so he could look into her tear filled eyes.
Buffy shook her head gently trying to blink away the tears.

“Then why do you do it?” Spike asked completely baffled.
“My dad…it all leads back to my dad Spike. I can never leave him not until im 18 anyhow so in two years yeah I can finally leave but until then I have to do whatever my dad says Spike…Its just easier that way.” She sighed looking up at Spike with pain filled eyes for once letting someone see the true her. Spike saw the tears begin to stream down her face and he pulled her too him trying to comfort her best he could while she sobbed into his chest. After a few minutes her sobs died down and she realised what she was doing.


“I'm sorry. I'm a freak you don’t need this.” Buffy grumbled wiping her tears and moving away.
“Hey you’re not a freak okay. I'm sorry you’re trapped in this life Buff I really am. Why don’t you stay here?” Spike asked.
“No Spike I hate it here it makes me feel even weaker than when im with my dad.” She said.
“I wish there was something I could do Promise me that you’ll at least stay here for the week.” Spike asked pleadingly placing a kiss on top of her head.
“Okay…I promise.” Buffy gave in leaning into his embrace happily


Over half an hour went by in silence both just sitting there listening to the rain that had began to fall outside.
“I have to go.” Spike mumbled breaking the silence.
“I know.” Buffy pulled out of his arms and sat back on the bed. Spike stood and walked towards the door slowly.

“Spike...”

Spike turned around to look at Buffy sat in the middle of her bed looking at him as if he had just performed a miracle.
“Thank You.” Her voice was so soft he only just caught it but the words hit a part of him inside that had seem to come to life every time he was near her.
He nodded at her not trusting himself to speak and walked out the door.



“Spike!?” Jenny asked from her place on the couch when she heard the front door open. The clock read 11 o’clock which meant Spike had spent more than ten hours at the shelter. Usually he spent about an hour helping out before leaving going to hang with his friends or coming home.
“Hello mum. What’s the matter?” Spike asked walking in and standing near the door.
“Oh nothing… what did you do after we left?” Jenny asked curious as to what had happened between him and the little blonde girl to make him want to stay ten hours in a place he loathed.

“Not a lot ordered pizza talked with Buffy mostly.” Spike said casually.
“Hmm she’s quiet a girl isn’t she?” Jenny pressed trying to get a reaction out of Spike and the dreamy look he got in his eyes when she mentioned her name was answer enough.
“Well yeah don’t know her that well though.” Spike coughed trying to act as if he hardly knew her when in fact he probably knew her better than he knew anyone else except for his parents of course.

“You like her don’t you?” Jenny asked quietly worried about what her son was getting into. Buffy seemed like such a lovely girl but she herself had heard some rumours and Buffy had came to the shelter countless times with bruises and cuts that she never explained.
“No course not mum. She’s not like me her dads a drug addict and she’s got the worst reputation in town…I could never like her.” He said firmly as if trying to convince himself.

Wish it would work.

Spike turned and left his mother sitting there smiling after him. Even though she had her doubts she had never seen her son in such a state over a girl before.