Chapter 10

dedicated to Ashlee and Starbrite...two new shining stars on the spuffy horizon thank you for your kindness and enthusiasm. As Starbrite says : you two rock!

*********************************************************************************

Willow and Tara moved around the kitchen with a practiced ease that came from lots of time spent at Buffy’s house. Especially since everyone knew that Buffy was a lousy cook.

Orange juice was poured and milk sat out with sugar for coffee, hot cakes and sausages were served up as the twosome bumped into one another and giggled smiling at each other in the morning sun.

“BUFFY…..SPIKE….” Willow hollered at the top of her lungs making Tara cringe and plug her ears with a sweet laughing smile.

“I think you woke up poor deaf Mr. Westerly next door too sweetie.” She teased picking up a cup of black coffee and sipping it as Spike pushed open the door his hair a mess and his clothes rumpled. It was clear he hadn’t slept very well at all.

“Where’s Buffy?” Willow asked handing him a cup of coffee and then watching him in growing amazement as he dumped half the bowl of sugar into it. “Might want some coffee with your sugar there sport.” She said with a wry grin as he merely scowled at her and took a drink before answering.

“Don’t know where she is. You bellowed,” he ignored her arched brow, “ and I came in here thinking she’d be here with you two birds.”

Willow started to answer when a fresh as a daisy Buffy bounced into the room. Clearly the night had done wonders for her but what about Spike? Tara and Willow exchanged a look with one another as Buffy breezed by him giving him a kiss on the cheek and made her way to the fridge pulling out a carton of non fat yogurt.

“Uh….Buffy? We kinda sorta made breakfast for everyone.” Willow said not really sure what was going on but wanting to say something, anything.

“Oh….” She stopped and looked over the heaping mounds of meat and flapjacks and then wrinkled up her nose. “No thanks guys, I mean…I got a date tonight..I’ve got to keep myself from getting all round bellied right?”

“Bloody…”
“WHAT?”
“Buffy….”

Spike stood abruptly and left the kitchen growling out something about a shower as he stalked past Tara.

“Buffy I can’t believe you did that.” Willow looked at her friend angrily her green eyes flashing. “Why would you say that after what Spike told you yesterday?”

Buffy tilted her head and looked genuinely confused. “Huh? What did he tell me yesterday?”

Willow sat down throwing her hands up and looking thoroughly exasperated turning her pleading eyes to Tara.

“He told you that he was in love with you…remember sweetie?” Tara asked gently a worried look marring her normally calm features.

“Oh….” Buffy giggled nervously, “That…he was just kidding….he doesn’t love me…I mean…how could he?” She asked stirring her yogurt in growing agitation. “I mean…I’m nothing….I’m just…..” She whispered a silent tear gliding down her cheeks, “he deserves better…not a …..slut.” The last words were said so quietly Willow and Tara almost didn’t hear but they did.

Willow stood up and took the yogurt from her hands and set it aside and hugged Buffy, “You’ll have to get over this, we need to get you over this, he loves you very much, he won’t leave you, we won’t leave you…” She leaned back her resolve face firmly in place. “We need to find you some help, some real professional help, and you need to tell your mother and Giles what happened.”

Buffy shook her head violently trying to break from Willow’s grasp, “No…..NO….I don’t want them to know, they’ll hate me.” She cried out her eyes welling with tears as she struggled.

Tara came up and brushed Buffy’s hair from her eyes and looked at her seriously. “ I just found out and I don’t hate you, why would your family want anything but the best for you?”

Buffy looked at the soft spoken girl thoughtfully before she looked again at Willow, “I….I’ll go to a counselor…but no telling my mom OR Giles.” She said fervently “Please? Not until I can come to grips with this myself?”

Willow nodded, “ I don’t like it but I’m glad you’re willing to go talk to someone about it. We’ll make an appointment for Fred tomorrow.”

Tara smiled at the thought of the brainy sweet tempered therapist that had helped her get over her own family issues not so long ago. “You’ll like her Buffy, she’s very good.”

Buffy nodded sniffling a bit and gnawing on her lip as she looked towards the ceiling, “I should go apologize. I don’t really have a date. I…I… just think Spike deserves better is all.”

Willow hugged her again and nodded. “Go.” She said prodding her towards the door to the living room.


“I’m sorry.”

Spike sighed deeply hearing the words drift through the shower curtain. Leaning down he turned off the taps and rested his head against the tiles before pushing off of them and poking his head out.

“Could ya hand me a towel pet?”

Buffy looked up her eyes teary as she handed him the towel.

“I don’t really have a date tonight.” She tried again wanting to keep her mind off of what was going on behind the shower curtain. “I’m just….” She bit her lip looking down at her fingers as she picked at the cuticles nervously, “ I told them I’d go to a therapist.”

Spike pulled the curtain away and felt his heart break at the sight of his cousin so small and insecure once again. Stepping from the shower the towel knotted around his hips he pulled her into his embrace and kissed the top of her head.

Her tears wet his chest as she snuggled into his warm damp skin just happy that she was forgiven.

“I’m scared Spike.” She whispered not sure if he would hear her.

He nodded against her and caressed her back soothingly, “I know you are luv, but I’m here, Willow’s here and so is Tara. All of us are here for you. Lean on us.” He said moving to tilt her chin up so he could see into her damp green eyes, “Please?”

She nodded a bit shakily her smile wobbly but he was happy that she gave him a smile. “And don’t lie to me like that ever again, I can’t take it.”

“Oh god….I know…I’ll never…I promise….ever……I don’t know what’s wrong…..”She babbled in a rush of words that had him smiling gently at her before silencing her with a finger to her lips.

“All I care about is you pet. That means here,” he touched the side of her forehead, “as well as here.” He touched the area of her heart sincerely. “Don’t push me away because you’re scared. Scared is ok. Scared is good in fact. Means you’re still with me and believe me luv, that’s all I want. You…with me. You understand?”

She nodded again and smiled as she stood on tiptoes and brushed a sweet kiss on his lips. “I’ll let you get dressed now but I was thinking maybe we should make a picnic and just spend the day relaxing by the pool?” She said asking him shyly as if he turn her down.

He ran a hand over her cheek and smiled down at her. “That sounds perfect luv, just bring me my swim trunks that I left here and we’ll be set to go. Our own little private picnic with the birds.”

She smiled and moved towards the door and opening it stopping only long enough to say, “thank you Spike, for everything.” Then she disappeared out the door leaving a surprised but relieved young man in her wake.




A/N: We’re gonna get to some sweetness soon peeps so try to be patient. I know I’m known for the hot sex stuff but I can actually write a story too can’t I? Or am I just a one trick pony? *sniffles* Review and let me feel the love? Pretty please?