AN: The feedback has been so great on this story I can't express what it means to me. And for the record...Spike and Buffy are only related by Marriage not blood!!! If it bugs you still I suggest you read The Sitter by Pagan Baby or MY other story Hedging Their Bets which is about two FULL brothers having relations ...sheesh...it's a story folks. But for the rest of you very sweet people, more please?! :) *oh and kisses to my loveliest PaganBaby...my partner in crime :)*


Chapter 2
************

Spike felt like he'd been drug through the lowest pits of hell. After his argument with Buffy he had gotten into his car and torn through downtown, found a liquor store that didn't card and drank himself into a weeping incoherent heap in the back seat down some dark alley.

"Bloody soddin hell." He said holding his hand to his forehead trying to ward off the pounding in his skull. The bright California sunshine flooding through the window didn't help either. *What time is it?*

Digging into his tight black jeans he pulled out an ancient looking gold pocket watch and squinted at it, "Bloody soddin hell." It was 8:10 a.m. with any luck he could still make it to school in time to not be counted absent. He flipped the watch cover closed and stuffed it back into his pocket thinking,*Though that may not be such a bad thing.*

Wistfully he sighed as that fantasy was blown to bits and replaced by Buffys tearful face instead. Shaking his aching head and muttering to himself he moved out of the backseat of the DeSoto and slid over the front into the drivers seat, "No mate you gotta a mission to see a girl."

The engine responded with a roar as Spike hightailed it in the direction of the high school on a quest to make things right again.


************************

20 minutes later

**************************

Willow Rosenberg looked at the clock and shared a slightly concerned look with her girlfriend Tara McClay from across the aisle. *Buffy was an absentee this morning and Spike had yet to show either. What the hell?* Frowning at the clock again she tapped her pencil anxiously on her books. A few minutes later Tara reached over and silenced it nodding at Spike as he trudged into the classroom hair askew, unshaven, and looking like he definitely spent the night in his clothes at the bottom of a bottle.

"Nice of you to join us Mr. Devereux," the homeroom teacher called out sarcastically at his back as he walked down the row and slumped into his seat in front of Willow already noting Buffy's empty one.

Willow sat forward to tap on his shoulder when the sudden wafting scent of cheap alcohol hit her full force. Pinching her nose distastefully she poked him in one leather covered shoulder with her pencil.

"Spike,"she whispered one eye on the teacher, " where's Buffy? And what the hell happened to you?"

Spike didn't answer at all, instead he dropped his head onto his arms on top of the desk just far enough she couldn't reach and ignored her.

Willow sat back and looked at Tara shrugging at her wide eyed gaze before turning back around. *Maybe everything was ok? I mean Buffy could really be sick. And Spike has been known to go on a bender or two in the past.* She thought to herself as she stared at the back of Spike's leather coat. *But that's only when his father is around and he's still in South America. And Spike always knows where Buffy is, hell he brings her to school everyday doesn't he?*

Willow's forehead creased just a bit as she tried to puzzle out what was going on, *Ok this is just weird.*

The bell finally rang ending the first period. As she gathered up her books fully intent on talking to him, Spike tapped her on the arm being sure to turn his still red tear stained eyes away when she glanced up. "Goin home Red," and with that he turned and left so quickly she couldn't even ask again where Buffy was. *Definitely weird.*

"Tara," she said, "Get your stuff, you and me got a certain perky blond to visit."


****************************************

Buffy hadn't moved from the couch since she had ended up sobbing her heart out on it last night. She hadn't slept either. The awful words she and Spike had spat at each other kept coming back over and over to haunt her. Every time she thought she was done, a fresh new bout was hot on it's heels to send her whirling all over again.

Curling her feet more tightly under her she listlessly watched as the bubbly news crew for Fox news argued over some inane factoid for the day. *Why would he act like that?* She asked herself not wanting to admit what she knew deep in her heart. *He can't...he...no...no Buffy it's not like that. He's just being an asshole. He's being an overprotective, card carrying, neolithic caveman, asshole.*

Brushing the tears that crept down her face once again she let out a shuddery sigh. *But then why does it bug you so much?* An even smaller voice whispered to her. *It doesn't,* she told that voice firmly squashing it back down, * I don't care at all what he thinks of me. Not at all.* But the tears began in earnest again as her heart ached painfully with each word coming back to her. Pulling the quilt from the back of the couch she covered herself entirely and tried to will her foolish heart into letting her sleep.


***************************************

Willow and Tara left the school grounds and hopped into Willow's bright red Karmen Ghia neither of them talking until they were strapped in and on the road. "Somethings wrong Tara," Willow said as she drove quickly towards their missing friends house, "Spike always knows where Buffy is and when he said he was leaving he wouldn't look at me."

"Do you suppose they had a fight or something? I mean that could be it right?" Tara offered the worry in her voice also evident.

Willow glanced at her girlfriend with a pensive look on her face, "I hope that's all it is, but they never fight. Not since he cut her Barbie Dolls hair into a mohawk a long time ago." Smiling slightly at the fond memory of Buffy chasing a then dark haired William through the yard and then threatening to dress his G.I.Joe doll in a dress, Willow hoped that it was just something small and not something unforgivable.

Chewing on her lower lip she drove even faster in single minded pursuit of her destination.


TBC