Chapter 6

AN: this chapter deals with an emotional state called Stockholm Syndrome. This syndrome comes into play when a captive cannot escape and is isolated and threatened with death, but is shown token acts of kindness by the captor. It typically takes about three or four days for the psychological shift to take hold.

Anyone not comfortable with this may want to stop reading here, I will be getting into Buffy’s torture to move the story along and hopefully convey why she is having sexual troubles and emotional troubles.

I have been a victim of physical abuse and mental abuse so please do NOT take offense; it is simply to convey her feelings and outlook. Spike will be brought into this and he will be helping her over it so never fear!!!! I am a Spuffy writer and I am faithful to the Spuffy goodness!
**********************************************************************



Buffy cried for almost a week before she would tell me….before she confessed.”

“What? What did she confess Willow?” Tara prodded gently almost fearing the next words out of her mouth.

“That Knox was the one ….who took her a year before and raped her.”

**********************************************************************************



Tara gasped her hand flying to her mouth as she took in everything she had been told. Buffy raped and tortured for 3 days, then somehow let go, Buffy becoming sexually promiscuous and then dating the very man that had hurt her.

“I’ve read something……” Tara muttered getting up and going to her book bag pulling out her laptop and sitting back down on the couch. After a couple of seconds of tapping on the keyboard she turned the screen so that Willow could see it.

Stockholm Syndrome jumped out at her in huge letters. As Willow read she nodded saying, “yes….yes…that’s it…that’s how she’s been acting.” Looking up at Tara, Willows eyes were huge but she said with firm resolve. “Ok we gotta talk to Buffy and find out just what he did to her.”

As Willow started to get up from the couch Tara grabbed her arm stopping her, “Wait…I need to know….why didn’t you call the police that night?”

Willow’s resolve left her in a rush as she slumped back down onto the couch picking at the edge of her t-shirt nervously. “Well…..you know I said that there was an accident? And then there was the open door and no Buffy?” Tara nodded pulling Willows hands from her shirt. “There was a note.” She half choked half whispered. “And then the phone rang….he…he was on the other end…said that if I called the police he’d kill her. Said that if I stayed at the house waiting for her he’d kill her. He said that he would release her in 3 days and then he hung up.” The tears began in earnest as she choked trying to tell Tara the story. “I was so scared…I didn’t know what to do, so I drove back to Sunnydale.”

“Oh Willow,” Tara’s aggrieved reply came.

“But I did…I did tell the police…..I got home and I just couldn’t not tell them. They said there was nothing they could do because it wasn’t their jurisdiction and to call the Los Angeles police. So I did that too…..but they said that a person isn’t considered missing for at least 24 hours so there was nothing they could do until the next night. I didn’t bring the note with me so they couldn’t use it as evidence of a kidnapping. They agreed to stop by the house and look around but there was nothing. The house was locked up and quiet, the note was gone, there was just….nothing.” Willow collapsed into her lover’s arms sobbing out a story that tore at Tara’s heart. “ If I had the note, if there had been signs of forced entry ….anything….they could have started looking sooner. But they couldn’t and they didn’t and then Buffy showed up calling me. We called the police like I said, but Buffy never told them who it was. She never told me. Until….”


“Until he went to jail.” Tara finished for her.

“Until he went to jail.” Willow repeated.

Smoothing the tears off of Willow’s crumpled and pale cheeks Tara nodded. “We need to talk to Buffy about this but first we need to tell Spike.” At Willow’s starting protest Tara said, “He loves her, he needs to know Willow. He’ll help her, you know he will.”

Willow nodded hearing the truth of her words. “We’ll tell Spike first…but we need to check on Buffy now.”

Tara took Willows hand in hers and climbed the staircase gently knocking on the door of the bathroom. When there was no reply Willow opened it and saw that it was now empty. She then turned to Buffy’s bedroom door, and cautiously opened it, breathing a sigh of relief when she saw her friend asleep in her bed.

Closing the door again quietly she turned to Tara and said, “Call Spike we need to talk.”


2 Hours later

Spike ran his hand over his now thoroughly disheveled hair pain etched into his normally handsome features.

“I’m so sorry Spike.” Willow said for what had to be the thousandth time that evening as Tara squeezed her hand letting her know she made the right decision. “I …I never knew you felt about her like you do….I should have told you anyways, you’ve always looked after her. She needed you and I let her down….”

“ You did what she asked, what she begged you to do. It’s ok baby…everything will be ok.” Tara said quietly.

Spike looked up his blue eyes thick with unshed tears for the girl he loved, for the words he had so callously flung at her, and for the innocence she had lost. Leaning back in the chair he pulled his Marlboro’s out of his pocket and lit one inhaling the calming nicotine and then blowing it out slowly.

“You did what you thought you should Wills.” He said staring at the ceiling for a moment before leaning forward to her and gripping her other hand with his free one. “You’re a good friend to her and don’t you ever forget that you hear me?” He asked offering her a watery smile that she returned. “We’re just gonna have to get her to come clean about the whole thing now, with us…with her mum…even with herself.”

Willow nodded withdrawing her hand and mopping at her eyes with the sleeve of her t-shirt, “ I know…but she’s not gonna like it. She’s gonna fight it every inch of the way Spike. You know her.”

Pulling his lean form up he stubbed his cigarette out in an ashtray and then moved to stand at the bottom of the stairs looking up in the direction of Buffy’s room.

“I know Willow, but we have to for her sake. I can’t just leave her like this ….I won’t…I…I love her Willow, she’s my world.”

With that quiet statement he went upstairs leaving the two girls in the living room to comfort each other.

Stepping into Buffy’s room he closed the door behind himself and took off his boots. Carefully he lay down on the bed, jumping a bit when Buffy turned and snuggled into his arms.

“I knew you’d come back….I just knew it.” She whispered her silent tears running down her face and soaking his shirt.

Wrapping his arms around her he held her through the night whispering, “Spikes here, nothing’s going to hurt you ever again.”