Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it's late, I got half of it done and then got sick and couldn't finish it. Also, did I get Dawn's age right? Please review!
Spike paced back and forth across the room. “What are we going to do about this? It’s unbelievable!”

Buffy watched him while she sat on a leather chair in the main room of the apartment. “Stop pacing, you’re making me dizzy. Besides, it isn’t exactly a life or death situation. Apocalypses are life and death situations. Trust me. I’ve died twice. Well, I guess you have, too, but that’s not the point… I mean it, stop pacing!”

Spike stopped and turned around to look at her. “I’m sorry. I’m just so nervous. This shouldn’t be happening! It‘s just not right!”

“I thought the person actually going on the first date was supposed to be the nervous one,” Buffy teased as he sat down next to her. “Well, there was that one time she kissed a vampire, but I don’t consider that a ‘date.’”

“She isn’t old enough to do this, though! She should be waiting until she’s 30!” Spike protested, clearly stressed about the entire situation.

“You know, you really are more of a father to Dawn than Hank is.”

“You take that back! I’m not a father figure, I’m evil!” Spike said, shifting into game face. Even to his own ears it sounded pathetic.

“Whatever you say, honey. I don’t see why it even matters to you anymore, though,” Buffy replied.

Spike changed back into his human guise with a sad look. “Well, I still have to at least try to keep my reputation up… So, back to the topic at hand. You do know I’ll kill him before Dawn goes out with him, right?”

“You haven’t even met him yet!” Buffy said with an exasperated sigh. “At least give him a chance!”

“Fine,” Spike agreed.

***

Buffy watched as Dawn rushed in when she heard a knock on the door.

“Do I look okay?” Dawn asked worriedly. She was clearly freaking out.

Buffy was about to say something when Spike interrupted her. “You look wonderful, but he’s not going to see you,” he said as he opened the door. Then, to the young man standing patiently outside the door, he said, “Sorry, Dawn’s not here right now, I guess your date is cancelled,” before slamming the door in his face.

“Spike!” two voices yelled at him. Buffy continued with, “I can’t believe you just did that!”

Buffy went over and reopened the door and called down the hall to the teenager. “I’m so sorry! He didn’t mean that! She’s right here, how about you come back and talk with us?” She felt sorry for John. He looked up, not quite sure what to think of Dawn’s family. They seemed so strange, and yet entirely like any other family.

As John started back toward their door, Dawn gave one more spin. “I do look okay, right?” she asked Buffy. She had thought of wearing a dress, but decided that was overdoing it. Instead, she was wearing a new trend- a jean skirt over tight, dark blue pants, and a blue, short-sleeved shirt.

“You look fine,” Buffy reassured her sister.

Realizing something, Dawn stared in horror. “Oh God… You two are gonna do the whole ‘parent questioning’ thing, aren’t you?” Buffy’s only reply was a sly smile.

“Fine. If I can’t physically keep him away from her, that’s another way,” Spike said, still slightly pouting over his failed attempt.

“No! Buffy, stop him! You aren’t even my real parents! You’re not even married!” Dawn said, trying to find any way to stop it.

Buffy and Spike shared one their “looks.” ‘She has to know eventually…’

‘Yeah, I guess now is as good a time as any,’ Spike replied.

“What’s that look about, you guys? Oh, great, you’re doing that brain- talky thing, aren’t you?” Dawn asked them.

“Yes, we were… It’s time we told you something. Spike proposed to me… We’re getting married!” Buffy said, holding out her hand to show Dawn the ring. “For real this time, too.”

John arrived at the door to see Dawn run up to Buffy and Spike and try to suffocate them with a hug. “This still doesn’t mean I’m gonna let you question him,” she said with a serious look on her face, grabbing his hand and running out the door.

“Hurry, let’s get out of here!” she exclaimed, and John just went along with it.

***

“Wow… If I had known we were going somewhere fancy, I would have dressed up more,” Dawn said, looking about the fancy restaurant that was all gold and red. The tablecloth was red, and the walls were red and white with a bit of gold trim. Each of the tables had a pair of candles. There was even some romantic music playing quietly in the background. A few teenage couples were there, but mostly it was people in their 20’s and 30’s who had been together for at least a few years.

“Don’t worry about it,” John replied. “You look beautiful no matter what you’re wearing,” he said, causing Dawn to blush.

“Thank you,” she said, embarrassed.

The night continued like that, with them eating their expensive food, and soon, they found some things to talk about, and the conversation flowed more easily.

***

“I had a wonderful time,” Dawn told John. He leaned in to kiss her, and she kissed him back. A second later, she pulled away. She gave him an apologetic look. “I should get inside. Spike’s probably listening to us through the door,” she explained. Confirming her suspicions, she heard loud footsteps on the other side of the door hurrying back into the living room.

As she walked in, Dawn gave John a small wave. When she got through the door, she could tell that Buffy was using the brain connection to silently calm Spike down… A lot. Buffy gave her a wink and a smile, and Dawn headed back to her room.

She didn’t get to sleep for hours, because she was thinking of the wonderful time she’d had that night. She just couldn’t believe she was 18 and had just now had her first date.

***

Please review!