Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm thinking of writing a few more chapters and then ending this story. I want to turn my attention to Never Stay Dead, because it doesn't seem like very many people are enjoying this.
The next morning, Buffy heard a knock on the door. She went to open it, and wasn’t prepared for what she saw. There was a blue- haired woman standing outside their door. She also had very odd eyes.

“Oh, hey, Illyria!” Spike shouted from the kitchen. When Buffy gave him a questioning look, he just shrugged. “This would be that hell goddess I told you about,” he said. “Don’t worry, she’s on our side now!” he added when Buffy gave him a terrified look. She shrugged. If it had been anyone else telling her that, she probably wouldn’t have believed them.

“We found this girl doing magic in the street, and thought you would want to know,” she said, looking at Spike, as she pulled Ashlee farther so that Buffy and Spike could see her. Gunn also stepped out from behind Illyria, giving them both a wave.

“And you are…who?” Buffy asked, looking at him.

“Oh, Buffy, this is Gunn,” Spike told her, stepping over to them.

“Wait, I’ve seen you before!” Buffy exclaimed, looking at Ashlee.

The small girl looked up at her and nodded shyly.

Just then, Buffy remembered where she had seen her. “You were the one summoning demons!”

If it was even possible, Ashlee looked even more shy. The whole time, she was silent, just staring at everybody else and trying to blend in with the wallpaper.

“It’s okay, come on in,” Buffy said, lightly pulling her by the hand. “You guys can go ahead and come in,” she told the other two.

“You can sit down in here,” Spike told the three of them, walking into the living room, as Buffy went into the kitchen to use the phone.

While the others sat in awkward silence, Buffy said into the phone, “Yeah, Willow? Think you could do me a favor?… Good. You’ll see what I need when you get over here.”


A few minutes later, Willow arrived. “Hey, Buffy!” she said when the door was answered. Then she saw the serious expression on her friend’s face. Buffy opened the door wider so that Willow could come in, and gestured to Ashlee. Willow nodded in understanding and went to sit across from her. More introductions were made, and then Willow started talking to Ashlee.

“You were doing magic again, weren’t you?” Willow asked. After seeing Ashlee’s nod, she said, “I think I’m going to have to teach you how to control it better. The same thing happened to me, but it just got worse and worse.” She grimaced at the memories. “I don’t want the same thing to happen to you.”

Ashlee had been silent the whole time, but now she spoke up. “I tried to float a spoon, but when I got mad, it flew across the room and ricocheted everywhere,” she said, disappointed.

Willow nodded. “The same thing happened to me, except with a pencil… And a tree. So, really not the same, but close enough.

“Anyways, what were you doing that made these two bring you here in the first place?” she asked cautiously, a bit scared for the answer.

“Just having some fun,” Ashlee replied quietly, now looking even more scared.

“Was it anything dangerous?” Willow asked softly. She was starting to see that she wouldn’t get anything out of the girl if she just asked what she did flat out, or if she didn’t think Willow could be trusted.

“Oh, no, of course not!” Ashlee exclaimed. She would never do anything to hurt anybody, at least not on purpose.

“Well, that’s good, but it might have been dangerous without you even realizing it. Illyria said you were doing magic in the streets. Why wouldn’t you have done it at your own house, instead?” Willow questioned. The more questions that were answered, the more confused she felt.

She looked over at Buffy and tried to ask her what she should do to get through to Ashlee, but realized it was no use. Buffy was kind of busy- making out with Spike, that is. Buffy had told her about the engagement the other day over the phone. Willow still couldn’t see how a 23 year old and a hundred- something year old could seem so much like teenagers, but she decided not to mention it. For the first time in a long time, her friend actually looked happy, and when she was happy, Willow was happy.

Turning her attention back to Ashlee, she noticed that she was actually answering the question. “I couldn’t do it at my house because I needed more people to try it out on. The spell I was using doesn’t work on demons… And I really don’t see how it could be dangerous, all I was doing was making people do weird dances down the street instead of walking.”

Willow would have laughed if the situation wasn’t so serious. She was terrifying this poor girl, making her think that dancing was unsafe. “Well, that’s not very dangerous to them, but it is dangerous to you,” she replied. “You might lose control of your power more. I think it would be best if I trained you.” Ashlee nodded, and Willow looked up at the ceiling as though she were thinking hard about something before she continued, “But we need a place to train at.”

Buffy finally looked up and said, “Oh! I forgot to tell you, Giles called yesterday. The new Watchers’ Council Headquarters is finally built! It isn’t as big as the old one, but it has a meeting room, a huge library, and a training room. We can all go there!” She heard Spike’s low growl and squeezed his hand. “Don’t worry, Giles is the only one there so far. Besides,” she said playfully, “If you come, maybe we can do some… Sparring.”

Spike knew she was trying to tease him, but he agreed to come anyways. Maybe they would get some actual training in… And maybe they wouldn’t. Either way, he decided it would be worth it.