Author's Chapter Notes:
Please review! I have nine reviews for this story so far! Please review, even if it’s just to say that your reading it. I apologize ahead of time for the VERY long fight scene, which takes up almost this entire chapter. It was necessary for the ending I wanted.
Buffy and Spike ran up the steps to the crypt they had left the demons in. About 20 feet behind them were Willow and Xander. About 20 feet behind them was Giles. After they got into the crypt, Willow turned to the door, a blue light speeding from her fingers. She wanted to make sure the monsters couldn’t get out if she couldn’t do the individual containment spells fast enough. Unfortunately, that meant locking themselves in, too.

It was gusty in the crypt, because the “door” was loosely attached. It was dark, too, because, obviously, crypts weren’t made to let the light in. However, the five of them could see just fine, because after all the years they had spent fighting things that go bump in the night, thet were definitely used to it.

Willow turned around to see the impatient look on her friends’ faces. Buffy and Spike were already in a fighting stance, Xander was standing around bored, wondering why he was here if he might lose someone else in another fight (even though he came every time anyways), and Giles had a clipboard, pencil, and paper ready. He was going to tally up how many demons were in the separate magical cages, and yell the number out to the two fighters.

Quickly, Willow brought down the enchantment that was on one of the Infritas, and the warriors started fighting right away. They knew that all they had to do was chop the things into little pieces, but they wanted a longer fight anyways. The two of them fought together as if they had for decades. This really was a “dance,” watching them swerve, dodge, punch, slash, and kick. The witch/goddess was amazed, as were the other two. Giles still tallied any that got cut up, and Willow still locked them up in their own little enclosures, but mostly they stood there stunned. Meanwhile, Xander stood stock still with his jaw to the ground, since he had nothing else to do.

After about an hour or two, Spike and Buffy had 40 of the ugly demons. Giles called out the number, and Willow hurried to put the spell on the five that had just been created. So far, she had only needed to use her magic to protect them once, when she had been to slow with the other spell, leaving Buffy and Spike to fight five at once, one of which came rushing straight at them. However, it had been a simple spell- sort of. The Infrita had burst into fire, but it hadn’t killed him. Instead, it had led him to run around with his equivalent of screaming. Unfortunately for him, he ran right into Buffy’s sword. Strangely enough, the fire had gone out after he split into two.

Now, Giles was calling out, “Eight, seven, six,” indicating how many more they needed to make. Willow jolted out of her memory trip to a very short time ago in order to put up another four spells. Since that last incident, she had perfected the spell needed.

Buffy and Spike slowed down, not wanting the battle to end. One of the demons got Spike’s boot in its gut and Buffy’s fist in his face. After a few more minutes of attacking and defending, they finally decided to slice it in half. They told Willow not to lock it up, that way they would each have one to fight. “Five left to create!” Giles called out to them. They ignored him, getting lost in their own little war. Buffy and Spike had averted apocalypses before, but it was more fun to fight without the necessity. This was their normal… Except for one thing.

They could read each other’s minds. That was why they hadn’t talked this entire time. Buffy knew she should be scared after what had happened in high school, but all she felt was happiness. They couldn’t hear anyone else’s thoughts, and it was comforting to have Spike talking to her, especially without the others hearing, considering some of the things he was saying right now.

Somehow, the Infrita Buffy had been fighting with had gotten behind her in the split second she had stopped paying attention. It kicked her in the back, and Spike felt her brief panic as she flew to the ground. He sprinted to her side, making sure nothing was wrong. However, by the time he got there, she was already up and standing over the demon, and she cut into it with her sword, making the last five out of its head.

They were quickly contained, and as Willow did one last spell that made them all burst into flames, Buffy looked around victoriously. She watched as they turned into nothing but dust, and her grin only grew. “I wish Angel had stayed,” she said. “He would have been so proud of me!” Half of her was sad that he was gone, and the other half was happy at the thought that he would be proud.

“You mean because you want to know you’re among the best, and he’s a vampire with a soul, a good fighter?” Spike said hopefully. In his mind, he couldn’t help but add, ‘Like me.’

Buffy just looked at him oddly. They had spent all that time together, and he still couldn’t understand her? “No, I mean because I love him more than anyone else in the world, and I want him to approve of the things I do.” she said, still not believing he didn’t know.

The hurt in Spike’s eyes was evident to everyone in the room, but he quickly hid it. ‘She’s got to be teasing me,’ he thought. ‘After all that yelling at the poof the other day, and saying she loves me, how could she say something like that seriously?’ He tried to read her mind to see what she was doing, but he couldn’t. The connection was gone.

Author’s Note: Before I start getting hate mail, I have this to say in my defense: I have a reason for this, it is going somewhere. I know that’s not a very strong argument, but this WILL be Spuffy. Right now, though, this is part of another plot.