Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you to everyone who reviewed. I hope this chapter proves to be interesting...
Her feet barely made a whisper as she walked into the apartment, casting her keys to the couch without a care. They landed on the black leather with a soft thud, arousing the slumbering feline, Whistler.

The cat was honestly ugly, the coat a ragged grey as though he’d been stuck in a chimney.Several of his whiskers were bent at odd angles and would often prick her in the face when he nuzzled up close. She didn't know why she had kept him except for the fact that he'd been as homeless as her.

She smiled openly at the rag like clothe which peeked out from underneath Whistler's body. Buffy didn’t need to look hard to see the desperate grip of Whistler’s paws around a tattered old hat. She’d picked it up from a yard sale and had not had a chance to use it ever since. Damned possessive cat, thought Buffy before continuing on to her bedroom.

The place in which she lived could never be considered glamorous, boasting two small bedrooms and a tiny kitchenette. However it provided the small blonde with more than the semblance of independence. A prize which hardly any of Angelus’ girls could speak of.

Buffy breathed a sigh of relief that she had managed to avoid the man’s traps for so long.

Angelus Masters lived in one of the finest penthouses in the LA area. His family was well known and liked both publicly and personally. The father had passed away five years before but his two sons had continued to occupy the spotlight. Angel was the younger brother by less than a minute, their mother giving birth to twins and then dying from blood loss. His older sibling had been named Liam, and naturally rejected the role of their father. Angelus, as he came to be called wanted nothing to do with the family heritage or prestige.

Rather Angelus decided quite quickly to rule the city not through the media and charity but from the underworld.

It only made the whole issue a greater travesty to recall how easily the older brother had managed it.

Originally Buffy had been with Angel, starry eyed and definitely in the early stages of falling in love. She’d been certain at the tender age of eighteen that she wanted nothing more than to be Angel Master’s bride.

At least until Angelus got a look at her.

With an ease well practiced Angelus had coerced her away from the main party area. They were celebrating Cordelia Chase’s birthday and Buffy was certain that Angel might even pop the big question. The heavy hand of her boyfriend’s sleazy brother had caused her to shiver in disgust before realising that she would have to be polite. At that time the petite blonde had been oblivious to his dealings. If Buffy had had any idea of what was to come, she was positive that she would’ve run screaming for the police. As it was, the woman shrugged off her suspicions and followed the powerfully built man into another room.

What followed was nothing short of horrifying.

Angelus had taken her into a dimly lit room, soft couches and chairs making her feel less anxious. When his hands came to rest on her bare shoulders Buffy merely took it as him being friendly. Her eyes flew open in fear when the large man’s body pressed fully against her back, revealing the disgusting bulge of his lust. Buffy could remember screaming and trying to escape yet failing as his arms locked tight around her.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Angelus’ breath had sounded hot against her ear, just before he licked a trail up the side of her neck. Her fingernails had desperately dug into his skin only to cause another chuckle.

“Keep struggling… It only makes me want you more.”

Buffy didn’t have a chance to retort as Angelus whirled her around to face him. His dark brow, so similar to her love’s, could not mask the insane light of lust and rage in soulless brown eyes. Strong hands, unbearably tight had gripped her arms, shoving her body against the wall. It visibly shook and only served to rattle her senses more which up till then had been in a state of shock. The feel of his mouth raping hers was all it took for another scream to rip from her throat.

Sometimes she wished she had let him finish the awful business and never protested. At least then she may have still had a chance with Angel.

Like a silent movie playing out the final moment’s of the hero’s death, the party had burst into the room. Cordelia’s shocked gasps coupled with the betrayed expression of Angel had been but the first to hit Buffy. It took her several minutes to realise that her attacker had dropped her during their interruption and now stood staring at the company.

“Someone had to show you what type of girl she is.” Angelus smirked, playing up the image of his ruffled clothes as though Buffy had been an active participant rather than a victim. God how I love manipulating people.

Angel nodded, unable to stop the dead feeling which welled inside. He was aware of his brother’s dealings but knew that no matter what had happened Buffy could never be his. The scandal would hit the papers first thing in the morning and that type of publicity was never acceptable, particularly not for someone running for mayor. Even if he saw the near rape and fear which reflected in the poor girl’s eyes, it was obvious that none of the other party goers did. He could hear Harmony and her other socialites whispering into their mobiles even now. Angel steeled himself as he ushered the gaping crowd out of the room, stating quietly that it would ‘only take a few minutes’ and ‘could they please give him some privacy?’

It took all the man’s patience not to slam the door in their enquiring faces.

“Angel, you have to believe me. I never wanted any of this, Liam-“

“It doesn’t matter whether you wanted it or not Buffy. The deed is done.” Angel’s voice came out as cold and harsh, hating himself even as he spoke. I’m doing the right thing. I know I am.

Buffy shocked and frightened at the dead eyes which looked back, stumbled to her feet. This can not be happening... It simply can’t.

“What do you mean Angel? This man tried to rape me! Call the police.”

Angel bowed his head in shame. “I can’t.”

“Why the hell not?” she screamed.

Angel merely looked away, unable to answer her. Though he had made several sacrifices to maintain his good image this would have to be the worst. He opened his mouth to explain when his older brother answered for him.

“Because I’m family” answered Liam smugly. The whole situation whilst not going according to plan would still end in his favour. He hadn’t intended for the goody two shoes fool to find out about their little tryst but at least he ended up with another girl. They were all aware that Buffy Summers had come to the big city with nothing but her looks and a dream of stardom. Her parents were both dead from a car accident at least ten years before.

No one would help her once Angel disowned the poor little girl.

Liam grinned, taking in the tears which openly streaked down flushed cheeks. She’s just ripe for the taking.

“What my dear brother is trying to say sweetheart” said Angelus with pure joy, “is that you are now damaged goods, and we all know that such things are very bad publicity. Angel will never be able to date you again let alone associate with you. In the public’s eyes you’re nothing but a whore.” He settled into a chair, crossing his legs and leaning back with ease. “My whore if you want to be specific about it.”

“NO! Angel you can’t do this to us!” Buffy moved forward, the horror of never being held by her lover blocking out Liam’s last sentence. “You said that you loved me. Did that mean nothing to you?”

Angel only nodded his head. If he wanted any chance of winning over the public he would have to leave Buffy Summers, whether that be in the clutches of his sadistic brother was no longer his concern.

“Sacrifices must be made for the greater good. If I’m elected then this city can only prosper. What is one life when compared against the millions which suffer?”

Buffy trembled, swiping uselessly at her eyes which still continued to rain down tears. The one person she had ever trusted was now betraying her for what? Politics? A pathetic disgusting brother who ought to be in jail? None of these justified her abandonment. She jutted out her chin, unwilling to show any more of her pain when Angel didn’t care.

Liam outright laughed at her show of strength, remarking to his brother that it would be fun breaking her spirit.

Angel only gritted his teeth and bid her goodbye.

That had been three long years ago.

Buffy stripped off her thick woolen coat and settled herself on the plush bed. Soft baby blue walls greeted her, making the small blonde groan in exhaustion. Though she had spent most of her day in bed it still did not stop the same feelings of fatigue from welling up inside.

Part of it was due to the effort needed to pretend to love. Buffy was certain that no man could truly evict emotion from her. Their hands only aroused shivers and detachment rather than feelings of tenderness. Love was an emotion that she no longer wanted anything to do with.

The other more obvious reason was one that would never dissipate. No matter how far away she lived from the man, he would always have control of her and her actions. The older Masters son was both her sole means of livelihood, supplying her a constant stream of customers and the only real person who cared about her.

Buffy knew it wasn’t because of some deep abiding affection. The man was too cold and soulless for anything close to that emotion to reside. Rather it was the fact that she had become like him: another creature of the night which walked throughout life, slipping on different masks and never really connecting. Their relationship consisted of loathing and also companionship. He turned her into a whore but he made sure that she could live with the transformation.

Buffy didn’t know whether to kill the sick bastard or herself.

Both were aware that Angelus had made good on his promise to break her. Without any livelihood and her name shamed in every paper, Buffy had found it difficult to survive. She couldn’t go back to her foster family and the shelters were preyed upon.

The offer of money and a job by Angelus had seemed more than acceptable.

After Angel’s rejection it no longer mattered whether another man touched virgin flesh. Buffy was empty, cold and distant. Well and truly heartbroken.

Her hand swept over the phone as it began to ring. If it’s another job, he can just go to hell. She willed her eyes open, dragging her body upright.

“Hello?”

“Elizabeth” purred Angelus. “How was your day?”

“The usual” she muttered. “Holden was more than happy with my services and will probably be calling back for another rendezvous. Give him to Harmony.”

“You don’t want to have another go?”

Buffy sighed, not hiding her frustration in her tone. “You know that isn’t my policy Liam. As soon as they become attached I start seeing someone else.”

”I know I know. Just thought that I should ask” said Angelus quickly. He could tell that she was already in a mood and didn’t want to upset her further. It wouldn’t do to let down Cecily, especially not when he owed her a favour and Buffy was the perfect girl for the job.

Buffy noticing the static which echoed along the phone call, decided to ask the man what he wanted. Angelus never called unless asking for something. Now was no different.

“What is it?”

“I need you to meet a young man for me. It’ll be perfectly professional”, he assured her, “but you must do everything in your power to make him fall for you.”

“Any particular reason?” she asked. Buffy could feel her heart beginning to pound madly at just the thought of being exposed to another man trapped in Angelus’ games.

“Cecily Underwood wants to test him out… see whether the guy can handle having a beautiful woman thrown at him and still want her.”

“Sounds like she has an ego problem.”

Angelus laughed, “like you wouldn’t believe. I think she’ll get satisfaction out of seeing hopefully reject you, but I half expect him take up the offer. You are after all the Slayer.”

“Yep, I hunt down men and drive a wooden implement into their still beating hearts before making them realise that they want me” she quipped sarcastically.

“There’s no need to be depressed about it Elizabeth. You do an excellent job….” Angelus straightened his suit, readying himself for his annual meeting with his little brother. Now that the pathetic fool had made mayor, there were multiple benefits to be had. “Will you do it?” he asked.

Buffy stared at the ceiling, noting the cracks which spread like a spider web. “Why not,” she said boldly, ignoring the familiar twinge that came with every such decision. “It’s not like it’ll change anything. What’s one more man?”

Angelus grinned, locking the door before making his way out onto the bustling street. “That’s my girl.”

He didn’t wait to hear her reply and instead shut the mobile, instantly ending their conversation. The man was more than certain that Cecily would be happy with Buffy’s performance. He had an inkling that Ms. Underwood was just as happy to be rid of the lovesick idiot as to have him become a suitor. Either way Angelus would make a profit. The added bonus of seeing another fall to the charms of Buffy Summers was just icing on the cake.

William Pratt won’t know what hit him.