Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews from the first chapter, hopefully you'll find this one alittle more 'together'....
Blue Eyed Suicide

Chapter One ~ It All Starts With A Glance

Sunnydale, California
March
1996

~*~*~*~*~*~

I remember that night like it was yesterday.

The Bronze, the local college hotspot, was at it’s best. Music pounding throughout the club, people everywhere, the dance floor packed with young college students looking for a release. I was there that night with friends, sitting at our usual table, in the back. We were laughing, sipping our stolen drinks and having a good time, just like every other Friday night before.

We had been there for a few hours, it was getting late and we were talking about heading out, to get something to eat before calling it a night when the bands switched onstage. This ordinarily was no big deal, Friday nights at The Bronze was ‘Open Mic Night’ so anywhere from five to eight bands played on average, but something caught my attention and I looked up at the stage, fascinated.

The band on stage seemed pretty scruffy, nothing really special about them, but the song, the song struck something in me. I registered the first few strings of an Alice in Chains song and smile automatically. I loved Alice and Chains. Then the lead singer stepped away from the mic, letting the guitar player take center stage and I was amused by his appearance.

He was dressed all in black, he was very scrawny, his bleached hair making him look like a cast out from a eighties movie. He was looking down at his guitar, preparing to play, he fiddled with the mic, keeping his face hidden from the crowd below the stage. I was prepared for a let down, surely this Billy Idol wannabe would demolish the song.

But then he opened his mouth, his face still hidden and began,

“What's gone wrong, I can't see straight
Been too long, so full of hate”

I smiled, happy to see that the boy could actually sing, he wasn’t the best I’d ever heard, by far, but he had a certain charm.

“What the fuck will it take
Drown myself in my wake
Another shaggy D.A.
Now a dog, shake my leg
Plastic man, paper face
Candy heart, what a waste
Gotta change, set a date”

I sat there, my drink in my hand, swaying to the music slowly, moving my feet along, enjoying the feeling of his voice washing over me. Then in one moment, my whole life changed.

“Stare at me with empty eyes and
Point your words at me
Mirror on the wall will show you
What you're scared to see”

The blonde man on stage, the one with the mediocre voice looked up, and out into the crowd and for one split second his eyes met mine for the first time. A lightening bolt went through me, my heart stopped and was lost. He blinked, the spell was over and he looked back down, his crystal blue eyes hidden once more and he continued to sing. I was still stunned.

“I can see, yeah - (wish I couldn't see at all)
I can feel - (wish I couldn't feel at all)
Hate to see - (wish I couldn't see at all)
Hate to feel - (wish I couldn't feel at all)

So climb the walls,
Thin my blood now
And I crawl, back to bed now

What the hell, gotta rest
Aching pain in my chest
Lucky me, now I'm set

Little bug for a pet
New Orleans, gotta get
Pin cushion medicine
Used to be curious
Now the shit's sustenance

All this time I swore I'd never
Be like my old man
What the hay it's time to face
Exactly what I am”

The blonde mystery man finished the song, and the lead singer took over his spot, doing a few original songs that didn’t really register on my radar. The band, ‘Ghost of the Robot’, finished their set and left the stage quietly, and another unknown band took their spot.

But I stayed there, at that table, for what seemed like ages, in a trance. My drink sat there, forgotten, my friends oblivious to my predicament. My thoughts were running wild, I had to meet this beautiful man.

Then I saw him, sneaking along the wall, avoiding eye contact with everyone making his way to the crowded bar. I looked over at my half empty drink and shrugged, I need a refill. I tapped Willow on the shoulder and motioned towards the bar to let her know I was leaving and quickly made my way over to where my mystery man was standing. He had his back to me, he was leaning over yelling the bartender over. I scooted in behind him leaning over, trying to accidentally brush his arm. When I made contact, the man looked behind him quickly, stunning me with his eyes once more, and then the contact was gone and he was making his way back to the backstage area, beer in hand.

Over the next few months I arranged to be at his bands shows quite a few times. Luckily they played in the area plenty. It took a few times for my friends to catch on, and when they did it was a free ticket for mocking.

All of them were impressed that this man could gauge such a reaction in me. I was normally such a hard ass when it came to men, especially band guys. Growing up as Hank Summers daughter, the hottest talent agent in L.A, I had come across my fair share of rockers. But this guy, there was something about him that just drew me in. His eyes haunted me.


Finally about six months into my little obsession I got my chance to meet the man behind the eyes. It was just after school started, my final year at UCSU, and my Dad had gotten us backstage passes to the Battle of the Bands contest in L.A’s newest hotspot. I knew Ghost of the Robot was playing and I insisted that me and my friends road trip into the city for the weekend.

We had been there for about three hours, dancing, drinking, the usual when I drifted from my friends to head to the ladies room. I had just finished up and was in the hall outside the bathrooms when I literally ran smack into old blue eyes himself. At first I expected him to just skitter off like he had the last time we had met, but instead he backed off with a smirk, his eyes full of mischief.

I smiled at him, my face red, my heart pounding with excitement. We just stood there for a few moments, looking at each other, and then I realized that it was mischief shining in his eyes. No, it was something else. An illegal, dangerous something else. I felt stupid, and my face flushed with humiliation. Of course he was high, that’s what rock star wannabe’s did in L.A. That was why I was so opposed to them in this first place.

He stepped closer to me and as he did I caught a whiff of his breath and fought the urge to gag. He smelled like a fucking brewery. My eyes watered at the fumes coming off of him.

“Well, well, well, what have we here? I don’t believe we’ve met before gorgeous. Name’s, Spike. What’s yours?” He said in a strong English accent, his tongue curling behind his teeth in an attempt to be sexy.

However it had the opposite effect on me at the time.

“I’m out your league.” I said as I tried to walked away. He stepped up to my side though, trying to keep me in the hallway with him.

“Oh, really? I’d like to challenge that, pet.”

I fought off the urge to laugh, he really was a cocky bastard.

“You’re not the first.”

I shook my head as I left the hallway, me and my friends were on our was back to school within the half hour. My little rock star obsession on it way to being a distant memory. Or so I thought, I was so naïve back then.

~*~*~*~*~*~

~TBC~



The Song performed is by Alice In Chains