Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm still upset by recent events that took place in here a couple of days ago. It hasn't made me all that interested to continue writing, but I'm not one that would just give up. It does seem like the interest has gone down for this one, though. If you're still reading and enjoying, even if you're not enjoying I would love to know what you guys think. I have a feeling things are about to get more interesting in this chapter. Anyway, on a happier note, my fiction Learning to Breathe has been nominated at the Lost in Spike Awards for Best Long fiction, Best Baby fiction, Best AU, and me for Best Author, which still has me stunned. Thanks to whoever nominated me. I hope everyone had a fun and safe New Year's=)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 11

“So, how are things going at home?”

Buffy shrugged. “Okay, I guess. My dad is still living elsewhere and I don’t talk to my mom much. Things are better with us, but it’s still hard to look at her the same way again.”

Faith agreed. “I have to say that I never would have expected your mom. She never seemed like the type.”

“Those are the ones you usually need to look out for.”

Faith glanced around the cafeteria and noticed Willow and Xander kissing in the distance. It didn’t take long for the truth to be known about the two of them. “Do they ever come up for air?”

Buffy turned to see what had Faith’s attention. “I think it’s sweet that they’re so into each other.”

Faith rolled her eyes. “Yeah, but I bet Red would hate to know that I got there first.”

Buffy stared at her friend in shock. “You and Xander? When did this happen?”

“It was just once during sophomore year. I rocked his little virgin world,” she stated with a grin.

“Do me a favor and never tell Willow about that.”

Faith nodded. “I wasn’t planning on it. I guess they do look good together, if you like that sort of thing.”

Buffy glanced back at her friends and smiled, hoping she would have that one day.


* * * * *


“Jesus, B. What’s got your panties in a twist?” Faith commented when Buffy pulled the brunette into her room and closed the door.

“Thanks for coming over. I really need you right now.”

Faith raised her eyebrows. “You’re hot and all, but not exactly my type.”

She rolled her eyes. “That’s not what I meant. I need you to keep this between us, okay?”

Faith was interested now. “Sure, what’s up?”

Buffy took a deep breath. “I’m late, Faith. I got a pregnancy test yesterday.”

“Shit, did you take it yet?”

Buffy shook her head. “I was too scared to. I didn’t want to do it alone, that’s why I called you.”

Faith nodded in understanding. “Okay, there’s no use panicking until you know for sure. It’s probably nothing, but you won’t know until you take the test.”

Buffy knew that she was right and decided to just get it over with. “Yeah, I’ll be right back,” she said and hurried to the bathroom.

Faith waited for Buffy to come back and when the girl finally did, she had a look of fear on her face.

“It’s positive. I’m…I’m pretty sure I did it right.”

Faith looked at the stick in Buffy’s hand, then back up at her friend. “These tests aren’t always accurate. I must have taken a couple before and one even came out positive, but there was obviously no baby. I think you need to go to the health center to get a better opinion.”

Buffy nodded. “I’ll make an appointment next week. Will you come with me?”

Faith wasn’t a big fan when it came to doctor’s, but the look on her friend’s face was enough to convince her. “No problem, I should get a check up myself. I’m probably long overdue. No matter what happens, we’ll get through it together.”

She was relieved knowing that Faith would be there with her. Buffy couldn’t imagine dealing with this alone, but if she was pregnant, she feared about how Spike would take it.


* * * * *


Buffy didn’t know why she was walking to Spike’s apartment a couple of days later. It was killing her to keep inside the fact that she might be pregnant. She decided to tell Spike before she went for the check up. She had to know what his reaction would be about the possibility of her having a baby, whether it would be good or bad. Buffy frowned when she noticed that his door was opened a crack and peered inside. She couldn’t see much, but noticed that Spike was in there with someone. Their voices carried out to her and she realized that he was in there with another man. She knew that it would be best to come back later, but a part of her was curious to know what they were talking about.

“A baby would ruin everything, Angel. I care about Buffy and this is the last thing I need right now. I feel like I’m in a bloody nightmare.”

Buffy gasped at his words and felt tears in her eyes. She didn’t know how Spike could have found out, but he somehow did and wasn’t too happy about it.

“You need to tell her the truth, Spike. You need to end it with her before things get even more out of hand. This is too much for you to deal with, man.”

Buffy backed away from the door having heard enough. She just ran away from his apartment, tears streaming down her face.


* * * * *


“I already told you that I was going to break up with Lilah. This is just like her to throw a baby into it. I know she hasn’t been faithful. There’s a huge chance this kid isn’t even mine. She just wants me to think it is to get me in her fucking trap, so I would support her. The other bloke that knocked her up is probably not even willing to do anything.”

Angel nodded. “How does Buffy fit into all of this?”

Spike let out a sigh. “I don’t know. I care about her deeply. I already know that it has the potential to turn into love, but she’s so young. It may not bother her now, but that could all change. She’s a high school senior. She should be with a boy her age, one that can take her to school dances and give her all of those high school experiences that I can’t. If she’s with me, she’ll be deprived of all of that. I know this makes me selfish, but I don’t think I can let her go. Just the idea of any bloke touching her makes me want to rip his bloody arm off. I just don’t know what to do.”

“Man, you do have it bad. I guess the first thing you need to do is find out if that baby is really yours. Buffy won’t need to know the truth until then. There’s no use worrying her about a kid that might not even belong to you. She doesn’t even know about Lilah, does she?”

Spike shook his head.

“Well, then I suggest you end things with the bitch fast. It’s best to nip this in the bud before…”

“The bud nips me?” Spike cut in.

Angel nodded. “Yeah, I wish you luck with that.”

Spike sat down on his couch and thought about what he was going to do.


* * * * *


“Congratulations, you’re pregnant.”

The girls exchanged worried looks at the doctor’s news.

Buffy squeezed Faith’s hand for comfort, not knowing what else to do.