Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 19

They sat in awkward silence at the Bronze later that night, neither knowing what to say.

Spike couldn’t take it for much longer. “Would you like to dance? If your performance the other day was anything to go by, you’re pretty good.” He cursed himself for saying something that might offend her, but she only nodded.

Buffy stood up and made her way onto the dance floor, knowing that Spike would follow her.

They wrapped their arms around each other once out there and moved slowly to the song that was playing.

Spike held her tighter, wanting the moment to last.

They were too lost in their own world to notice that the song ended.

Buffy pulled away and gazed into his eyes, but was abruptly ripped out of her thoughts.

“Summers? Well, isn’t this a surprise?”

She froze at the sound of the familiar voice and turned to see Parker standing behind her. “Yeah, but I can’t say it’s a very pleasant one.”

He only smiled. “I see you haven’t changed. You’re still a bitch.”

Spike took a step forward and wanted to teach him some manners for that, but Buffy held him back.

“What are you doing here? Looking for your new flavor of the week?”

Parker shrugged. “A man has needs, but I think I found something better. When you’re done with the Billy Idol wannabe, why don’t you meet me outside? I can show you a good time.”

Spike saw red, but would let Buffy handle it.

“I’m just wondering, Parker. Do I have desperate and delusional written all over my face? It would be a cold day in Hell before I ever let you touch me again.”

It was then that Spike realized this was the ex Buffy mentioned. He hated the bloke even more now.

Parker’s smile quickly faded at that remark. “Well, you don’t have to worry about that. I get better pleasure from my hand than I ever did with you.” He then turned to Spike. “I wouldn’t waste your time with her. She’s not even worth it.”

Spike was about to tell Parker exactly what he thought about his little comment, but another voice stopped him.

“Parker Abrams, I see you’re still talking about shit that you don’t understand.”

Spike was surprised when Angel showed up, but didn’t miss the look of fear that suddenly appeared on Parker’s face.

“Angelus, I was just chatting with an old girlfriend. There’s no harm in that.”

He wasn’t pleased and got in Parker’s face. “It’s Angel now, boy. It would be best for you to remember that. Now, why don’t you leave my friend and his girl alone? I’m sure there are other people around here that you can harass, but don’t let me see it again. All it would take is one phone call to my old man, and I know you don’t want that to happen. Do we understand each other?”

Parker’s eyes widened and he nodded, then took off without even bothering to give them another glance.

Spike finally spoke after a moment. “How the hell do you know that git, Angel?”

He shrugged. “Abrams works for my father. It’s always fun to torment the little bastard.”

Spike smiled and grasped Buffy’s hand in hers, giving it a squeeze to offer her some comfort. He could tell that she was hurting from that wanker’s words.

Angel noticed the gesture and took a deep breath. “So, you must be Buffy. Spike talks about you a lot.”

Buffy nodded and gave him a small smile. “Yeah, it’s nice to meet you.”

Spike was worried that Angel would say something in front of Buffy to make things worse, but he only took her other hand in his and placed a kiss on the back of it.

“The pleasure is all mine,” he said, letting her hand go.

Buffy blushed and looked away.

Spike was still in shock that Angel seemed to act civil towards her. “Can I talk to you for a moment?”

Angel nodded and followed after Spike to a more secluded area.

Buffy had no idea what that was about, but just waited for them to return.


* * * * *


“What the bloody hell are you doing, Peaches? This better not be some trick of yours. You made your feelings about Buffy perfectly clear.”

Angel actually felt ashamed for the things that he said. It wasn’t a feeling that he was used to. “That was before I met her. She seems like a sweet girl. I realized that I was a bit hard on you before. I keep forgetting that you’re different and I shouldn’t continue to try and turn you into me. You’re a good man, Spike. You deserve to find real love. I hope that I’ll be lucky enough to have that one day.”

Spike’s jaw practically dropped. He never would have expected Angel to talk about finding love. “Thanks, that means a lot. I don’t want you to think I’m not grateful for all that you’ve done for me. I’m just a one woman man; I’ve always been that way. It’s not going to change, no matter how many chits have screwed me over in the past. Buffy is really amazing. I love her and I’m going to keep convincing her of that. I don’t know if she can accept it yet, but she will. I just hope that wanker showing up didn’t ruin any chance I might have had.”

Angel shook his head. “I don’t think you have to worry about him. I saw the way that girl was looking at you. If it’s not love yet, it won’t be long before it is.”

Spike sighed in relief. “That’s what I’m hoping for. Well, I should get back to her now. Thanks again, Angel.”

He nodded and watched his friend walk away, knowing that everything would work out for him.


* * * * *


Spike found Buffy in the same place that he left her and smiled.

“Hey, you ready to get out of here?”

“I’m so ready,” she replied.

He took her hand and led her out of the club, not speaking up until they got outside. “So, are you going to tell me about what happened between you and Parker?”

Buffy knew that he was bound to ask that and decided to tell him the truth. “He was just a mistake. I got involved with Parker when I was a sophomore. He was a grade higher and one of the most popular guys in school. I was nowhere near popular and extremely flattered when he started to pay attention to me. We went out for a couple of months before I realized that I loved him. Well, I thought I did. He was my everything back then, but I was never his. I decided that I was ready for him to be my first, and of course Parker was all for it. His parents were out of town and we went back to his house. It was very nice. He made me feel so special and loved, but it was all an act. He completely changed after that. I would see him at school flirting with these older girls and when I confronted him about it, he just laughed in my face. He told me that it was fun, but he wanted more. He was all about how I was a nice kid, but couldn’t do anything for him. That was the last time we really talked, until now. He graduated last year and I was hoping that I would never have to see him again. I know I’m not that same naive girl anymore, but whenever I’m around him, I feel like I am. All of my insecurities come back and I feel that I’ll never be good enough for anyone.” She felt tears in her eyes and quickly wiped them away.

Spike could feel his heart breaking a little at the pain on her face. It now made more sense of why she was afraid to let herself love him. No matter what happened, he wasn’t going to let her go. Spike would show Buffy just how much she meant to him.