Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 20

“These were on the doorstep for you.”

Buffy looked up at her mother to see the bouquet of white roses that she was holding.

“Is there something you want to tell me?” Joyce wondered.

Buffy just shook her head and took the flowers from her. “Not really.”

Joyce wasn’t having it. “Buffy Anne Summers,” she said sternly.

Buffy groaned and placed the flowers in a vase that she found in the kitchen. “Do you have to middle name me? It’s nothing, just some guy that I’ve been seeing,” she mumbled.

Joyce raised her eyebrows. “When were you planning on telling me about this?”

Buffy shrugged. “I’m telling you now.”

“I would like to meet him. I’m sure your father would, too.”

Her eyes widened. “I don’t think that would be a very good idea. Spike’s not really much of a people person.” Buffy realized that was the wrong thing to say when she noticed the worried expression on her mother’s face.

“His name is Spike? He better not be in a gang, young lady.”

Buffy would have laughed, but figured that wouldn’t be a very smart thing to do at the moment. “He’s not in a gang, Mom. His real name is William; he just chooses to go by Spike. I never cared to ask where it came from.”

Joyce felt a little relieved by that. “I still want to meet him. There has to be a reason of why you felt that you had to hide your relationship from us. You should invite him over for dinner on Friday night. Your father was already planning on coming over then, so it would be the perfect time.”

“I really don’t know about that. I didn’t want to tell you because there never seemed to be a good time. Not with what’s been going on here. I just don’t think I’m ready for you guys to meet him yet. I doubt I’ll ever be ready.”

Joyce didn’t understand. “We do have a right to meet the boy that is involved with our daughter. Now is as good a time as any. Did you meet him in one of your classes?”

Buffy knew the truth would have to come out, but she didn’t think that her mother needed to know about everything. “Not exactly, he doesn’t really go to Sunnydale High.”

“Oh, is he in college? I don’t think it’s the best idea for you to get involved with a college man, but you still didn’t have to hide it from us.”

Buffy shook her head. “He’s not in college.”

Joyce was even more confused now, but dreaded asking her next question. “How old is he?”

Buffy took a deep breath and just decided to get it over with. “He’s twenty-seven.” She expected the shock of surprise that was now on her mother’s face, but was astounded that she didn’t start yelling.

Joyce placed her hand over her heart. “I think I need a drink,” she said and went to do just that.

Buffy followed after her. “It’s not that bad, Mom.”

Joyce gave a short laugh. “Not that bad? He’s almost ten years older than you, Buffy. How did you think I would react? Oh, your father will just love this.”

“I’m not a little kid anymore, Mom. I’m eighteen-years-old and I should be allowed to date who I want.”

Joyce took a long sip of her Scotch and stared at Buffy. “You’re still my little girl. Does this man have a problem dating someone his own age?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I’m sure he doesn’t care about that, either. The age thing never bothered us. He’s not a bad guy, Mom. You would realize that if you met him.”

“So, does that mean you’ll invite him over then?”

Buffy knew that she walked right into that one, but didn’t care anymore. “Fine, I’ll see if he can come over on Friday, but I don’t want you to make a big deal.”

Joyce nodded and graced her daughter with a small smile. “I can’t wait to meet him.”


* * * * *


“You want me to meet the parents?”

Buffy looked up at Spike from her position next to him on the bed.

They were both fully clothed and just spent time talking in his apartment.

“It wasn’t my idea. I had to come clean to my mom after she spotted the roses that you left at the front door. Thanks so much for that.”

He shrugged. “I was hoping you would have seen them first. Sorry, I just wanted to do something nice.”

Buffy felt bad for her comment. “They were nice, Spike. I really did appreciate it. I’m just nervous about them meeting you. I didn’t mention the fact that you used to be my teacher. I think just knowing how old you are is bad enough.”

Spike had to agree. “It’ll be okay, love. I knew that I was bound to meet them eventually. It’s just happening sooner than we expected.”

Buffy nodded and snuggled up closer to him. “I hope they like you.”

He smiled and kissed the top of her head. “What’s not to like?”


* * * * *


The introductions could not have been more awkward when Spike showed up for dinner that Friday night.

They were all sitting around the dinner table in silence, no one sure what to say to start a conversation.

Joyce decided to be the first one to speak up. “So, where did you two meet?”

At least Buffy could tell the truth about that. “We met at the Bronze.”

Joyce seemed to accept that answer, but was surprised by Hank’s next question.

“You a sports fan, Spike?”

The look on his face proved that he was also shocked, but just nodded. “Yeah, I’m a big fan of Manchester United.”

Hank nodded as well. “That’s a good answer.”

Spike was relieved that he seemed to say the right thing.

Buffy quickly got up to feel her father’s forehead.

“What are you doing?” he wondered.

“I just wanted to see if you were feeling okay. The first time you say something and that’s the best you can come up with?”

Hank shrugged. “What am I supposed to say?”

Buffy pulled her hand away. “I figured you would have a lot to say. Are you a pod person?”

Hank laughed and shook his head. “I think you’re safe. William seems like a reasonable man. You’re not a child anymore, Buffy. I’m sure you’re quite capable of making your own decisions.”

Buffy was beyond shocked at this point. “Who are you and what have you done with my father?”

He rolled his eyes. “Why are you so surprised? It’s not that hard to believe.”

“I know you, Dad. You had a problem with Billy in the eighth grade. I only invited him over to study and you scared him away. He never spoke to me again after that.”

Hank smiled at the memory. “I had my reasons. I never did like that kid.”

Buffy pressed a kiss to her father’s cheek. “Thank you, Daddy.”

He patted her shoulder. “Anytime, baby. Now, let’s continue this wonderful meal that Joyce has prepared.”

Buffy sat back down in her seat next to Spike, giving his hand a squeeze under the table. She was glad that the dinner wasn’t a complete disaster. She felt even happier at the looks that her parents were giving to each other. Buffy just knew that it was only a matter of time until they got back together.