Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 23

Lilah Morgan was steamed. She confessed to Lindsey about being pregnant with his child and he didn’t even care. It wasn’t like she was asking for him to spend the rest of his life with her. She could care less about the prick, but she wanted him to help support their child. That didn’t seem likely to happen. He wouldn’t even believe the baby was his unless he also saw the paternity test. There was only one option left. She wasn’t about to deal with this kid on her own, so she would do whatever it took to get Spike back. Yes, he never really cared for her, but he was the only decent man that she had ever been with. Maybe if she agreed to change, he would decide to take her back. Lilah cringed at that last thought, not believing how desperate she sounded.

“Come on, love. You can hardly even tell.”

Lilah knew that voice and turned to see Spike walking down the street, with his hand holding that of a young blonde.

“I think my parents would be able to tell that my hair was wet. How would I explain this to them?”

Spike smirked. “Well, you’ll just have to stay with me tonight. I’m sure your friend could cover for you again.”

Lilah was stunned at the conversation she overheard, even more stunned when Spike lowered his head to kiss the girl. Getting a closer glimpse, Lilah was able to recognize her as the girl that she saw in Spike’s classroom. Didn’t he say she was a student? That was the last straw as she marched over to them. She would not lose him to some brat. “What the hell is this?”

Spike instantly jerked away from Buffy at the presence of Lilah. “What are you doing here?”

Lilah crossed her arms over her chest. “I was headed to your apartment to talk, but caught your little show instead. What the fuck is this, Spike? You were cheating on me with some high school girl? Wasn’t she in one of your classes? Oh, you are completely screwed. I could ruin you for this; you’ll never be able to get another teaching job again.”

Spike’s eyes widened and he gazed at Buffy, who looked just as surprised. “I’ll be right back, baby.” He then grabbed Lilah’s arm and pulled her away, so they were out of earshot.

She snatched her arm out of his grasp. “You call her baby? That’s what you always called me after a good fuck. Does she get the same treatment? Do you call her all of the same pet names that you used on me after you fuck her?”

“Keep your bloody voice down, Lilah. Why are you doing this? I thought that we left things on somewhat good terms. You agreed with me that we weren’t good for each other. You’re having another man’s child, for crying out loud.”

Lilah scowled at him. “That was before he decided to dump me like yesterday’s garbage. He doesn’t want anything to do with the baby. I was hoping we could have another chance.”

Spike shook his head. “That’s not going to happen. I wouldn’t get back with you even if I wasn’t with Buffy.”

She rolled her eyes. “What kind of name is Buffy, anyway? Is she a cheerleader or something? I can’t believe you’re dating someone in fucking high school. You’ve really hit an all time low.”

Spike clenched his fists at his side. He had to keep reminding himself that it was technically wrong to hit a woman. “Buffy’s an adult, all right? She’s not illegal, so there’s really no point to this. Her parents already know about us and gave their blessing, there’s nothing you can do.”

Lilah smiled. “She was still your student, Spike. I have a feeling her parents don’t know about that little detail. If I went to the school board with this, I guarantee they would find something wrong with it. You’ll be banned from ever getting a teaching job again. I don’t just mean in Sunnydale. I mean all of California and possibly England, too. I work at Wolfram and Hart, honey. I have connections everywhere.”

Spike hated himself for what he was about to do, but didn’t see any other options. “Please, Lilah. They don’t need to know about this. I love teaching and was hoping to get a job at the local Elementary school. Don’t take that away from me,” he pleaded.

A part of Lilah felt guilty, but she quickly shook it away. “Fine, but I have one condition.”

Spike nodded and waited for her to continue.

“I won’t say anything if you let the girl go. We get back together and you help me raise this kid, then you can get a job anywhere you like. I’ll even recommend you to some of the best schools.”

Spike didn’t know what to think about her suggestion. He glanced back at Buffy to see that she was still standing in the same place, looking so innocent and beautiful. Just like she was when they first met. He turned away from her and stared into the cold eyes of his ex-girlfriend. “No, I can’t do it. You can ruin me if you like, Lilah. I don’t have to teach, there are other jobs out there that I could probably qualify for. I was miserable with you and I don’t care to go back to that. The child you’re carrying is not my responsibility. I’m sorry that Lindsey won’t help you, but that’s something you need to take up with him. We’re done and I want no part of you in my life anymore. I’m in love with Buffy.”

Lilah was stunned into silence. She couldn’t believe that he turned down her offer, or that he was actually in love with the teenager. She didn’t think that he was capable of it, but then again, she didn’t exactly know a lot about his past. They hardly knew anything about each other. They jumped right into bed when they first met and their whole relationship, if you could even call it that was based on nothing but sex since then. “Well, I guess you’ve made up your mind.”

“I’m sorry that it’s not what you want to hear. Being with Buffy is the best feeling that I’ve ever had. I wouldn’t give her up for anything in the world.”

Lilah could tell how sincere he was and knew that nothing she did could change that. She nodded after a moment and then made her way over to Buffy.

Spike watched in confusion as Lilah whispered something in her ear, then just walked away. He headed in her direction once Lilah was gone. “What did she say to you?” he wondered in a panic.

Buffy shrugged. “She told me to take care of you.”

Spike’s jaw practically dropped.

“I was surprised by that, too. I guess that means everything’s okay?”

Spike still couldn’t believe it and took her hand in his, pressing a kiss to the back of it. “I’m pretty sure we won’t have to worry about her again, love. Let’s get out of here; I’m in the mood for a hot shower.”

Buffy smiled. “I decided to stay with you tonight, so I guess you won’t be showering alone.”

Spike quickly pulled her away at that. He was suddenly in a hurry to get home.