Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 3

It was no surprise to Spike when he woke up alone the next morning. He had a feeling it would only be for one night, but a part of him wished that she would have stuck around. He only went to the Bronze to drown his sorrows and forget about his current problems, one in particular. He never planned on taking anyone home, but there was something special about Buffy. Spike tried to shake those thoughts away, positive that he would never see her again. He groaned when there was a knock on the door and went to answer it, not caring to put a shirt on. He then regretted it when he saw the woman that was standing there.

She licked her lips at the sight of his bare chest. “Were you expecting me, Spike?”

He rolled his eyes and let her into the apartment. “No, but you always manage to drop by unannounced. To what do I owe this pleasure, Lilah?”

She looked around at his messy living area, then back at him. “I didn’t realize that I needed a reason to visit my boyfriend. You could clean up in here for a change. I don’t even know why you insist on keeping this dreary place, anyway. I do have a huge house with plenty of room. It gets lonely sometimes with just me living there,” she said with a pout.

Spike wasn’t falling for it. “You can just forget about that. I’m not moving in with you. We’ve only been together for six months and I need my own space. I’m not ready for that and I doubt if I ever will be.”

“Why is that? You need to have a bachelor pad or something? Are you bringing other women here?”

He gave her a smile and trailed his fingers down her arms. “Now, why would I do that when I have you?”

Lilah glared at him. “You’re so full of crap. You better not be cheating on me, Spike. I work for one of the best law firm’s in the state; I’ll make your life miserable.”

Spike turned away from her. “You already do,” he mumbled.

She crossed her arms over her chest. “What was that?”

He shook his head. “I didn’t say anything. I’m not cheating on you, okay? I just need my own space, that’s all.”

Lilah decided to accept his answer. “Fine, but we’ll just see how long that lasts. Why don’t you come work with me? It’s a lot better than being a teacher. I can’t believe you would rather educate brats. The pay can’t be that good.”

“Believe me, being a teacher is much more important. I’ve wanted to do that since I was a lad. I start my first teaching job on Monday at the local high school. I’m just a substitute for a while, but if that works out, I’m hoping to get a permanent job there.”

Lilah rolled her eyes. “Sometimes I just don’t understand you, but it’s your life. I have an important meeting in a half an hour, so I have to get going. I’ll see you later tonight,” she said, kissing him quickly on the cheek and leaving the apartment.

Spike let out a sigh and finished getting dressed. It was a good thing Buffy didn’t stick around, then. He didn’t know how he would be able to explain her to Lilah. There’s no telling what she would have done to the poor girl. Lilah Morgan was a complete nightmare and it took him about three months into their relationship to realize that. She wasn’t so bad when they first started going out. She seemed much more caring and loving back then, but he soon found out how very wrong he was. Spike always planned on breaking things off with her, but it never seemed to be the right time. She would probably ruin him if he did, but he couldn’t stay with her for much longer. He never expected to meet someone like Buffy. She made him laugh and feel alive for the first time in years. He actually hoped that he would see her again.


* * * * *


“You’re killing me here, B. What the hell happened with you and bleach boy?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and got everything that she needed from her locker. Faith had been trying to get the information out of her all weekend, but she didn’t feel like telling her what really happened. Not just yet, anyway. “Nothing, we just talked for a bit and then he took me home. It was completely innocent.”

“Come on, that guy is like sex on legs. I refuse to believe that you didn’t jump him. I know you’re not really into that, but I think even you would have given in to temptation.”

She shrugged. “I guess I was just able to resist.”

Faith sighed. “Why do I hang out with you again? You’re no fun.”

Buffy flashed her a smile. “Sorry to disappoint, but you would be so lost without me.”

Faith figured there was no point arguing with that. “Yeah, whatever you say. I gotta visit the little girl’s room, so I’ll see you in class.”

Buffy watched her friend head off in the direction of the bathroom, probably to have another cigarette. No matter how much she talked to her about that disgusting habit, Faith would never listen. Buffy then headed to her History class, which was the most boring subject ever. She could hardly stay awake during it. She walked into the room and made her way to the center of the class, where Willow was sitting.

“Hey, did you hear that Mrs. Barton had her baby over the weekend?”

Buffy shook her head and sat down. “No, but it was about time. So, I guess that means we have a sub.”

Willow nodded. “Yeah, it’s some new guy. I heard a few of the cheerleaders talking about him. They caught a glimpse of him coming out of the principal’s office. From what they were saying, he’s quite a looker.”

Buffy was interested now. “That would definitely be a plus compared to all of the other teachers in this school.”

Willow agreed. “He’s pretty young, too. Well, for a teacher. I can’t wait to see what he’s like. He has to be more interesting than Mrs. Barton.”

“I think anyone would be. Her class is such a snooze fest.”

Willow was about to respond, but was cut off by the arrival of their new substitute teacher.

Buffy noticed that everyone got quiet and glanced up at the man that entered the room, her jaw nearly dropping at the sight of him.

Willow noticed Buffy’s reaction. “Yeah, they weren’t lying about him being good looking.”

Buffy just nodded her head and didn’t know what else to say to that. She never expected to see Spike again, and definitely not as her teacher. She saw his eyes widen when they landed on her. There was no way this could end well.