Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 5

“You did what?”

Spike let out a sigh. “Don’t make me say it again, Angel.”

“I just find this to be hilarious. You had a one night stand with some chick you met at the Bronze, then you find out that she’s in high school? That could only happen to you.”

Spike glared at him. “I don’t even know why I tell you anything.”

Angel grinned. “Because you know only I would see the humor in this. I would love to see the look on Lilah’s face when she finds out.”

“She won’t know anything about this. You’re the only one I’m telling this to and you better not say anything to her.”

Angel rolled his eyes. “Yeah, like I would even want to talk to her. The woman scares the hell out of me and that’s saying a lot. I don’t even know how you put up with her for so long. She must be good in bed.”

Spike couldn’t help the smile that formed on his face. “She’s more like a cold fish. I think I put up with her because I was so desperate to have a girlfriend at the time. I didn’t realize what a conniving bitch she would turn out to be.”

Angel raised his eyebrows. “She’s a lawyer, Spike. What did you expect?”

He shrugged and sat down on his couch. “I don’t even know, but I can’t take much more of this. She keeps talking about us living together. It’ll be a cold day in Hell before that ever happens. I’m going to end things with her, I just haven’t figured out how yet.”

Angel sat down beside him. “Does this have anything to do with the high school girl?”

Spike sighed again. “I know nothing can really happen with us, but I can’t help the way I feel. I won’t be her teacher forever, only until her regular teacher comes back from maternity leave. Who knows what could happen after that? At least she’s eighteen; you don’t know how relieved I was when she told me that.”

“I can’t believe you would even consider being with a girl that young. You’re almost ten years older than her. She must really be good in bed.”

Spike rolled his eyes again at the fact that Angel always seemed to think about that, but then smiled. “Bloody amazing,” he replied.

Angel nodded. “Well, it’s your life. I guess you know what you’re doing. I’m curious to meet this girl.”

Spike thought about it. “If everything works out, you might just get that chance.”


* * * * *


“So, did he seem pissed off?” Faith wondered later that night.

Buffy shook her head. “No, he actually took it better than I thought he would. I just don’t know how I can pretend that nothing happened with us. I don’t know how I can sit in that class now and act like he’s just a teacher.”

Faith nodded. “Okay, I have a solution for this. You don’t pretend. Come on, a guy like this doesn’t always come around. I say go for it.”

She rolled her eyes. “You would say that. I can’t just continue to see him, Faith. I actually care about graduating, and his job is on the line. I couldn’t ruin that for him.”

Faith shrugged. “You worry way too much. It would only be a problem if you got caught. I’ve been screwing Wood for three months now and you never even picked up on it, I doubt anyone else has.”

Buffy’s jaw dropped. “Wait, you’re actually sleeping with him?”

Faith gave her a look. “And you’re shocked by this? We’re talking about me here.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, but I just figured you were kidding.”

“Oh, I would never joke about that. It just happened when a teacher sent me to his office because she claims I was disrupting the class. I would have done anything to get out of detention. Have you seen the losers in there? Well, of course you haven’t, but it’s not pretty. We did it right there on his desk, which is a lot of fun. You should try it,” she said with a wink.

Buffy was stunned and decided to ignore her last comment. “I just can’t believe the principal would do that. He doesn’t seem like the type.”

Faith laughed. “Please, the man is a complete perv. I’m probably not the only student he’s fucking, either.”

“And that doesn’t bother you?”

Faith shrugged. “Nope, not if it keeps me out of detention. It’s not like I’m in love with the guy. I’m all about having fun.”

Buffy frowned. “You always seem to just have fun, Faith. Don’t you ever want to be in love?”

She scoffed. “What’s the point? Men are dogs and that’s all there is to it. If you ask me, love doesn’t exist.”

“I don’t really believe that. You’ve seen my parents; they’re so in love it’s practically nauseating. I know yours didn’t have that great of a relationship, but that doesn’t mean real love isn’t out there.”

Faith looked down and started fiddling with Buffy’s bedspread. “My dad treated my mom like crap. He was horrible to her and she just let him be. If that’s what love is supposed to be about, I don’t want any part in it. Everyone can’t be perfect like your parents.”

“My parents are hardly perfect. They argue all of the time.”

Faith finally glanced back up at her. “Yeah, and then they make up. He doesn’t beat the shit out of her.”

Buffy placed her hand on the other girl’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, Faith. I didn’t realize it was that bad, but at least he’s not a problem anymore.”

She gave a humorless laugh. “Right, he can’t be a problem if he’s dead. I would say my mother was better off, but it’s hard to tell with her being depressed and getting wasted all of the time. Is it any wonder I turned out the way I did?”

Buffy moved closer and wrapped her arms around Faith, kissing her on the cheek. “You always have me, and you always have a home here whenever you just want to get away from everything.”

Faith started to feel choked up, but had a hard time when it came to showing her emotions. “Thanks, Buffy. That means a lot. I’m surprised you would still wanna be my friend after all the crap that I’ve pulled.”

“You and I are forever, babe. That’s all there is to it.”

Faith granted her with a genuine smile now. “You know it.”

There was a knock on her bedroom door and an attractive, blonde woman walked into the room. “Hey, girls. I brought you some chocolate chip cookies. I just made them.”

Buffy took the plate of cookies and milk that was offered. “Thanks, Mom.”

“Thanks, Mrs. S. Have you done something different with your hair?”

Joyce Summers smiled. “Just highlights,” she commented.

Faith smiled as well. “It looks nice.”

“Thank you, Faith. I hope you both have finished your homework.”

Buffy nodded. “Of course we did, education is very important.”

Faith agreed. “Buffy’s such a teacher’s pet, she made quite the impression on our substitute History teacher today. I have a feeling she’ll pull her grades up in no time.”

Buffy elbowed her in the side and hoped that her mother didn’t notice, but the older woman only smiled.

“That’s great to hear, you haven’t been doing so well in that class lately. Well, I’ll leave you two alone now. It’s a school night, so don’t stay up too late. Goodnight, sweetie,” she said and pressed a kiss to the top of Buffy’s head, then did the same to Faith. She gave them both one more smile before leaving the room.

Buffy let out a sigh. “She still treats me like I’m five.”

“Well, I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. You’re one lucky bitch, B.”

Buffy smiled and had to agree with her friend. Now, if only things could work out with her and Spike. She knew that it wouldn’t be right to get involved with a teacher. Even if he wasn’t a permanent one, but she couldn’t help the way she felt. Buffy tried to put him out of her mind after that, but it was a losing battle.