Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 9

“I just don’t know what could have happened. My parents were always so happy. Yeah, they got into arguments every now and then, but I didn’t think it was all that serious.”

Faith nodded. “I wish I knew what to tell you, B. I’ll call your mom and tell her that you’ll be spending the night here, so she doesn’t have to worry. I’m sure you’re not up to talking to them right now.”

Buffy shook her head. “I’m really not. They can’t just spring this whole separation on me out of nowhere and just expect me to be okay with it.”

“Well, look on the bright side. At least they’re not getting divorced.”

Buffy gave a humorless laugh. “Not yet, but it’s probably only a matter of time. I doubt they’ll be able to work out whatever’s going on anytime soon. I just know something happened that they’re not telling me.”

Faith took a deep breath and decided to voice what has been on her mind. “I hate to make you feel even worse, but I might have some idea.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows and waited for Faith to continue.

“I don’t know for sure, but maybe your dad is having an affair or something.”

Buffy’s jaw practically dropped at that. “There’s no way. My dad would never cheat on my mom. I can’t believe that.”

Faith held her hands up in surrender. “I’m just saying. I’ve been at your house, Buffy. He’s always working late and calling your mom with some lame excuse. Those are usually the signs. My dad cheated on my mom pretty much during their whole marriage. She was just too blind to see it, but I wasn’t stupid. I know that’s not something you wanna hear, but it could be a possibility.”

Buffy still couldn’t believe it. There had to be another reason and she was determined to find out what.


* * * * *


Spike watched as the students filed out of the classroom, noticing that Buffy seemed to be the last one to gather up her belongings. She was moving at a slow pace and Spike was becoming worried. She seemed distant during his lesson. Not that she was usually interested in History, but she would at least make minor eye contact with him.

“Buffy, can I see you for a moment?” he asked before she could leave the room.

She just nodded and headed over to his desk, realizing that everyone else already left.

“Are you feeling okay today? You seem to have a lot on your mind.”

Buffy shook her head. “It’s not really anything important. I’m just dealing with family stuff.”

“Well, you know I’m available if you want someone to talk to,” he explained.

Buffy wondered if he was being in teacher mode or boyfriend mode. She stopped that train of thought when she realized that Spike technically wasn’t her boyfriend, no matter how much she wanted him to be. They haven’t really talked much about their relationship, so she wouldn’t label it just yet, but she felt like getting her problems off of her chest. “My parents are splitting up. My dad’s moving out this weekend.”

Spike sympathized with her. “I’m sorry about that, pet. I know how much it hurts.”

Buffy nodded. “It’s just a lot to take in. They always seemed like the perfect couple. I guess there’s no such thing. I’ll see you later,” she commented, then left the room before he could respond.

Spike felt his heart go out to the girl. He only knew her for about a week, but she was already invoking feelings in him that he couldn’t remember ever having before. Not even for Cecily, who was his first love. He wanted to care for Buffy and protect her. These intense feelings were starting to worry him, but he decided to dwell on them another time. Spike had Lilah to worry about now and the possibility that she might be carrying his child. He still had hope that the baby wasn’t his, but he wouldn’t know until he saw a paternity test. He couldn’t even think about how Buffy would react if she ever found out.


* * * * *


A few weeks later and Buffy was still adjusting to having her parents live in different places. She kept alternating between residences on the weekends and it was tiring. She just wished that things could go back to the way they were. She still didn’t know the real reason for the separation, but wasn’t about to give up.

“Are you having an affair?” she suddenly blurted out.

Hank stared at Buffy in shock, completely took by surprise. “Why would you ask that?”

“I know something serious happened between you guys and that’s the only thing that makes sense.”

Hank avoided her gaze and took on a guilty expression. He hated having to lie to her.

Buffy took his silence to mean that she was right. “I don’t believe this. It’s actually true? If it wasn’t you wouldn’t be all with the guilt face right now. How could you do that Daddy? How could you betray us like that? Who is it, huh? Is it your slut of a secretary? I knew there was a reason why I didn’t like her.”

Hank was stunned. “You don’t talk about her like that, young lady. She’s a nice woman and you don’t even know her.”

Buffy glared at him. “She’s a homewrecking bitch and I don’t want to ever know her.”

“I won’t ask you again, Buffy. She has nothing to do with this. It’s between me and your mother. We would tell you if we thought you had a reason to know. It’s best that you just forget about this and let it go.”

She wasn’t about to back down. “How can I just let this go? You broke up for a reason and I have a right to know what it is.”

Hank was starting to lose his temper. “I just need space, all right? I can’t deal with being around your mother right now.”

Buffy stood up angrily. “That’s not a good enough answer. You just need space to spend more time with your whore. I don’t want anything to do with you,” she spat and ran out of the apartment.

Hank sighed and sat down on his couch. She would understand soon enough that he had to leave. He just didn’t want to be the one that ended up breaking her heart with the truth. She had to find out on her own.


* * * * *


Buffy wiped the tears from her eyes when she walked into her house. She couldn’t stay with her father any longer. She headed to the kitchen and stopped when she heard her mother’s voice. There was no one else around and figured that she was talking with someone on the phone, but Buffy didn’t know who.

“I’m sorry about this, Mark. I want to work things out with my husband. I can’t keep doing this to him and Buffy. I should have never gotten involved with you. It was a huge mistake.”

Buffy gasped at what she overheard.

Joyce turned around to notice her daughter standing there. “I have to go,” she said and quickly hung up the phone. “Baby, I can explain.”

Buffy shook her head and backed away, more tears falling from her eyes. “It was you? You’re having the affair?”

Joyce wanted to take Buffy into her arms, but knew that it wouldn’t be welcomed at the moment. “It was a mistake, honey. I would give anything to take it back.”

Buffy moved further away from her mother. “Why would you do this? I thought it was Daddy. I said horrible things to him and it was you this whole time.”

Joyce reached out to Buffy, but she avoided her grasp.

“Don’t touch me,” she spat. “I really hope fucking him was worth it, Mom. I can’t even look at you right now. Just stay away from me.” Buffy then bounded upstairs and into her room, slamming the door behind her. She threw herself onto the bed and broke down into hard sobs, not knowing if she would ever be able stop.