Author's Chapter Notes:
most of the chapters will be pg.
Rome’s famous Trevi Fountain loomed in front of her. Even at three in the morning, the square was bustling with tourists. Men and women came at all hours to throw coins into the fountain. One coin over your shoulder meant that you would return to Rome, two meant that you would fall in love with an Italian, and three meant that you would marry said Italian. A silly superstition, to be sure, but Buffy hadn’t been able to resist throwing one over her shoulder when she and her friends had visited the fountain earlier that day. Dawn had thrown all three.

Buffy couldn’t sleep. They had been in Rome for five days now and every night Buffy lay in her hotel bed until she couldn’t take anymore. She would take her clothes into the bathroom, where she wouldn’t wake Willow and Dawn, dress, and leave. She would even tiptoe past Giles and Xander’s door so as not to wake them either. She would wander through the streets until sunrise. Then, she would return to the hotel. If any of her friends noticed, they said nothing.

She wasn’t sure what drew her back to the fountain. Maybe it was the fact that it was only two blocks from the hotel. Maybe it was because, at night, it’s backlighting made it seem like a beacon. Maybe it was because she just wanted something to stare at while she got lost in her thoughts.

It had been six months since they had all left the crater formerly known as Sunnydale behind. They had driven to Los Angeles to let Angel know they had stopped the apocalypse and to plan their next move. When they unloaded Xander’s car at the hotel, Buffy had found his suitcase. She waited until everyone else had gone to bed, and then drug it in to the bathroom. She sat on floor and slowly opened it. Inside was a note pinned on a red shirt. She gingerly unpinned it and began to read.

“Buffy,

I’m guessing that I don’t leave Sunnydale with you. I’m sure this amulet will see to that. So, in that event, there are some final things I want to say.

Remember when you took the job at the Double Meat Palace? I came to you and told you if you needed money, we could get it and you didn’t have to work there? Well, luv, I meant it. I hope under this shirt is enough to keep you and little bit safe for a long time.”



Buffy gasped. She pulled the shirt out of the suitcase and underneath it was full of neatly stacked rows of bills. Tears streamed down her face as she realized what this would mean for her and Dawn. No more worries. But she couldn’t help but wonder where it had all come from. She turned back to the letter still clutched in her hand.


“Don’t worry, pet. It doesn’t matter where it came from, just that you use it well. But because I know you won’t drop it, you could say I had it invested and I made a withdrawal.

There are things in life that are inevitable; I am powerless to control them. The Sun will rise and set, the tide will come in and go out, the seasons will change, the birds will fly South for the winter and return in the spring, and the caterpillar will transform itself into a beautiful butterfly. Somehow, I feel reassured by this because many other things in life are so transient - so momentary. You have truly become the star of my life, which brings me light in this dark world, and warmth when I need it.

I want to say one last time that I love you, Buffy.

Take care of them all, as only you can.

All my love,
William”

Tears coursed down her face in steady furrows. But at the bottom of the paper, there was a little more writing.

“Look in the shirt pocket.”


Realizing there was someone standing just beside her, Buffy came reeling back into the present. But before she could even turn towards this intruder, a clear voice spoke.

“I mean you no ill will, Buffy Summers.”

She looked at the figure. It was a dainty woman, thin, and no taller than Buffy herself. Her hair was black and long, at least to her waist. Her black clothes and pale skin were liken to a vampire, but this was no vampire. She had a strange warm power that trailed along Buffy’s skin like silk. The woman stood, facing the fountain, her hair like a black velvet curtain hiding her face.

“Who…” Buffy began, but was interrupted when the woman spoke again.

“Angel told me I could find you here.” She turned to face Buffy. Her skin looked like it had been carved out of pure white marble. Full red lips and beautiful high cheekbones turned her face into art, but Buffy couldn’t stop staring at her eyes. Her eyes were like lavender jewels set into her pale face. As she moved, her hair shifted to reveal elongated pointy ears. Humans don’t have eyes and ears like that, Buffy thought to herself.

“Angel sent you here?” She asked. “But who are you?”

“My name is Kathryn Lockhart. I came here to help you.”

Buffy looked at the woman in disbelief. Why would anyone she had never seen before come all the way from Los Angeles to help her? “Help me with what exactly?” she asked.

“It’s kind of a long story Miss Summers. I have lodging a few blocks from here. I will gladly tell you my story if you will come with me.”

Buffy looked at Kathryn appraisingly. If she was here to attack her, Buffy was almost completely sure she could take her without a problem….that is, if she was human. But now Buffy was pretty sure that human wasn’t what she was. ‘Well,” Buffy thought to herself, ‘there’s no harm in asking. How should I put this….?’

“What are you?” Buffy blurted out. ‘So much for tact.’ She thought.