Kathryn’s laughter was high and clear like the ringing of chimes. “I’ll explain on the way.” With that, she turned on her heel and walked away. Buffy knew that, in order to find out what was going on, she would have to follow the strange woman. Sighing, she sprinted to catch up. When she came alongside her, she waited patiently for Kathryn to speak.

“I am a Sidhe.” She said.

“A she?” Buffy asked incredulously.

Kathryn smiled. “No, S-I-D-H-E, pronounced ‘she.”

“Ok, and what is that exactly?” Buffy questioned.

When Kathryn didn’t reply, Buffy pulled out her cell phone. A sleepy Giles answered the call. “Hello?”

“Hi Giles. I was wondering if you knew what a Sidhe was.” Buffy said brightly.

“A girl.” Giles replied groggily.

“No Giles,” Buffy explained. She spelled the word for him.

“Oh, yes, well, of course.” He seemed much more awake at the prospect of being able to lecture. “The Sidhe are considered to be a distinct race, quite separate from human beings yet who have had much contact with mortals over the centuries, and there are many documented testimonies to this. Belief in this race of beings who have powers beyond those of men once played a huge part in the lives of people living in rural Ireland and Scotland.” He replied.

“So they aren’t human. But what are they?”

“They are the fey. The fairy folk,” he said simply.

“Are they good?”

“Most of them, yes. They always tell the truth, though, so most of them make their intentions known early on,” he finished.

“Thanks, Giles. Go back to bed now.” Buffy hung up here phone. She walked alongside Kathryn in silence. They turned up a small walkway up to a huge house. When they got to the door, Kathryn held her hand before a leaf insignia and after a moment, the door swung open on it’s own accord. “How did you do that?” Buffy asked as they walked in.

“The house recognizes people of my blood.” Kathryn replied, as if that explained everything. They walked down a hall, and into a living room with a fireplace and two couches facing each other. Both women took opposing sides.

“Are you really a fairy?” Buffy felt as though she had waited long enough to ask this question.

“Yes, I am,” she replied. “Let me tell you why we are here. Every Sidhe has a distinct power, more like a talent that we alone can do. In example, my mother can make plants grow by touching them. My lover, Bain, can sense others pain, he feels it and can read the cause. That’s why I’m here.”

Buffy stared at the woman with confusion. “I don’t understand.”

“Bain and I live in a apartment next to a hotel in L.A. Six months ago, Bain fell to the floor in pain. He cried for a man he didn’t know. A man named Spike.”

Buffy’s eyes were as round as dinner plates, her mouth dry as the desert. Kathryn continued to speak. “He told me your story as he saw it through your pain. He told me that you were in love with a man named Spike and due to dramatic and violent circumstances he was lost to you. Bain asked that I help you, but when we went to the hotel and asked Angel about you, you were already gone. I have followed you around the world, and now I have finally caught up with you. I believe I can use my power to help you.”

Buffy was spellbound by the tale. “How can you help me? What’s your power?” she demanded.

Kathryn looked at her hands. “I have an affinity for the dead. I can control them, raise them, and even resurrect vampires.” At the last word, she looked at Buffy intensely.

Buffy blinked back tears. Willow and Giles had looked for spells to bring Spike back. They had only recently given up the cause as lost. Buffy had all but lost hope of ever looking into his eyes again. It’s funny. There was a time in her life where she would have done anything to be rid of his presence, and now, he was the only person in world she wanted to see. She began to tell Kathryn things she had never even admitted to her friends.

“Before the final fight with the uber-vamps, my friends, everyone betrayed me. They told me I couldn’t lead anymore because I was reckless. I left the house and found an abandoned, well, pretty much abandoned house to stay in until I figured out something else to do. Spike came to me that night. He had been away investigating our enemies when my friends turned on me. He defended me and then came after me. No one else even came to my aid. He spent that night just holding me. It was the most wonderful night of my life.

When we were fighting and I realized he wouldn’t be leaving with me, I told him that I loved him. He didn’t even believe me. I wish I hadn’t waited so long to tell him.” She pulled a chain out of her shirt and leaned forward to show the ring that hug from it to Kathryn. “You see, he left this for me in the pocket of his shirt in his suitcase. I haven’t taken it of since. My friends don’t even know I have it. I just haven’t been able to let him go. Now, I meet you and you tell me you can give him back to me? I have hardly dared to dream that such a thing would be possible.”

Kathryn came to kneel in front of Buffy. “I know that you love this man. I know that you were hurt when h was ripped away from you. But I am offering you a chance. A chance to be happy. How many times have you saved the world, Buffy? How many times did you save me when I didn’t even realize it? You have saved us all. This is the least I can do for you. Let me help you.”

“When can you do it,” Buffy asked.

Kathryn beamed at her. “Right now,” she replied.