[A/N: Okay, so I lied about updating on Thursday. This story is just too contagious to go a day without writing more. The fight might seem a little lackluster; the implication is that Riley is a really, really big coward. I introduce Faith and the “plan” here, two plot points that I think will give the story more pizzazz. Title is from the song by Filter.]




Chapter Five: "Hey Man, Nice Shot"




“You wanna scuffle, ‘mate?” Spike stood up tall. It looked like he was about to throw a punch, but instead, in true badass form, he pressed his cigarette into Riley’s blue sweatshirt, leaving a sizzling black hole that made everyone in the room scream “fight!”

And then Spike did it. He punched Riley. He connected into Riley’s jaw with such force and rage that it made the oversized man fly to the ground. It was just one punch. One super punch. A punch that could have destroyed nations. Riley was on the ground clutching his face. Goddamn, that felt so good. I’ve wanted to do that for years.

“Yeah, stay the fuck down, you stupid git!” Spike screamed at Riley.

This made Riley quake on the ground. He's scared of me?

“Not the brightest idea, picking a fight with me now,” Spike bit out as he towered over Riley.

Riley cowered and slowly pawed away from Spike, still on the ground. Riley knew now, with perfect clarity, that Spike was completely reborn. And so did everyone else in the room. No one would dare pick on him or mess with him. Everyone also knew that Riley was a coward and all talk. If he was really as big and bad as he said he was, he would have gotten back up and tae-kwon-do’d Spike’s ass.

But he didn’t. In fact, his posture on the ground screamed passivity.

“Hey, I was just protecting my girl.” Riley said possessively as he got up, still holding onto his jaw. “You wanted to fight her, remember?”

Spike openly laughed. At first, he chuckled, but when he fully realized Riley’s stupidity, he leaned forward and bellowed some horse laughs that chilled the entire room. This soddin’ wanker thinks that I want to fight her? The lyrics aren’t that ambiguous...

“Yeah, ‘mate,” Spike replied jokingly as he sat back down on the table. “I wanna beat her up. The song obviously means that. ‘Fuck’ always means fight.” Spike wondered for a second if Riley and Buffy ever had sex, but he quickly shuddered that thought away. Not something I want to think about, as much as I hate her; that is a deeper part of hell than even she deserves to be in.

Riley barely caught the sarcasm. “Oh,” he finally coughed. It was beyond obvious now that Riley wasn’t going to retaliate. To the watchful eye, he looked somewhere between terrified and bewildered. He probably never thought that Spike would have hit him, especially with such great force. Riley was about to say something when Spike got out his Zippo.

This time he burned a wooden cross. He lit a cross on fire in his hands.

“Either this or bridges or your face...” Spike trailed as he gazed at the pretty bright light. But his eyes quickly saw something brighter. Buffy was staring at him in some sort of awe. Hate or admiration from the bint? Can’t really tell.

Riley shuddered at Spike’s words and ran back to the safety of his table, hugging the stereo like it would protect him. Spike threw the enflamed cross in the metal trash bin.

“Do you want to start something?” Angel finally asked. He had watched the entire scene with great surprise and admiration for his friend. He was finally sticking up for himself and it almost inspired Angel to do the same thing. If Spike dated Buffy, he might gather enough courage and date Cordelia.

Spike slid back down into his chair. “Maybe with him,” he gestured to Riley with a point of his lighter.

“But not them, right?” Angel asked innocently as he pointed at the religious table. They were all staring angrily at Spike, ready to throw the book at him.

Spike shrugged. “Maybe them too. Stupid religious slaves always trying to soddin’ convert me. I have to repent for my bleedin’ sins.” He said this mockingly with a wave of his hands. “This whole place is segregated worse than antebellum South. Gah, bugger’em. Bugger’em all.”

That’s a great outlook on life,” Angel pointed out. “And not one that will get us through the school year.”

“You’re too modest, Angel,” Spike replied as he sized Angel up. “We’ve been working out all summer. If it weren’t for all that drinking and lack of sleep, we’d look like beasts.”

Angel cocked his head a little. “True, I guess. But I don’t want to hit a nun.”

Spike chuckled at that. Positive thought, that’s what he needs. “When I have Buffy and you have Cordelia, we should do a double date sometimes.”

It was fun to dream. “That’d be cool,” Angel replied wishfully.

“Maybe even have a foursome afterward,” Spike stated in a too-serious voice with a grin.

“But... wait...” Angel was beyond bewildered as he pointed at Spike. “...have you? And how does that work, anyway?”

The bleached man just cackled in response. “Oh, Angel, we gotta get you a girl, ‘mate.”

Angel looked at Spike unimpressed. “Like you’ve gotten any...”

“As a matter of fact,” Spike grinned as Faith walked up to their table. Faith Wilkins was the principal’s daughter. Wilkins loved his daughter very much. While golfing with the principal, Spike had to... err... care-take to Faith. It wasn’t all that bad, actually. She was great in bed. An animal. Rawr! They shagged like bunnies all summer. And she had that sarcastic vibe that should have turned Spike on beyond belief.

But she just didn’t do it for him. She’s just so... attainable. And the slut of the school. One could observe that notion very easily by the short skirt and skimpy white blouse she was wearing. ‘Least she’s not preppy.

“Hey, Spike,” Faith waved her hand. “‘Heard you made a quite a scene here. What’s up?”

Spike shrugged. “Just putting some populars in their place. You?”

“I was just sitting, hangin’ with some friends outside,” Faith replied coolly. She had her own little “gang,” which was known by everyone as the death metal potheads. Spike didn’t want to join. “Then I heard my favorite song play...” she waggled her eyebrows a little with a mischievous grin, obviously implying that they go do some hanky-panky in the principal’s office.

Spike glanced at the clock. “Not now, Faith. Bell’s gonna ring soon.”

He tried for his best disappointed face, but he wasn’t sure if it was there or not. Right now, he wanted Buffy more than anything. And fuck, he hated that train of thought more than anything. Buffy needs to do a hell of a lot of repenting. Spike was afraid that even if he got it on with Faith, he’d just end up fantasizing about Buffy while they were connected at the groin. And that, ‘mate, is not something I need right now.

Faith shrugged it off. “No big. Mind if I sit?” She pointed to the chair.

Spike gestured openly. “By all means. We can make fun of the jocks together.”

Faith sat down on the chair next to Spike. She secretively looked right and left before she began.

“Still on for the plan?” she whispered.

“Wouldn’t miss it,” Spike replied softly. “The paint’s already in the rafters. Just get your people there at the assembly tomorrow.”

Faith nodded. “It would have looked suspicious if I got it. This way, no evidence or implications.”

“He’s your father, Faith,” Spike managed between chuckles. “Don’t think he’s gonna expel you or anything. Or me, for that matter.”

Faith grinned. “He likes you, y’know that?”

“Yeah, I know,” Spike responded. He was about to say something else, but Faith slowly put her head on Spike’s shoulder, caressing his sexy chest.

Spike gulped as he glanced over to Faith. “Uh... Faith?”

“Yeah, Spike?” she replied coyly as she lapped her hand over his chest again.

“Could you... I need to...” he could barely mumble anything. Oh, shit, I’m in a bloody bind now. I don’t want her at all and she’ll be pissed if we don’t shag anymore. It’s like seeing Buffy’s finally made me realize... But his mind quickly shut that thought off, the idea of Buffy controlling his promiscuity irking him. Dun’ wanna piss her off because of the plan and the fact that she’s Wilkins’ daughter.

The bell rang, forcing the cattle to herd to their next class. It was the best loud and obnoxious ring he ever heard. I’m a lucky bastard.

“I need to go to class,” he mumbled quickly as he gently placed Faith back in her chair and walked with Angel to his last class. Weight Training. Whee! Now that’s a class I can learn something in. And with Angel! He didn’t even notice Buffy’s perturbed and jealous gaze as he walked to the gym.




Okay, so we're almost done with one day of school! And what a day so far! I'm very interested to hear what you all think about the secret plan involving paint. What you think it will be, what you want it to be, etc. Because, honestly, I can't think of anything really creative for it, and it has to be a defining moment. Oh, and I’m totally not going to go Spike/Faith in any non-Buffy related ways. If anything, Faith will become an antagonist down the road.