The next morning Spike woke up with the sound of the baby crying and he got up off the chair he had insisted on sleeping on last night and walked around the bed with a sleeping Dru on it to pick up the little crying bundle.

“hey now shh…calm down…its…daddy.” Spike mumbled a little awkwardly trying to soothe the little infant.
Drusilla lifted her head off the pillow groggily and stared at Spike distastefully.

“Cant you get that thing to shut up.” She growled.
“Thing? Dru this is your son.” Spike said a little impatiently.
“Yeah okay whatever.” Dru muttered rolling her eyes.
Spike just shook his head and rocked the baby until he felt asleep his dark eyes closing slowly.
“Im going to take him out today okay?” Spike said after getting changed. Getting no response from Dru he decided it would be better to take him without her knowing so he strapped the baby into his pram and made his way silently to the door.


Spike sat in the doctors office staring at a poster on the wall while gently pushing the pram backwards and forwards. The doctor came in and smiled at him before taking a seat behind his computer and typing something into his computer before turning back to Spike.
“Okay the results should be back in about 8 weeks.” the doctor smiled.

“EIGHT WEEKS!” Spike squeaked his eyes widening. He had always assumed they’d be able to tell right away not in eight bloody weeks!

No way will I be able to cope with Drusilla for that long.

“Yes im sorry Mr Reynolds but that’s the way it is we can call you when the results come back.”
Spike sighed and nodded leaving the building a definite slump in his shoulders.

When Spike made it back to the hotel he bumped into Buffy in the lobby and they stared at each other for what felt like hours before Buffy ducked her head and all but fled to the elevator. Spike ran after her pushing the pram along with him. Somehow he managed to make it into the lift before the doors closed and he stared at Buffy who happened to be the only other occupant of the tiny lift.

“We need to talk luv.”
“Don’t call me luv.”
“Oh back to that are we?” Spike smirked raising an eyebrow.
“Spike enough okay.” Buffy sighed trying her hardest to ignore the baby in the pram.

She stared at Spike wide eyed when he reached and hit the emergency stop button and the compartment came to a grinding halt. Before Buffy could argue however She was pressed against the wall with Spike closing her in kissing her like it was the first and last time all at once. She moaned and sunk into the kiss for a second before realising what was happening she pushed him away and rubbed at her lips as if trying to erase him.
“You cant do that! You cant just kiss me after all that’s happened.” Buffy shouted at him.

“I love you. I told you that.” Spike sighed.
“You lied to me! You were married! You could have told me! And you said you could never leave her!” Buffy said sadly.
“Buffy please, I don’t love her I swear I love you if you could just wait 8 weeks…”
“Why 8 weeks?” Buffy asked frowning at the rather random request.
“That’s how long it takes for a paternity test.”
Buffy looked at him for a second before looking down at the floor deep in thought.

“So let me get this straight. You love me and not Drusilla and you want me to wait around for eight weeks while you pretend to play happy families and then when the results come back and its not yours you come running back to me?” Buffy said betraying no emotion in her voice or her face and Spike gulped not liking that he couldn’t read her.
“Well its not like that luv. Im not playing happy families im not exactly sleeping with Dru or anything and im not making you wait around I don’t want you too its just the baby I cant ditch an innocent baby not after I grew up with no parents.” Spike sighed.

“And what if it is yours? Where does that leave me?” Buffy asked quietly.
“Right now?…I don’t know Buffy. If it is mine…it will be really hard for Dru to allow me to see him without being with her.” Spike said biting his lip.
“So you’d stay with her?”

“I’d have to.” Spike sighed lifting a hand to stroke the side of Buffy’s face giving her a sympathetic look. Buffy just backed away form him and hit the button on the side panel bringing the elevator to life again. The doors opened onto Buffy’s floor and she stepped out turning around and studying Spike.
“Stay with your family Spike. Its what you want.” Buffy said sadly the doors shutting effectively stopping Spike from replying.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Had a fun day out my prince?” Drusilla crooned as soon as Spike walked through the room door.
“What? Oh…yeah course.” Spike mumbled lifting William and placing him in his crib.
“Want to have some more fun?” Dru giggled wrapping her arms around his neck and moving her lips close to his brushing against them lightly. Spike was too troubled thinking about the complete acceptance that had practically rolled off of Buffy in their earlier encounter to even notice Dru so when her lips firmly pressed into his he jumped in surprise.

“What’s the matter?” Drusilla asked in a hurt voice doing her best little lost girl look.
“Nothing, its just…”

“That Buffy girl right? You know what if you want her so bloody much just leave and don’t come back!” Drusilla snarled.
Spike felt torn, on one hand he would love to have just stood and left the room running straight into Buffy’s arms but one look at the crib and he knew he was trapped. His morals were so damn strong he knew that even if there was the tiniest chance he was the dad he couldn’t leave the little tyke.
“Im not leaving Dru if he’s mine..”

“HE IS YOURS DAMMIT!” Drusilla howled.
Spike backed away a bit staring into Drusilla wild eyes and for the first time felt utterly terrified of the woman before him. She looked downright manic and he wondered if the woman he fell in love with was there at all.


“Okay, okay Dru I believe you but…” Spike tried to think up some idea to get her too keep her distance and he opted for acting a bit on her needy side.
“I want to start over you know? Start as friends again and see if something more comes out of it. You hurt me so much Dru…I just need time.”
Spike felt like clapping himself on the back for that performance.
Maybe I missed my calling as an actor!

Pretending to care even an ounce for the crazy, spiteful loony tune in front of him took every bit of skill he had and he waited with baited breath too see if she would fall for it.
Her eyes clouded over and a dreamy look appeared in her eyes as she moved forward and wrapped him in a hug.
“Oh Spike! Of course im so sorry my sweet little boy.” She cooed stroking his chest gently.
Spike smiled awkwardly and gently moved her away.

“So you wont mind if I sort of get my own room do you?” Spike asked hoping he wasn’t pushing his luck.
A flash of something appeared on Drusilla’s face but it was so quick he didn’t catch what it was.
“There’s no need for that. Surely we can still share a bed, we don’t have to go no further.” Drusilla smiled while inside she was figuring out a way to seduce him already.
“I think it would be for the best.” Spike said strongly picking up his bag and standing as if waiting to be dismissed.
Drusilla sighed and gave up.

Gunna take more time than I thought.

“Okay fine. Go to the front desk and they will sort it all out.” She nodded watching him leave. Once the door was closed William immediately started crying and Dru groaned glowering at the crib angrily.

“Oh shut up you stupid brat!” Drusilla snapped.
When the baby continued to yell Drusilla quickly dialled her PA, Harmony.
“Harmony find a babysitter and find one quick im going out and wont be back till tomorrow.”
“Sure Mrs Rayne, where are you going so I can get in touch with you if needed?”
“Im going to the Radnor House Hotel. My naughty boy will be waiting for me there.” Drusilla giggled already imaging Lindsay walking around his room waiting for her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Spike moved into his new room no problem and was thankful it was on another floor to Drusilla’s. He was too anxious to just sit there however so he went straight to Buffy’s door hoping to salvage some of their relationship and hope she’d give him a second chance. She didn’t answer her door however and he sighed knowing there was no chance of seeing her today.
Not if she set her mind to it.
He stood in the hall for a bit not sure what to do. He didn’t want to be alone and he was thankful too get away from Dru so he wasn’t going up to her room.

He just wandered aimlessly for a bit until he went past a door with loud laughter coming from within. He stared at the door for a bit in surprise. It sounded as if a party was going on in there and he smiled when he heard Xander’s loud laugh sound from within. He knocked on the door and when it opened to reveal Willow he grinned.

“hey Red. Nice to see you again.” Spike smiled faltered when he saw her smile slip away into an impassive face.
“You’re a jerk.” Willow stated.
Spikes smile completely disappeared and he sighed in defeat before turning to leave he was stopped by a hand on his arm and turned back to Willow.

“You’re a jerk but your still kind of my friend.” Willow sighed opening the door for Spike smiled at her in thanks and walked in shocked to see everyone form the island sitting on either the bed or chairs surrounding the bed. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at Spike and he shifted uncomfortably.

“What’s he doing here?” Angel asked anger colouring his voice. Buffy had become a good friend and this asshole had hurt her. That made him a definite bad guy in his eyes.
“Look sorry…I’ll leave.” Spike sighed.
“No. Look guys he’s an ass he knows it but he’s still more or less the guy we knew.” Willow reprimanded them all.
They all looked at each other and all shrugged avoiding eye contact with the blonde.
“Where is Buffy?” Spike asked quietly just noticing that she was the only one absent. Everyone looked around nervously none even looking in his direction.

“What?” Spike asked worriedly.
“Spike…she left.” Willow sighed giving him an almost sympathetic look.
“What do you mean she left? When?” Spike asked jumping up in surprise.
“What do you care your the reason she fucking left.” Angel glared at him.

“What do I care?!! You got some fucking nerve! I love her! I love her so much it fucking hurts and I know I made a huge fucking mistake! I bollixed things up good and proper and im sorry but don’t you ever question how much I care for her okay!” Spike thundered angrily. The silence that filled the room was deafening and everyone stared at a tearful Spike in shock none of them had expected the outburst.

Willow stepped forward and held Spikes hand encouragingly. Spike looked down at her an nodded his appreciation to her.
“She left about an hour ago.” Angel said quietly. He felt like an ass and he looked at Spike with a respect he had never had before.

“Did she say where she was going?” Spike asked.
“No. She said she’d call me when she settled somewhere.” Willow informed him.
Spike just gulped and stared down at the floor in despair. She was really gone.
Without another word Spike left the room heading to his own where he just sat for hours staring at the wall lost in his memories of the last 6 months.