Chapter 8:

Next morning.

“Spike what are you doing?” Tara yawned.
“Going to look for Buffy.” Spike answered.
“Its still dark Spike.” Tara sighed.
“Yeah and im not wasting anymore time sleeping when she could be out there dead. 33 hours Tara she’s been gone bloody 33 hours.” Spike ground his teeth together and made his way to the jungle not having to turn around to know that Tara, Oz and Xander were following him.


“She’s gone isn’t she?” Spike said quietly.
Oz, Xander and Tara all turned to look at the slumped and defeated figure of their friend sitting on a log just behind them. They all looked at each other and didn’t say anything. They all knew what the chances were.
“I…I did a terrible thing. Just before she went missing…oh god what if she died thinking I hated her!” Spike sobbed, all his emotions finally breaking and he broke down completely, bone shaking sobs tearing from his throat as Oz and Xander looked on in pity and Tara tried to stop him crying.

It took almost half hour for him to stop and when he did they could all see the change in him. He was broken. The fire that had been present in his eyes even when searching for Buffy was gone and Tara looked to the boys for help but neither knew what to do. They all fell into silence not knowing what to say.

This was when Spike heard it. A tiny little noise. No louder than a leaf cracking but he heard it. A soft whimpering sound. He stood up suddenly, staring around wildly. The guys all looked at him as if he’d gone mad. He had been slumped and almost dead looking one minute to up and alert the next.

“Spike are you-”

“Shhh!” Spike admonished. Moving slightly forward and to the left. He saw the embankment end suddenly and knew it must have been a gully or possibly a river. He didn’t hear running water however and he moved ever closer down the embankment.
“Spike be careful you might fall. What are you doing?” Xander asked honestly believing Spike had gone out of his mind. Spike laid down on the embankment and looked over the edge of where the earth ended and his breath caught in his throat.

Buffy!

“Guys! I found her she’s here!!” Spike cried in happiness. The other three quickly scrambled over and stared down at the broken body of the girl lying on the stone bottom. They shared a look and looked up at Spike whose eyes were lit up like Christmas day.
“Okay let’s go find a way around into it.” Tara said pushing up and beginning to move around the edges of the gully. Oz and Xander followed not paying attention to Spike who was preparing to jump down into it.

“Spike no!” Tara gasped when she saw him about to jump.
“Tara please it’s only about 10 feet! I’ll be fine.” He said before jumping down the side. He landed on his feet but lost his footing landing on his ass painfully. He ignored the pain however and scrambled over to where Buffy lay. Her left leg seemed to be twisted the wrong way and she was deathly pale, but Spike ignored that thankful that he had finally found her. She had cuts and bruises all over her and the puddle of blood that surrounded her head made Spike turn away and retch up the contents of his empty stomach.

He turned back quickly however and felt for a pulse.
Its there she’s alive!

He laughed with happiness and carefully lifted her head to lay it in his lap. He stroked her knotted and blood soaked hair gently waiting for the others to turn up to help him carry her.

“Buffy luv im so sorry so, so sorry….oh god everything’s gunna be okay now. God Buffy I love you… I really do I love…im so sorry for what I did so so sorry.” Spike cried softly not noticing Buffy’s eyes flutter open. When he did his widened in response and he smiled at her.
“Hey there cutie.” He grinned.
Her eyes were glazed and unfocused and he realised she probably couldn’t tell who he was.

“d…da…dad” She rasped out quietly. Spike barley heard her and he was right next to her mouth.
“No pet. Im not your dad. Spike. Remember Spike?” Spike tried holding up his water and pouring a few drops into her mouth which she gulped down eagerly. He knew enough not to give someone too much water at one time he just didn’t know what else to do. She stared up at him with those pain filled and dazed eyes as if trying to figure out the bloody meaning of the universe and he felt a wave of guilt flood him.

“Im so sorry sweetheart. I shouldn’t have done what I did im so sorry baby so sorry.” He sobbed placing butterfly light kisses all over he cheeks and forehead. When he pulled back he saw an understanding in her eyes as she looked into his shiny blue ones.
“Spi…Spike?” Buffy asked awe tingeing her voice making Spike cry harder.
Before Spike could even reply the others were all crowding around her.

“Spike quick we need to get her to Fred she’ll know what to do.” Tara gasped hurriedly her hands fluttering carefully all over Buffy’s body as if to check she was really there.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Fred and Giles were the only two on the beach when Spike, Tara and Oz returned with Buffy and they both ran forward in shock at seeing the tiny bundle in Spike’s arms.
“She’s hurt.” Spike said dumbly carrying her to a bed that Tara had made out of the foam from the insides of a chair from the plane.

“Okay stand back guys I need to see her properly without everyone crowding.” Fred said seriously bending over Buffy not paying any attention to the group standing behind her. Spike watched in worried frustration as Fred checked Buffy’s neck for her pulse and seemed to check over every inch of her body. She seemed to pay extra attention to Buffy’s head and she shone one of the torches Giles had found into Buffy’s eyes.

“Okay Giles I need you here for a second. Oz find me two lengths of wood about the same size and get me some rope or vines or something.” Fred spoke quickly and Oz immediately took off into the jungle returning quickly with the two sticks he had found.
“Okay Giles I need you to hold Buffy down by the shoulders okay?” Fred requested taking hold of Buffy’s foot and raising it slightly.

“What are you doing?!” Spike asked frantically.
“This leg is broken pretty bad I need to put it back into shape. Don’t worry Spike im not gunna let anything happen to her.” Fred smiled at him encouragingly turning back and seeing Giles already positioned.

“Okay…one two three.” She yanked Buffy’s leg up and out slightly, the loud crunch of the bone shifting and the scream that tore from Buffy’s mouth had everyone wincing and Spike almost fainted.
“You’re hurting her!” Spike bellowed at her but was stopped from moving forward by Tara and Oz.

“Spike im trying the best I can okay! Im not a fully trained doctor you know.” Fred said sternly while placing the two make shift splints onto Buffy’s leg and tying them to her. She rolled up the jeans on her leg and winced sympathetically at the gaping wound in her calf where the bone had broken through the skin. She dabbed some antiseptic on it and wrapped it in a white scrap of t-shirt she had ripped up as bandages.

“Spike do you know how much blood she’s lost?” Fred asked.
“No. I mean urm…there was a little pool of it…from her head.” Spike informed her trying desperately to be helpful. Fred moved to the back of Buffy’s head again and studied the cut intently. She didn’t think she had lost that much blood really, there was a small gash but nothing major. What did bother her however was what damage may have been done to her brain.

“Has she spoken at all?” Fred asked.
“Yeah she called me dad at first but then she called me my name.” Spike spoke with a touch of desperation in his voice. He was pacing now his mind going insane with worry.
“Come on Spike lets go over here.” Tara eased him over to sit around the dormant for the moment camp fire. Spike sat down numbly and buried his face in his hands.
“Don’t worry Spike. Fred will tell us when she’s finished okay. She just needs space.” Tara sighed rubbing her hand on his shoulder.

“Hey guys what’s up?” Cordelia beamed as her Wesley, Riley, Angel and Gunn came out of the jungle followed by a very bored looking Anya.
Tara sighed before launching into the whole story while Spike sat still as a statue lost completely in his thoughts