Day 10

Buffy snuggled deeper into the firm embrace that made her feel safe and secure. She would never have dreamed that she would feel this way in the arms of Spike. Oh, but maybe dream isn’t the right word, because apparently she’d do a lot more than that in her dreams.

Opening her eyes, she took the opportunity to study the slumbering vampire. What was it about him that made him so different from others of his species? He had been caring and gentle and supportive. He’d asked for nothing in return. He was just happy to have her friendship. She was stunned that a vampire seemed to have a better grasp on friendship than her human friends.

She smiled as Spike opened sleepy eyes to gaze at her through lowered lashes. “So, what’s the plan today, naked boy?”

Spike’s eyes widened comically. Pulling the sheet up to his chin, he snarked, “it’s alright, luv. It’s not your fault the groom’s prettier than the bride.”

“See, it’s these sorts of delusions that prove you have no reflection,” she lobbed back without missing a beat.

Chuckling in appreciation of her quick wit, Spike chose to give his suggestion to her original question. “Investigating the nerd after we check in with Rupert?”

“Sounds like a plan.”


*****

Buffy walked along the street on her way to meet Spike. She was lost in daydreams about waking up wrapped tightly in the arms of the blond vampire that morning. She wondered what it would have been like if she had pressed her lips to his. Would he have responded? Kissed her breathless or pulled away in disgust? Did he feel that way about her, or was he only interested in friendship?

She remembered the spell that had brought about their engagement and the kisses that they had shared. The passion they had felt for each other. Would the kisses be the same sans spell, or would they even better knowing it was themselves and not magic causing the reactions?

The blond was torn between being glad she had some time to herself to reflect on her feelings and wanting to be with the vampire who was now making his way through the sewers. At least Spike had the option of not breathing, which she did not, hence the walking down the street.

She was trying to avoid the delusions of marriage and fat grandchildren that she had with Angel, even if she had denied it to the brooding vampire. She knew the realities of dating a vampire now, knew the limitations and advantages, even a vampire without a soul.

Spike had always seemed so different from other vampires, even different from Angel. He had always had so much emotion besides the bloodlust, such a capacity to love beyond what even most humans had. The lengths that he would go to for someone he cared about were awe inspiring.

She blushed brightly when she remembered the naughty images that had popped in her head while snuggling with the blond vampire, so many wickedly tempting things that she had always wondered about, things that she was too shy to ask Parker for and too afraid to ask Riley about for fear of freaking out her uptight boyfriend. Soon-to-be ex-boyfriend, she thought.

She cringed when thinking about Riley's reaction to their impending breakup. He was already so jealous and paranoid she was sure that he wouldn't take it well. If he got even an inkling that she might be interested in Spike…well, she could imagine the fallout from that easily enough. She growled at the thought of anyone threatening her vampire. Riley would be in for a world of hurt if he even tried.

She stood by the manhole cover, trying to calm her sudden case of nerves and waiting for her companion to arrive. I mean, admitting I’m friends with Spike is one thing, she thought. Admitting that I want his smoochies is a whole different cup of tea. She groaned at her inner thoughts. She really needed to stop hanging out with British guys so much.

Actually, if she was going to be all honest girl with herself, it wasn't so much the kissing that left her feeling weak-kneed. It was the thought of hours and hours of hot monkey sex that did it. The man was sex appeal walking; she had no delusions that he wouldn't know his way around a bedroom. She thought back to the kisses during Willow's spell. Yes the man definitely knew how to bring a woman to her knees...figuratively speaking, of course. She blushed at the detour her thoughts had taken once again. Bad Buffy!

Finally a soft rustling of leather and a gentle splash alerted her to the vampire's arrival. Lifting the cover carefully, not wanting to expose him to the sun too soon, she waited for his dash to the watchers so that she could lower the heavy metal disk and follow.

Spike was just stomping out the last of the flames when she walked into the apartment. "We so need to find you a better way to travel, Spike."

"Ha ha, Slayer. If I had my soddin' gem, I wouldn't have to run around like a vampire flambé, now would I?"

"Yeah, cause that was such a good idea. ’Look at me, I'm gonna take over the bleedin' world.'" She smirked when she heard his growl of irritation.

"I thought I told you not to imitate me. You better watch it, little girl, I might take a notion to turn you over my knee and give you a right proper spanking," he threatened with his finger wagging like an angry school teacher.

She felt her face immediately flush again at the image that filled her mind. If I keep this up I'm going to look permanently sunburned, she thought. Thankfully she heard heavy footsteps on the stairs behind her and whirled around to greet her watcher.

"Morning, Giles. Sleep well?" she asked frantic to cover her embarrassment.

"Good morning, you two. Yes, actually I slept rather well considering the circumstances."

"Circumstances? There's circumstances, now?" Buffy asked, her gaze moving between the two men in the room.

"I think he means our loopy day from hell, pet." The blond vampire chuckled as he sprawled out in the easy chair.

"Oh yeah, I knew that," she assured dropping down onto the couch.

"What are your plans for the day?" the watcher asked as he settled at the table with a pen and paper. Old habits were hard to break.

Well, I think we're going to check out this Warren guy. Seems like he might be bad news. We've pretty much figured out what to do about Willow. She just wants us to accept Tara, which is pretty easy. She's really nice. Xander we know but need to work on our technique with and see what works the best in easing his fears. Plus, we need to figure out the best way to help him adjust to Tara and Spike. That leaves Forrest, Warren, Jonathan, and Adam and the disks to take care of. Does that sound like all of it, Spike?"

He shrugged. "It sounds right to me, luv. So far, anyway."

She cringed, knowing he had just jinxed them. "Ugh, don't say that. We don't need anymore surprises."

“Don’t get your knickers in a twist, pet.”

Her brows lowered in a frown. “What is that, some kind of British code?”

The blond vampire rolled his eyes, “Knickers, undies, panties. Whatever you wanna call them. I picture you as a thong kind of girl.” His words and evil smirk caused her to once again go into the land of wicked ideas.

“Can we not discuss my underwear?” her voice squeaked as she ducked her head, hoping that her hair was covering most of her face.

“Yes, I think that would be a good idea.” Giles cleared his throat, glasses and polishing cloth already in hand. “So you plan to start with Warren you say?”

“I was thinking that I could get the Desoto, maybe do a bit of a stakeout. If they leave, we can poke around a bit and see if we can find anything useful.”

“You mean like breaking and entering?”

“Well, yeah. How else are we gonna get a look around? I doubt the boy will ask us in and tell us all about his evil plans. Of course, I don’t have an invite, so it’ll have to be you doing the actual poking about, but I’ll stand guard for you,” he offered generously.

“Well, I don’t want to go by myself. Maybe I can get Xander to go with. We can talk and I can feel him out, see what the best way to reassure him is.”

“It’s your call, pet. If that’s what you want, I can stay here and help the watcher plan out the best way to get those disks from Adam without letting on that we’re too anxious to get them.”

“That sounds like a plan to me. Oh and Giles, don’t forget that you need to dis-invite Angel again. We don’t need him busting in here unannounced and freaking out on anyone.”

The vampire and the watcher exchanged evil glances. “No, we wouldn’t want to have to stake the poofter again, would we?” the vampire murmured to his co-conspirator.

Giles cleared his throat before replying, “Quite right. That would be a tragedy.”

The pair shared a quick smile before the watcher picked up the phone to call Willow. It took a bit of convincing to get her to bring her researched spells to his apartment, even more to assure her that she wasn’t in any trouble.

Buffy shook her head at the male’s antics as she made her way out the door. Knowing Xander had taken the day off, she headed toward his parents basement. The walk gave her more time to think about all the changes that had happened over the last several days and her surprising new friendship with Spike, the insecurities that haunted her friends, and all the other things around her that had the potential for badness.

She chuckled at the thought of the major wiggins Xander was going to have when he figured out that Spike was joining the group. Now that she was no longer letting others dictate how she lived her life, the idea of facing Xander with the news wasn’t scary at all. In fact, she almost welcomed the idea of telling them she was going to be in charge of her life from here on out.

Her steps were suddenly lighter and she couldn’t stop the smile that spread across her face. Self-assurance was pretty cool.

She met up with Xander and the walk to Warren's was littered with small talk and half-hearted attempts to work out his true feelings. She had hoped to make progress on their floundering relationship, but so far had failed to find a way to approach the subject.

“So how are things going with you?” she finally blurted, groaning inwardly. Real smooth, Buffy, she thought in disgust.

“Um, fine. Why do you ask?” He gave her a look that was a mixture of suspicion and uncertainty.

“Oh, I was just wondering. So, you’re still liking the construction job?” she asked quickly. She figured she had already bungled the conversation so she might as well just get the answers she needed and pray the next time she would be better prepared.

“Well, yeah. I mean, it was kind of slow going at first. Being the new guy means they call you last for all the jobs, but it also means that I don’t have to work quite as often, which helps if anyone needed me for anything. Things are starting to pick up though, and the boss seems to think I’m doing alright, which means they’ll keep calling me back.”

“That’s great, Xan. Sounds like you finally found something you’re good at.” Okay, that sounded condescending. “Not that you weren’t good at lots of things, but that you found something you can enjoy and make a living at.” The slayer hung her head and whimpered. Thank God he wouldn’t remember any of this tomorrow. Maybe she and Spike could work out some conversation points, things to say and not to say. He was so much better at reading people than she was. He was much better at the actual talking, too.

“What about Anya? Things going okay there?” In truth, she didn’t really see the appeal of the out-spoken girl, but she knew Xander cared for her and really didn’t dare cast stones now. Hello, I’ve become best friends with a vampire, she thought to herself. It’s not like she could object to her friend dating an ex-demon when she was running around with a soulless still-a-demon and not finding anything wrong with it. And waking up in his bed, she thought with a blush.

“Yeah, I guess. I know you guys don’t like her much, but she’s a really nice girl.”

“I like Anya. What’s not to like? I mean she’s a bit…forward, but sometimes things like that can be refreshing. Take Spike for instance-”

“Spike? When was there a taking of Spike?”

“What? I mean; no, there wasn’t. I mean, just look at him, all bad boy swagger and cocky attitude, but remember the way he was with Drusilla? He loved her for a century. He was totally devoted. How many people could say that?”

“Why were we talking about Spike again?” The brunette’s brow dipped in a deep frown. He had worried since Willow’s spell that Buffy would suffer after affects. He had been so relieved when she began dating Riley, even if he was a little stiff around the edges.

“I’m just saying that maybe there’s layers to him that we don’t see, just like I’m sure that Anya has layers that you see, but we don’t. That’s all I’m saying.” She avoided her friend’s eyes, sure that he would see something that was better left concealed for the time being. She didn’t want him to think that she was interested in Spike. They were just beginning to get on even footing. No need to screw it up by making Xander go all damage bound.

Xander was so quiet for a few moments that she feared she might have gone too far in her defense of the blond vampire. She was relieved when he finally spoke again.

“So what’s up with this Warren guy?” he asked clearly disturbed by her train of thought.

Buffy could tell he was ready for a change in conversation and truth be told, so was she. They finished the walk quickly, both wary of saying anything to upset the other. She told him what little they knew about Warren and gave a roundabout explanation of why the needed to know what he was up to and that they had information pointing him out as a dangerous subject. Fortunately after their earlier conversation Xander wasn’t asking too many questions.

After sitting on the bus stop bench across the street for almost an hour, they finally saw Warren exit the basement apartment. Waiting until they were sure he was gone, they made their way around the side of the house, trying to look as natural as possible, which was hard with Xander humming the theme song from Mission Impossible.

Both were jittery and afraid of being caught. Even though Buffy knew that the day would re-loop and she’d wake up safe and sound, she really didn’t want to spend the rest of her night locked up in jail.

They searched the room as thoroughly as possible without leaving too much evidence of their rummaging. Buffy made a list of all the things they found and slipped away as soon as possible. She made excuses to Xander, assuring him that he didn’t need to return to Giles with her, that she would just drop off the info and head out once more. She didn’t want to have to deal with a blow up about Spike’s presence or make Spike uncomfortable when he was just getting a sense of belonging.

After a quick stop to save Forrest, which inevitably ended with her having to knock him out, she entered her watchers apartment and grinned at the sight of the two men with their heads together. They were arguing over a notebook with Giles pointing his finger at the handwritten papers. “-and I told you I bloody well checked it three times, this spell could not bring about that type of effect.”

“Hey guys, what’s with the tension? It’s so thick you could cut it with a sword.” Buffy teased, her grin faded when neither man acknowledged her joke. “Wow, tough room.”

“It seems we may have a problem, pet.” Spike breathed a weary sigh as he dropped into the armchair behind him.

“I thought we were already smack dab in the middle of a whole load of problems, what’s one more?” she asked, worried by his defeated attitude.

Giles removed his glasses as he sat down beside her and began to clean them thoroughly. “It appears that Willow’s spell did not cause the claiming bites between you and Spike.”

“But that’s a good thing right?” At the negative shakes of both men she amended. “It’s not a good thing…why is it not a good thing?”

“We believe that Dru used Willow’s spell as a catalyst to cast her own, basically using Willows magic as an amplifier. Willow’s spell was to bring about renewal and a rebirth. Dru must have taken the base of the spell and manipulated it for her own purposes; hence the repeating day came about. We are fairly certain which spell Drusilla has cast, thanks to Jonathan, and can rule that out as being a part of the dreams and biting as well.”

Buffy looked back and forth between the two men. “Okay, you’re gonna have to spell it out for the slow girl.” She changed her mocking tone quickly when Spike growled at her choice of words. “I mean for the girl who just walked in on the conversation.”

“Watcher here thinks Dru did another spell.”

“Okay, what does it matter if it was part of the original spell or a different one?”

“Because pet, we don’t know if the bites are connected to the first spell. We don’t know if breaking the first one will break this one will as well, or if we’re gonna be stuck mated after all this is over.”

“Oh,” she said quietly. She didn’t know if she was more disappointed in the news that they didn’t know what they were dealing with or Spike’s apparent distress over being ‘stuck’ mated to her for eternity. Buffy stood and walked quickly into the kitchen, needing some time to regroup before she could face the two men.

Giles and Spike exchanged glances when the slayer exited the room, both men trying to prompt the other with gestures to check on the obviously upset girl.

Spike leaned in and whispered, “You need to go see if she’s alright.”

“Me? Why me? You’re mated to her, you bloody coward.”

“I told you hearing about the spell was only going to upset her. She didn’t need the added stress of the claim on top of everything else.”

“Not letting her know all the facts wouldn’t help the situation either, Spike. She deserves to know what’s happening.”

The blond vampire hung his head for a moment before replying. “You’re right, she needed to know. I just hate that she’s suffering through this just because Dru’s insane scheming. It’s my fault this is happening.” He jumped up in agitation and paced briefly before moving cautiously to the doorway. He could feel her distress through the bites.

He found her leaning over the sink, her shoulders slumped. He could hear the telltale sounds of sniffling and smell her salty tears. Gingerly placing his hands on her petite frame he pulled until her head rested on his shoulder. “It’ll be alright, pet. I promise we’ll make this right somehow. We don’t really know what’ll happen and if the spell breaks and the claim still stands, then we’ll deal with it, alright?”

“I’m sorry. I know you don’t want to be mated to me for all eternity.” She sniffed again before continuing. “On the plus side, slayers live short lives, so eternity shouldn’t take too long.”

“What the bleedin’ hell are you talking about?” He was unnerved by the talk of her death like it was inevitable.

“It’s okay really. I mean, just cause we’re friends doesn’t mean you want to be tied to me for your whole unlife…or my short one. Whatever.” She hung her head, not wanting him to see the tears forming in her eyes once again.

Spike’s hands tightened on her arms and he shook her slightly. “Now you listen to me, claim or no claim you’re important to me, kitten. The first real friend I’ve had since, well, ever. If I lost you now, I’d probably dust myself, or meet the sunrise anyway, because I’ve tried the self-dusting and it doesn’t work that well.”

She giggled lightly. “Has anyone ever told you that you’re lame?”

“None that lived to tell about it anyway,” he grinned, relieved to get a smile from her tear stained face.

He used the pads of his fingers to wipe away her tears and Buffy found herself focused on his mouth as he smiled shyly at her. She swayed slightly, fighting the urge to lean in and press her mouth to his. The spell was broken when he suddenly dropped his hands and pulled something from his back pocket.

“I almost forgot. I made you something. It’s not much, but when the watcher started researching the spell over and over, I got bored. I dug around in the weapons a bit and found some wood the whelp probably left.” He stopped abruptly when he realized he was rambling.

She took the stake from his outstretched hand and turned it over, checking the workmanship and testing its weight in her palm. It had finger holds carved out, fitting her hand perfectly. Running trembling fingers down the smooth surface, she felt the tears burning her eyes again. “Thank you, Spike.”

“Bloody hell, it wasn’t supposed to make you cry. It’s just a little something and…well, I couldn’t get out and get you a real gift. I’ll try to get you something better later, ‘cause you know…you said that friends give gifts and I just wanted to do something nice for you. I know you’re probably sick to death of stakes-” His babbling came to an abrupt halt when her fingers brushed against his lips, pressing firmly.

“It’s wonderful, Spike. Happy tears, I promise,” she whispered softly, once again lost, this time in the silky feel of his mouth.

“Oh. Good then.” He was glad that he was a vampire, because he knew that he would be a very unbecoming shade of red at that point.

Buffy cleared her throat and turned away. “So if you guys have the spells, then where’s Willow?” she asked.

“She and the blond witch decided to go back and get a few more books. They should be back anytime.”

“Oh. Well, it was getting dark when I got back. Did Giles remember to do the dis-invite spell?” She shouldn’t be so worried about her friends. They all knew the dangers of living on the Hellmouth.

“Not to worry, pet. You saw the way Red’s girl handled Angelus yesterday, they’ll be fine,” he tried to assure her. “By the way, when the two Wicca’s were here earlier I felt some tinglies again, I thought they were from Red at the time, but then she and the watcher left the room and they only seemed to get stronger and I know we both felt them with her yesterday.”

“What could we possibly have to fix for Tara? She’s a little shy, but so far besides the magic she seems normal enough.”

“We might need to do a little digging, ask her some questions. Not all scars are on the outside, kitten. You should know that.”

“Right. Okay, we can do that.” She turned her head, getting a familiar sense of tinglies. These weren’t from the bites, but regular vamp ones. “Angels here,” she said unnecessarily. She could tell he sensed him at the same time by the stiffening of his posture.

“Let’s greet ol’ granddad, shall we?” he asked holding out his arm like he was escorting her to a ball. She slid her arm through his, giggling at his antics as he made his way grandly through the living room. Flinging the door open, he smiled brightly at the flustered vamp whose hand was still poised to knock.

“Peaches, how kind of you to drop in uninvited and all that. We’d invite you in, but…well we don’t really like you.” The blond vampire never lost his grin. Angel’s confused expression added to his delight.

“What the hell is this?” the dark vampire asked. “What the hell is he doing here, touching you? Is this some kind of payback because of Faith?”

“Yes, Angel. It’s all about you. For you’re information, Spike and I are mated. Oh, and we’re engaged, too.” Buffy slipped her free hand under her hair pulling it back and away from her neck to bring the claiming bite into full view.

“Still need to get you a proper ring, pet. I can’t see Joyce approving of the skull ring for her only daughter.” Spike’s grinned widened when he heard the watchers snickering behind them.

“Oh, can we go shopping tomorrow, Spikey?” Buffy asked in her best Harmony impersonation. Her performance was so good that the blond vampire had to keep himself from cringing.

“Anything you want, kitten.” He smiled down at her bright face, enjoying their taunting immensely.

The slayer leaned into the bleached vampire, resting her head on his shoulder. “Isn’t he just the sweetest?” she sighed dreamily.

The dark vampire started to growl. Totally confused by the newest situation, he found himself losing control quickly. A sound from the courtyard behind him had the broody vamp spinning around. In the moonlight, he saw Willow and another girl walking toward the apartment. Things started clicking into place.

Willow.

Willow must have done a spell. He had heard from Willy about the redhead’s spell that had caused the demon population to suddenly find themselves unable to do anything but seek out Xander, and the demon grapevine claimed that Buffy and Spike had found themselves engaged. That must be it; the witch did it.

He growled again before stalking toward the girls. He felt so enraged that his demon face slipped into place. He felt immense satisfaction when both females paused and Willow made a frightened sound.

Willow reacted without thought, throwing her hands out and shouting, “congelo”

The group looked on, mesmerized when the broody vampire frozen in place. They gathered around his still form cautiously.

“What did you do, Red?” The vampire moved closer to the frozen figure. He could see the brunette’s eyes glaring at them although it was obvious that he was unable to move anything else.

“I-I don’t know. I just reacted. He was coming at us all ‘grrr’ and I was afraid Angelus was back. H-he’s not is he? Angelus, I mean.”

Buffy sighed heavily, “No, he’s not Angelus, just a really pissed off Angel.” She looked at the excited blond next to her. “Maybe we shouldn’t have taunted him like that.”

Spike shot her an incredulous look, “What are you kiddin’? That was bloody fantastic, that was. Hey Red, how long will he stay like this?” he asked as he reached out, poking the Angel statue in the nose, pushing slightly and watching gleefully as he wobbled on his feet before steadying again.

“Um, about 5 hours…maybe 6. I can try to do a reversal spell-” she jumped when both blondes shouted, “No!”

“We can’t just leave him out here- people will see him- and we can’t invite him in. Spike quit it,” she admonished her cohort, trying not to laugh at his continued poking of Angel.

“There’s a nice dark corner, pet. We’ll just drag him over there and by the time the spell ends, it’ll be too late for any more interference and the day will be over.”

“Okay, sounds like a plan.” She tried to avoid the shocked gaze from her first love over her callous treatment of him.

Together, she and Spike moved the stiff figure into the corner of the courtyard behind some bushes. Satisfied that he was out of sight, they made their way back into the watchers home.

The rest of the night was pretty uneventful. Willow and Tara confirmed that both spells performed could not have caused the biting dreams that the blonds had experienced, but neither had a clue what might have been used.

After a brief recap for the two witches, Buffy filled in the group about the things that she had learned about Warren. She described the drawings of futuristic weaponry, the bits and pieces of mannequins, and stacks of girlie magazines that littered the basement apartment. All in all, it painted a creepy picture of their old classmate, but no real evidence of wrong doing. They decided to take a day to follow Warren around, check out his activities and if that didn’t help, to go back and try to question Jonathan about his involvement with the strange boy. If every else failed, they would look into capturing Warren and trying a truth spell to get the answers they needed.

Once the meeting dispersed, the slayer and the vampire found themselves outside Giles’ apartment trying to decide where to go from there. “I’m just saying, Spike, we’ve ended up there two nights in a row, and we can pretty well figure we’re going to end up there again. We might as well start out there,” she stated calmly avoiding Angel’s horrified gaze.

“Are you sure you want to sleep at the crypt, pet?” He didn’t want her to be uncomfortable sleeping in a place of death, but she didn’t seem to have a problem with it and she did have a point. Having the poof witness their conversation was just an added bonus.

“Alright, kitten, it’s your decision. Night, Peaches,” he called over his shoulder as he wrapped his arm around the petite blond, delighted when she leaned into his embrace.

“Night, Angel,” Buffy called softly, feeling so secure in the strong arms holding her tight.

Angel watched them until they were out of sight, filled with disbelief over the events that had unfolded. He heard the creak of the door to his right but couldn’t turn to see who it was. He shuddered inwardly when a quiet voice whispered, “Goodnight, Angel.”

Giles dusted his hands off as he closed and bolted his door once more. I could never get tired of that, he thought as he made his way up the stairs to his bedroom.

*****

They settled into the large bed awkwardly. It was one thing to wake up together with no knowledge of how you got there; it was quite another to start out that way. They finally settled down with Buffy laying her head on his shoulder, while Spike wrapped his arms around her in a friendly embrace. Both were careful to not touch the other anywhere that could be considered intimate.

Buffy had placed Spike’s mug, with her stake sticking out of it, on the table next to the bed. “Do you think we’re making any progress, Spike?” she asked sleepily.

“Sure, luv. Things are changing, aren’t they? We’re pretty close to figuring most of it out. Just need to keep at it and we’ll have this thing licked in no time.”

Licked? Oh, bad Buffy! She thought, fighting the urge to squirm. His words did little ease the wrong lusty feelings she was having. Squashing the evil thoughts down, she smiled at her companion. “Well, I’m glad it’s you I’m stuck with. I can’t imagine having to repeat a day over and over with Xander or Angel or- God-forbid- Riley. I think I would have gone insane by now.”

He chuckled lightly before replying, “No problem, Slayer. There’s no one else I’d rather spend an eternal day with than you, either.”

She grinned as she snuggled in closer. “You say the sweetest things, blondie bear.”

“Night, pet.”

“Night, Spike.”

******

After hours of peaceful slumber, Buffy opened her eyes to find Spike still sound asleep and snoring gently. He snores. That’s so cute, she thought. She pulled back slowly, not wanting to wake him. She was delighted to see her stake still sticking out of his mug.

Settling back down into his arms, she quietly observed his features. He was so breathtakingly handsome. The cheekbones, the full lips, even the scar above this eye. It all added up to one sexy package. Her eyes dipped down to his chest and abdomen that wasn’t covered by the sheet. Damn, the vamp has abs in abundance, she thought. Her mouth watered and her fingers itched to touch. Down girl.

She thought back to the Willow’s spell and the wonderful kisses they’d shared. Hmmm, Lips of Spike. Almost against her will, she found her eyes drawn to those same lips. She hesitated, checking his face to make sure he was still asleep. Just one little kiss, she thought. One slight pressing together of their lips. He was sleeping so soundly, he would never know.

She lowered her head to his once again. So close she could feel his unneeded breath against her face.

Just one…little…kiss.