Day 13

Spike woke earlier than Buffy for once and looked down at the beautiful blond in his arms. She’d been asleep when he finally came back to the crypt and he had been careful not to disturb her. He had told himself it was because he was looking out for his friend who was tired. It had nothing to do with anything else. Nothing at all.

Carefully easing his way out of the bed, so as not to disturb her, he quickly donned his clothes and sat on the ladder to wait for her to wake.

Buffy slowly opened her eyes. Something was wrong. Confused at waking up alone, she groggily looked around the area in search of her mate.

"Spike?"

"Right here, pet," he called out, not moving from his spot.

She rubbed her eyes, peering into the darkened corner. "What are you doing?"

"Just waiting for you to get up. We've got lots to do. Lives to fix, Frankenstein's to terminate, repeating days to break." He clapped his hands and rubbed them together with what he hoped looked like enthusiasm.

Buffy's eyes narrowed in suspicion, "Why are you acting all wiggy? Is this about the kiss?" Kicking back the covers, she stood up with her hands on her hips, waiting for his response.

"What?" he squeaked before trying again in a more manly voice. "I mean, what? Of course not."

"Then what's with the avoidance?"

He stood, sliding his hands in his pockets to avoid fidgeting. "Look, pet. It's not so unusual. Two people...in the workplace...feelings develop."

"What?" she exclaimed.

"I'm just saying, things get twisted around, emotions get confused. It happens to everyone now and again. It's only natural, and with us and the looping day, throw on a mating bite and the ‘to do’ list from hell and things are bound to be crazy. It'll pass as soon as we get this all straightened out and things can get back to normal."

She tried to walk toward him, frustrated when he kept backing away. "There's something between us, Spike. You can't deny it."

"It's the mating bite, kitten. It's got you feeling all these...well, feelings."

"I know my own feelings, Spike." She was clearly annoyed now.

He tried to explain calmly. "I'm just saying, pet. Things are hazy right now, with everything going on. Neither one of us has been through this before, so we don't really know how it could be affecting us."

"So you think my kissing you had to do with a spell or mating or something?" she asked crossing her arms.

The vampire started to pace in agitation. "It's not the first time it happened is it? We thought we had feelings once before and as soon as the spell ended, we were back to hating each other."

She stomped her foot angrily. "Spike, that is not going to happen!"

He ran a weary hand across his eyes. He was tired from fighting his feelings and hers. "Look Buffy, things were going so well, let's not bugger it up. I don't wanna lose you."

Her glare softened. She knew how strong the fear of losing someone could be. "That's not even an issue, Spike. I can't believe you're getting this freaked out by one little kiss."

"I am not freaked out," he protested. "I just think we should wait, see what happens, before we rush into anything."

"Fine, we wait, but my feelings won't change." She walked to the ladder, where she paused and turned to him with one foot on the bottom rung. "So are we okay?"

"Yeah, pet. We're okay." He smiled a little too brightly before turning the opposite way to the sewers.

*****

Buffy opened the door ushering Willow and a nervous Tara into the apartment. The slayer, vampire, and watcher had discussed what they would tell the witches when they arrived.

They had begun to search for a prophecy about their mating, hoping to find some answers in the ancient volumes. They decided to tell them about the mating, but not the repeating day unless it was necessary.

"Hey, guys, glad you could make it, the extra eyes will come in handy," Buffy joked.

"Hey, Buffy. Hey, Giles...and Spike," she finished haltingly as the two Brits came out of the kitchen together. The redhead leaned toward her friend and whispered, "Why is Spike here?"

"Oh, that. Spike's helping," the slayer stated matter-of-factly, grinning across the room at the smirking vampire.

"Oh. Spike's helping," the witch repeated, frowning in confusion. "Cause that's a normal thing," she mumbled as she followed her friend into the living area.

"Come sit down and we'll explain what's happening," Giles assured them.

The three took turns telling the witches the tale of how the slayer and vampire had become mated. The dream bites and the information they found in LA.

"But how did Spike end up with you in LA? You went by yourself and you haven't had time to go back?" Willow asked, her mind finding the details that were left out more significant than those that were told.

The trio exchanged glances, communicating silently on whether they should give the redhead the rest of the story.

'Might as well tell it all, slayer,' the vampire said, taking advantage of the mating.

Sighing, the slayer turned back to her friend. "Okay, Will's it's like this…” The story on the looping day took a little longer than the first, especially when they got to the young witch’s involvement. It took a while to calm her down and then a bit more time to convince her she didn't need to start baking.

"T-that would make sense. Y-your aura's have both changed so much since the l-last time I saw you. T-those kinds of c-changes take time," the shy witch stuttered.

"Okay, so we research," Willow declared. She stood determinedly, walking to the table and grabbing several volumes. She turned clutching the books to her chest. "There’s something I don't understand. The loopy day; you have to 'fix' things in order to make it break, right?" She waited for the group to nod before continuing. "Okay, but some of the things you mentioned…Jonathan, Xander, Riley and Adam? Those aren't easy fixes; they would take some time, at least more than a day."

"Um, yeah I guess. What are you thinking, Wills?" the slayer asked trying to follow her reasoning.

"Well it would make more sense if you could start on the way to fixing those things to break the day, instead of fixing the whole problem. Let's face it; it's going to take more than one good day to help Xander through his problems, and getting Jonathan away from Warren isn't just a one time deal," the witch rambled on, getting excited about her theory. "So maybe if you just get the ball rolling, start making the changes, that would let the spell break and the day loop just allowed you time to see what needed to be changed."

The blonds smiled at each other when the felt the familiar pleasant tingling associated with correct decision or finding. "Sounds like a winner, Will's."

"Yeah, nice thinking, Red."

"Um, what was that?" the witch asked, watching as the blonds seemed to gravitate towards each other with a simple glance.

"Oh, yeah. Spike and I can communicate with each other in our heads. Neat, huh?"

"Oh. Oh!" she exclaimed, her eyes widening.

*****

They had been searching Giles' books for hours, still not finding a reference to a prophecy that said anything about slayers and vampire's mating.

“Okay, enough research. We need to head to the Bronze,” the slayer announced, slamming her book closed and ignoring the glare from her watcher at the treatment of his rare volumes. “We’re meeting Jonathan and one of his friends there at seven, and Xander and Anya are joining us around eight.”

The watcher began to clean up the mess around the table as the group gathered their things together. He looked at the vampire in concern when he started to fidget, seemingly reluctant to leave with the group.

“Coming, Spike?” Buffy called from the doorway.

The blond seemed to hover indecisively for a moment before reaching a decision. “No, pet. Gonna stay here with the watcher this round.”

Buffy frowned before turning to the two girls waiting outside. “I’ll catch up in just a minute.” She closed the door and walked back to stand close to the suddenly nervous vamp.

Giles chose that moment to take the cups and plates into the kitchen to allow them some privacy.

Buffy waited until he was gone before asking, “what’s up? We made all the calls hours ago. I thought we were going to dance and make with the merry. Why are you bailing?”

His eyes glazed over at the thought of his mate's body pressed against his, moving to the pulsing beat of the music they favored at the club the gang frequented. He shook himself out of his stupor, willing away the erection that was a constant companion since the beginning of their…friendship.

“Just thought I’d stay and keep the watcher company, is all,” he replied, unable to look her in the eyes.

“Uh huh. Try again, bleach boy.” Her eyes narrowed as she took in the nervous twitching and inability to meet her questioning gaze. “Is this about yesterday morning?” she asked, unable to keep the hurt from her voice.

“What? No!” his head jerked toward the kitchen, suddenly glad Giles wasn’t there to witness this confrontation.

“Then what is it?” she crossed her arms waiting for him to answer.

“Just wanted to spend some time with the watcher, pet. Get back a little of the day we lost together. You’ll be with the Scoobies and the nerd; you’ll have plenty of company, while Rupes is stuck alone.” He worked the guilt angle, hoping for a payoff. “Besides, the whelp will be there and even with our little bonding experience yesterday- the one that he won‘t remember- it's better if we don't push the issue.”

She snorted derisively. “Xander will just have to get used to having you around. He might as well start sooner rather than later.”

“Then how about we make it when he can actually remember what he’s supposed to get used to? ‘Sides, Red‘s suspicious enough without me tagging along with the group. I can just imagine what the reactions would be to me and you sharing a dance or two.” He hoped she wouldn’t push.

“Fine,” she huffed, not looking convinced but moving towards the door anyway. “If you change your mind, you know where we’ll be.”

Spike turned toward the sound of a throat clearing behind him.

“As gracious as it is to sacrifice your evening to keep me company, I can’t help but feel there’s more to it than what you told Buffy,” the older man stated, arching an eyebrow at the tense figure in front of him.

“Too much time on the Hellmouth, Rupes. It’s made you paranoid.” The blond chuckled uneasily, knowing the Brit was far too observant to fool for long. When the older man continued to watch him, cleaning his glasses as he waited, Spike sighed deeply before replying, “can I just say that the Slayer and I shared an embarrassing, and um…private moment yesterday that I’m still a bit uncomfortable about and leave it at that?”

Giles slipped his glasses back into place as he stuttered, “ah, by personal I assume you mean…right, then! Well, as you said, it‘s private. How about a drink?” He was already opening the liquor bottle before the vampire had time to answer, pouring them both a generous amount into crystal glasses.

Picking up both glasses, he handed one to the blond and raised his own in a toast before quickly tossing back half of it’s contents.

Two hours and three bottles later, the unlikely pair of watcher and vampire sat side by side on the couch, laughing and telling stories about the ‘good ol’ days’. Both curbed some of the gorier details, Spike not wanting to ruin his new friendship, and Giles still doing his best to block those darker times from his mind.

Suddenly the graying man gave an exaggerated sigh. “It’s not bloody fair.”

Swing his head around Spike looked at his companion though alcohol glazed eyes. “What’s that then?”

“It’s not bloody fair,” he repeated. “She sent the prat on his way without even letting us know. Didn’t bother consulting us on what we wanted, did she? No, sir. Just a ‘bye Angel’ and ‘see you later Angel’. Doesn’t she realize we have needs too?” his rant gathered steam as he spoke.

Spike rubbed his chest absentmindedly, “Yeah, it does feel a bit empty, doesn’t it? Kinda like we’ve been cheated or something.”

“It’s not like this day is gonna last forever.” Giles stood up drunkenly, his accent turning rough and unpolished. “She could have at least let us have our fun while it lasted.”

“Too bloody right! Spoil sport is what she is.” The blond raised his glass in agreement before quickly swallowing the last of the liquor.

“You know what we should do?” Giles asked, waving his glass around excitedly, uncaring that he was sloshing the amber liquid as he moved. “We should go find him, end this day up right and proper.”

Spike eyed the drunken man warily. “You know slayer won’t let us do that.”

Giles leaned in to whisper to the vampire. “What the slayer don’t know won’t hurt her,” he slurred before breaking into giggles at the incredulous expression on the blonds face.

*****

Buffy sat at the table feeling sorry for herself as she watched her friends on the dance floor with their significant others. She glanced over at Jonathan and Andrew, who had turned out to be Tucker’s brother, trying to play pool but having trouble actually making any of the shots.

She should be out there having fun with her friends, but found herself miserable instead. She missed Spike and hated that he hadn’t joined them. She couldn’t help but feel that he wasn’t being completely honest in his excuses not to join them. She was sure that he was still rattled from the kissage the day before.

Was it really that bad? Did I have morning breath? she wondered silently, her mind constantly trying to find a reason for his freak out. It’s not like she wasn’t attractive, and she had gotten the impression more than once that he found her desirable. So what was the problem?

She made up her mind to talk to him when they went back to his crypt that night to sleep and this time he wouldn’t weasel out with lame-ass excuses.

Her friends crowded around the table, laughing and grabbing drinks to refresh their heated bodies, but she still had trouble settling into the joviality of the evening. Looking around the table, she wondered how her friends would feel if they knew that in a few hours they wouldn’t remember anything that happened tonight and that nothing they did would change that fact. She tried to shake off the gloom and doom thoughts as she sipped her drink.

The slayer listened halfheartedly to the conversation around her, wondering what Spike and her watcher were doing right then. Honestly she couldn’t imagine what they could be doing, what the two of them could find to talk about for hours at a time. The vampire had never really told her what the two had spent the day talking about when they had reached their agreement, other than the talk about Spike deciding to help them fight evil with them.

“Hey Buffy, you okay?” Jonathan’s voice startled her out of her musings to find several pairs of eyes looking at her in concern.

“Oh, I’m fine, just thinking. What were we talking about again?”

The worried expressions dimmed a little as the conversation resumed and she tried to participate, smile at the right times and laugh when it seemed appropriate, but her mind still wasn’t completely there.

She knew she should be making an effort with Jonathan or Tara to find out exactly what they needed to ‘fix’ for them to be able to move on, but just couldn‘t seem to make her mind concentrate on anything for too long as the night went on.

After a while Xander had decided to teach the other two boys what little he knew about playing pool, leaving the girls to chat alone. Anya adopted a bored expression as soon as her boyfriend left the table, while the witches threw each other bashful glances and tried to discuss some random lecture that had intrigued them in one of their classes together.

The swimmy feeling started gradually. She might not have realized it if Willow hadn’t reached out to steady her when she swayed a bit in her chair.

“Buff, you alright?”

“Yeah, I think it’s the mating, it’s all wonky or something. Hang on, let me see what Spike‘s doing,” she said closing her eyes to concentrate on her mate.

“Okay, that’s kinda freaky,” the redhead informed her friend.

Opening one eye the slayer smirked. “Yeah, tell me about it.” Closing her eye once more, she focused in on the vampire in question, trying to get a sense of what he might be doing and where.

All she got from him was more of the woozy feeling she had felt before. Finally giving up, she called out loudly in her head, ‘Hey Spike what are you doing?’

The car swerved when the voice registered in his head. ‘Bloody hell, pet. Don’t do that when a blokes driving!’ he cried out both in his mind and out loud, ignoring the watcher when he burst out in a fit of giggles.

‘Driving? Driving where?’ she asked confused.

‘Um, nowhere. Just out for a drive.’ His lie sounding hollow even in his own head.

She frowned when his inner voice sounded faded. 'Where are you? The matey thing sounds weird, like you’re in a tunnel or something?'

Spike‘s eyes widened when he realized she was already suspicious. 'Bloody hell, she knows we’re up to something.'

'Um, Spike? You remember that I can hear your thoughts right?'

He grumbled irritability. 'Glad one of us can, what with Chuckles the Laughing Boy next to me. I can barely hear my own thoughts.'

'You mean Giles? What’s Giles laughing-' she paused, her brain flashing back to the day before the spell and the fight with her friends. 'Oh my…are you guys drunk?'

'Yeah, but I’ll have to make a stop soon, I’m starting to sober up, but the watcher will probably be good to go for another hour or so,' he chuckled figuring the damage was already done.

'Where are you, Spike?' she demanded, ignoring the looks from her friends when she jumped up and began to pace around the table. She rolled her eyes as her mate continued to talk and think his speech at the same time.

'She wants to know where we are.' The slayer could hear the conspiratorial tone even through the bond. 'No, you can't talk to her! My head's not a bleedin' cell phone, you git.'

'The truth, Spike. Now!'

'Geeze, keep your knickers on, pet. We're headin' to LA, gonna visit Angel,' he bragged.

She would swear she could hear the snicker in his thoughts and rolled her eyes again. 'What are you guys, six?'

'Nope, just not gonna miss an opportunity while we have it.' He paused, obviously listening to the other occupant in the vehicle. 'Yeah, what the watcher said…we're exorcising our demons,' he told her smugly.

'Spike, so help me, you’d better have your undead ass back in Sunnydale before the day resets...with my watcher.'

Suddenly her head filled with hissing noises as she heard his final words, 'Sorry pet, you're breaking up. Have to call you back later.' His inebriated giggle echoed loud in her head as he cut off the bond.


*****

Two figures crept down the alley, stalking their prey through the night. Their stealth was inhibited by the excessive alcohol running it’s course through their bodies.

The vampire caught the watcher as he tripped over a small crate, his lax frame slow to right itself. "Bugger," Giles cursed drunkenly.

"Shh! He'll hear us," Spike hissed loudly. Grabbing Giles by the arm, he attempted to lead them through the alley, avoiding any hazards to his companion.

They rounded the corner in time to see Angel dust a vampire as a girl huddled terrified on the alley floor.

Spike could hear the distant throb of club music, realizing that the girl must have been lured outside for a late night snack. They watched from behind a dumpster as Angel comforted the frightened girl. Both snorted when they heard him lecture her about leaving with strange men she didn't know.

"Pillock," the blond spat in disgust. "It's bad enough to have to be saved by His Royal Blandness, but to have to suffer through a speech too? That's just not right." He reached out without looking, using one hand to steady the swaying man beside him as he continued to watch their target.

Spike rolled his eyes at the display in front of him. The whole scene reminded him too much of his failed attempt at getting the gem back from the broody vamp, but he chuckled when he remembered the mocking that had taken place on the rooftop. Some of my best work to date. He grinned at the memory.

He began to quote the lines to the watcher, smirking when the man snorted and choked in an effort to suppress his laughter.

"Helping those in need's my job, and working up a load of sexual tension, and prancing away like a magnificent poof is truly thanks enough!" he mimicked in a low voice before raising the pitch. "I understand. I have a nephew who is gay, so..." He paused dramatically before continuing in the low tone, "Say no more. Evil's still afoot and I'm almost out of that Nancy-boy hair gel I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away!"

Giles couldn't control his laughter any longer and they leaned into each other, both gasping for air through the hysterical giggling. Spike shoved the watcher back behind the dumpster when Angel whirled around. He rolled his eyes when the dark vampire told the girl to run home, before he started to walk cautiously back into the alley.

Spike grabbed the still snickering man by the elbow and stepped out from behind the dumpster. There was no way that he would let his poncy grandsire think he was hiding from him.

Smirking, he patted down his duster in search of a cigarette. "Hello, Angelus."

The brunette growled. "Spike. What the hell are you doing here...and Giles?" His expression turned confused when he spotted the other man.

"Hello, An-hic!-gelus," Giles acknowledged, trying to imitate Spike’s cool greeting. Unfortunately his snorts and giggles ruined the effect.

Angel frowned and turned to the blond. "What's wrong with him?"

The watcher snorted and rolled his eyes, unconsciously imitating his partner in crime. "Nothing's wrong with me, you wanker."

"Are you drunk?" The LA based vampire asked incredulously.

"And if I am?"

Shaking his head, Angel tried to make sense of the scene in front of him, "Does Buffy know you're here?"

Giles straightened his posture before replying haughtily, "I don't report to my slayer, my slayer reports to me."

The unusually silent vamp added, "actually, she does know."

The watcher spun to face his companion, stumbling a bit from his quick maneuver. "Bloody hell! When did that happen?"

"In the car, remember? The whole 'my head's not a cell phone' speech?" he reminded as he tapped his head mockingly.

"Oh, right. I forgot. Carry on."

"Carry on with what? Why are you here?" Angel broke into the discussion, his patience at an end.

The two conspirators glanced toward each other and brought their heads in to converse.

"So, what's the plan?" Giles asked, shooting Angel a wary look.

"Bloody hell I thought you had a plan!"

"Alright, I've got it." He paused dramatically. "Get 'im!"

"Bloody hell!"

The two rushed the startled vamp, causing him to stumble, his usual grace lost in the confusion. Arms flailing, he tumbled backwards under the force of both men colliding with him. They watched, disappointed when he crumbled to dust before either had a chance to reach for their stakes.

The blond slumped to the alley floor, staring at the dust coated crate that lay where the broody vamp had fallen, its broken slat pointed up toward the sky. He stared at the wooden box for a moment before breaking out into hysterical laughter.

"What's so bleedin' funny?" Giles growled. "The bastard practically dusted himself!"

Spike pointed to the crate, "Look. Only a couple more and we'll all have had a shot at the poofter."

The watcher bent to read the words. Shaking his head, he straightened with a glare. "I fail to see what you think is so humorous, Spike."

The blond pointed at the box once more, reading out loud, "Red Wolf Company. You know...Willow's wolf boy. Oh, come on! It's funny!"

Giles turned carefully before making his way haltingly out of the alley, calling out over his shoulder as he went, "Get your drunk ass up and drive me home."

*****

Buffy slowly descended the ladder to the lower level of the crypt. The night had been a big bust as far as she was concerned. First the Bronze was depressing because all her friends were coupled. Then, after leaving the club, she had gone to her watchers and waited for them to show back up from their LA expedition, only to give up after a couple of hours. They were so getting a talking too! she grumbled to herself.

She had felt Spike poking at her subconscious on the walk back to the crypt, but she had stubbornly blocked it, too upset to talk to him.

Kicking off her shoes, she crawled dejectedly into the bed. It seemed so much larger without her mate to cuddle with. She gathered his pillow to her chest and inhaling his scent as a tear rolled down her cheek, wishing she didn't feel so alone.

*****

Spike reached out to pull his mate close, instinctively craving her warmth, only to find her spot empty with the sheets rapidly cooling in her absence. He raised his head to search the dimly lit room.

He felt a bit guilty that he hadn't rushed back to Sunnydale like he could have, but knowing Buffy was already upset made him drag his feet even more. The last thing he remembered before the day reset was driving down the darkened highway, his companion snoring loudly beside him.

"Buffy?"

Her name echoed around the chamber and he knew he was alone.