Day 16

A soft swish of dust on the floor upstairs alerted the vampire to the presence of an intruder. A quick glace to the left confirmed that he had indeed woke up alone. Not even a trace of heat was present in the sheets as he reached for his jeans, tugging them on before making his way up the stairs to investigate. No way was the light movements Adam; the giant didn't have a subtle bone in his body.

Poking his head from the opening, he could see Willow moving around the crypt cautiously, looking as if she could jump out of her skin at any moment.

"You need something?"

She gave a high pitched squeal as she jumped, clutching her chest and trying to slow her heartbeat. "Oh, my goddess, don't scare me like that!"

"Sorry, Red. Figured you would know I was about, since it is my crypt."

"Well, yeah, but I expected to find you in the crypt, not under it. Giles called this morning and asked me to come over and tell you he needed you at his apartment as soon as possible. He wouldn't tell me what for, just said it was urgent," the redhead pouted.

"Right, I'm on my way."

Spike dropped back down to the lower level to finish dressing. He waited until he heard the young Wicca leave before taking off through the sewers, not wanting to take the chance of her still being around when Adam showed.

Careful not to breathe, he made his way down the dank tunnels, wondering what the watcher wanted that was so urgent. He tested out the mating link as he walked, finding it still muffled but not to the extent of the previous day. He backed off from the link slowly, not wanting to push any more, knowing that if Buffy was paying attention at all she would sense him poking about.

The manhole cover lifted off the ground enough for him to check for traffic before he leaped from the sewer exit and rushed toward the watchers apartment.

The door opened as he approached and he could only guess that Giles had been watching for his approach. Once he was inside, smoking blanket thrown aside, he faced the graying man. "What's up, Rupert?"

"A few things actually. Come in the kitchen while I finish the tea." The watcher turned away immediately, showing that the request wasn't up for debate. His tone had been stiff and detached and the vampire wondered if Buffy had been there already that morning crying on her father figures shoulder or if she was still lying where she woke with dreams of college boys dancing in her head.

Spike watched nervously as the other man went about readying a tray for the tea. The open, friendly atmosphere they had shared the last several days was gone; a cold and awkward air in its place.

Giles could tell that the vampire was nervous. Good, he thought wickedly. Keeping his companion off kilter would make his task that much easier.

The sound of wood slamming against the wall alerted the watcher to several things. First, his slayer had arrived. Second, she was in a foul mood. Third, he would probably need to see about getting a new door, and possibly some plaster for the wall.

Picking up the tray from the counter, he led the way out of the kitchen. "Hello, Buffy. You are aware that the door opens the same even when it's not thrown through a wall. It's actually been discovered that the doors close when not wrenched from the hinges."

"Sorry, Giles, it’s been a rough-" Buffy's speech halted when she saw the blond vampire in the kitchen doorway.

Their eyes meet for a moment before they both turned away. The slayers eyes moved about the room, looking everywhere but at Spike. Finally her questioning gaze settled on her watcher. "Um, I can come back later," she said backing towards the door.

"I don't bloody well think so. It took several calls and a locator spell to track you down this morning," Giles stated, removing his glasses as he continued to rant. "I have been doing extensive research the last few days while the two of you have been engaged in childish playground behavior. I believe I've discovered the prophecy in question, as well as another corresponding prophecy. So kindly sit down and shut up and listen to what I have to say."

"Sorry, Giles."

"Sorry, Watcher."

The watcher rolled his eyes as the two blonds moved into the living area, both hesitating to see where the other would sit before they finally settled as far away as they could manage in his small apartment.

"As I said, this behavior the two of you have displayed the last couple of days has been atrocious. I expected more out of a century old vampire and a slayer who has lived through more than any normal person her age. You're in college, for God's sake! Stop acting like a child," he exclaimed. Whirling on the vampire when he snickered behind him, he continued to castigate the pair. "And you! You're William the Bloody, and yet at the first sign of romantic interest- from the woman you are currently mated to I might add- you're shaking in your boots. What the hell is wrong with you two?"

The vamp jumped to his feet. "Hey, now! There's no shaking of boots here. I was just trying to keep from buggering everything up."

"Oh, well, you've done such a wonderful job of that!" Giles mocked. "What happened to you leaving here yesterday to talk and straighten everything out?"

Spike huffed indignantly before giving a heated glance toward Buffy, "That was before I found the slayer dirty dancing with a frat boy."

The slayer seemed to shrink under the scrutiny of the two men. "I just wanted to shake you up…make you realize how silly you were being."

The vampire shook his head in disbelief. "By dancing with the first little boy waiting to paw all over you?"

"Well, if you would have stuck around for more than five seconds, you would have seen me push him away!"

"Why were you dancing with him at all, then?" he cried out in frustration.

"I was trying to make you jealous, you moron!" she shouted back.

"That's enough!" came the shout from across the room. Neither had noticed the watcher moving toward the door. "I'm going out to get some headache medicine that I seem to have developed a desperate need for in the last ten minutes. I expect both you to work this out before I get back. If either of you attempt to leave before I return, please keep in mind that I will hunt you down, and that it's been proven the day will reset without either one of you," he threatened as he slammed out the door.

The silence stretched out, neither one moving or speaking, both at a loss as how to approach the other.

After a few minutes Buffy looked at the bleached blond apprehensively. "You don't think he would seriously hunt us down, do you?"

Spike was still staring at the closed door in disbelief. "Not too bloody sure of that, pet."

"Were you really coming to find me to talk it out?" she asked quietly.

The vamp's eyes swiveled from the door to his mate. "Well, yeah. Did you really push the college boy away?"

She blushed under his hopeful look. "Yeah. After you left there wasn't much point," she said wringing her hands nervously.

"So, you really were trying to make me jealous?" he asked his mouth tilting in a little grin.

"Of course. Hello? I've been trying to show you for days that I was interested, but you've been all with the denial and avoidance," she said, wrapping her arms around herself tightly. "That morning that we bumped heads, I was trying to kiss you. I thought I could say it better, you know, without the actual words."

Spike took her arm, gently leading her back to the couch. "We're a right pair aren't we, kitten?"

Buffy pouted. "That's what I've been trying to say all along."

Chuckling the vampire replied, "No. I meant that we've buggered this up good and proper."

"Oh, well, that too."

"So, that morning, when you grabbed...and you thought it was...you were trying to make the first move?" the vamp asked haltingly. He never would he have thought he would be having this conversation, especially not with Buffy.

She didn't think her face could get any more red than it was right then. "Um, yeah. Except that my plan seemed to work about as well as one of yours."

"I don't remember any of my plans including fondling private parts," he teased mercilessly.

"Well, they should have," she pouted again. "Then maybe we could have just skipped this part and went right to the good stuff."

"Yeah, or ended up with a stake to the heart."

"I wouldn't have...okay, maybe I would have, but you don't know that for sure."

"Right, ‘cause you were so keen to have me around that you would want me to just come right up and lay a big wet kiss on ya," he replied skeptically.

"Well, when you say it like that, it does sound kinda...unbelievable," she admitted.

The vampire snorted, "Yeah, but then this whole thing has been kinda unbelievable. Looping days, dream matings, and a scavenger hunt of emotional issues. Now the watcher says he's found the prophecy with a second prophecy attached."

Buffy leaned back against the couch, her gaze unfocused. "Oh, so that was the 'important discovery' he called about this morning. Wow. I mean; we knew there was a prophecy, but to actually find it puts it in a whole new light. Did he say what it said?" she asked looking back at her mate.

"Nope, was too busy giving us a lecture and then storming out."

"Oh, yeah. So about yesterday-" she broke off, not knowing what else to say.

Spike jumped up once again and began to pace, the emotional turmoil of the last few days rushing back to him. "God, pet. Seeing you with that other bloke…it drove me out of my mind, and that's not just the claim talking," he said, jabbing his finger at her. "I've never wanted to rip someone's head off so much...well except the Poof. And then, with you keeping me cut off from the claim all day…well, it hurt more than I like to admit." He sat back down, taking her hand in his and rubbing it gently. "I don't ever wanna be cut off from you again, kitten. It's bloody painful, is what it is."

"I'm sorry Spike," she said, tears pooling in her eyes. "I was just so upset. You kept pulling away and I was getting frustrated. I thought making you jealous might get a reaction. Obviously I got one, just not the one I was looking for."

"And just what was I supposed to do, pet? The boy was human, not like I could have gone up and punched him in a jealous fit, not without a migraine from hell, anyway."

"Oh, well I didn't intend for it to get that far. I just imagined you storming up and grabbing me and whisking me away. Pretty silly, huh?"

He reached out to brush away a tear that had escaped to run down her cheek. "Not silly, pet. I'm so sorry I ran, bloody insecure bastard that I am. Just so hard to believe that you could really feel something for me. I won't doubt it again; I promise. Please don't cry, pet," he begged as he continued to stroke her face with his thumb.

"Wh-what changed your mind? You said you were looking for me. Why did you change your mind last night?"

"The witches and I had a talk. I was trying to deny my own feelings so much that I didn't see things right in front of me. I was convinced that what I felt all stemmed from friendship and everything Dru's been doing, and that your feelings had to be the same."

"Idiot," her tone gentle and teasing.

He pulled her in closer. "Never said I was a big thinker, pet. More action than brains." He lowered his face to brush a light kiss against her lips, moving to deepen it when he heard her moan.

Suddenly he was pushed to the other end of the couch. "Bloody hell! What the hell was that for?"

"I haven't broken up with Riley yet," she replied sheepishly.

"What?" His eyes widened as he tried to work out her logic.

"Well, see, Willow said yesterday that if I don't break up with Riley first thing every day until the looping ends, then it's cheating."

"So we can't even have a cuddle until you break up with Cardboard? But we just got things straightened out; doesn't that merit one little kiss?"

"You know how it felt when you found Dru cheating. I don't want to do that to anyone, Spike. Even if it's Riley, who I seriously dislike right now."

"Well, then, hop to it. I just found out it's okay to want to snog you silly, I don't wanna waste a second of it."

"Shouldn't we wait for Giles to get back and find out about the prophecy first?"

"Wha? You spend weeks trying to get me-"

"It hasn't been weeks. More like days, and if I remember right you're the one that's been doing the running act. It won't kill you to wait."

"But that was before I knew you wanted me too. That changes everything."

"Spike it's only a couple of hours at the most. We can snuggle and 'snog' later and I hope that means kiss, ‘cause otherwise I'm getting some weird visuals."

"Come on, pet. Just one little kiss? No one would have to-" He cut off as the door opened enough to allow Giles to poke his head in. The vampire slumped in defeat and mumbled, "Bloody hell."

"Is it safe?" the watcher asked before sliding the rest of the way into the apartment.

"Yeah, Watcher. We stopped fighting when the coffee table broke," the vampire answered fighting to keep a straight face.

"What?" Giles stumbled quickly into the living looking for damages. Finding nothing damaged, he turned back around to face the smirking vampire. "Oh, very funny. So, is it safe to assume that you've reconciled your differences?"

"Yeah, Giles. We're good. All kissed and made up, without the actual kissing part." His slayer blushed.

The watcher raised an eyebrow in Spike's direction, receiving a shrug in return. "Don't look at me, Rupert. I was all for a quick snog."

"It's a thing,” Buffy explained. “A ‘break-up-with-your-boyfriend-first’ kinda thing."

"Ah, well then, perhaps we should take a look at the prophecy first and then you can proceed with your breakup and…make-out fest." Gathering around the dining table that had been research central he pointed to several passages, reading as he pointed each out.

"This is the first mention of two warriors mating. I translated it and found a reference to something I've never heard of, so I searched for it as well, and found another prophecy pertaining to that, which was much hard to decode. The first roughly reads-

“The warriors halt in time
to share blood of ancients
and they shall rise as one,
one force, one entity
they shall smite their enemy
bring balance where chaos reigns
evil shall tremble and the weak rejoice
and heaven shines on the tainted
with the cleansing brings shanshu."

Buffy frowned looking at the page. "The cleansing brings raw fish?"

"Shanshu, not sushi," Giles corrected, pointing at the translation. "I had never heard of anything like it, so I began to search for anything pertaining to this shanshu, and I found this," he added, handing her a book with a written translation as a bookmark. "The translation is very rough, and the book itself is a mere copy of a larger set of papers and documents called the Scrolls of Aberjian that date as far back as an ancient source called the Proto-Bantu. As best as I can decipher, it relates to a vampire. It…well, it's about a vampire with a soul...that is gifted with life."

"Oh, well, Angel should be happy. It's not like there's tons of vamps with so-" Her eyes widened when the words finally sank in. A vampire will a soul. "Oh, but you don't think...I mean; we don't even know if the old guy was telling the truth. What if he was full of crap?"

"Well maybe a return trip to LA is in order to see if the old man was 'full of crap'," the watcher ended with a sour look on his face.

"Huh? Oh yeah, we can do that, um, tomorrow. I have some breaking up and making up to do today. So, do you really think this could be for Spike?"

"Well, it seems to be the case, although- as with most prophecies- we can't be positive."

"Wow, Spikey, you could get to be a real boy," the slayer teased as she turned to face the unusually quiet vamp. "Are you okay?"

The face seemed even whiter than normal, his eyes round and disbelieving. "Yeah, just never thought about being human again. I'm not even sure I'd wanna be human again."

The slayer's eyes widened when she picked up on the fear and distress coming from her mate. "Oh, I didn't think of that. Well, if it's not something you want, then we'll change it. It's not the first prophecy we've been up against and changed."

He forced a smile. "You're right, pet. We'll figure it out when it comes around. No sense worrying about it 'til then."

"Are you sure you're alright? I was gonna go find Riley and do the breakup thing, but if you want me to stay-"

"No, that's okay. You go ahead. I'll just chat with the watcher for a bit." He rubbed his hands down her arms soothingly.

"Okay, I'll be back as soon as I can," she said, giving him a friendly kiss on the cheek before rushing out the door.

As soon as the door clicked behind the exiting slayer the two men shared a look.

"Should I break out the liquor?" the watcher asked. He could tell that the vampire was upset about something but unsure what.

"Nah, better not, mate. You and I tend to get in trouble when we get sloshed," he joked though his face still showed signs of tension.

Giles moved to the dining table and sat down, waiting until his companion to decided to speak. He smiled kindly when the vampire started to pace, seemingly arguing with himself about what to say.

"It's just that…when I was human...bloody hell, I'm just gonna say it! I was such a loser that I would have made Harris look like a babe magnet," he spoke so harshly that Giles lifted a brow in protest.

"I'm sure that's not quite true. We have a way of only seeing our faults, are you sure that's not the case here?"

The vampire stopped his pacing to stare the watcher, "Trust me, Watcher; I was a right ponce. A wimpy little fool with nothing on his brain but flowery prose and rushing home to his mum."

"That's all in the past. I'm having trouble seeing why this is troubling you now?"

Spike threw out his hands beseechingly for understanding, "What if I do turn human? What if I turn human and turn back into that insipid little twit?"

Understanding dawned on the watcher's face and he sat for a moment contemplating the vamps fears. "Well, look at the bright side, maybe it will happen to Angel."

The vampire snorted, "You're kidding right? A womanizing, stealing, boozing, lay about. You think that's a good idea?"

"Oh, good Lord, he gets worse?"

"Yeah. Look, when the slayer gets back, tell her I went to wait at the crypt. If I'm gonna brood, I'd rather it be in private," he muttered as the door closed behind him and he broke into a run for the sewer.

~*~*~

The slayer could feel the anxiety coming from her mate, but she had her own problems to deal with just then. She had been standing in the burnt out hallway for several minutes trying to work up the courage to do what she had came for. What she had to do. What she wanted to do. If only she could get her feet to move.

Come on Buffy. You can do this. Just think of it as a demon. The relationship is just a big, icky demon that needs to be gotten rid of, and if it ends badly he won't remember it tomorrow anyway. She squared her shoulders, eyes narrowed into a glare, she stepped through the doorway.

The startled soldier jumped to his feet. "Buffy, hey! I didn't know you were back yet."

"Oh, I just got back in this morning. Has Xander been by yet?"

"Huh? Oh, no, not yet. He's supposed to bring me some clothes though, so I can get my fatigues washed."

"Oh, good...I mean good that he's bringing you clothes." Or you know, not been by to run his mouth about my sex life, she thought sourly. Concentrate Buffy.

"So, how was LA?"

"Enlightening." She shrugged before wrapping her arms around herself in a defensive stance.

"Just enlightening?"

"Look, Riley, I didn't come here to talk about my trip. Some things have happened, in fact they've been happening, and I just need to work them out on my own for a while." She couldn't seem to bring her eyes up to look at him.

He looked confused for a moment as if trying to understand her words, "For how long of a while?"

"A long while," she almost whispered.

Suddenly he inhaled sharply as realization set in. "You're breaking up with me?"

"I wouldn't really call it-" Suck it up Summers, her inner voice sneered. You're the slayer, you can do this. "Yes, Riley. I think we should break up."

"Why? Was it something I did? After everything I just walked away from...and you wait until now to do this? What? Was this all some kind of game to you?"

"How could you even ask that? Of course not!" She couldn't believe he would even think that.

"Then what? ‘Cause I'm having a hard time understanding what's going on here."

"Things have changed for me. I've realized things about myself that I never even considered before. You were what I thought I needed to be normal, to have what everyone else has. But I figured something out; I'm not normal. I'll never be normal." She paused for a moment letting her words sink in. "And that's okay. I'm okay with it now. Normal passed me by the day I staked my first vamp. I know now that I could never settle for normal. I'm sorry."

"I thought what we had was special? And in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not exactly Joe Normal myself."

"I wanted it to be special Riley, but it just wasn't there for me, not like it was for you. And you'll find a girl, someone who needs a big strong guy to take care of her, and that you'll love to take care of, but it's just not me."

He grabbed her by the arms forcefully. "I'm not gonna let you throw us away."

Her eyes teared in sympathy for the upset man before she broke his hold, using a bit more force than necessary, hoping the show of strength would help him understand their differences more.

"Goodbye, Riley," she said as she turned away. Even with the ache of causing someone else pain, she felt lighter than she had in months.

She had just exited the decimated building when she met Xander carrying a backpack that she knew was stuffed with colorful clothes.

"Hey, Buffster, did you and Riley make with the big reunion?" the brunette asked, a big grin on his face.

"Not exactly, Xan. Riley and I...we broke up."

"Wha? Huh? Why?" His eyes widened in shock.

"He just wasn't the one, Xan, and I didn't want to string him along by letting him think he was. It wasn't fair to either of us," she explained trying to patient and remind herself that her friends hadn't been in on the last few weeks of changes.

"But things were so perfect. You guys were so good together. He was the great normal guy you've been looking for," he argued.

"Things really haven't been that perfect and I've may have been acting so happy to overcompensate for the big lack of happiness," Buffy admitted, hoping her friend would try to understand. "Normal just isn't what it's cracked up to be. I guess slayers and normal are just un-mixy."

"B-but you wanted normal. You said it yourself, like, a dozen times."

"Why would I want to settle for normal when I could have great...or extraordinary, why should I settle for less then that?" she said, fighting the tears that threatened. "Don't I deserve that in what's left of my short pathetic life while I wait for death to come pounding on my door?"

Xander shook his head, trying to figure out where this had all come from, "Is this about seeing Angel again?"

"God, no, it has nothing to do with Angel. Our reunion was not a happy one, and I can't see either one of us looking forward to spending much time around the other for quite a while."

"Look, Xan. I don't feel like rehashing the whole thing right now and I've got somewhere I really need to be. I'll talk to you later okay?"

Xander watched as she walked away wondering what exactly had happened in LA to make Buffy turn her whole life upside down in an instant. Long after she rounded the corner and he'd lost sight of her he stood there, trying to make sense of it all.

~*~*~

"I'm telling you, it's Angel! It has to be. She runs off to LA and comes back all, 'Normal is so overrated and slayers don't do normal'. He's filled her head with all his pitiful puppy dog pouty looks and oh-so-tortured soul act and messed with her mind."

"You really think this is about Angel?" the soldier asked, bewildered. He was still trying to figure out where things had gone wrong.

"Oh, I know it is! The big 'ol blood sucker just loves to play with her head, soul or no soul," Xander ranted, all the old wounds and hurt over Angels role in their lives coming back in a rush.

"Yeah, that's some curse he's got."

"One moment's happiness."

Riley jerked his head up to stare at the brunette. "What do you mean?"

"You know; it's his trigger. Angel's okay if he's mopey and sad and brooding, but if you give him even one second of pure, real pleasure-" Xander explained his hands moving in agitation as he talked.

"And that sets him off."

"Only in the big ol ‘kill your friends’ kind of way. And you know what makes Angel happiest? I'll give you a hint. It’s not crème brulee," he added derisively.

"Buffy," the AWOL soldier said before the picture he was being painted become clear and he added haltingly, "Sex with Buffy."

"She kind of left that part out, huh?"

"Yeah, she did. That explains a lot of things that I wish weren't explained. You don't think they-" he asked suddenly, he thoughts taking a new direction.

Xander reeled back in horror, "What? No! Of course not, cause then Angel would have went all Angelus, and trust me, Buffy would not do that."

"She did it once."

~*~*~


The slayer let herself into the crypt quietly. Thankfully, days of waking here had helped her to learn the layout and she navigated the poorly lit upper level with ease. Moving to the ladder, she could see the lights burning brightly below. She took a deep breath and released it before descending, unsure exactly what was going to happen next.

Turning slowly, she could see that he had tidied the place up a bit. Things had been picked up off the floor, dozens of candles were lit, and the bed was made. She was touched that he had made an effort to clean things up for her. The only thing missing was...Spike.

The sound of stone and metal scraping had her turning around quickly. The sight of her mate coming through the sewer entrance had her relaxing immediately. "There you are. I was wondering where you ran off to."

He held out a bag self-consciously. "Thought you might want something to eat. I figured it might have been a while since you ate."

"Oh, Chinese. Yum," she cried excitedly snatching the bag from his hand and spreading the cartons of food out onto the dresser. "I actually grabbed a muffin on the way to Giles' this morning, but that's been like...four hours ago.

"Try three," he grinned watching her dive into the food.

She blushed, halting the fork hovering in front of her, before she mumbled, "Slayer metabolism," and shoved the food into her mouth.

They ate slowly, teasing and offering bites to each other from the different cartons. It was all just so...normal, she thought. Thinking back to her conversation with Xander, she realized that this was normal for her, or as close as she was going to get. Sitting on the bed, eating Chinese food with her vampire boyfriend who was hopefully about to make with some serious lovin's. Yup, this was as close to normal as she wanted to be.

After the food finished and cleaned up, the slayer found herself nervous again. He sat on the bed beside her and at his whispered, ‘come here, pet’, she eagerly fell into his embrace.

Buffy hid her face in his shoulder as she confessed, "I-I'm not sure what to do."

He grinned as he brushed a kiss across her forehead, "Just do what feels good, sweets."

She leaned up to kiss him hesitantly. Their first non-spell, non-denial, and non-injury inducing kiss. And it was bliss. His lips were so soft, moving gently against hers.

Buffy trembled under the pressure of his kiss. His hands moved to her arms, caressing her skin. That's when she felt it…the slight tremor of his hands that let her know that he was as affected as she was.

She broke away to look into his blue eyes that gazed back at her with a wealth of emotion. Tenderness, excitement, fear, all held a place in his expressive features. She reached out to stroke his cheek with her fingertips, wanting to sooth his anxiety away even as she felt her own apprehension building. She wasn't very experienced in the art of seduction. What if I screw it all up?, she stressed silently.

Spike could feel her nervousness through the bond. Slowly now. Don't screw this up, he chanted to himself. He wanted so much to bury himself within her, to take her and claim her as his in all ways, not just from dream claims, but here…now…always. He had to remind himself that she had only known a few lovers, and what a sorry lot they were, too.

"Just take it easy, luv. We'll take it slow, only what you're comfortable with. We've got time enough for the rest later." His voice was warm and soothing as his hands rubbed teasingly along her shoulders. Sliding his hands down to her waist, he pulled her closer, needing to feel her against him.

Pressed against his hard chest, she sighed, her body melting into his. She was right where she wanted to be...finally. She moved tentatively, wetting her lips before exploring his jaw and throat with her tongue, feeling heat rush through her body when he moaned at the contact.

Emboldened, she moved herself to straddle his lap, grinning when he gasped as she settled her body tight against his. His hands slipped beneath her shirt and it was her turn to gasp for air when his cool fingers made contact with her overheated skin. Throwing her head back, she arched when he licked and sucked his way down her neck. "God pet, you're bloody gorgeous, you are."

She leaned back a bit, putting some space between them, and he wondered if he shouldn't have kept his mouth shut. He grinned when she reached for the hem of his shirt and hurriedly stripped it off, tossing it uncaringly across the room. With an impish smile and a few quick moves, her own top sailed after his.

Spike’s eyes drank her in, widening in appreciation as he got his first look at what lay beneath the fashionable clothing. Her pert breasts where encased in a lacy bra, and he couldn't help but hope that her knickers would match. Her hardened nipples strained against the fabric and he reached out to tease them lightly with his fingertips, fascinated as they tightened even more.

She reached behind her, and unfastened the clasp, her eyes never leaving his as the straps slid down her shoulders. Spike swallowed hard as the cups slipped a bit and she crossed her arms to remove the lace barrier completely.

At his first view of her luscious breasts, he couldn't control his desire any longer. Grasping her waist, he rolled until she was beneath him. Buffy pouted at the role reversal until his lips latched reverently onto one pink nipple and drew it into his mouth.

Her head pushed back into the pillows and she gasped as he worked his way down her body, stopping to dip his tongue into her bellybutton playfully. The button at her waist gave way and the zipper was lowered before she had a chance to react. Spike slid the jeans partially off her hips to expose the matching lace he had hoped for. His lustful eyes rose to clash with hers and he swore that if his heart wasn't already silent, it would have stopped at the sight of his nearly naked mate writhing in his bed.

Still, he paused, needing reassurance that this is what she wanted. "Buffy, are you sure, pet?"

She raised her head to give him an incredulous look. "What? Spike, if you stop now, I will stake you!"

He chuckled at her threat. "Always quick with the violence, aren't ya?"

Her jeans were gone in the blink of an eye, the heavy fabric replaced with his hands and lips, which seemed to be everywhere at once as he adulated her sensitized skin. His thumbs slipped under the straps of her tiny panties, pulling them down to bare her fully to his heated gaze. He growled softly, his voice just barely loud enough to hear, "Mine".

His possessive rumble reminded her of the erotic dream in which she had received her mating bite and caused a rush of excitement to shudder through her body. Buffy squirmed as his fingers skimmed over her mound, dipping skillfully into the moist folds down to graze her throbbing clit. A ragged moan tumbled from her lips and she arched pleadingly into his teasing strokes.

The panties gave way with a hard tug. Her faint cry of protest changed to one of pleasure the instant he lowered his head. Her eyes flew open wide as his tongue swept over her from bottom to top before swirling in lazy circles around her nubbin.

Buffy’s fingers clutched at the bedding as he changed his pace and angle, alternately sucking and nipping at her clit, his talented tongue dragging soft, needy cries from her throat.

Encouraged by her breathless moans, Spike slipped a finger inside her wet sheath. The heat was incredible; he had never felt anything like it before. He added a second digit, stroking rhythmically as his free hand slid over her flat stomach to hold down her bucking hips.

Her fingers tunneled deep into his hair as he buried his face in her throbbing center. When his fingers curled, reaching for that spongy center that was sure to send her over the edge, she could feel his touch through her entire body. Buffy came hard, screaming his name as her orgasm swept over her in a dizzying rush.

Buffy lay unmoving, the blissful sensations still humming through her body. Awareness slowly crept back in and she raised her head abruptly, staring down at the smirking vampire between her legs. "Oh, my God... no one's ever...and wow," she rambled. “But, you didn't...”

"Shh, pet. We've got the whole rest of the day," Spike said as he moved up her body, nipping and sucking as he went. And every day after.

~*~*~

Angel left the alley with a slight limp where he had been just a tad too slow to avoid the taser that had grazed his leg. He didn't understand why the solider came after him and he was in no shape to answer any questions now. He knew that Buffy would never have sent him, but he wondered if she might have said something to caused the boy to overreact.

Angel remembered him from the visit on Thanksgiving. His face had been etched in his thoughts since, haunting his dreams. No, not dreams, but nightmares; waking in cold sweats after visions of the boy and Buffy settled in a nice suburban home complete with picket fence. He tried to remind himself that the whole reason he left was to allow Buffy that type of life, but it still stung to know she had moved on.

He had sensed the bite right away, still unsure why it was there, but every time he tried to reason with the commando, he would rush him. The broody vamp had to fight the pull of the bite that was demanding retribution, calling him to drain the boy dry.

He paused at the first building, leaning against it heavily. He had planned to go to Sunnydale, to apologize for the harsh words that had been exchanged, but with the body of her boyfriend lying bloody and broken in the stench-filled alley, he didn't think that was such a good idea. He was sure that if the boy made it back to Sunnydale that he was in for another visit from a very pissed slayer. Maybe it would be better to lay low for a while.

He was tempted to walk away and not look back; knowing another creature of the night would come by and finish the job that he had started. They would be drawn there by the smell of freshly spilled blood and chances were the body might not even be recovered.

Sighing heavily he moved down the street to the payphone at the corner to place the anonymous 911 call. Sometimes being a champion and doing the right thing was a pain in the ass.

~*~*~

The two blonds snuggled together, wrapped tight in the cover and each others arms. Spike woke first, inhaling his mates scent deep before nuzzling her neck tenderly.

"Hmm, lips of Spike," she murmured happily, almost giddy at finding herself waking to the delicious sensations. Awareness set in and she pushed him away quickly, not realizing how close to the edge of the bed they were. She cringed when she heard his yelp as he landed hard on the floor.

"Bloody hell! What the kind of good morning was that?" Spike groused glaring over the side of the bed at her.

"No kissing. No making out until I break up with Riley first."

“But pet, you broke up with him yesterday," the vamp whined.

"It's the right thing to do, Spike," she said as she got out of the bed.

"Right for who? Not for me. I'm evil. I don't mind a bit of pre-breakup snogging. Really!" he tried to convince her as she started up the ladder.