Day 17

The two blonds snuggled together wrapped tight in the cover and each others arms. Spike woke first, inhaling his mates scent deep before nuzzling her neck tenderly.

"Hmm, lips of Spike," she murmured happily. Almost giddy finding herself waking to the delicious sensations. Realization set in and she pushed him away quickly, not knowing how close to the edge of the bed they were, cringing when she heard his yelp when he landed hard on the floor.

"What the bloody hell kind of good morning was that?" Spike groused glaring over the side of the bed at her.

"No kissing, no making out until I break up with Riley first."

But pet you broke up with him yesterday," the vamp whined.

"It's the right thing to do, Spike," she said as she got out of the bed.

"Right for who? Not for me. I'm evil. I don't mind a bit of pre-breakup snogging. Really!" he tried to convince her as she started up the ladder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike glanced over at Buffy, who sat on her side of the Desoto chewing her lip. He could tell she'd been highly distracted since she got back from her breakup talk with Captain Cardboard. Spike knew he could have invaded her mind to find out why, but he didn't think she'd be too happy if he did that, and he didn't want to spend the day with a brassed off Slayer.

"Pet, tell me what's got you in a lather?"

"Uh, what?" Buffy turned to stare at the vampire. She then realized what he had said. "Oh, Riley was acting odd this morning."

"You mean odder than usual, Slayer?" Spike chuckled when Buffy grimaced at him.

"Well, odd for Riley, anyway," Buffy muttered. "He was sweaty, paranoid, and kept rubbing his neck." She scrunched her forehead in thought. "Giles mentioned that Riley had run-in with Angel the day you were dusted. You don't think...?" Buffy rubbed the marks on her own neck that were tingling ferociously.

"Yeah, it's possible." Spike rubbed his own neck. "There are bites beyond the feeding/siring bites and the mating bite. Ones that either the wankers don't know about or are unwillin' to write down."

"What kind?" Buffy felt like she should be taking notes for Giles, and she giggled at the thought. She covered her mouth as she waved Spike on.

"Tell me the difference between the feedin' and the mating bite, Slayer."

"Um, during the bites in the dream, there were certain words we both said. 'Mine' and 'yours'." Buffy searched her memories carefully. "Feeding is just chowing down, right?"

"Yeah, that's right." Spike pulled up to the curb in front of Pete's shop. "The words are important. That and the blood exchange are very important. It's always got to be the blood." He grabbed the blanket from the back seat.

"Are we friends, Spike?" Buffy looked down at her hands. She laced her fingers together in an attempt to keep them still.

"Of course, pet. Why do you ask?" Spike turned to look at his mate. He could feel the worry pouring through the claim. He hoped that she hadn't suddenly decided to change her mind about their relationship, especially now that he'd accepted his feeling towards her.

"Because you said Angel and I could never be friends. That we'd kill each other first." Buffy chuckled in memory. "I broke up with him that day, you know. Then the relationship did the slow dance to the death for another six months until he told me right before the prom that we were a freak show. He left right after we took care of the Mayor's Ascension."

"'ve heard tales of that one."

"Yep, he turned into a big snake, ate Principal Snyder, and I blew up the high school," Buffy muttered. "All in a day's work for a slayer."

"Now, back to your question, luv." Spike slid across the seat towards Buffy and pulled her into his arms. Once her head was tucked under his chin he whispered, "'M not sure Peaches will ever be anyone's friend. Liam was a user, Angelus was a manipulator, and from what I've seen Angel uses both to his best advantage, all the while making the rest of you feel sorry for him."

"But..."

"Slayer, Angelus talked, and he wasn't at all kind." Spike tightened his grip on his mate. "He played on your youthful romanticism by being the tall and dark and popping up every once in a while with the cryptic messages. He made himself purposely forbidden to you, knowing you wouldn't resist. He joked at how easily you fell for his whole routine."

"Angelus is an asshole," Buffy grumbled. "If I could stake him without killing Angel, I would." When Spike flinched, Buffy leaned back to stare at his face. "Now I didn't say that about you! So, whatever you're thinking, you can unthink it right now."

"I-I wasn't thinking anything," Spike protested.

"I saw you flinch and I can feel it through the claim, Spike. So, don't be going all denial boy on me." Buffy pressed her face back into his neck, and blew air across her mark on his skin. She was pleased when he shivered in pleasure. "I've thought a great many nasty things about you over the years, but I've never thought of you as anything like Angelus, even when you were evil."

"What do you mean 'when I was evil'?" Spike grumbled indignantly. "I'm just as evil as I ever was."

"Are you still planning on me being your third Slayer?"

"What? Hell, no," Spike exclaimed in horror. Then his facial expression turned to a smirking leer. "You're my one and only slayer now, luv."

"And don't you forget it, buster," Buffy snarked. "Now get your blanket and I'll go hold the door open for you." She carefully hopped out of the Desoto to run to the front door of Pete's shop. Like their previous visit, she held the door open until her vampire had leaped from the car covered with his blanket.

"Ah, back so soon," Pete announced. He chuckled when the Slayer and her vampire whirled to stare at him. "My, my, you both are looking as lovely as ever." He took a puff off his pipe.

"So, you remember us, then?" Spike decided to play it cool, but the dreamy look on the gnomes face made the vampire wonder what he was smoking.

"Of course, I do." Pete harumphed. "Did you think I would allow such knowledge to disappear after I met you the first time? What kind of Mage do you take me for, Lord Jamison?"

"I told you before the name's Spike," the vampire growled. He could feel Buffy's interest in why the Mage continued to call him by that soddin' title.

"Okay, hold on there." Buffy put her fists on her hips. "What the hell is all this Lord Jamison crap?" She pressed lips while she eyed Spike.

"Not now, luv. Later in the car I'll tell you everything." Spike hoped he could put off the Slayer's sudden interest in his human days. He was a bit scared that if she found out he was a poetry-loving ponce she'd laugh herself to death.

"No, now! Quit stalling!"

"You're gonna be a bloody nag until I tell you, aren't you?" Spike huffed. "William was a wanker with just enough money to be independent, but not enough to be taken seriously. His father was the Lord of Chesterfield, making William Lord Jamison. When I died, the title jumped to an obscure line of cousins by the last name of Cuthbert."

"Now that you got that fine explanation out of the way, may inquire why you visited me again?" Pete asked. He waved away the smoke that curled up into his face.

"Um, yeah, we found this prophecy thingie." Buffy pulled out the piece of paper that Giles had given her with the translation on it and handed it to Pete.

Pete opened the folded piece of paper. "Hmmm, yes. Interesting. Very interesting. I may know something about this prophecy of yours. A rumor I've heard lately from the heart of the Wolf, the Ram and the Hart." He jumped to his feet and carefully skirted the items on the countertop as he made his way to the telephone. Pete waved Spike and Buffy towards the table and chairs that they'd sat during their first visit. Much to the surprise of both Spike and Buffy, when Pete got off the phone, he levitated himself to a chair next to them at the table.

"Um, wow. That's a neat trick," Buffy blurted out.

"I don't do tricks. I bend the laws of nature to my will. You will find that everything can bend. The key is not bending it so much it breaks." Pete settled in his chair.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything bad. It's just that Willow is still working on levitating a fork." Buffy felt bad about what she had said before. It seemed like every time she came to this store she managed to put her foot in her mouth.

"It's alright my dear. As the slayer, you face many black and white situations. The shades of grey are hard to see, but you will learn in time. I'm sure your mate will help you with that." The old man smirked kindly and turned his attention to Spike. "Now to the matter at hand, this prophecy of yours....I'm sure it is you that is described in the text."

"Bugger," the blond vampire spat out, throwing himself back into the chair. He crossed his arms in front of him and a decidedly childish pout crossed his face.

The old man chuckled at the vamp's antics. "I take it that you were hoping for a different answer?"

"Bloody right. What if I don't wanna be human again? Let the poofter be human. Some old bloke gets a wild hair a millenium ago and suddenly I lose my right to choose?"

"There are always choices, Lord Jamison. Sometimes, it feels it's out of our hands." Pete settled into his chair. "Take Miss Summers here. If she had decided to turn her back on her calling when Miss Kendra showed up, where do you think we'd be right now?"

"We'd all be in whatever hell Acathla would have spewed forth," Spike said sarcastically. "Although I'm sure I would've tracked Buffy down and dragged her back kicking and screaming to do her duty."

"Anytime you think you're big enough," Buffy teased playfully. Under the table, she used one finger to draw random patterns on his thigh, and she was delighted when she saw him shiver with desire.

"Oh, I'm big enough and bad enough, pet. Don't you forget it."

The old man took in the sight of the two great powers in front of him teasing each other, the innuendo's flying, "Ahh, to be young and in love."

"I'll have you know that I'm 151 years old, Mate. Not exactly a spring chicken," Spike growled indignantly while Buffy blushed profusely. They hadn't said the words yet, even though they were both having intense feelings of said emotion.

"A drop in the bucket for an old timer like myself, lad," Pete said. "Now, I've seen many, many things in the millennia that stretch behind me, but I've never seen a vampire acquire his soul willingly. Angelus isn't the first cursed vampire; he's just the only one not to dust himself come the next sunrise." The gnome tutted at this.

"So, Angel's not as unique as he likes to think?" Buffy asked.

"He always was a Wendy Whiner," Spike muttered.

"Shouldn't that be Wayne Whiner?" Buffy spluttered with laughter. When Spike curled his tongue behind his teeth and arched his eyebrow at her, she playfully smacked him on the shoulder.

Pete chuckled at the antics of the vampire and his slayer. It had been many a season since he'd been in the presence of such radiant love and affection. It surely reminded him of when he and his Junia had been younger. Pete cleared his throat to get Spike and Buffy's attention before he continued on about the prophecy.

"When the Shanshu prophecy was first foretold, there was a great debate as to its exact meaning," Pete said. "In rare instances, not only does the word shanshu mean life and death, it can also mean birth."

"Birth?" Buffy blanched. "I don't think I'm ready for babies any more than Spike is eager to be human."

"Choices, my dear." Pete patted Buffy's hand. "Remember; there are always choices. It may be many long years before you have to deal with this. You think you know what's to come, but there are always choices, Slayer."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After leaving Pete, Spike and Buffy found a hotel with an underground parking garage. They spent the day held up in the honeymoon suite ordering food from room service and testing out the hot tub. When night finally fell, they fell into the big, soft bed, tired from all their love play. The vampire and the Slayer curled up together like two lovebirds in a nest.

The next morning, Spike cuddled up behind his sleepy mate. His hand crept up under her shirt to caress her lace covered breast. He teased the nipple into hardness, making Buffy arch her head back against him in pleasure. Spike was quite pleased with the small moan that slipped from between her lips.

"Stop that, Spike," Buffy groaned. "I have to break up with Riley first."

Spike blew cool air across the bite mark on the Slayer's neck. "Well you'd better hurry up, luv, before I rip your knickers down and have my wicked way with you."