Day 19 Part A


Spike cuddled into his still slumbering mate, allowing her scent to permeate his senses. Smother him. The part of himself that he’d struggled to hide from her was rearing its ugly head and now – while she slept- he gave it some freedom.

His fear.

William the Bloody, Spike, Slayer of slayers, what ever moniker he wore, it didn’t matter. The Big Bad was scared out of his bleedin’ mind that when this was over, when everything had been said and done, he would lose the girl. He always did.

This time it would bring about his final death.

‘Not this time, blondie,’ Buffy’s voice reverberated fiercely through his mind.

Turning over, she smiled up at him. “You’re mine and I’m definitely yours, spell or no spell. But if you don’t stop with the brooding I’m gonna kick your ass. If I wanted an Angel clone I’d still be dating Riley.”

Lifting her head she gently brushed her lips with his.

“Technically, pet, you are still dating Cardboard.”

"Eck!" she screeched as she threw herself backwards away from her mate. Her feet tangled with the covers and she slid down the side of the bed ending with a thump on the floor. Huffing she threw her arms up on the side of the bed and glared at the smirking vampire. "You did that on purpose."

Spike adopted his best innocent expression. "Who me?"

The slayer growled deeply. "Yes, you! You are so evil!"

He quickly broke into a wide grin. "But baby, that's what I've been trying to tell you all along."

"You so suck!" she muttered untangling herself from the sheets.

"Not right now, but after you break up with Captain America- and if you ask very nicely- I might," he suggested with a wiggle of eyebrows.

Buffy felt herself burning from both excitement and embarrassment by his lust enducing remarks. She ducked her head as she concentrated on her dream from the bite manifestation, sending a few of the more erotic images into his head. Her fondling his cock while she forced him to meet her gaze. Her mouth on him, bringing him to release as he roared her name. The ecstasy she felt when his fangs pierced her skin and he claimed her as his own.

Spike gasped as the visions flooded his head. "Buffy," he panted raggedly. "What the hell was that?"

"That was us, in my dream. You know the bitey dream. It's what I h-hope we'll have time to make reality once all this is over."

He stepped toward her, wanting nothing more than to throw her back into the bed and not let her out for a week...maybe two.

She raised her hand and signaled for him to stop where he was, lifted her eyes to meet his and whispered, "Soon." Her eyes conveyed her heartfelt emotions, not hiding anything from him. "We have lots of work to do today, but as soon as this is all over, we are definitely making some ‘us’ time...alone...possibly in a Jacuzzi," she promised. Smiling shyly she added, "There could be some kind of oil involved."

"You're really not helping with the 'waiting' part, pet," Spike whined.

Blushing furiously, she backed toward the ladder and away from the frustrated vampire. "Sorry. You get the disks and then I'll meet you at Giles. That should give me enough time to talk to Willow."

Buffy stopped after climbing up a couple of rungs and turned back to see her mate beginning to dress. "I love you," she said softly. Her eyes filled with tears at finally being able to say the words to someone and know she meant them with her whole heart.

"Love you too, pet. Now get going, before I decide to carry you back to bed and say to hell with the plan," he threatened, laughing when she squeaked and rushed up the remaining steps.

~*~*~

Giles paced the apartment as he waited for his slayer to arrive. He had already placed the call to Willow, asking her to come and assist them that morning providing Spike could retrieve the disks as planned. Running through the items that needed accomplishing over and over in his mind, he worried that they might inadvertently miss something vital to ending the spell.

He stopped when he heard the light knock on the front door. Knowing it wasn't Buffy, he went to let the young witch in. "Good morning, Willow. Thank you for coming. We have many things to cover today," he said as he ushered her over to the couch.

"You know me, Giles, anything to help," the redhead assured him eyeing the plate on the coffee table. "Oh. Cookies!"

"Yes, please help yourself. This will be quite a long story my dear, but I feel I need to start at the beginning. See, there was a spell..."

~*~*~

"Hey Giles, I'm here.” Buffy slipped into her watchers apartment, not seeing her friend sitting on the couch, tear stains on her checks. Oh, hey Wills, what's wrong?"

"Oh, Buffy! I'm so sorry! With the spell...and the mate-y...and the day from hell times infinity," Willow blubbered, certain that her friend would hate her. Giles quietly moved into the kitchen to give the two girls a bit of privacy.

"Its okay, Wills. Some really good things have happened- and of course some not so good things- but that's okay, ‘cause it helped me figure out what the good things were as opposed to the bad things that I thought were good, you know?" Buffy babbled trying to comfort her friend.

The Wicca’s eyes widened as she tried to follow the logic train, feeling that she got left a few stations back. "Um, okay," she answered weakly.

Buffy blushed deeply. "So, I guess Giles filled you in on everything, huh?"

"You mean about you and Spike and the biting and the claiming and the naughty dreams? No, fill me in again."

"Naughty? Who said they were naughty?"

"Um, Giles said that Spike woke up excited, and then he did that blushy-stammer thing he does when he gets embarrassed and I just guessed. Plus, I think by the major blush you've got going that I'm a pretty good guesser," the redhead grinned evilly.

"Oh you mean the one he does when I say the word stevedore?" Buffy said. She made sure to emphasize the last word so that it would carry into the kitchen where her watcher was hiding.

Giles shuffled into the room, his face an interesting shade of purple. "I believe it's time for me to head out and do my errands for the day. Buffy can fill you in further about what needs to be done, Willow," he rushed out, keeping his head down as he gathered his things. He exited the apartment, grabbing the tranquilizer gun propped up on the wall and shutting the door quickly behind him.

The girls burst into hysterical laughter. Willow wiped the tears from her face and regarded the slayer. "So, you and Spike, huh? Gotta say; I didn't see that one coming."

"You and me both, but it’s so good, Wills. I mean, really good," the blond gushed.

"Oh, wow. I so want to hear about it. Well, not the really good parts, just the semi-good ones, ‘cause eww! But it probably needs to wait until later. Giles says we're on a tight deadline and what's the point of good girly gossip if I can't remember it? That takes all the fun out of teasing you with it later." Willow smirked as she moved to the dining table that Giles was using for research.

Buffy grabbed a pen and some paper from the table and started making notes about what needed to happen that day. "Oh, and we'll need Tara to help with a spell if you wouldn’t mind calling her."

"T-Tara? You want her here?" the Wicca asked uncertainly. This was the first time one of her friends had actually included her new girlfriend.

"Well, yeah, she's one of the gang isn't she?"

"She is?" the shocked girl squeaked.

"Of course she is! Tara's been helping out a lot, and we've spent some time together the last few weeks. She's really great, Will. You're lucky to have found each other."

"Yeah, we just fit, you know? Things are just so much better when she's around," Willow sighed happily. "And congratulations to you and Spike, too. I mean, with you and Spike being a couple.” She paused and made a cute face. “Boy, that just sounds weird no matter how I say it."

The blond laughed. "It was really weird for me, too…at first. And, of course, Spike was dragging his feet, but you know how I am when I get determined. One way or the other, I make it happen... usually after suffering some kind of humiliating defeat, but it usually ends well," she added cheerfully.

Buffy felt her bite marks tingle pleasantly, letting her know that at least one of the factors was well on its way to being fixed, and continued to chat and laugh with her friend.

~*~*~

Spike paced the crypt, waiting for Adam. He knew the overgrown jigsaw puzzle was due to show at any time, but patience just wasn't his thing. He just wanted to get the disks and get the day over with, hopefully permanently.

The sound of heavy footfalls alerted him to Adam's arrival. He thanked whoever would listen that vampires didn't sweat, because he was extremely nervous. He wasn't bothered so much about being dusted, since it had been proven that he would just come back the next day, but he hated the idea that they would have to start over from scratch the next day if that happened.

"Vampire, I have a proposition for you," Adam's voice echoed in the sparse crypt.

Spike sprawled in his chair, his expression one of feigned calm. "I'm all ears."


~*~*~

Giles entered the magic shop looking for the young boy that his slayer had saved on more than one occasion. Spotting him at the back table, he made his way through the displays of scented candles and herbs. Jonathan was talking excitedly with another boy who seemed familiar. Giles decided he must be Andrew, the other boy that he had asked Jonathan to invite when he had called the shop that morning. When he was close enough to hear their words, he smirked in amusement.

“I told you; I don’t know what he wants!” the brunette fumed.

The taller boy fidgeted nervously. “But it’s weird, right? That he just called out of the blue like that?”

“Well, yeah, other than the spell I did to make me popular, I haven’t seen any of them since they blew up the high school.”

“Excuse me,” Giles interrupted their arguing. He had to hide his amusement when both boys whirled around, looking like children that had been caught with their hands in the cookie jar. “Jonathan, isn’t it? And you must be Andrew.”

The smaller boy swallowed fearfully. “Hi, Mr. Giles. If this is about those overdue books, I returned them just before graduation.”

“Yeah, and I paid all my late fees. I have the receipts at home,” Andrew added timidly, moving to stand behind his friend.

“Actually, I’ve been asked to seek you out to ask for your assistance. Jonathan, I know that you’re aware that Buffy Summers is…ah, well, she’s…not your average girl. Strange things happen sometimes when she’s around or she shows up to help people in need,” the watcher struggled to explain, mentally cursing his slayer. It had been her decision that this was a perfect job for him to do.

Taking a clean handkerchief from his pocket, he began to clean his glasses as he tried to gather his thoughts. “You see, Buffy is what we call a-a vampire slayer,” he continued. “She helps people in need and fights the vampires and other demons that threaten the general population.”

“That’s so cool!” Andrew gushed. “She’s like…Wonder Woman without the neat, form fitting bustier. O-or She-Ra; Princess Adora by day and Princess of Power by night.” His eyes glazed as his imagination took over. “Does she have a battle cry?”

Giles stared open-mouthed at the strange boy in front of him. “A b-battle cry?”

“Yeah, like, ‘For the honor of Grayskull...I am She-Ra!’” he cried out, holding his arm high and brandishing an imaginary sword in the air.

The watcher flushed red when the few other patrons in the shop turned to stare in their direction. “Yes, well…no, unfortunately, the slayer doesn't have a battle cry.” Giles brightened visibly. “But she does witty quips and puns quite well.”

“You are such a dork, Andrew! She-Ra is so old; that’s like grade school stuff,” Jonathan scoffed and rolled his eyes at his friend.

Andrew gasped in outrage. “You take that back! And just think about it; superhuman strength and stamina in addition to being very athletic and agile, strong-willed, but with a kind streak. Sound like anyone we know?” he asked smugly. Turning back to the flabbergasted watcher, he demanded excitedly, “She doesn’t have the mystical healing touch and the ability to telepathically communicate with animals, does she?”

“Er, not that I'm aware of, no,” Giles said haughtily. He shook his head, wondering again why Buffy thought this was a good solution to the Warren problem. Motioning for them to join him at the table, he sat and tried to think of an easier way to explain what he was proposing.

“Buffy asked me to meet with you. She is planning for a major battle and needs your…expertise,” he said forcing the last word out of his mouth. “She has a team that assists her with her fight, and she would like you two to be a part of it. Not with the actual fighting, of course, but helping in certain areas that you are both knowledgeable in.” He paused, waiting for the information to sink in.

“When you say team, you mean Xander and Willow right?” the brunette asked guardedly.

“Among others, yes. I am her watcher and Willow is a practicing witch. She has a companion who is also a witch, and both are very useful with any magical needs that we have. Xander has been helping since high school, as you’re both aware, and his girlfriend Anya is an ex-vengeance demon who is very knowledgeable about all things demonic. Then there is Spike, who is a vampire and also Buffy’s mate. He has recently begun to help in the fighting and is very involved in the planning of the upcoming battle. He is no longer feeds on human’s,” he rushed to assure the two shocked boys.

“So, a vampire slayer is working with a vampire? Isn’t that kind of…wrong?” Jonathan asked. “I mean, isn’t she supposed to like, slay him or something?”

“Star crossed lovers,” Andrew gushed breathlessly. “That’s so romantic.”

The watcher resisted the urge to slam his head on the table and settled for massaging his temples where the majority of his pain seemed to be originating. “Yes. Well, Spike is an exception to that rule. It has recently come to light that his soul might have been rejoined with his body, but we still have more research to do before we can say for certain.”

The brunette sat taking in the conversation quietly but Giles could see that the other boy was growing more excited by the new information.

Andrew turned to his friend. "The Vampyr Slayer and her Vampyr companion need us. That's so cool!" he exclaimed.

Jonathan bit his lip before asking, “What exactly do they want us to do?”

"We know that you are both very intelligent, and both of you have had experience with demons-."

“You heard about my flying monkeys?” the younger boy cried out in awe.

“W-what?” Giles stuttered.

Andrew blushed brightly, “Oh, never mind.”

“Jonathan the spell that you managed to cast that shifted reality was very dangerous, but we couldn’t help but be impressed. A spell of that magnitude must of have required a great deal of ingenuity and skill. We were hoping you might be able to help us control some of the more troublesome demons while we try to take out our main opponent. So what do you boys think? Will you help us?” Giles asked pleadingly, swallowing back the nausea generated by the thought of having to work closely with the bouncing boy seated to his right.

“Well, we’ve got this friend named Warren that we’ve been hanging out with. He’s got all these neat plans and gadgets that he wants us to help him work on,” Jonathan said hesitantly.

Andrew latched onto the new thread of conversation quickly. “But he's kinda bossy. He’s like the Reed Richards to our Fantastic Four but with only the three of us. He's got this girlfriend, April. She's awesome. She's like Sue to his Reed. The great beauty attracted to his intellect as well as his body," Andrew sighed wistfully.

“Warren is kinda mean sometimes and he only comes around when he wants something,” Jonathan said looking at his friend.

“And he’s stingy with his action figures,” Andrew added pouting.

Giles tried to think of a way to get the boys to decide quickly. Choosing his words carefully, he gritted his teeth and asked, “So, what do you say, boys? Do you want to…join with us in the fight against the forces of darkness?" He closed his eyes, his humiliation complete. He just hoped no one had been close enough to hear his question.

The two boys looked at each other for a moment, one uncertain gaze clashing with an overly excited look. They turned as one to look at the graying watcher.

“We’re in,” Jonathan said quietly.

“Bring on the creatures of the night!” Andrew cried bouncing in his seat once again.

The world is doomed, Giles thought bleakly.