Epilogue

It was three nights later when Riley finally showed up at the Summers home. He wanted to apologized for not helping with Adam. He had heard from the other officers how the Scoobs had fought and won, saving many of the scientists and military personnel along the way.

"I'm really sorry Buffy. I wish that I had been there to help. I just had a lot going on. It was just hard to digest it all in less than a days time. The fact that Maggie put a chip in me, all the changes in the group...you dumping me," he added bitterly.

Buffy ignored the last comment, trying to avoid a useless argument. "I understand, Riley. We didn't have any trouble going in, and we kicked ass, so it all turned out fine."

Riley could see from his vantage point in the front doorway as Spike walked casually through from the kitchen to the living room. "What's he doing here?" he snarled.

The slayer rolled her eyes, "I told you, Riley. Spike's one of us now."

"Yeah, but what's he doing here? In your house?" he asked, his face turning an unbecoming shade of red.

Buffy sighed. "Look Riley, I didn't want to do this but...Spike and I? We're together now."

"Boy, I sure didn't take you long to replace me did it? And with a vampire of all things"

She could feel Spike in the next room, his anger almost tangible. She was proud of him for letting her handle this though. Buffy felt her mate calming down and knew the witches must be comforting him. He's such a sympathy whore. She could just imagine him soaking up every bit of attention from the two women.

"Spike is not a thing and you need to think carefully before you say anything else," she warned.

Her tone was casual but he could sense the anger behind her words. "I'm sorry; I didn't come here for this."

"Then why did you come here?" she asked.

"I'm leaving. The Initiative is allowing me a free pass back in considering the circumstances that I left in. My ride leaves out tomorrow at 2100 hours. I just thought that maybe you would want to say goodbye, unless I had a reason to stay, which I can see that I don't," he added. He raised his hand to scratch nervously at the bite marks on his neck, his gaze moving up and down the block as if waiting for someone or something to suddenly leap out at him.

"Are you alright, Riley? You seem really distracted."

"What? Oh yeah. I've just been having a lot of trouble with vamps the last few days. They seem to have it in for me. It's probably a good thing I'm leaving the Hellmouth."

"So where do you take off from? I don't mind coming to see you off, and I'm sure Xander would like to say goodbye, too."

"Um, the park down the street from Giles' actually. It's usually deserted that time of night and would be better than the middle of campus."

"Yeah, have to keep that super-secret organization secret," she joked.

"Yeah, so you'll come?" he asked sounding sad and a bit pathetic in his need for someone to see him off.

"Yeah, we'll be there."

They said their goodbyes and Buffy closed the door gently. Seeing Riley once again, she felt satisfied and confident that she had made the right choice.

~~~

The next night a small group gathered along the sidewalk at the edge of the park. Buffy, Willow, Tara, Xander, and Anya had come to say to see the soldier off. Goodbyes were said and hugs given. Xander and Riley chatted a bit as they waited for the helicopter to arrive.

Spike and Giles had decided it was better to wait at the watcher’s flat. Spike because he didn't want to upset Buffy with more of the 'evil vampire' talk, and Giles had no desire to say goodbye to the pillock.

The others might not know or remember the hurtful, nasty things that the solider had said to Buffy, but he had not. He knew Spike hadn't forgotten, but was holding back because of his feelings for Buffy. Giles had to commend him for his control, especially with the chip out. He was surprised that Spike had been able to resist the call of the bite Angel had placed on the boy. The watcher wasn't sure that he would have been able too.

Soon the vampire had gotten restless, jumping up and stating that he would meet the group on the walk back and heading for the door, the sound of Giles' chuckles following in his wake.

Spike arrived at the corner just in time to see the helicopter taking off, Captain Cardboard leaning out the door slightly to wave goodbye. The vampire slipped up behind his mate, sliding a possessive arm around her, purring contently as she leaned back and rested her head on his shoulder. He smirked up at the soldier who had stopped waving and was now throwing him a hate filled glare.

Spike saluted mockingly before turning to see Tara grinning at his antics. "So, now that the big send off is over, how about we head to the Bronze for a drink?"

"Sure, sounds great to me," Buffy sighed happily.

The rest of the gang nodded and began to walk down the street. "By the way where's Captain Oblivious headed anyway?"

"Oh, um somewhere south," the slayer stated. "Where was it again, Xander?"

"Um, South America, I think. Yeah, it was South America," the brunette nodded.

"The vampire stopped in his tracks, his eyes widening. "Bloody hell!"

"Spike, what is it?" Buffy asked concerned. "What's wrong?"

The blond vampire turned to look at the lights of the helicopter that were barely visible in the night sky. "South America? Didn't anyone bother to tell the boy that that's where Dru is?"

The group looked around at each other before realization set in and they all turned to watch as the lights faded out completely.

"Oops?" Buffy said sheepishly. "Does anyone know how to get hold of a secret organization?"

The vampire had to hide his smirk. "Rupert is gonna love this one," he snickered evilly.