Day 6
Thanks to Tam for all her help and time doing her fantastic beta work!





DAY 6

Buffy awoke stiff and grumpy. The very familiar smell of the bus terminal tickled her nose. She sat there listening to the sounds around her for the longest time. Buffy felt the marks on her neck begin to tingle fiercely. When she opened her eyes, Spike was sprawled in the chair across from her.

“So, have fun staking the poof yesterday?” he drawled.

“Not as much fun as I’m gonna have dusting you,” Buffy snarked in return.

Spike sat forward, leaning his elbows on his knees as he clasped his closed fists under his chin. Giving the grumpy slayer a look of wide eyed innocence, he mildly chastised her. “Now, pet, is that any way to greet the nice monster that brought you coffee?”

“Coffee?” Buffy perked right up at the thought of the enticing beverage.

“And donuts,” Spike elaborated. “We’ve got a lot to talk about and I figured that if we try for once to do without the usual arguments, we might be able to figure this mess out.”

She carefully considered the vampire in front of her. “Are you talking truce, teamwork, or something else?”

Spike inwardly cursed the part of his anatomy that had perked up at the thought of ‘something else’. He also ignored the little voice in his head that sounded suspiciously like his insane sire as it urged him to ‘play in the sunshine’. He wasn’t going to be dictated to. Once this situation was fixed, he was going to go back to his unhappily chipped unlife and hating the slayer as he so rightly should. In order to do that, they had to work together, and that required…

“Teamwork,” Spike answered her question. “We’re gonna have to try and trust each other, pet.”

Buffy looked at him, her expression serious but sad. “And how do we do that, Spike? How do we, as mortal enemies, trust each other?”

“I guess that’s another thing we need to talk about, slayer.”

~~~~~~

“I get that it would be harder for you to trust me than it should be for me to trust you, what with me bein’ evil an all, and you being the Chosen One for the white hats. So, how about I go first?” Spike offered the apprehensive girl seated in the booth opposite him.

Willy had been a little worried when they’d entered the Alibi Room, but they’d assured him that they weren’t there to cause trouble. They just needed a private place to talk. Willy had sent them to a dark booth in the back.

“But before I tell you what’s been going on, I’m gonna ask that you wait till I finish before you pass any sort of judgement on me, alright?” Spike set down his ground rules. “I also think it would be better to spend the day discussing our problem. We know we’re not gonna fix anything today, so nobody that gets hurt will stay hurt. If we concentrate on just this one thing, we might actually come up with a game plan.”

Buffy cautiously nodded her agreement. She could feel the intensity of the blond vampire’s emotions. She could tell he was being sincere about tying to work together. Was it possible that she was just tuning into him for the first time? Maybe she had some latent slayer thing going on where she was getting insightful? Whatever it was, being able to feel Spike’s emotions was seriously wiggy. Not that she was planning on giving away more than she had to.

She wasn’t sure if she was looking forward to his explanation for the bites or not. She sure as hell wasn’t planning on sharing that knowing what he was feeling was making her feel better about this mess. She didn’t feel so alone. His feelings gave her comfort, something which she would totally deny if anyone ever suggested it.

Spike began his tale. He admitted to helping the giant jigsaw puzzle in return for the removal of his chip, and told her of his plan to break up the Scoobies. A lot of what he said made Buffy realize just how easily they had all allowed it to happen. She had to wonder if the genuine contrition she felt coming from the vampire was the only thing that was stopping her from jumping up and staking him.

She listened carefully as he went on to tell her about his day with Giles, surprised to hear the deep disappointment in his voice over the fact that the watcher would never remember their conversation. She could feel how it made him feel. There was no doubting him this time. No underlying suspicions as to his motives. He really was amazing. She supposed she really shouldn’t be surprised by anything he said anymore. ‘You've been one constant roller coaster ride ever since I meet you, Spike. I never know when we're going to hit the next loop.’

He went on to tell her about witnessing the fight between Riley and Angel. When he informed her that he’d overheard what she’d said to Riley and Angel about him, he admitted that- for him- her words had been the turning point; the moment things had started to change for him. Buffy was humbled that her unplanned admission had such a profound effect on a soulless demon. She hadn’t realised, until that moment, how quickly she had fallen into the pattern of blaming everything on Spike.

Spike hesitated before telling her about his botched trip and his dream, but finally decided to be completely honest as see where it led.

Buffy flushed in embarrassment at his description of his dream. When he showed her the bite his dream manifestation of her had left on him, she physically cringed and apologised profusely. She sought desperately to change the subject, because she so wasn’t ready to tell her side yet. Talking about bitey-Buffy was just gonna freak her, so she latched onto something he had said earlier.

“You're the only vampire that has never lost his invitation to my home,” she blurted out. Staring at the table, she was suddenly unable to meet his eyes. Still, she couldn’t help but continue. “Even when we were trying to kill each other, you were there on the verge of changing. You took time to learn things about me that no one else has. Granted, it was to kill me, but still, you’re…different. You’ve always been different.”

“Don’t look away, luv. It means a lot to me that you’re able to trust me this much even though I'm not exactly one of the Scoobies.” Spike spoke with such earnestness that Buffy was faced with an epiphany that almost made her weep in shame. Spike was lonely. So lonely that even marginal comments that might be considered partial acceptance touched him deeply. Whoever it was that had suggested the idea that soulless demons couldn’t feel the finer emotions had sure as hell never met Spike.

And now it was her turn to play true confessions. Well, not quite true. Buffy told Spike everything that she’d gone through with the exception of one small detail. When she got to the part about the dream, she skipped the fact that she had expressed her love for the vampire.

The vampire’s human half was bred from Victorian stock. William had been raised to be a gentleman. Spike was insightful enough to know she hadn’t told him everything, he could tell by her body language that what ever she was hiding was embarrassing to her, and he let it go.

Buffy smiled at him, silently letting him know that she appreciated his tact and was grateful that he’d chosen not to call her on the obvious omission. She finished her story with the dusting of Angel and waited for his reaction.

“Can I dust him too?” Spike grinned at her, his playful humour breaking the serious mood that had engulfed them both.

Buffy rolled her eyes in droll amusement before surprising him with her reply of, “if you must.”

Chuckling happily at the Slayer’s wry comment, Spike reached into his pocket and pulled out a pad and pen. It was time to get back to business. “The way I see it is that Dru said we had to ‘fix the factors,’ or some such rot. Maybe that means we have to fix what’s wrong with you and your mates, save the poofter commando, stop the jealous wankers, and help the watcher.”

“But didn’t she say that we both have to discover the truth or something? I’m pretty sure we’re going to have to work out what the dreaming and the biting is all about,” Buffy added her own thoughts.

“Well, yeah, but maybe what we need to learn will come out of what we fix?” Spike suggested with a hint of desperation. He was not going to be manipulated. Not about love. Not again. He would not be swayed by the beautiful- no, not beautiful- blonde. That was what he meant, blonde slayer.

“You do realize everything you write down will disappear in a few hours, right, Mister I'm-So-Good-At-Making-Plans?” Buffy grinned at the clearly flustered vampire.

It was Spike’s turn to roll his eyes as he answered the Slayer. “I know that slayer, but if I see things in writing they tend to stick with me better.”

“Yeah cause you stick with your plans so well. Am I the only one who remembers St Viagra?” she teased.

“That’s Vigeous, pet. Think you're mixing up your rituals with your relations,” Spike answered, and then broke into amused laughter that he had tried so hard to hold in. When he regained control he continued, “Besides that was just a bloody ritual. I hate rituals and I killed everybody that knew how to perform it.”

“Boy, Spike, you have the art of winning friends and influencing people down pat, don’t you?” Buffy joked. Banter she could do, and even she had to admit it was more fun to banter with someone who gave as good as they got. Even if that someone was someone she was starting to-

Wait. No. Not like. Definitely no likeage there.

“Worked with your mum, didn't it.” Spike grinned with delight. He loved this side of the slayer, because-

No. Hell no. Not loved. Sure, she was cute, and this side of her personality amused him, but that was all. There was absolutely no bloody love.

“What can I say? She's a sucker for a sob story.” Buffy shrugged nonchalantly.

They spent the rest of the day making plans, easily slipping into light, friendly bantering whenever the occasion arose. Buffy convinced Spike that they wouldn’t be wasting time if they went over what they knew with Jonathan the next day. Spike countered with getting her to agree to try once more with her watcher.

Their discussion relating to the problem of jealous boyfriends brought more questions than answers.

“How did Angel know Riley’s name?” Buffy asked when it suddenly dawned on her that she had never given that information to the brooding vampire.

“What about the rogue slayer? Would she have told him?” Spike suggested.

“I doubt it. She wouldn't have said anything that would put her in a bad light in his eyes.” Buffy’s bitterness at Faith was still strong. “Wait a sec…how did you know about Faith?”

“Which? About your visit to save the poof or when she nicked your body?” Spike tried to clarify Buffy’s question.

“Um, both?” Buffy was on the edge of her seat. She seriously didn’t care that he knew about her trip to L.A., but she was definitely apprehensive over his knowledge of the body swap.

“You mentioned the trip earlier. And as for the other, I figured out something was wrong when my slayer started saying stuff that I knew damn well she’d never say. Overheard Cardboard and the Whelp talking about it after it was over with. Knew then that I was right.” Spike shrugged, having no idea of the importance of what he had just revealed.

“So you knew it wasn’t me, right?” Buffy held her breath as she waited for his response.

“Of course I knew it wasn’t you, what sort of bloody idiot do you take me for?” Spike responded indignantly. “Even I know the difference between class and trash, slayer.” He pouted, hurt that the slayer would think him such a fool.

“Spike,” Buffy gently called for the upset vampire’s attention. When he looked at her, she smiled tremulously. “Thank you.”

“Huh?” He was totally confused by her gratitude.

“Riley didn’t know the difference. He didn’t know it wasn’t me. He...slept with her.”

“I’m sorry, luv.” Spike reached out and tentatively patted the hand of his one time nemesis. He was filled with a blinding rage at the moron that had hurt this slayer. The boy definitely had some hard lessons coming to him.

Buffy was momentarily shaken by the waves of anger she felt coming from the vampire, anger that seemed to be directed at Riley. She refused to acknowledge the little butterflies in her stomach that Spike’s protective feelings evoked.

Pushing her giddy thoughts aside for later introspection, Buffy turned her attention back to the matter at hand. She asked Spike if he had any idea where Angel might have received his information from. “Giles knew that Angel was in town during Thanksgiving, but I wasn't really dating Riley at that time, and I don’t think Giles would tell him anything even if he did know.”

“The Whelp?” Spike suggested distractedly. He was mentally berating himself for his uncontrollable feelings. He was trying desperately to remember all the reasons that he hated the slayer.

Buffy mused over the idea that it might have been Xander. “He hates Angel, so I can totally see him saying something so he can gloat, but then why would he tell Riley exactly how Angel loses his curse?”

“What do you mean, Slayer?” Spike had to ask. His curiosity was consuming him.

“Xander decided to tell Riley about my sex life,” Buffy told the vampire bitterly.

“You didn't tell Captain Cardboard about Angelus losing his soul?” Spike asked, confused.

“I did, I just didn’t tell him how. It’s not like I asked him about his past experiences,” she defended her actions with a pout.

“Bloody hell, Slayer. I reiterate- you have bleedin’ tragic taste in men.” Spike shook his head in mock despair.

“Oh yeah? What about you Mr. Big-Pile-of-Dust?” Buffy wasn’t going down without a fight.

Spike knew he was being set up, but he had no clue how the cheeky little bint was going to do it. “What about me?”

“I was engaged to you.”

“IT WAS A SPELL!” the vampire shouted indignantly.

Buffy shook her head sadly. “I'm sure I'm the only slayer in history to be engaged and dumped on the same day.”

“I didn't dump you, Miss Spike-Lips-Lips-of-Spike.” He felt it necessary to point out.

“And I didn't dump you, Mr. I've-Got-Buffy-Taste-In-My-Mouth.” She was quick to inform him.

Spike looked at the blonde speculatively. “So if I didn't dump you and you didn't dump me; that means...?”

“Yep, still got my engagement ring, too.” Buffy grinned.

“So, you've been cheating on me then,” he leaned back in his seat and smirked at the girl.

“I have one word for you, Spikey. Harmony.” Buffy lifted an eyebrow as she returned his smug smile.

Spike suddenly stiffened up, all trace of amusement gone from his face. Turning from the playful blond, he motioned for Willy to come over.

“Is the back room empty?” Spike’s seriousness alerted the barman to the possibility of trouble.

“Yeah, Spike. Feel free,” the barman easily agreed to the master vampire’s unasked request to use the room under discussion.

Indicating that Buffy should follow him, Spike left the snitch a last minute order, “When he comes, tell him where we are.”

Buffy hurried behind Spike. As they entered the back room, Buffy felt the signature of her first love just before she heard Willy’s loud greeting.

“Hey, Angel, did you want your weekly update on the slayer?”

Buffy did a pretty good impression of a vampire’s growl as she closed the door.

“Well, I guess we know how he knew about the hall monitor,” Spike commented. He was disgusted with the stalker-like way the great brooding poof kept interfering in the Slayer’s life. He didn’t care what anyone said, soul or no soul; the wanker was into psychological games.

Buffy turned to face the door, her arms crossed and her expression grim. Tapping her foot impatiently, she waited for the brunette vampire to make his entrance.

Spike sprawled out on one of the chairs surrounding the poker table. To anyone but Buffy, he looked relaxed and untroubled. She knew it was a deliberate act to fool their unexpected guest into underestimating him as a threat. Buffy knew this vampire. She honestly believed she might be the only one who did.

When Angel burst through the door, Buffy almost laughed. She shot a quick glance at Spike and shared with him her observation while she fixed her gaze on the fuming vampire in front of her. “I know I missed the bit about him being a stalker, but seriously, how did I miss the whole drama queen thing he’s got going on?”

“Buffy?” Angel turned his hurt, puppy dog brown eyes on the love of his unlife. “What’s wrong with you? Why are you acting like this? What are you doing here with Spike?”

“Um, nothing, because, and not your business. And now it’s my turn.” The slayer grinned as she took over. “What are you doing in my town other than stalking me, beating up on my soon to be ex-boyfriend, and generally being a pain in the butt? ‘Cause if you came to apologise, gotta tell ya, your apologies kinda suck.”

“What’s wrong with her, Spike? What have you done?” Angel snarled at the reclining vampire.

Spike turned pleading eyes to the Slayer.

Nodding indulgently, Buffy said the words he so wanted to hear, “Go on, enjoy yourself.”

Before Angel could register the movement, Spike was in front of him, grinning. Angel didn’t even have time to look down at the stake protruding from his chest as his body crumbled around him.

“Bloody hell that was cathartic.” Spike smiled widely in pleasure.

~~~~~~~~

Drusilla was seated in a rocking chair with her small porcelain companion at her side. “Pay careful attention Miss Edith, mummy will teach you all you need to know.” She picked up the small cloth and placed it across her lap. Then she lifted the silver needle and thread, dipping them both into the small basin on the table in front of her.

“Weave and tighten. Weave and tighten. You must make sure to make them nice and straight or the whole thing will come undone. Pretty tapestries need lots of time and patience to come out just right. Nothing less will do for mummy’s brave soldier.”

She continued to rock and weave, smiling brightly for Herbie as he brought in her evening tray of tea. ‘Such a dearie,’ she thought. ‘I shall have to give him extra attention after I finish helping the lonely hearts.’

There was so much to do, but so little time in which to do it. Tonight would be an all night affair. A weaving of souls could not be rushed.

~~~~~~~~

When Buffy awoke, she immediately sensed something was different. Oh, she was still sleeping in a torture device called a chair. Her whole body still ached. The very familiar smell of the bus terminal was there, but now there was another smell. An enticing smell. A divine smell. A caffeine-y goodness smell.

Yay, Spike. Good monster.

She kept her eyes closed as the aroma got stronger. The now familiar tingles gave her peace and comfort. She grinned.

“Bloody typical woman. I suppose you want me to drink it for you, too.” Spike teased the smiling blond.


TBC...

Note: I'm adding a second chapter since it's been so long since we've updated! Enjoy!