Author's Chapter Notes:
Back to the plot bunny chapters now
Chapter 11 – A father’s acceptance

William offered Buffy his arm as they entered the drawing room. Bending down he whispered in her ear, “Your Spike still wants to play, Pet. Shall we see what he would like to do later tonight?”

Buffy blushed prettily and William thought she looked so lovely that his breath caught in his throat. He could still not believe what she had done in the library. Her un-tutored sucking had turned him on more than any woman he had been with, except Dru of course, but that was because he loved her.

Craven stood up as they entered the room. “Well?” he asked impatiently, “Are we to wish you both happy?”

Buffy smiled up at her fiancé and turned to her father. “Yes papa, you may wish us both happy.”

Her father’s smile beamed all over his face. Lady Dawn ran to her sister and hugged her tightly. “I am so happy for you Buffy, and you were correct in saying he was handsome.”

William smiled down at his sister-in-law to be and ruffled her hair. “Why thank you bit. You will soon be a great beauty too.”

Lady Dawn smiled up at William and moved to give him a hug too. “Welcome to the family my Lord.” She turned to her father. “When will we let Xander know papa?”

William looked down at Buffy in confusion, the look on his face let her know that he did not know about her older brother Lord Alexander.

“Our older brother is currently at Oxford, William. No doubt he will see the announcement in The Times.”

“No doubt,” he replied. “I must send word to The Times and Morning Post tomorrow.”

Craven looked smugly at William. “Already done, sent the announcements this morning.”

“Before I had received a reply from Buffy sir?” William looked at his grace.

“Knew she would not refuse you William, she said she would accept when I discussed your proposal with her this morning.”

William looked down at Buffy and was reassured by the wonderful smile he saw on her face. No doubt the chit was in love with him already which suited him fine. He smiled back at her and lifted her left hand to his lips to kiss the ring he had placed there.

Lady Joyce walked over to Buffy and taking her hand looked down at the ring. “Lord William this is indeed a wonderful betrothal ring. Did you purchase this today?”

Smiling down at his her, William told her of the ring’s history and how he and his father would be proud if Buffy wore it. Her grace smiled at him and patted his arm. “Buffy should always wear emeralds, they match her eyes.”

“My thoughts exactly, your grace, and I will complete the set once we are married.”

Not with my money Buffy thought while continuing to smile. She might enjoy what they do together but it did not mean she would allow him to waste her money on fripperies. She needed her dowry to escape him and be independent.

Craven looked at his wife. “How quickly can we arrange a betrothal ball my dear? I would like the whole world to know our daughter is spoken for.”

“I will send the invitations out today Henry, and we should be able to have everything organised for Saturday next week if you would let me have use of your secretary.”

“Of course my dear,” replied his grace “I know you will not let me down.” Craven turned and left the room leaving the women to their celebration. On his way to the door he asked William to join him in something stronger than tea.

Once the men had departed, both her mother and sister smiled at Buffy. Her mother spoke first with concern in her voice as she remembered her daughter’s comments at the breakfast table that morning, “Buffy darling, are you sure about this?”

“Oh yes mama,” Buffy smiled at her mother. “I know exactly how I will handle William.” A faraway look came into her eyes when she remembered exactly how she had handled him just a short time before. William was going to be putty in her hands of that she was sure.

“Don’t worry mama,” Buffy went on. “We will fit together well I assure you. This will be a good match. He has something I want, and I have something he craves.”

Her mother looked at her with a frown and Buffy decided to stop any further questions by exclaiming that they had a trousseau to plan and buy. Knowing her sister loved to shop; it was the easiest way to turn the conversation to something pleasant.


In the library both men were congratulating each other on the outcome of the betrothal. Craven turned to William and said, “Are you willing to comply with my conditions then William?”

“Indeed sir,” William replied looking the older man in the eyes. “I am already rather fond of your daughter and promise to treat her well, however I will not give up Drusilla,” he felt he had to make his position very clear to the Duke.

“As long as no scandal touches my daughter Whitmore, I do not care. I am quite looking forward to sending Joyce and Dawn away for months at a time.” His grace smiled slyly at William, “I too like my freedom William, and wives who live three hundred miles from you are worth their weight in gold. I, too, have interests in London that are, how should I put it, better conducted without the bother of attending a wife.”

William felt uncomfortable suddenly and he wondered why. Surely a wife living in the north of England and nowhere near he and Drusilla was his dream was it not? He quickly pulled himself together and held out his hand for the Duke to shake. “I will take my leave of you now Sir and will return at nine o’clock this evening to escort Buffy and the ladies to whatever soiree is planned.

“Excellent idea, William” the duke beamed at him. “That arrangement will leave me free to pursue my own pleasures tonight.”

As he watched William leave the room, the duke threw back his head and laughed. His plans were going well, and soon he would be free of his annoying family.

William’s marriage to Buffy would be his godsend.

Laying down his emptied glass on a side table, he followed William from the room.