Author's Chapter Notes:
Please review - everyone is skipping to AFF to read it and reviewing me there. Please review here too - I'm begging
Chapter 18 – Acting the part




William stared at himself in the mirror. He looked liked and felt like death. His heart was torn in two and he had to go downstairs to meet his bride-to-be and her family. Christ! How had it come to this? He had been willing to live like a pauper as long as could keep his dark princess and all the time the bitch had been using him.

Turning to Clem, William remarked “I don’t believe a word Dru said Clem she’s just upset that I said I would break the engagement”.

Clem stared at William in disbelief and could not believe his ears. Was the man mad! Drusilla was an evil bitch and William still wanted her. He could not understand him.

It was time to take William’s mind off Drusilla.

“Do you think you will be happy with Buffy, William?” Clem asked.

“I don’t want to talk about Buffy, Clem. I need to talk to Drusilla”. William turned an anguished look at Clem. “I have to get her back. I can’t live without her.”

That statement was more than enough for Clem.

“You idiot of a man, Will,” Clem cried. “Drusilla is a total bitch and everyone knows she has used you for years.”

William was across the room in seconds with his hands around Clem’s throat.

“You know nothing about it Clem. Our love was eternal, forever”

Calmly Clem removed William’s hands.

“It’s time you grew up William.” Clem looked him directly in the eye whilst rubbing his throat. “The woman is a menace and you know she never stayed faithful to you.” Clem moved closer to him until the words were spat in his face. “Good God man, half The Ton has been inside her and she tells the world what a lapdog you are.”

William reared back from his friend. He could not, would not believe what Clem was telling him. It was just wrong. Drusilla had to love him the way he loved her.

“I’m not going to see the Craven’s tonight Clem.” William cried. “I am going to see Dru and get this sorted out.”

Clem grabbed William around his biceps.

“Don’t be stupid man, “ he growled at William. “You have a fiancé who will be here in minutes and you need to be there to greet her.”

Pointedly looking at Clem’s hands gripping his arms, William whispered “Let me go Clem. I have to see Dru”

Shaking his friend as hard as he could Clem sneered at him. “For God’s sake William, not now.” He removed his hands before he throttled his friend. He was sorely tempted to wring the life from his body.


“You have to get ready to meet Craven and his brood and you need to do it now. If you must see Drusilla at least wait until the Craven’s have gone. Don’t give up everything for a…”

“For a what Clem, finish your sentence.” William’s voice held more threat than Clem had ever heard from his friend. “Go on Clem. Tell me ‘what’ you think Drusilla is?”

Clem slowly shook his head. He knew he was not going to win this argument and it would be best to back down from any confrontation.

“Look William,” he tried to reason with him. Inspiration struck. “Maybe Drusilla will be more amenable if you tell her the wedding is definitely on. Let her think that Craven money will start to come her way.”

A huge grin spread across William’s face. “You’re right, Clem.” William continued to smile.

“All I need to do is convince her that we will be rolling in the soft stuff and she will love me again.”

Turning from the gleam in his friend’s eyes, Clem moved towards the mirror to fix the damage William had done to his cravat. He could not stand to listen to any more of William’s prattle, for prattle it was.

William walked towards Clem and bumped him out of the way to get to the mirror.

“Let’s get this show on the road Clem.” William smiled at his reflection. “Time to woo my bride.”

######

“The Duke and Duchess of Craven, Lady Elizabeth Summers, Lord Alexander Summers.” The butler introduced the family from the open door of the drawing room. Striding past the past the butler, Craven made his way to the centre of the room.

“Annandale,” he greeted his friend and fellow conspirator. “I hope I find you well?”

Annandale smiled at his old school friend. “Very well, thank you Henry. This engagement has done me the world of good”

“I, too” Craven replied.

While the friends caught up near the fireplace, Buffy and her family moved to the centre of the room. Wondering why William was not there to meet her, Buffy slowly looked around.

“Your Grace,” she addressed William’s father. “When will William be joining us?”

Buffy tried to sound eager when she really wanted not to see William tonight.

Annandale smiled at Buffy. “His friend, Clem, called earlier my dear. I am sure they will both be down at any moment”

Buffy smiled in reply.

Her plans were backfiring. The more she was in William’s company, and the more they played, the more she found that she was developing feelings for him. This was not what she wanted or desired. Feelings were not part of her plan. She had already decided that she would see him as little as possible before the wedding. Surely the feelings would stop then.

Walking towards Xander, she smiled at her brother. Xander smiled back with affection at his sister. He loved her very much and was not happy with this match. He knew of William’s reputation, and he knew more about Lady Drusilla Angelus than cared to admit. Xander and Drusilla had been intimate on many occasions and he knew the pleasure the woman could bring to a man. He wondered if William would give her up for Buffy. He seriously doubted it. Xander only used her for sex, there were no feelings involved. His heart beat only for Lady Cordelia Chase, the sister of one of his friends. He would be making his intentions clear in that direction at the end of the season, however a man had needs and Drusilla was always willing.

Lady Joyce moved to stand by her two eldest children. She had learned long ago not to interrupt her husband when he was in conference with another. The arguments were never worth it and they seemed to make her headaches worse.

Looking at her daughter with concern, Joyce could not help but wonder why her daughter was determined to marry someone she did not love. Joyce had married for love and indeed still loved her husband. Maybe that was why she was so unhappy because she knew her husband no longer loved her. She suspected, quite strongly, that Henry had a mistress but she dared not ask. Loving a man who did not love you was so hard.

Before she could speak the drawing room doors opened and William entered with Clem. Buffy stared at him as he walked towards her. He really was the most beautiful man she had ever seen. Resisting him was becoming harder every day.

William stopped in his tracks. He was experienced enough to know when a woman wanted him and he was pretty sure that Buffy was very attracted to him. This was going to be so easy. His mind drifted to Dru and how she would be so sorry for hurting him and she would beg to get him back once she was sure that the wedding would go ahead.

Smiling at the thought, he looked Buffy in the eye. “Hello cutie” he said as he lifted her hand to his lips.

Buffy was sure the smile was for her.

Still holding her hand he drew it through his arm and led her towards Clem.

“Let me introduce you to my best friend darling.” Buffy stiffened at the endearment. He had never called her anything except Buffy before. William noticed and held her arm tighter against him.

“Lord Clement Telford, I am pleased to introduce Lady Elizabeth Summers”

Clem bowed from the waist. He was stunned. Elizabeth Summers was, without doubt, one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen. What in God’s name did William want with Drusilla when he would have this beauty in his bed every night? Mentally shaking his thoughts away, he smiled at his friend’s intended.

“Pleasure to meet you ma’am.”

“Please Lord Clement” Buffy smiled at him and held out her hand, “call me Buffy.”

Raising her hand to his lips, Clem decided that he was half in love with this beauty himself.

William, noticing the adoring look on is friends face, knew that Buffy was a hit with Clem.

“And you, my Lady Elizabeth” Clem replied, “must call me Clem.”

Gently removing her arm from William’s grasp she turned to introduce her brother to the two men.

“Gentlemen, may I introduce my brother Lord Alexander Summers.” Buffy smiled at her brother lovingly. “Xander, I would like you to meet my fiancé Lord William Whitmore and his friend Lord Clement Telford”

Xander extended his hand towards each man in turn. As he took William’s hand he squeezed tighter than was polite. William noticed and raised his brow at him. Looking him in the eye, Xander requested that William join him somewhere quiet.

Buffy looked at her brother with concern. She could not understand why Xander would wish to speak to William alone. She hoped he was not about to scupper her plans. This marriage must go ahead so that she could be free.

“Xander” Buffy said in a quiet voice. “What do you think you are doing?”

Turning to his sister he replied, “Why, nothing Buffy” Xander’s face was a picture of innocence. “I just thought I would speak to your intended, man to man.”

William recognised a challenge in the whelp’s voice. Better to get this over with now.

“Join me in the Library, Alexander” William knew that the boy would not like the use of his full name and he was determined to intimidate him. “We shall have a glass of brandy together.” Turning to Clem, he asked “Look after Buffy and her grace for me Clem, this will take but a moment.”

He handed Buffy over to Clem with dignity and gestured with his head towards the door. Xander followed.

####

Smiling up at Clem, Buffy tried to hide her anxiety. Xander had always been protective of both herself and Dawn and she knew that he was not happy with this union. She dared not tell him of her plans and she hoped he would not say anything to put William off.

He HAD to marry her.