Author's Chapter Notes:
Please review. Reviews makes chapters get posted!!!!
Chapter 19 – A Brother’s Love

[A/N – thank you all for reviewing. I would like to send a message to all the guys who have skipped over to AFF to read the other chapters and reviewed me there – please review me here too. I need it. Reviews most definitely my little fingers work faster and if I get enough reviews I might put up more of the story. Come on people, let’s support this site and its authors.]




William and Xander entered the library together. Making straight for the brandy on a side table, William silently lifted the decanter in offering to Xander. Nodding his acquiescence, Xander moved towards one of the large chairs near the lit fire and sat.

Taking his time pouring the brandy into two goblets, William pondered on what the whelp was going to say. He was definitely not in the mood for this tonight. All he wanted to do was leave them all sitting in the drawing room while he sought out his dark princess. She would make up their quarrel of that he was sure.

“Well,” questioned William as he handed over the brandy goblet. “What have you to say for yourself Alexander?”

Accepting the goblet gracefully, Xander took a long sip before contemplating the man before him.

“Quite a lot, Whitmore” Xander replied lifting the glass to his lips for another sip.

Xander looked at William for a few moments as he contemplated his drink “Sit down man. I think we have a few things to discuss”

William doubted he would ever discuss anything with Buffy’s brother, but politeness endured. He slowly made his way to the opposite seat and once seated sipped his brandy.

Staring Xander in the eye, he lifted his scarred eyebrow.

“Do we?” William inquired. “I find that hard to believe. I have made your sister an offer which she and your father accepted. Why should you be concerned?”

Xander’s face turned a brick red. “She is my sister Whitmore,” Xander spat at William. “And I cannot believe that my father would want her to marry someone like you”

William’s eyes narrowed as he looked at the man in front of him.

“And what, pray tell, is a man like me.”

“Why a rake and a libertine, of course,” Xander was in full flow now. “Good God man, the whole ton knows of your exploits with the likes of the Angelus woman. Not to mention the number of other women you have bedded”

Trying hard to keep hold of his temper at the obvious disdain in which Xander held Drusilla, William took a deep breath to steady his nerves. He was going to have to lie and lie convincingly to the whelp or all his plans would be in vain.

“Do they not say that there is none as faithful as a reformed rake Alexander” William looked at his future brother-in-law in all innocence.

“They do indeed Whitmore,” agreed Xander. “However I do not believe that you are reformed at all”

Struggling to keep his temper in check once more, William replied blandly.

“I assure you Alexander, I am totally reformed. I love your sister very much and fully intend to make her happy.”

Xander stared in disbelief at William.

“You honestly expect me to believe that. Good god man, are you telling me that you would give up the many pleasures a woman like Drusilla Angelus can bring you for an un-tutored, just out of the schoolroom miss?”

William was on his feet in a moment ready to strike out at the whelp before him.

“You dare to question me on my intentions when you know nothing of the relationship between Buffy and I.” William wondered where this statement came from. He should be defending Drusilla’s honour, not Buffy’s, after all it was Drusilla he loved.

Xander rose from his chair.

“You are correct Whitmore, I do not know what type of relationship you have with my sister, but I will tell you this.”

Moving forward, Xander stood directly in front of William. “My sister is the most precious thing in my life and if you hurt her in any way, any way at all, I will find you and kill you.” Xander refused to step down from the intimidating look he received from William. “I swear this on my sister’s life.”

William quickly decided that he needed to keep his head and not retaliate. It was going to be hard as at that moment he wanted to rip out the whelp’s rib cage and wear it as a hat.

“Buffy and I will be married within the month Alexander whether you approve or not. However if you wish to continue to visit your sister once she moves into this house you had better heed me now.” William dropped his voice to its most menacing as he continued, “If you try and interfere and sway the plans that I and your father, and to some extent Buffy herself, have made you will not need to find me at all as I will be looking for you”

Xander took a step back from the menace in William’s voice.

Bluffing against the sudden fear he felt, Xander replied. “And I will easily be found Whitmore as I do not trust you in the slightest. At the first hint of scandal involving either you or my sister and we will be meeting at dawn.”

William stared at Xander for a few seconds before he bowed his head quickly in acquiescence.

Xander did not feel they had cleared the air at all. “How much is my father paying you to marry my sister, Whitmore?”

Caution was called for here. William had no intention of discussing the wedding contract with Xander.

“The wedding contract is none of your business, Xander. “ William growled. “An offer was made and accepted. All parties are in agreement and that is all you need to know.”

Not to be intimidated, Xander repeated his question.

“Listen man, your father wants this match very much. My father is also determined this marriage go ahead as planned. It has gone too far to be stopped now.”

William took a deep breath. His head was hurting from the whiskey he had imbibed earlier in the day and the last thing he was in the mood for was an argument.

“I will treat your sister like a queen, Xander. She is a beautiful woman and deserves to be treated with respect.”

Turning red in the face once more, Xander again went on the attack.

“Respect! How can you talk about respect when you spend any free time you have with the Angelus woman? Good God, William, how can you bring disgrace to our family with that liaison.” Xander took a deep breath before he continued. He was not intimidated by the look of fury in William’s eyes.

“Buffy will surprise you yet, Whitmore. She will not take disgrace lightly.” Xander lowered his voice as he continued. “Buffy will not accept the normal behaviour of the ton and accept that her husband has a mistress. She will kill you if you disgrace her.”

William laughed hard and long. “I am sure that is not the case, Xander. She would find it quite difficult to kill me.”

Xander smiled a knowing smile before he answered William’s laughter ridden comment.

“If you wish to believe that, Whitmore, then I wish you happy in your marriage.”

“Now we have cleared the air Alexander, I think we should return to the drawing room before someone sends out a search party,” William asked.

Xander nodded his agreement and preceded William to the library door.