Author's Chapter Notes:
REVIEW, REVIEW, REVIEW
Chapter 20 – Making up


William could see the concern on Buffy’s face as he and Xander entered the drawing room after their tête-à-tête. Everyone had turned in the direction of the door as the men walked through. Ignoring everyone present, William walked directly to Buffy and lifted her hand to his lips.

“Missed me Luv?” he questioned in his sexiest voice. He could feel her hand tremble in his and knew instinctively that she had been worried. He sought to reassure her. “Everything’s fine sweetheart,” he smiled at her trying to banish her fears. “Your brother just wanted to know that I wanted to marry you, and I do Buffy, I want to marry you very much indeed.”

Buffy let out a strangled breath. She had known the minute that Xander wanted a word with William that her brother has gone into protective mode and was ready for a confrontation.

Looking up at her fiancé’s eyes, Buffy tried to look for the lie behind the words. She knew he did not love her and that he was only marrying her for money, but she would have given anything for his love to be real. Deep down she knew that she was starting to fall in love with this man and that in doing so she would only bring heartbreak.

Pulling herself together she took a deep breath and replied.

“Xander can be a trifle over-protective towards both Dawn and I, William. I’m sorry he wanted to talk to you about our wedding.”

Smiling once again at Buffy, William knew just the words to reassure her.

“I would do the same if I had a sister, especially if she looked as beautiful as you do tonight.” Wincing slightly to himself, William wondered if he was turning the charm on a trifle thick. He needed Buffy to have no doubts about this marriage. He watched as the most beautiful smile lit her whole face.

“Thank you, William” she replied. “You are so good to me you know.”

Deciding a little flirting was in order, William brought his mouth to her ear.

“If we ever get the chance to be alone tonight sweetheart,” he breathed. “I would be very good to you”

He straightened, and was pleased to see the look of arousal on her face. Buffy would be a wonderful bed partner and he would still be able to enjoy Dru’s charms. He hoped she would not breed too soon as he thought he might like to enjoy her for a while before sending her away.

####

The rest of the evening took its normal course. Dinner was served and the table conversation revolved around estate management and the up-coming wedding.

The Duke of Annandale was seated at the top of the table with his son directly opposite. Buffy had been placed to Williams’s right and Lord Telford to his left. The conversation between the four sparkled, ripples of hearty laughter was heard from their end of the table on a number of occasions.

William was pleased that Clem appeared to have taken a liking to Buffy, but it was tinged with a touch of darkness. Was Clem intending to make a claim to Buffy once William had got his heir. He had already decided that once his heir had been born he would allow Buffy to go her own way just as he intended to do, yet he did not feel easy with this decision now.

Staring at his plate he wondered why he cared. His heart belonged to Drusilla and always would, yet this blonde chit was starting to get under his skin. He liked too much about her to put her totally out of his mind. He enjoyed the smell of vanilla that seemed to follow her. He enjoyed the way she kissed and he really enjoyed the way she sucked cock. A vision of her doing that to another man entered his head and he was startled at the feeling of revulsion he felt.

Clem noticed the sudden change in his friend and enquired. “Something amiss Will?”

“No, No Clem” William was determined to placate his friend. “My mind was miles away there for a moment.”

Thinking he knew exactly where his friend’s mind had been, he gave William a pointed look as he replied. “With someone as beautiful as your future bride beside you Will, I fail to see what could have taken you mind away.”

William knew immediately where Clem’s thoughts lay and was determined to put him at ease. “I was thinking of Buffy, Clem and how wonderful she looks tonight.”

As soon as William had finished his reply, Clem knew not to take this subject any further lest Buffy realise the undercurrent of their conversation.

“Well I have to agree with you there, Will” Clem replied. “Your fiancé is one of the most beautiful flowers gracing the ton this season. I envy you your bride Will, I really do”

Buffy blushed prettily at the compliment and looked down at her plate. She did not notice the pointed look that Clem gave William at that moment. To William it was obvious that Clem really liked Buffy and could not understand his obsession with Drusilla.

Fuck you, thought William. He would speak to Drusilla tonight and get this misunderstanding sorted out so he could carry on his affair.

As they had been friends for years, Clem knew exactly what William was thinking but decided it was too dangerous to take this any further. Turning to Buffy, Clem decided to change the course of the conversation.

“So Buffy, would you like to take a turn in the park tomorrow with William and I?”

Buffy smiled mischievously at Clem.

“Why, Lord Clement, if I did not know better I would swear you were flirting with me” Buffy’s smile grew wider as a definite blush came over Clem’s face.

Clem stammered in reply, “Sorry, did not mean to imply….”

William stepped into the breach.

“I think a turn around the park is a wonderful idea Clem” he smiled at his friend’s embarrassment. Turning to Buffy, he asked “Do you think that Lady Dawn would like to join us Buffy?”

If it was possible, Buffy’s smile grew even wider and made her eyes sparkle bright green in the light of the candles.

“I believe she would enjoy that very much. Thank you William for being so thoughtful”

William felt pride in himself that it took so little to please her. Pleasing Dru was not as simple. He had to be inventive in bed to please his dark princess and even then she would look elsewhere on occasion to heighten her desires.

At the end of the meal the ladies retired to the drawing room for tea as the men enjoyed their port and cigars.

The Duchess was still concerned with her daughter’s choice for a husband and Buffy’s determination that this would never be a love match. She worried that Buffy would not be able to keep William at bay as easily as she thought it would be. Joyce knew how easily a man could manipulate a woman to his desires and wished her husband still visited her bed, even once in a while.

As she passed her daughter a cup of tea she remarked, “I really enjoyed Lord Telford’s company tonight. What a nice young man he seems to be” Secretly Joyce believed that Buffy would be happier with a man like Clem. No matter how little she went into society, Joyce recognised the type of man William was and how easily her little girl could be hurt. She did not think Clem would hurt her in the way William would. It had been easy to tell that he had taken a shine to Buffy and was determined to make her feel special.

Buffy knew the road down which her mother’s thoughts were travelling. In truth she could see the sense of a union with Clem, but she was as determined that she would marry William, and destroy him.

Smiling at her mother to reassure her, Buffy replied “Yes mother, Clem was indeed good company this evening.”

Before the conversation could go any further the drawing room door opened and the men entered.

As the tea was poured for everyone, William decided it was time to take it up a notch with Buffy. Handing her a cup he asked her if she would like to see the family portraits in the long gallery.

Buffy knew that William did not wish to show her any portraits and was using this as an excuse to be alone with her, she was not adverse to the idea at all.

Turning her face up to his, Buffy nodded her head.

“I would enjoy that very much, William” giving him another of her wonderful smiles, she continued “I would very much like to see them”

William immediately removed her cup from her grasp and replaced it on the tray. Holding out his hand he nodded to her to take it. Buffy did so and with a glance around the room she bid them farewell for a short while as she left the room on William’s arm.