Author's Chapter Notes:
Lots and Lots of reviews - I love you all. I am leaving for work now, but will answer them all later tonight. This chapter was not going up for a few days, but reviews changed my mind - hint hint
Chapter 23 – Consequences


William froze. His dick was still pumping fluid even though Buffy had removed her hands. He had made the most colossal mistake of his life and he knew there would be consequences. How in God’s name was he going to talk himself out of this one? His lust addled brain had totally disconnected with mouth as he had screamed Drusilla’s name. He had screamed it loud and proud to the skies, with Buffy’s hands on his dick.

Opening his eyes he expected to see an angry Buffy looking down at him, but his eyes fell on empty space. Looking round wildly he found her running towards the end of the long gallery. By the time he had pulled himself together enough to follow her, he realised he could not enter the drawing room looking as he was. He was covered in his own come and the smell of sex was strong.

Christ, what was he to do. He had blown it big time and he was sure Buffy was in the drawing room at this moment happily announcing that the engagement was off and that she was moving heaven and earth to get her family to return home.

Good God, what if she told the whelp. Would he make good his threat and demand satisfaction. William laughed hard at his thoughts. Killing Buffy’s brother in a duel on the common would really ensure she married him

How was he going to make this right and get her to marry him? Christ, he was screwed in more ways than one.

In the space of a day he had managed to lose both his Dark Princess and his Golden Goddess, simply because he could not control his mouth.

He had to make this right, the question was how.

He had never been good at making plans and following them through. He always ended up worse than when he started. Stupid fucking idiot. The words kept running through his brain.

Pushing his hands into his hair, he rubbed his head furiously. He could not think what to do. Should he hurry and change his clothes, or should he throw caution to the winds and run after Buffy hoping to change her mind. He knew he has spent too standing in the gallery doing nothing. She could have left the house by now.

Move, he admonished himself. Get moving and stop her breaking off the engagement.

Finally he realised he would have to do something. Straitening his clothes as he ran he made his way to the drawing room. Stopping at the mirror in the hallway he stared at the mess he was in. There was no way he could enter looking as he did. What the hell was he to do?

Moving back towards the door of the drawing room, he placed his ear against the panels. He wished the doors in this house were not so thick. Realising that he was breathing so hard that he could not distinguish anything through the doors, he stood straight and deliberately slowed his breathing down. He closed his eyes for a second and willed his body to calm down. He wanted, no needed, to hear what was being said and he would not be able to do this when he was in such a state.

Once his breathing was under control, he returned his ear to the door.

Buffy was laughing. He could hear her laughing. His father was laughing too; he would recognise his rich baritone anywhere. The whelp’s laughter was trilling round the room as well as Lady Joyce. He was almost curious enough to enter when he heard Buffy tell the room.

“And you should have seen his face when the candle wax spilled all over his clothes. I’m sure William’s valet will be most angry with him when he sees the state of his shirt and pantaloons.”

She had told a lie. She had not told them of his screaming Drusilla’s name. Did she love him enough to forgive him? Did she care so much for him?

William stood back from the door. He could not believe what he had heard. She had given everyone in the room an excuse as to why he was not there, and she had made it sound plausible. Turning on his heel he made his way quickly to his room to ring for his valet and change his clothes. He had to get back to the drawing room fast and find out where he stood.

Ten minutes later, William was presentable enough to return to his guests. He had washed his hands, face and dick while waiting for his valet to find him something suitable to wear. Changing quickly into clean clothes he ran down the main staircase taking the steps two at a time. He had to get in there.

Coming to a halt outside the door he closed his eyes and moved his head from side to side. Fully composed now he entered to room as if he had been gone a few minutes and not the thirty he had really been gone. Keeping his head still, he moved his eyes cautiously around the room to try and gauge the reaction to his entrance.

Buffy spoke first, moving quickly towards him and taking his hand. She dug her nails hard enough to almost draw blood into his palm. William was not sure if the gesture was to warn him or to hurt him.

“There you are my love,” she smiled at him. “I have just told everyone the story of how you dropped a candle in the gallery and managed to get hot wax all over your attire.”

William decided the only thing he could do was bluff it out.

“Did you, sweetheart,” he replied as he looked into her eyes. He could see her anger and he was sure he also saw contempt. He quickly decided that he would not use any more endearments tonight. After his behaviour this evening, she would know them to be false and could still call off the engagement.

Craven turned his attention to William.

“Glad to see you are no worse for your experience lad”

William caught the undercurrent in the Duke’s voice and was sure the old man knew what he and his daughter had really been up to. Guilt lay heavily on his chest as well as anxiety. He felt real fear for what the outcome of his actions would bring.

His father gave him a strange look that only William could interpret. His disappointment with his son was clearly written on his face. God, could this night get any worse.

Feeling trapped and vulnerable, William wondered what to do. Clem came to his rescue.

“Her grace is feeling poorly William and the Duke and his party are about to leave.” Looking round at the Duke of Craven, Lord Clement remarked.

“If you care to stay and catch up with your friend your grace, William and I would be happy to escort Lady Joyce and Lady Elizabeth home.” Clem smiled at Xander. “I’m sure a young man such as your son has his mind set on other pursuits and would welcome the chance to leave his mother and sister in our capable hands.”

Xander smiled brightly at Clem. He was indeed eager to leave this stuffy house and return to his club before taking in the joys of Haymarket. A night with a well trained whore would ease his need for Cordelia nicely. Many he would look up that Anya chit he had enjoyed before. She was always good for a round or two, or even three if he had enough coin.

“It would be my pleasure Sir,” William added. “I feel the need for some air this evening and it would be no hardship to escort the ladies home”

William could feel Buffy’s anger as a palpable force within the room. They needed time alone to sort this out and they needed it soon. A ride in a carriage accompanied by his best friend and her mother would not give them the privacy they required, but he knew it would help him try to work out what was going on in her head. At this moment, she scared him.

“Thank you, Whitmore” Craven replied. “I would be most grateful if you could see your way to escorting the ladies home”

“I will call for our carriage at once your grace,” William replied. “That way you can use your own conveyance to return home”

The two men passed a look of understanding between them. The Duke of Craven would not be returning home for quite some time. William was sure the man would visit his mistress this very night.

Glancing at Lady Joyce, William noticed that she indeed look pale. This woman reminded him of his own sweet gentle mother. She had the same soft voice and aristocratic bearing that he admired. He knew that if he managed to sort things out with Buffy he could grow to love this admirable woman as a mother. How he hoped that this would come to pass.

He had to get the women out of there. He needed time to think and time to put things right. The thought of losing Buffy was lying like a brick in his gut.

William made his way to the fireplace to pull on the rope. Once the butler arrived, William informed him to make the carriage ready as soon as possible. After the longest twenty minutes of his life, he was informed that the coach and four was ready. Politely offering his arm to her grace, he nodded to Clem to escort Buffy from the room. Another five minutes was taken up by everyone putting on their outer clothes ready for the journey home.

William continued to escort her grace while Clem busied himself escorting Buffy. The footman helped both women into the coach and ensured they were tucked into blankets with hot bricks at their feet to stem the cold.

The journey back to the Craven mansion seemed to take forever. Clem managed to keep conversation going, but William noticed that Buffy made a point of not speaking directly to him. He noticed she did not look at him either and he was confused over the hurt he felt. Lady Joyce proved to be a wonderful conversationalist and he tried to lose his thoughts by conversing with her.

Buffy, he noticed, appeared to enjoy the company of Clem and he could feel his temper rising towards his friend. Confusion and anger appeared to be his companions just now and he did not know how to let the feelings go.

Eventually the carriage stopped and the footmen jumped down to open the door. As soon as the door opened William jumped down from the carriage determined to be the one to help Buffy alight.

Buffy noticed his actions and knew exactly what he intended to do. She was more than ready for him.

As he offered his hand, Buffy stared at him with a look of contempt and pointedly turned to the footman offering her hand to him instead.

William knew the gesture for what it was. She did not want him to touch her just now, and he thought it best to comply and stood aside to let the footman help her alight. Once on the ground Buffy turned and waited for her mother and was pleased to see Clem’s attentiveness towards her.

Once her mother was free of Clem’s hand, Buffy turned to William.

“I bid you goodnight sir,” she told him trying to keep the anger from her voice. “I believe I will forgo our ride in the park tomorrow. As you can see my mother is not well and I think it would be best if she had my company tomorrow rather than you.”

Christ, he thought. She is going to break the engagement tomorrow. He could almost see it in her eyes. He could think of nothing to say in reply.

Clem came forward and lifted Buffy’s hand to his lips.

“We will indeed miss your company my dear,” he smiled at her. “But we can both see that her grace needs some rest. May we call later tomorrow to enquire of her health?”

“You will be most welcome, Lord Clement”

William noticed immediately that he had not been included in the invitation. He must not let an opportunity like this pass by. He would be here tomorrow come hell or high water.

As the door to the Craven mansion opened light spilled from the hallway to the street. William desperately tried to gain Buffy’s attention and he pointedly stopped her passage to the door by standing in front of her.

“We need to talk Buffy,” he whispered.

“Do we, my Lord.” He winced at her tone. “I do believe you have said more than enough in my presence this evening.”

The coldness in her voice struck William to the core. He noticed the use of his title and immediately recognised it for the put down it was. He had royally fucked everything up and he did not know how to make it right.

The front door of the mansion closed slowly behind the two women. Clem turned a concerned face to his friend and with a nod of his head bid him back inside the carriage. They had been friends too long for Clem not to know that something serious was going on between Buffy and William. He would have the truth of it tonight.







AN* - Will I be evil and hold out for a few days on what Buffy will do? Naw – come back tomorrow, there will be something for all of you then.


Thank you so much for the reviews. It’s true what they say, they do compel you to write.