Chapter 24 – Confession


Once again I thank you all for reading, reviewing and for quite simply making me happy.

Enough of my ramblings – on with the story………….




Clem stared at William across the carriage. What the fuck was Will playing at? Lady Elizabeth Summers was, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful young women he had ever seen, yet this idiot opposite him wanted a black hearted bitch who had bedded half the ton. Was he mad? Had he started using opium? Was he too far inside the whiskey bottle to not see the treasure that was in his grasp?

Something terrible has happened tonight while Elizabeth and William had been gone. Of that Clem had no doubts. Elizabeth had returned to the drawing room alone and the look of anger on her face was undeniable. He wondered if his friend had tried to force the girl to have sex. Nothing would surprise him when it came to William’s behaviour.

“Right then, William,” Clem asked as he leaned forward to lay his forearms against his legs. “What the fuck happened tonight, and I want the truth man.”

William, who had been staring at a spot on the floor of the carriage, looked up at his friend.

“Quite simply, Clem, I fucked up.” William dropped his head once more to stare at the fascinating spot on the floor.

“What do you mean you fucked up?” Clem replied.

Lifting his head slowly, William stared at his friend for a few moments before turning his eyes to the window. He knew he had to tell Clem the whole, but it did not mean he was comfortable with the telling.

Slowly he recounted the events of evening. He told Clem of Buffy’s willingness to let him play with her and of her amazing orgasm. He told him of her declaration of love and how he had felt when she had said it. When it came to talking of his own debacle, he faltered. How do you explain screaming another woman’s name to high heaven while your fiancé was giving you one of the best hand jobs you had ever experienced in your life? This was humiliating.

Clem stared at his friend in disbelief.

“Are you seriously telling me that you screamed Drusilla’s name while the most beautiful woman I have ever seen is wanking you off. Are you fucking insane, Will.”

William turned his head from the window of the carriage and looked desperately at his friend.

“I don’t know how or why I did it Clem.” William could feel a dampness on his cheeks and realised he had started to weep. “I just know I would do anything to take it back.” He began to cry in earnest now as the full repercussions of his actions of his actions hit him hard.

“You stupid, fucking idiot” cried Clem in exasperation. “You were set up for life and you’ve thrown it all away for the rancid cunt of a woman who cares nothing for you. If I did not value our friendship so much, I would call you out for being such a fool.”

William continued to cry silently as the carriage wound its way back to his home.

“Do you think I don’t know this, Clem?” he asked. “I had all that beauty in my grasp and I was stupid enough to let it go.”

William looked appealingly at his friend.

“How can I make this right, Clem? I have to marry her. The notices have gone out and Craven has acquired St Paul’s. Christ man, he has asked the Archbishop himself to marry us.”

Clem could not help himself, he threw back his head and laughed uproariously.

“You have got to be joking, Will” he spat at his friend. “If word gets out that an innocent daughter of a Duke decided you were not good enough for her, your reputation will be tantamount to a heap of horse shit.”

William laughed sardonically. “I know this Clem. I know it too well.”

“If I were you Will, I would get myself home, clean myself up and get myself over to the Craven mansion early tomorrow morning. You need to get this sorted out with Elizabeth before any more harm is done.” Clem looked in anger at his friend. “And if I hear that you went back to that insane whore tonight to try and make it up with her, I swear to God there is nowhere you can hide where I would not find you.”

“Buffy, Clem, not Elizabeth” his friend replied. “To me she is just Buffy.”

Clem narrowed his eyes at his friend. He was sure that William had started to develop feelings for Elizabeth that went deep. At this moment William was confused over how he felt about Drusilla, after all they had been together for almost ten years. It was time to step in and help his friend out.

“Let’s go to White’s Will and get so far in our cups that we can’t get out. When we can drink no more I will make sure you go straight home. Go near that Angelus whore tonight William and I will end our friendship.”

Clem leaned forward menacingly.

“When we are done tonight, Will, I will come back in the morning to make sure you go to Buffy. I will accompany you to ensure your entrance as I believe that if you go there on your own, Buffy will refuse to speak to you.”

Leaning back against the squabs, Clem looked at his friend.

“Do I make myself clear, Whitmore?”

Wincing at his friends tone, William looked at his friend before replying.

“Let’s get pissed Clem. I have never needed the bottle as much as I do tonight.”

As the carriage drew closer to White’s in St James’, William again thought over his actions. How could he have been so stupid? Buffy would have been a wonderful wife, and he would have no qualms in bedding her.

Clem was still staring at him as if he had two heads, and he was desperate to get drunk. He needed the bottle just now and his heart was heavy with guilt.

Tomorrow, he determined, he would listen to what she had to say.

His only hope was that she did love him as she said. If he had killed her love, he did not know what he would do.