Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh my lovely reviewers - how I love you all
Chapter 26 – Home truths


AN* - Thanks again to all my reviewers


Go on – review please. You know you want to.





Lady Joyce had been through a bad night. The doctor had insisted that she did not have consumption as she was not wasting away. He believed that she might have an inflammation of the lungs which led to the bleeding in the vomit, but the amount was too small for worry.

Buffy breathed a sigh of relief. She knew that if her mother had contracted the dreadful disease they would become social outcasts. Everyone knew consumption was contagious and as soon as word got out that someone in a household had it, then no one from the ton visited.

She had slept badly, still going over the events of the previous evening in her head. Rising from her bed she called for Willow to prepare her bath. While the footmen carried the heavy pails of hot water to Buffy’s dressing room, Willow moved around her mistress’ bedroom tidying away her clothes of last night and setting out clothes for Buffy to wear that day.

“Have you plans for today Miss,” Willow asked.

Her head was loaded with plans, but not the sort Willow meant. Smiling to herself Buffy informed the young maid that she would be riding in the park later and to set out a nice outfit for the occasion. Glancing at the young red-head she motioned her head to the green velvet outfit she felt would be perfect for the outing with Clem.

“The green, I think Willow,” Buffy smiled at the young maid. “And I think I will wear the cream day dress with the little roses around the neck and hem.”

Willow bustled to get the clothes in order while supervising the filling of Buffy’s bath.

“Do you want me to help you bathe Miss?”

“Not today Willow. Although you could help me wash my hair before you leave. You know I have an awful trouble removing the soap on my own.”

Without embarrassment, Buffy removed her clothes. Willow had seen her naked almost every day of the two years she had been assigned to her and Buffy treated her almost like a friend. Willow could not dream of a better employer and would do anything for her.

Willow dropped a small curtsey to Buffy and moved behind the bath in order to wash her hair. Buffy’s hair was long and thick and golden and Willow loved to run her fingers through it. She enjoyed bathing her mistress. It always gave her a nice feeling between her legs. When Buffy allowed her to wash her all over her body, Willow felt the tingles even more. She wished sometimes that she did not have to use the sponge on her delicate skin and that her mistress would allow her to use her hands.

Putting such thoughts to the back of her mind, Willow prepared Buffy’s bath. The vanilla oil her mistress liked was laid to the side. She would rub that into Buffy’s hair once it had been rinsed.

Once Buffy’s hair was completely rinsed and squeaky clean, Willow bent to retrieve the oil.

“Leave it,” Buffy commanded. “I do not wish to use it today.”

Willow moved from her position on the floor and curtsied to Buffy as she left the room. Buffy waited until she heard the door to her bedroom close behind Willow before she continued to wash her body. Once she was sure every part of her was clean and fresh she stood up in the bath.

Time to get ready she thought as she stepped from the bath. William will not know what has hit him today. She had every intention of making him squirm. Knowing William’s character she believed he would accompany Clem to her home. In fact she counted on it.




Clem arrived at William’s home just after 10 that morning. Gaining entrance he asked the butler where William might be. Nodding to the breakfast parlour, the butler held out his hands for Clem’s great coat and hat.

“No need to announce me Smithers,” Clem nodded at the butler. “His Lordship is expecting me this morning.”

“As you wish sir. I will speak to cook and arrange some more coffee be brought in.”

Clem smiled at the man. “Why thank you Smithers, that would be most welcome”

The butler nodded his reply. He like this friend of Lord William’s very much indeed. He seemed to be able to calm his impetuous master down. For the first time in many months his young master had spent the full night in his own bed. The servants knew of their master’s habits and whom he kept company with. His proclivities were often discussed below stairs, especially the tales John Coachman could tell when he brought his master home from his paramour. Perhaps all would be well once he was married. On meeting the future Duchess the previous evening he had held the servant’s hall agog with tales of her beauty, grace and wonderful manners.

Turning to the cook he remarked, “Lord Telford is here to see the young master.”

“Do you think he would like something to break his fast?” the rotund cook asked while placing more ham on a skillet.

“He only asked for coffee Mrs Soames, but I think some of your excellent cooking would go down well.”

Mrs Soames smiled at the butler. “I will send one of the men up directly with some coffee and food.” She lifted her fingers to her numerous chins. “I’m sure there is some plum cake in the larder, Lord Telford used to be so fond of my plum cake.”

“Excellent idea, Mrs Soames” he smiled in reply. “Lord Telford will be pleased.”

Returning to her skillet, Mrs Soames turned the ham.



Once the servants had removed the covers on the additional breakfast offerings, William bade them away.

Clem rose from his chair and walked to the dresser to fill his plate. He noticed that Mrs Soames had included plum cake in the selection and he silently thanked the Gods that she remembered it was one of his favourites. Returning to his seat at the table with a full plate of ham and eggs, he sat down and poured himself a large cup of coffee.

“Would you like some Will?” Clem half stood from his seat ready to pour more coffee into William’s cup.

Smiling at his friend, William nodded his thanks and pushed the cup towards Clem.

Silence stretched between then as they both ate their fill. It was not until the third cup of coffee, an excellent accompaniment to Mrs Soames’ plum cake, that Clem decided to break the stalemate.

“Just how are you going to sort this out, Will?” Clem sat back in his seat to await William’s answer.”

“Truthfully Clem, I don’t know.” He lifted his cup to his lips and took a sip. “Christ, I could do with a brandy.”

Clem frowned at his friend, “Don’t think a brandy is what you need right now.”

“I know Clem.” William placed both hands on the table, either side of his empty plate. Staring down at the dirty plate in front of him, he shrugged. “I don’t know how to approach Buffy, or what to say.”

When William looked up, his friend was looking at him in pity. William winced inwardly at the look on Clem’s face and tried to smile.

Clem decided it was time to take the bull by the horns. “Are you willing to give up Drusilla, William? Because I tell you now, as one good friend to another, I see no other way out of this mess.”

“I can’t give her up, Clem.” William said in anguish. “I need her to survive.”

Sighing loudly he told his friend the only solution he could think of.

“Then you have to tell Buffy the truth William, and hope that she accepts her place in society as your wife, but not your love.”

William sat up straight. “I can’t do that Clem, it would hurt her and I don’t want to see her hurt.”

Flabbergasted at his friend’s outburst, Clem retorted.

“Oh! Is that right? And you think you did not hurt her by screaming your whore’s name in the throes of passion?” Clem was too angry at William to hold his comments back.

“Drusilla is not a whore, Clem.” William said angrily. “She just needs someone to care for her and love her.”

Disbelief and anger rolled over Clem. William was, without doubt, one of the most stupid fuck-ups he had ever met. He could not hold back his tongue.

“What do you think your precious Dru was up to last night while you were mucking up you future, eh?”

William took his time in answering his friend. “God only knows Clem. I think she would have waited for me to come and see her and make it right between us again.”

Clem stood up so quickly from his chair that it fell to the floor.

“I have had just about all I can take of your absolute stupidity. The woman told you herself that she has used you for years as her plaything, but you refuse to believe her. What hold does she have over you Will that you keep going back for more? The woman is an evil witch who has pulled you like a fly into her web of deceit and lies. If it was not for the fact that I happen to like and admire Lady Elizabeth, I would walk away from this friendship now.”

Anger rose quickly in William’s breast, and he stood to confront his friend.

“You know nothing of my relationship with Dru, Clem, so keep your mouth shut.”

“I know nothing of your relationship with Dru. Good God man, you have cried on my shoulder more than once when she has kept you out of her bed.” Anger made his tongue loose. “The whole fucking TON knows that you pine for her like a lapdog. She tells everyone of your devotion to her and she laughs at you William. She makes jokes of how she gets you to crawl on your knees for her affection. The woman is a viper clawing at your breast to suck more of your life’s blood. The whole fucking world can see it, why can’t you.”

William replied simply, “Because I love her, Clem. I love her so much it’s hard to breathe.”

“Jesus Christ, if that’s the case then I will not let you marry Elizabeth. I will not stand by and let you hurt her by continuing to see Dru.”

William looked sadly at his friend.

“I have already come to that conclusion, Clem. I am going to break off the engagement, or rather let her break it off, today.”

Clem stared at his friend for a few more seconds.

“Then we better get ourselves over to Craven’s and you can get this over with.”

With that statement hanging between them, they went on their way.