Author's Chapter Notes:
Vote, Vote Vote for me - if you do I will put up 10 chapters - please please please
Chapter 33 – Father and son


AN* Once again I am lost for words for all the wonderful reviews. I know I said this a few chapters back, but reviewing really does make my little fingers work faster. I am still astonished, and proud, that so many readers have at least opened my little tale.


This chapter is for Lindsey, my daughter’s friend from work, who loves this story. (Hope I spelled your name right babe)





William was bathing when the note arrived from Craven House. Lying in his sandalwood scented water, he had been thinking of his golden goddess and the pleasures of the night ahead. They had not danced a waltz together yet, and though she pretended that she did not want him, he knew that she was protecting her heart from him. Did her blame her? Not at all. Did he wish to see her? Most definitely. Did he wish her in his bed? Without a doubt. Would he be able to convince her that Drusilla was history? With difficulty, but he was willing to try. If the only way to hold her in his arms was to dance the waltz with her, he was more than willing to comply.

Rising from the bathwater, he wrapped up in the warm towels hanging near the grate. Drying his hands carefully before opening the note from Buffy, he could almost imagine the contents. She would cry off the visit to Almacks with some flimsy excuse. He did not really care for the ‘marriage mart’ as Almacks was known and would not feel too disappointed. Fully intending to visit with Buffy whatever the contents of the letter, he broke the seal and proceeded to read.

William scanned the contents quickly then slowly read the missive again. This was no idle excuse. The Duchess must indeed be gravely ill for Buffy to summon him to Craven House. He could not understand why she should wish Clem’s presence and a flare of jealousy speared his heart. It only lasted for a second when he realised the note of panic between the lines. Drying himself quickly he rang for his valet to help him dress. While waiting on him to arrive, William quickly penned a note to Clem to ask him to meet him at Craven House as soon as possible. He hoped Clem was at home and not with his mistress Faith whom, he was sure, his friend had not visited in some time.

Dressing quickly, he asked that his favourite horse be saddled and waiting. He would make sure he was at the Craven mansion as soon as possible. Disappointing Buffy was not an option. She wanted him there for a reason and he simply wanted to be with her.

Smithers held his greatcoat in both hands ready to fit it over his young master’s shoulders. As William adjusted the fit, his father emerged from the library. Looking at his son’s mode of dress, he frowned.

“Lady Jersey will not allow you into Almacks in that rig out, my boy. She turned away the Duke of Wellington for not wearing knee breeches, and he is England’s hero. Please do not tell me you are going somewhere else rather than accompany your fiancé?”

William turned towards his father and nodded his head towards the library. The Duke understood the unspoken command and preceded his son into the room. Once there, William showed his father Buffy’s note and explained his impatience to leave for Craven House.

Looking down at the note in his hand, Annandale spoke softly to his son.

“Joyce was a beautiful girl when she came out, William. Henry was lucky that they had been promised to each other almost from the cradle and did not even try to win her. I always thought that one day he would fall in love with her the way I loved your mother, but it was not to be. Craven does not like to be pushed into anything, and always resented the fact that he was not allowed to pick his own bride.” Annandale looked thoughtfully at his son as he continued. “Henry did his duty and got his heir on her, but he never gave her the love that her tender heart needed. She and your mother had their come out together and were great friends before we were married. Anne told me once that Joyce loved Henry very much and was the happiest woman alive on her wedding day. I doubt the man stayed faithful for longer than the bride trip.”

Annandale handed the note back to William before slowly turning his back on his son. As he looked into the fire burning in the grate, his soft voice drifted across the room.

“Do not hurt Buffy any more than you have to, William. She has a tender heart like her mother and if she has asked for your presence tonight it will be because she needs comfort and love. Lie to her if you must, but at least try and display some dignity in dealing with her.”

Staring at his father’s back for a few moments, William decided to put his father’s mind at rest.

“I love her very much, father.”

Annandale turned from the fire and his shocked look was not lost on his son.

“I have decided never to see Drusilla Angelus again. Buffy is everything I have ever wanted or needed and I promise you I will make her happy.”

His father’s look of shock turned to astonishment.

“When did you decide this, William? You have known each other less than a week.”

Smiling at his father, he asked “How long did it take you to fall in love with my mother, father?”

Annandale smiled his reply “The length of one dance at Almacks.” His eyes misted in remembrance. “I knew before the last chord of music that I had fallen in love once and forever. Your mother may not have been my first woman, William, but I made vows before God that she would be my last.”

William and his father shared a look of understanding before Annandale continued.

“If you love her as you say, William, then you must follow your heart and use all your charm and skill to make her stay at your side. You told me of your plans to move directly to the estates and that you would live on the dower estate while Buffy and her family live at Annandale. Make any excuse you can to live at Annandale my boy, even if you have to burn the dower house to the ground.”

Laughing at his father’s remarks, William reassured him.

“I had already decided on that course, father. I have sent word to the housekeeper at Annandale to prepare for our arrival, even to the point of which bedrooms are to be prepared. I have also sent word to the dower house to ensure that the place is not fit to live in by anything other than the farmyard cat. A small subterfuge, but hopefully one with a happy ending.”

His father laughed in return. “Go to your Buffy, William. Show her she can rely on your support through this.” Annandale’s face suddenly sobered in memory of the loss of his beloved wife. “If her mother is as bad as you think my boy, be prepared to be Buffy’s rock. All the Craven children are fond of their mother and this will be a huge blow if she dies. Craven will care not what happens to her as her role was to be the mother of his children and hostess to his friend’s wives. To be honest I doubt the bastard would move from his whore’s bed for a funeral.”

William was shocked at his father’s remarks. “Why do insist on this marriage when you dislike the man so much?”

“Why it’s quite simple, William” his father replied in a quiet voice. “Craven has two things this family needs. One is money and the other is one of the most beautiful daughters the ton can offer. You told me not five minutes ago that you loved her and have turned your back on Drusilla for her. Are you telling me now that I did not choose well for you?”

Taking a few seconds to consider his father’s arguments, William could not but agree that his father had indeed chosen the perfect bride for him.

The challenge now was to convince Buffy that this marriage could be built on love. With that thought in mind, William made his way to Craven House to offer comfort to his beloved.