Chapter 38 – Telling all


AN* It’s going to be hard to follow up on the last three chapters as they even got me hot, and I was writing them.

Once again I thank everyone for their reviews. I wish there was a way I could do an author response, but unfortunately I can’t. Please feel free to e-mail me if you want to speak to me. I check my hotmail most days so will respond as quickly as I can.


Remember – reviews make my fingers work faster.


Plot bunnies – this one is for you.






The Duke of Annandale arrived in time for breakfast with the Craven family. The Duke of Craven was conspicuous by his absence from the table and the house. Annandale knew exactly where the old roué would be and promised himself that he would talk to him about his actions soon. He was disgusted at Henry’s behaviour and worked hard to keep the disgust from his face.

The journey from his home to Craven House had been taken up by in internal debate. He had returned that insane whore’s missive unopened and he wondered if he should tell William she had written. He was sure that his son was in love with the beautiful Elizabeth and he did not want that witch’s interference at this stage in the betrothal.

Annandale had never understood the hold Drusilla Angelus had on his son, but he did realise that it went deep. Many times he had tried to persuade his son to stop the liaison, but to no avail. The only good thing was that she was still married to Liam Angelus and this had stopped her becoming the future Duchess. He thanked God for small mercies.

Giles had escorted Annandale to the breakfast parlour on his arrival, assuring him that he would be welcome to enjoy his repast with the family. On entering the parlour he was surprised to see his son partake heartily of the offerings on the sideboard. William stood as his father entered the room and strode confidently towards him. Shaking his hand and pulling his father towards him for a hug, William smiled with affection at the old man.

“I am so glad you decided to visit, father.”

Annandale, taken aback at his son’s actions, nodded his response. “You seem in good spirits, son. Is her Grace feeling better?”

A small frisson of guilt swept down William’s spine. His buoyant mood had nothing to do with Lady Joyce, but with her beautiful daughter and their night together. His body still tingled at the thought.

“I believe she felt well enough to join us for dinner last evening. However Buffy and Dawn thought she would feel better abed and ate with her in her chamber.”

The Duke looked askance at his son as Giles led him to the top of the table to sit. Refusing coffee or tea, he politely asked if both he and William could be left alone for a few minutes. Nodding to the Duke, Giles left the room.

“If you have anything to say, father, you will have to be quick. I expect Buffy to join me soon, and goodness knows where Clem and the whelp are. Young Dawn is probably with her mother and Craven, I believe, has some business in Chelsea.” William’s lips curled in disgust as he imparted his last statement.

Nodding his agreement as his son’s disgust, Annandale replied. “Yes, William. The old soak will be lying between his whore’s thighs as we sit here.” He looked down at his plate before he continued. “How can he do that to the duchess? A more gracious woman I have yet to meet. She must have the patience of a saint to put up with the old goat.”

William laughed at his father’s statement. He had to agree, her Grace had always treated him well and she was still a beautiful woman. Wondering if his father had developed a tendre for the Duchess, he felt it wise not to comment. Knowing the high moral standards his father lived by meant that whatever the old man felt for Lady Joyce would stay in his heart.

Looking at his father with a new eye, William wondered where his father found his release. His mother had been dead for fifteen years; surely the old man did not live like a monk. He must remember to ask him sometime.

Annandale heart warmed at how happy his son appeared to be. This had to be the influence of Elizabeth, and he was glad he had gone into this unholy alliance with Henry. Elizabeth would save his son.

“Why did Craven demand your presence, my boy?”

William gently laid his cutlery on the plate before imparting all that had happened the evening before. He explained to his father that skilled workers were on their way to Annandale as they spoke to start work on the house. Laughingly he told his father how the Duke was determined that a few of those new fangled water closets were to be installed for his family. No outside privies for the Cravens.

Smiling at his son, Annandale agreed. “Would certainly be an improvement, Will. Prefer to use a chamber pot myself and let the maids get rid of it.”

“I agree, father. It will be no hardship to have them installed I’m sure.” William sat back in his chair. “No running down to a stinking hole by the woodpile in the snow.”

Father and son were still laughing together when Clem entered the room. Startled at the sight of Annandale sitting at the head of the table, he stopped in his tracks and stared. He wondered, for a moment, if he was in the right house.

“Stop looking like a fish on a hook, Clem, and sit down.” Annandale commented.

Clem closed his mouth and made for the sideboard to choose his breakfast fare. Satisfied that his plate was full, he turned back to the dining table and sat. As he lifted a piece of ham to his mouth, Annandale addressed him.

“I may not have told you this before Telford, but I am glad that you are my son’s friend.”

Red faced, Clem stammered his reply. The Duke had never spoken to him with affection before.

“Why, thank you sir.”

Silence fell over the table as the three men ate with a hearty appetite. Clem looked over at his friend and wondered at the look of peace on his face. He had heard some strange sounds coming from his friend’s room during the night and was determined he would be asking William who was ‘Spike’. The only thing that stopped him entering his friend’s bed chamber and demand an explanation for his behaviour was the fact that he was certain it had been Buffy’s voice calling out “Spike”.

He needed to visit Faith today. He had been too long without the comfort she could bring. If William could have his time with a woman in the middle of his mess of a life, why should be do without.

Lady Dawn ran into the room with all the exuberance of a young girl in her fourteenth year. She smiled at all the men in the room before heading to the sideboard for breakfast. Sitting down she lifted the teapot on the table and poured some into her cup. Adding a spot of milk and three spoons of sugar she lifted the cup to her lips as she smiled again at her audience.

“Good Morning, gentlemen. Are you having a pleasant breakfast?”

William could not help but smile at her and nod. She was a miniature Buffy and this was enough to endear him to her. Coupled with her easy manners and beautiful smile, she would soon have the ton turning their heads. Glad that she would be joining them in Annandale, she would be good company for both Buffy and their mother. Annandale had been a happy place when his mother was alive. He hoped the arrival of his new family would bring it joy once more.

As the door opened to admit Buffy, William rose to his feet in an instant. The smile he bestowed on the beautiful woman before him was not lost on either his father or his friend. Lady Dawn rolled her eyes at the pair and carried on with her breakfast.

“Good morning, sweetheart.” William addressed his love.

“Good morning to you, Sp…William” she smiled shyly at her slip.

Clem picked up on it immediately. So it had been Buffy in William’s room last night. He must remember to ask William why she called him ‘Spike’.

As Buffy sat next to William, Annandale spoke.

“How is your dear mother this morning, Elizabeth?”

Buffy smiled warmly at the duke. She knew he, too, had been instrumental in the arrangement of this marriage and for his part in this affair she was sure she would never forgive him; yet he appeared to show more concern for her mother than her own husband. For that, she was grateful.

“I am late down this morning, your grace, as I have just come from her chamber. She is looking much better this morning. Her colour is a little high, but she has eaten some toast and strawberry preserve and drank two cups of coffee. I am most happy this morning.” Smiling wickedly at the duke, she continued. “I am almost part of the Annandale family, your grace; I insist you call me Buffy.”

Annandale truly liked this young woman. She had the look of her mother about her without the harshness of the Craven blood. She would suit William well.

Buffy, for her part, noticed the look of relief that passed over Annandale’s face and sought to reassure him further.

“My brother is sitting with her at the moment, sir, and is determined to keep her company until my father returns from business.”

He will have a long wait, thought Annandale, but wisely did not comment. He continued with breakfast and settled himself to watch the small telling glances which passed between his son and Buffy. He felt much ease at his decision to send the whore’s correspondence back to her. She would soon find a new plaything. Let her leave his son alone.





Impatient for breakfast to end, William sat back in his chair and watched his love eat. He wanted to spend time with Buffy alone and hoped Clem would entertain his father while he walked with his love. He hoped her conversation would not be too painful for her. It was obvious she wanted to discuss her mother’s health and her concerns. It would behove him to be there for her and to show his support and love. This was not a task he relished as he knew the pain of grief all too well.

William’s mother, Anne, had been the centre of his and his father’s world. She was so full of joy and life and the wasting disease which took her from them turned her into a shadow of herself. She died in a haze of laudanum to help take away the pain. Both he and his father had been devastated at the loss. For a young man away at Eton as he was, it had been a double blow. His mother had died at Annandale and by the time he could return home, she had been buried in the family vaults.

The biggest regret of his life had been not saying goodbye to his mother and William was determined that Buffy would never go through the same experience. He believed in his heart that something was seriously wrong with the duchess. It was the only explanation he could think of for the Duke’s sudden and inexplicable need to attend his wife’s every comfort. The duke was a total bastard and only thought of his own wants and needs. There had to be more than just a headache wrong with the duchess. William was sure his clever fiancé had worked this out, and wished to talk to him about it. His heart swelled at the trust she had in him.

Finally Buffy rose from the table and the gentlemen rose in her stead. Dropping a small curtsey, she turned to leave the room. William followed in her stead and taking hold of her hand as she approached the door he pulled it through his arm. Turning back to his father and Clem, he smiled as wished them well and asked Clem to inform his father of Craven’s plans.

Buffy led William through the conservatory to the garden. William drew her hand from his arm and enclosed it within his own. He wanted to touch her skin with his skin. Lifting their joined hands to his mouth he kissed her knuckles. Buffy smiled up at him and she took a quick look around to ensure they were alone before rising on the toes and kissing him. Dropping her hand immediately, William lifted both hands to her face and devoured her with his lips and tongue.

Heaven, he thought, I have died and gone to heaven. This woman was quickly becoming his world. Wondering how he had ever survived his life without her, he moved his hands to her hips and moved her closer to him.

She just could not help herself. This man had to be the best kisser in the world. His tongue was wickedly exploring her mouth as he wriggled her hips against his erection. Wondering if the man walked around in a permanent state of arousal, she pulled back from his mouth. His arms kept her close to him. It felt as though the only part of them not in contact was their mouths.

William closed his eyes and threw his head back as Buffy managed to wriggle just that little bit closer. She could bear it no more, she had to ask.

“Are you hard ALL the time, Spike?”

He did that thing with his tongue that she liked so much, and another part of the walls around her heart melted away.

“Only when I am near you, kitten.” Bending his head he kissed her passionately before continuing. “Or when I think of you.” He kissed her neck. “Or when I smell your scent.” He kissed her ear. “Or when I dream of shaving your gorgeous pussy.”

Buffy giggled in his arms, he really was insufferable. “Well you will have to ignore it for now, Spike. I really want to talk to you.”

William dropped his forehead to hers. “I know, sweetheart. Let’s find a nice seat somewhere and have a chat.” He loosened his hold on her back, and stepped away from her. Lifting his hand for her to take, he nodded his head indicating they find somewhere to sit.

Beneath the shadow of an oak tree, Buffy and William sat close together on a bench. Taking her hand in his and gently running his fingers over palm and wrist, he waited for her to start.

She sat for some time and said nothing. This was going to be hard, but she had no one else to talk to. She may not trust his fidelity, but she was sure that in his own way he did have deep feelings for her. With this in mind she began.

“I believe my mother is going to die soon, William.” When he started to protest she placed her free hand over his mouth. “Please say nothing until I am finished.” She kept her hands in place over his mouth until he nodded his acceptance. “Thank you, William.”

“She has been getting worse over the last few weeks. Last week we were all in the drawing room playing charades when she looked as though she had frozen. Not a part of her moved and her eyes were staring at nothing.” William held her hand tighter, he had not realised just how bad it was. He waited for her to continue.

Buffy was staring at the grass between her feet as she told her tale. “She suddenly blinked and it was as if she came back to life. The thing was that once she came back to us it took her a few moments to recognise who we were. That was very hard for Dawnie to take. She started to cry and cling to mother like a new born babe.”

Lifting her eyes from the grass, she stared at the shrubs growing beside the path. “The episodes have increased greatly, William. I don’t want her to die here alone and unloved. She has to come with us to Annandale.”

William gently let go of her hand and pulled her into his embrace.

“All the arrangements are in motion, kitten.” William spoke into her hair. “Clem and your brother have planned the route to Annandale with great care. Your father has handed over money to Xander and Clem to procure the best rooms in the best Inns on the route.” He held her closer and kissed her hair.

He smoothed his hand through her hair as much for his comfort as hers before continuing. “Your father has sent craftsmen from Craven Hall to make sure that any repairs to Annandale are made in time for our arrival.” He lifted her face to his and wiggled his eyebrows at her. “You father is determined that we have a few of those fancy indoor water closets you have here. I believe he said that no one from the House of Craven would use an outdoor privy.”

Buffy laughed at William’s wicked impersonation of her father in an imperious mood. She laughed even more when he continued.

“If I am honest, sweetheart, I was looking forward to following you to the privy in the middle of night and ravishing you by the woodpile.” A woe-begotten expression on his face, he turned to her and with a resigned sigh informed her politely. “Just have to fuck you in the bath then, pet.”

His work was done when he saw Buffy laughing so hard, she was gripping his arm to keep from falling from the bench. He could not tell her how much her revelations had saddened him. Part of him hoped they could bring this wedding forward and yet another part of knew that the more time the craftsmen were on the estate before their arrival the better.

Everything must be perfect for his wife and her family.