Chapter 39 – Loving Faith

AN* For Clem, because he is such a sweetheart and I enjoy him being a good guy.

Parts of this chapter were difficult for me to write as I am sure you will agree as you read on. However it is fundamental to the story to write about all aspects of the type of society Buffy and Spike currently inhabit in this story. Please bear with me and flame me if you want to for this chapter, but I just had to write it.






By the time William and Buffy returned from their walk, Clem had brought Annandale up to date with Craven’s plans. Xander had joined the men in the library when Dawn had relieved him at their mother’s side.

To say he was in shock at the amount Craven was willing to spend to ensure his wife’s comfort was an understatement. He was spending a veritable King’s Ransom just to ensure his wife died in comfort. There was no mistaking his motives now; Lady Joyce must be dying to bring about this attention from her spouse.

There was a part of Annandale’s heart that cried for his part in almost forcing William into this family. The rest of his heart felt good at the obvious love his son had developed for Buffy. They looked happy together and if he knew his son, William had already made love to Buffy.

Smiling at the couple as they entered the room hand in hand he stood up from his chair.

“I must be on my way William. I trust you have made plans for today?”

William looked at Clem for a moment, and turned his attention back to his father.

“Clem, Xander and I are heading to Tattersalls to look at some carriage horses for the move.” Noticing his father’s interest peak at the thought of picking good horseflesh, he invited him to join them.

Annandale paused for a moment and decided that he would indeed join the trio. It would be a good way to keep his eye on his son and make sure that only the best horseflesh carried his son’s salvation home.

“Indeed, William. I would be most pleased to join you.” Turning to the young Lord Summers, Annandale felt it his duty to give the boy his place. He may be young, but he was still the son of a Duke. “If you do not mind me tagging along, Xander. I happen to be quite a good judge of decent horseflesh.”

Xander smiled at the Duke and nodded his acceptance of help. His own knowledge of horseflesh was limited to hunters and he was willing to accept all the help he could. If the purchases proved acceptable it may go some way in proving that he was not as inept as his father constantly accused him of being.

Buffy smiled at the assembly. “Gentlemen, if you would excuse me I will leave you to your business. I still have to be fitted for my wedding gown and my modiste awaits my presence.” Glancing at the clock on the mantel, Buffy realised she was already late. “I am afraid I have to rush.” Turning to William, she lifted her hand to his face and stroked him gently. He pushed against her hand and smiled down at her. “Will you return for dinner tonight, William?”

Lifting her hand from her face, he enclosed it in both his own. “Try and stop me, kitten. I will return at eight tonight.”

Her smile lit the room before she departed. William was sure his heart stopped. This wonderful creature wanted him as much as he wanted her. He had never been so happy. He was still staring at the door when Clem addressed him.

“As your father will be going to Tattersalls with you and Xander, would you mind if I sloped off for a bit?”

William turned his head to look at his friend and nodded. “Of course, Clem. I sure you need to make a few calls of your own.” He lifted his eyebrow to his friend and gave him a comradely grin.

“Indeed, Will” he smiled back. “I will not be joining you for dinner this evening but will call on you at your father’s house on the morrow.”

With that promise said, Clem left Craven House.




Within the hour, Clem was lying in Faith’s arms. Sometimes he wished she was not the whore society made her out to be. She was the eldest daughter of the Earl of Avonbridge and had been cast out by her family when only sixteen. Her only crime had been to allow Lord Trenton to make love to her. The man had seduced her in her father’s home and when caught refused to marry her. He managed to convince her almost senile father that she had not been a virgin when he took her to his bed. This had been enough for her to end up on the streets.

Trenton had left Avonbridge with Faith in tow and used her as his whore for two years. He had beaten her, abused her and passed her around his friends while he watched. Clem had been at one of Trenton’s ‘parties’ one of the times he passed her round. At first Clem had thought she was a typical Haymarket whore until Trenton had bragged to the assembled men in the room how he had seduced her and trained her.

Their laughter still haunted him in the middle of the night.

Clem’s heart had bled for the girl on her knees sucking off each man in turn while others fucked her from behind, not caring which hole they used. At one point two of the men in the room dragged her to the middle of the floor and while one fucked her in the cunt the other fucked her in her arse. Her screams shattered his wits even now. He could still hear the slap of Trenton’s hand across her face and how quickly her screams had stopped.

It was at that point he knew he would buy her from Trenton. She had cost him five thousand pounds and his latest bay hunter, but he could not live with himself had he left her there. He had moved her into a small terraced house in Kensington and visited her often. It had taken him a year to get her to trust him enough to let him share her bed. If she had never allowed anyone near her again, he would not have been surprised.

He had not saved her from Trenton to be his mistress; he had saved her from Trenton to redeem his soul.

Until the night he found her he had been no better than Trenton. Not caring whom he ruined as long as he got a fuck out of it. He had taken at least five maiden’s virginities in his younger days and he, like Trenton, had bragged about his conquests. In the stupidest arrogance of youth he had truly believed that his behaviour was a rite of passage for someone with his breeding.

That was until he saw what his behaviour led the women to become.

From the day he set Faith free of Trenton he had been with no other woman. He loved her deeply and would like nothing more that to ask her to be his wife.

Trenton had realised that Clem had deep feelings for his ex-whore and made sure the whole ton knew of Faith’s past exploits in his home. The man had bragged to all who would listen of how he had beaten her senseless until she could suck a man into heaven. He told stories of the amount of men she could take in one night and exaggerated how much she enjoyed it.

The thought of what the man had done to her still turned his stomach.

There were nights the memories came back to her in sleep. Clem had spent many nights just holding her as she cried. Sometimes she cried for the loss of her family, and other times for the loss of her innocence to such a debauched and evil bastard.

Clem knew that Faith had been permanently damaged by Trenton’s behaviour. Sometimes her anger knew no bounds and she hit out at anyone in her path. He had taught her to fight her demons by showing her how to fight like a man. Often they sparred in the ballroom until she was spent and free of her ghosts.

It was his duty to protect her. He loved her.

Trenton had been dealt with years ago by a bullet through the head. He had been found on the doorstep of an address in Haymarket that no decent person should know. The runners had never found the culprit, but Clem suspected that he held the murderer against his heart most nights. He had never asked her if she had killed him, he truly did not care. The bastard had deserved to die, and if his love had been the murderer, then so be it.

His conscience pricked at him when he spoke of Faith to his friends. He was determined that she never be vulnerable to any of them again and often told stories of how much she cost him. It was usually enough to keep the hounds at bay, but it was a necessary evil. If he told the truth of how much she could love a man, they would be at her door in droves. He was not sure he could live if she left him for someone else.

She was his life.

Cuddling closer to his love, Clem was in heaven. He had not visited her in a week due to his dealings with Will’s love life. Well, he could deal with them on his own now. Love of a good woman was worth more than any friendship. William would understand. He knew the truth of Faith’s story and had always shown her the courtesy a Lady deserved. For that fact alone, Clem had kept their friendship going, even when William had exasperated him enough to punch him out.

Faith woke and looked at the man giving her solace. She knew he loved her, but theirs was a doomed love. Every day she had to take precautions to make sure she did not carry his bastard, and it almost killed her. The love of a child at her breast was all she wanted from life now. It would make up for the life she had been forced to lead.

“Hello my angel,” Clem whispered. “Would you like something to eat?”

Smiling back at him, Faith wriggled closer. “I know what would make a good luncheon, Clem.”

Clem let his arms drop to his sides as she moved down to his dick and mouthed it into life. She sucked him to completion within minutes and smiled at her lover’s satiated smile.

“I need a little snack too, sweetling” and with that comment Clem returned the favour. Until Faith had met Clem, no man had ever gone down on her. She had been trained to give pleasure, not receive it. He was such a generous lover and her heart melted whenever he touched her.

They lay next to each other in bed. Clem turned towards her and started to tell her the events of the past week that had kept him from her side. She sighed in relief when he had completed the tale. When he had sent her the letter saying he was busy and to pick a bauble, she was sure he had been ready to turn her off. Frightened that she would be on the streets she had contemplated swallowing a bottle of laudanum. She did not think she could survive without Clem at her side.

She had turned towards Clem during his ramblings and started to listen intently when he described how William had decided to never see Drusilla Angelus again.

Faith stiffened and stared at Clem before she asked. “Are you talking of Liam Angelus’ wife, Clem?”

“Why yes, my love. Surely I have mentioned her to you before.” Clem answered with concern in his voice.

“Of course you have, Clem, but you always called her Dru or Drusilla. Today is the first time you told me her full name.”

Clem’s concern knew no bounds as Faith started to shake in his arms. “What is it, Faith? Why are you shaking?”

Faith turned on to her back and stared at the canopy over the bed. Clem never asked her any questions about her life with Trenton, not even his death. She knew that he was convinced she had killed him, and he would be right. It was time to tell him a story. In a small voice he had never heard her use before, she told him her tale.

“Liam Angelus is the most perverted bastard I have ever met in my life. One night Trenton handed me over to both him and his wife. I never knew her name, but he made sure I knew his. Between them they used me for hours. That black bitch made me lick her while he stuck part of a wooden broom handle into me. I can still hear her call him ‘Daddy’ as she encouraged him to hurt me. He had brought a horse whip and used it on me for what seemed like hours. She laughed and laughed as I cried out in pain. When he was tired of hitting me he turned the whip on her. She screamed for more, Clem. As the blood was pouring down her back from his lash, she screamed for more.”

Clem pulled her into his arms, sickened at her tale. She turned her back to him and let him snuggle from behind. She was not ready to face him yet.

“They tied me to the bed, Clem. He almost bit my nipples off and that black hearted bitch cheered. I was bleeding everywhere. He had rammed that damn pole into me so hard I bled down there for days. His wife sat on my face until I thought I would suffocate and made me stick my tongue in her arse. Then she lay on top of me while he fucked her hard. They tried to make me play with myself while they fucked and when I told them I was too sore. Their punishment was to tie me spread-eagled face down on the bed. Angelus then whipped my pussy till it was ripped to shreds.”

Too shocked to say anything, Clem moved closer to her and tightened his arms around her.

“You don’t need to tell me any more, Faith, unless you want to.”

“Oh I think you should hear the rest, Clem.” Faith’s body started to shake at the memory of that night. “When they returned me to Trenton he started to shout at Angelus for the state I was in. It was not jealousy it was because I would out of commission till I healed. I took over a month to heal, Clem and Trenton told me that as they had not damaged my mouth I would need to make sure I used it more to pleasure him and his friends. Sometimes, when he was drunk, he forgot I was cut up and pounded into me anyway. I have never felt pain like it.”

Crying in earnest now, Clem could think of nothing to console her.

“You must warn William, Clem. If that black whore wants him she will do anything to keep him. Angelus does not care who she fucks as long as he can go back to his tart in Ireland. I know this because I heard him tell her that she was not as good a ride as Darla and she would need to learn better tricks to please him. She told him he could have Darla as long as she stayed in London to play with her puppy. With what you have told me today, Clem I now know she was talking about William.”

Suddenly she turned in the bed and faced him. She lifted her hands to his face and used all her strength to hold him as she stared hard at him. “Do whatever it takes to keep Will away from them, Clem. Trenton was a tame kitchen cat compared to that evil fucker.”

Clem was shocked beyond belief as her story. He knew she had been abused badly during her time with Trenton and he had always believed the lash marks on her back had been done by his hand. He could not help but ask.

“Faith, the marks on your back, were they the work of Angelus.”

“Oh yes, Clem. The bastard marked me good.”

Clem pulled her towards him and held her close. “I swear on my life, Faith, no one will ever hit you again.”

Faith felt his heartbeat beneath her ear and knew he meant it.