Chapter 45 – Before the ball.


William had settled well into his room at Craven House. True to his word, the duke had hardly appeared in his home since the altercation with Buffy. It had been a week since his last appearance, and both Joyce and Buffy and bloomed without his presence.

The duchess, now well aware that her errant husband had a mistress in Chelsea, threw herself into the wedding plans. Annandale was constantly at her side helping her plan and urging her to rest. William suspected that his father’s tendre for Joyce was deepening, but he said naught to his father on the subject. Let the man have his fun. Joyce was still a beautiful woman and her husband had shown her little affection over the years. She deserved a little flirtation and attention.

Over the last week, William and Joyce had shared long cosy chats while Buffy and Dawn were at the modiste in Bond Street. They had talked of the up-coming marriage, and the plans for moving north. Joyce had confessed to him of her slight trepidation about the length of time it would take to remove their party to Annandale, but William had assured her all would be well. Clem and Xander had not yet returned from making the arrangements, but William was confident that the two men would return in the next few days.

Buffy and William had attended balls and routs almost every evening. Their presence as a loving couple had become firmly established within ton circles, and it had not gone un-noticed that William would scowl at men asking his fiancé for a dance. Half the men envied him his beautiful fiancé, while the other half wondered how long it would be before he bored of her and she would be available.

Dawn and William had built a relationship based on teasing. He enjoyed her company and because Buffy loved her, he loved her too. She was full of fun and he loved the way she would blush when he called her his ‘little bit’. He would often take Dawn and Buffy for rides in the park in the afternoons while their mother rested or took tea with his father. When the butler, Giles, had started to address him as though he were the master of the house and not a guest, William knew he had been accepted by the Craven household.

How quickly domestic bliss could take over one’s will, and leave one content. William had started to look forward to going home to Annandale with his extended little family. He imagined long wonderful days content with the company of his three favourite girls, and even longer nights with his beloved Buffy. She had not visited him since the morning she helped him bathe and they had never been alone since. They had shared little more than chaste kisses and it was driving him insane. He needed her to be with him soon, even if all she allowed was him to hold her.

There was one dark cloud over their happy family and that was Drusilla. She had written him three missives during his stay at Craven House and each had been returned unopened. He was determined to keep his promise to Buffy and have nothing more to do with her, but they had been together a long time and there were still occasions when he thought of the delights of his dark princess. When these thought passed through his mind, he forced them away by thinking of Buffy and her golden light.

Tonight was the night of the Betrothal Ball. Buffy, Dawn and Joyce had been fitted with new gowns for the occasion. Even William and Annandale had taken a trip or two to their tailor to be fitted for the event. The ballroom had been cleaned to within an inch of its life and the kitchens had been busy preparing food for the event. Giles had ensured that the cellars were well stocked, and a varied selection of wines and champagne had been chosen for the guests.

Joyce had been in her element making all the arrangements. William had been impressed with her abilities and realised that these talents had kept the duchess by her husband’s side. Craven had obviously left all these types of dealings to his wife in the past, and considering the amount of times the Craven’s entertained he must have been confident in her skills. Part of him bristled that all she had ever been to him was a decorative ornament who could organise a suitable social life. The man clearly cared nothing for her and he felt great sympathy for her position in this damned household. She would fare well in Annandale, of that he was certain.

Joyce’s health had continued to improve steadily. A new physician, Professor McGregor, had been appointed by Annandale and the man had quickly pin-pointed the reason for her malady. Her Grace, he had proclaimed with severity, was suffering from slight fits caused by some blockages in the brain. He had recommended little excitement, subdued lighting in all the chambers and the use of lavender water in her bath.

Buffy had cried for a long time when McGregor had left. She had rejected William when he tried to console her and accepted the arms of his father. Later when they had chance to speak, she explained that she had hugged Annandale for bringing McGregor into the household. She was not happy that her mother was so unwell, but she had been happy to at last learn the truth. It became clear that the quack her father had employed had known the truth of their mother’s condition but had chosen not to treat her with anything other than laudanum and bleeding.

It was yet another sin to lay at her father’s door. The man she had respected and adored for most of her life was fast becoming her enemy. William knew exactly how she felt and his hatred of the man had increased tenfold at her distress.

Craven was expected to attend this evening’s ball. It would not send a good message to the ton if he did not appear and the household had been on tenterhooks all day awaiting his arrival. He had sent word that he would be return at six of the clock, and he expected his rooms to be available and his bath ready. The Duke’s valet had arrived at the house earlier in the day to prepare his Grace’s attire for the evening. The man felt uncomfortable back in the Craven mansion and had been quizzed for a considerable length of time by some of the servants. All had been curious as to the whereabouts of their missing master.

By four that afternoon, all the women had retired to their chambers to prepare for the evening. William and his father were sitting discussing the progress of the wedding preparations when the drawing room door entered to admit Clem and Xander.

William beamed a smiled at his friend and they hugged each other in welcome. Annandale rose from his chair and greeted Xander warmly. He was sure the young man had been brow-beaten for years by his bastard of a father, and the young man needed all the confidence building he could get. He doubted the youngster had many friends and he was sure that William would be able to bring him out of his shell. It was a pity he would be returning to Oxford after the wedding and he decided that a time at Annandale would suit the young man well. Annandale decided that he would invite Xander to his home soon.

The drawing room became a hive of activity as William rang for brandy to warm them all. Giles entered soberly and had carefully poured each man a glass. He was taken aback when Annandale asked them to join them in a toast to the successful return of Xander and Clem. At his startled expression, Annandale had risen from his chair and drew the man aside.

“We both know how much you love the women of this house, Giles. I am trying to show you how much my son and I appreciate all you do for them.” At the startled look on the butler’s face, Annandale continued. “They will have a good life with my son, Giles. He loves them all very much and cannot wait to remove them from Craven’s influence.” Turning back for a moment to look at the camaraderie so obviously enjoyed by the three men, he continued. “As soon as we get settled in Annandale we will send for his young Lordship. William and I will take him in hand and make sure he learns all he needs to know to become a good Duke.”

Giles looked at the duke for a long time. This man had soared in his estimation in the time he had lived in the house. He had treated all the servants with inherent respect and they had loved him for it. It was no secret below stairs that he worshipped the duchess, but as one they believed she deserved some happiness after the coldness of Craven. Too many times a servant girl had been turned from the house due her state of pregnancy thanks to Craven’s attentions. On more than one occasion a physician had been sent for to clean up the wounds the man had left on their skin. Craven might be his employer, it did not mean he had to like the man.

“I would be honoured, your grace.” Giles eventually stammered in reply.

Annandale smiled at the retainer. “Good, I am pleased. You must also inform us of the arrangements you have made to transport all your mistress’s belongings to the estate.”

All five men stood around the fireplace sipping the best brandy that Craven’s cellars could provide. William was eager to hear of the success of the trip and he also wanted to know the progress of the work on the house.

“Clem, tell me how the trip has gone” he asked of his friend.

Clem smiled at William. He had never seen him look so content and wondered if he knew how much his happiness meant to him. After Faith’s confessions he had been fearful that William would still seek out Dru for his pleasure, but he had no doubt that the woman had been turned away. With gladness in his heart, he replied.

“All is well, Will. Xander and I have procured rooms at inns for the full journey. We have calculated that it will take five days if you travel slowly and maybe four days if you have good weather and roads. The horses are well stabled and will be fresh each day.”

Both Annandale and William beamed at Xander and Clem.

“This is indeed good news.” Annandale answered for himself and his son. “And the repairs to the house, Clem, do they progress well?”

Clem allowed Xander to answer this question. He had been impressed with the young man’s knowledge of construction once they had arrived at Annandale and had happily left the supervision of the work to him.

“The house is almost complete, your grace” Xander informed Annandale. “The repairs to the roof had been managed before we arrived and there have been armies of cleaners and painters in the house for the last week preparing for your arrival. The workmen from Craven Hall had been given leave by my father to employ as many men as it would take to complete the work, and you will be pleased to know that the house now boasts four new water closets.”

Xander’s heart swelled at the look of approval on the duke’s face. He had never seen his father look at him in such a way and he proudly continued.

“Unfortunately, the garden is still in a state of flux. New drains had to be dug to accommodate the closets and these were not quite complete when we left. I have been assured that all will be well when William arrives, however I think the garden will need a lot of work once they are done.”

“I don’t really care about the gardens, lad, as long as the house is ready for your mother.” Annandale smiled his approval at the young man. “I will personally make sure you father knows of the work you have put in on this, Xander, and I thank you for all you have done.”

Turning to Giles, Annandale enquired. “Are the arrangements in hand to transport the ladies requirements, Giles?”

Flushed slightly from the brandy, Giles replied “Indeed, sir. The trunks were dispatched eight days since by canal boat. I had been assured they would arrive in two days.”

Clem interrupted the conversation between Annandale and Giles to inform them that the trunks and furniture had indeed arrived and were in storage in the house while the work continued.

“This is indeed good news gentlemen. Another brandy I think for all before we go our separate ways. We need to get ready for the ball this evening.”

Giles resumed his duties once more and filled the brandy glasses with the amber liquid. All in the room drank to the successful outcome of their tasks, and each looked forward to their evening.

William looked forward to it most of all. He was determined that he and Buffy would be alone at some point in the evening, and would suggest she visit him tonight after the ball.

Soon all the men took their leave of each other. They would meet again in but a few hours. Before he departed, Clem took William aside.

“I need to speak to you soon, Will. I think there may be trouble brewing on the horizon for you.”

Intrigued by his statement, William bristled with curiosity. “How thrilling you make it sound, Clem, but it will have to wait. I have a fiancé to escort tonight and I have not seen her all day.”

Shaking his head at his friend’s denial, Clem replied. “As you wish, Will. But we need to talk soon. I will return tomorrow morning and we can discuss things then.”

Laughing at his friend, William smiled as he clapped Clem on the shoulder. “Make it the afternoon, my friend. I do not intend to be asleep until the early hours.”

Clem understood his intentions immediately and frowned. “You are careful with Buffy, Will?” he asked.

“So careful, Clem, that she is still intact and will remain that way until the wedding.” William smiled at his friend once more. “Well at least that is what we intend, but it’s getting harder for both of us.”

“Treat her right, Will. She is not a whore to be played with and discarded.”

At the look of fury on William’s face, Clem stepped back.

“She will NEVER be my whore, Clem. She will always be my wife.”

Comprehension dawned on Clem. “You really do love her, don’t you Will?” he asked.

William calmed down immediately when he realised his friend’s concern had been about his old reputation.

“With all my heart, Clem.” He told his friend as he escorted him from the room.