Chapter 47 – The Betrothal Ball



The outside of Craven House was festooned with lanterns. Carriages were lined around the square as people jostled for entrance. It had been rumoured that the Prince Regent himself would be in attendance, and whether you loved him or hated him it added to one’s countenance to be seen in his company.

The Duke and Duchess of Craven, accompanied by William and his father stood in a receiving line waiting to greet the guests. As each dignatery arrived, William was over-whelmed by just how many people answered the call of a Duke. His father lived simply and did not use his title quite as blatantly as Craven, and he was amazed at how many of the ton Craven regarded as friends.

The family stood like statues for over an hour receiving guests. For the first time Buffy appreciated just how tiresome it could be on a host when a guest was late. Etiquette demanded they stand in line until the appearance of the Prince, and she was glad when he finally made an appearance.

Once prinny was announced to the ballroom, the little family line broke up. Joyce and Dawn made their way to a sofa which had been reserved for them near a window. The idea of allowing Joyce to sit out the proceedings had come from Annandale and had been received with thanks from Joyce. He did not wish her to become unwell during the festivities.

Craven could not have cared less where his wife sat. He was too busy toadying to the Prince and his friends. Joyce could have been sitting on the moon for all he noticed or cared.

William and Buffy toured the room nodding their thanks to the congratulations heaped upon them. The ball was sure to be a resounding success and when the orchestra started to play, Buffy and William took the floor. They waltzed round the room as if they had done this all their lives. Some of the women present looked at the couple in envy at their obvious passion. The women who had lain with William knew what an excellent lover the young chit would soon have and envied her even more.

Latecomers were still arriving as William and Buffy finished their dance. Giles had been announcing new arrivals for what seemed like hours since Buffy and William had left the floor. They had gravitated towards her grace’s sofa, when Giles announced from the ballroom doors.

“Lady Drusilla Angelus”

A collective hush went around the room as the woman entered. Her reputation as a seducer of husbands was well known to the many wives in the room. Many wondered how she had procured an invitation to such a prestigious event. She had received the cut direct from the whole ton long since. Only someone mad dared to show their face in society again after such a blatant insult.

William and Buffy had been holding hands whispering to one another when Drusilla was announced. They dropped their hands and collectively turned their heads towards the entrance of the ballroom. William’s mouth had dropped in surprise, Buffy’s look of anger was visible to all in the room, Annandale was ready to kill the bitch and Craven was laughing his head off in the corner of the room.

Everyone, including the prince, watched Drusilla as she approached the betrothed couple.

Staring directly at William, she pouted. “You did not send your princess an invitation to your party, William. It was just as well that sunshine’s daddy noticed the over-sight and sent me one instead.” Drusilla turned her head in Buffy’s direction with a smile of pure malice. “Let me congratulate you on your engagement, my Lady. I am sure it will be a most interesting marriage especially when there will be three of us in it.”

Buffy was ready to kill. How dare this woman ruin her ball and how dare her father reap his revenge by inviting her. If she was ever in any doubt about her father’s feelings for her as a daughter, then there was no doubt now. The man must hate her with a passion to embarrass her in this way. To humiliate her in front of everyone including the Prince of Wales was outside of enough.

Inside her head the word ‘whore’ twirled round and round as a mantra. She would be out of London within a fortnight, what did she care what the ton thought of her actions. If there were no guests at the wedding it would not be an issue. She would marry William with only witnesses present if need be. This harlot would never have him again.

“Three of us, Lady Drusilla?” she asked sweetly. “I do not see how that can be. A marriage binds two people together for the rest of their lives. Until I bear my husband’s heir, there will be but two of us in this marriage.” She glared at Drusilla with all the fury in her heart before she continued. “Have your come here alone my Lady, or did your husband accompany you?”

Drusilla’s face clouded in fury. How dare this chit, barely out of the schoolroom, lecture her on how a marriage should be? Her marriage to Angelus was not the issue here; she had come to take William home. She needed her dark prince to act in her plays. It was no fun without him, and the new players did not know how to perform. He was devoted to her and always would be. This chit could not take him from her, she had too much light and William needed the dark.

William was frozen to the spot. He could not believe that his golden goddess was bandying words with Dru. He had heard what she had said about her invitation coming from Craven and he lifted his eyes from the two women and searched the room for him. He quickly found him in a corner laughing so hard there were tears in his eyes. At this moment, William dearly wanted to kill him.

Xander and Clem realised in the same moment that they had to get this woman out of the room. Xander knew Buffy’s temper well and he would not be surprised if she hit the woman in front of all the guests. He had to get the woman out of the mansion immediately before the walls ran with her blood. If Buffy did not kill her, then it would be William if his face gave any indication of how he was feeling. As both men made their way to the two women, Buffy’s voice resounded in the room.

“Get out of my home you twisted whore. Remove yourself from my sight before I remove you myself. You think you can walk in here and walk out with my fiancé? Well, think again. I know exactly what you are and your presence is required by no one in this room.”

Drusilla felt the hands of both Xander and Clem take her arms. She would have her revenge on Little Miss Sunshine before she left this room.

“Why Xander, how nice to see you again” she cooed at the young man. “Do you wish to accompany me home and we can talk about old times.” Turning her head towards Clem, she continued. “And Lord Telford, you have never been to one of my tea parties, I’m sure Miss Edith would like to meet you.”

William had taken all he could take; turning to his friends he spoke with venom. “Get this bitch out of here before I slap her. Make sure she realises that I never want to set eyes on her again in this lifetime or any other.” He turned angry eyes on Dru.

“You will never speak to Buffy or I again. If I see you anywhere near Buffy again, I will take matters into my own hands. You are nothing to me, Lady Drusilla, and I ask you to leave.”

Xander and Clem were dragging the woman away from the couple as she roared to the assembly.

“You will return to me William. Once you have had your taste of sunshine you will come back to the dark with me. She will never give you what you need.”

There was a collective gasp around the room as the Prince of Wales walked up to the men dragging Drusilla from the room.

“When your husband returns from Ireland, madam, I shall ensure he hears of this behaviour.”

Incensed beyond belief, Drusilla laughed in his face.

“Tell Liam all you like, George, for I will tell him how you could not get it up no matter how hard I sucked.”

No one spoke to the Prince of Wales in such a manner, whether it be private or public. This woman would rue the day she had embarrassed him in front of this amount of people.

“I do believe you to be quite mad my dear lady. I think we should send a man to Bedlam to let them know a new patient will be joining them this evening.

Drusilla started to twist and scream in the arms of the jailers. Neither Clem nor Xander loosed their hold on the woman but mania made Drusilla strong and soon she was free. She ran towards Buffy with claws outstretched ready to maim.

Buffy watched her approach dispassionately. This woman had proved herself to be mad in front of most of the ton. No one would revile her for protecting herself and the thought of hitting this woman satisfied her immensely.

She did not get the chance. William stepped in front of Buffy and caught Dru by the arms. Several of the Prince’s men stepped forward to help restrain her and soon she was carried from the room screaming William’s name.