Chapter 48 - A New Inmate



Xander, Clem and two aides of the prince fought with Drusilla all the way to the Bethlem Royal Hospital. Called Bedlam by many, the hospital had been founded in 1247 and was famous in London for its mad inmates. It relied on charity donations from members of the ton for funds, and as such many inmates came from its families. Many a raped chambermaid who spoke out against her accuser found herself within the walls, eventually driven mad by the company they kept.

It was this credo which allowed the governors of the hospital to admit the Lady Drusilla Angelus so late in the evening. An official request from the Prince of Wales himself left them in no doubt that the woman struggling with the men on the doorstep was mad. Their suspicions were confirmed when the woman spat and cursed at her escorts. Clawing at them with sharp nails and screaming for someone called William, the governors escorted their new inmate inside.

That the woman needed restrained was never in doubt. She was handed over to burly porters who lifted Drusilla from the floor and carried her to the restraining room. It took four men to hold her down as the ropes were wrapped around her. Her screaming for William could be heard throughout the halls and many inmates answered her calls by screaming in return. Gagged and tied to a cot, she was left behind a locked door.

Returning to the gentlemen in the foyer, the admissions clerk asked for some details of the new inmate. Clem stepped forward and volunteered the information. Noting the new inmate’s name and direction, the clerk added the word ‘mania’ to the admissions book. Turning to all the gentlemen present he enquired of the circumstances that had may have caused such an attack of mania.

Clem decided not to relay all that had happened that evening, but he had to say something which would allow her to stay in Bedlam.

“The lady has always been slightly touched in the head, my man. Tonight however something must have pushed her over the edge to insanity. She was found wandering around Berkeley Square screeching and calling for some ‘William’. The Prince of Wales was attending a betrothal ball at Craven House when she attacked him as he left his carriage. Luckily these gentlemen and I were able to witness the scene and removed her before she could harm the Regent.”

The clerk looked at Clem warily, “Yet you know her name and direction, my lord?” he questioned softly. “Is William the name of the Lady’s husband perchance?”

Clem smiled at the clerk before replying. “Her husband is Lord Liam Angelus and he is currently in Ireland. I will be calling at his home when I leave to inform the staff of their mistress’ direction. They will contact him and let him know the circumstances.”

Nodding his head, the clerk continued writing in the admissions book. “Do you have money to pay for her keep here, Sir? We are but a poor hospital and funds are always a problem.”

Clem could not but admire the resourcefulness of the little clerk. Reaching into his pocket, he drew forth a roll of soft. Xander followed his example as did the aides. Between them one hundred pounds was added to the Bedlam coffers.

The clerk smiled at the money, and thanked them for their generosity. Such an amount was almost unheard of, unless someone needed to be hidden. For this amount of funding the ton could hide whomever they wished. Bedlam would provide all the care Lady Drusilla required.

Lord Kirkbride, one of the aides to the prince, took the clerk aside.

“Do not display her as you do others. No matter what is wrong with her mind, she is still a Lady and I am sure you will treat her as such.”

The clerk looked at the imposing Lord for but a few seconds. Bedlam made money from displaying their inmates to the ton and the addition of one of its own would certainly improve custom. The loss of potential income to the hospital was the man’s first concern.

“We display only to ensure continued funding, my Lord. I am sure if funds were made available for her care she need not be displayed.”

Kirkbride was taken aback at the man’s attitude, but could not fault his sense of business.

“Would a sum of ten pounds per week ensure her care?”

Smiling at the Lord, the clerk replied. “It would indeed, my Lord. We like our donations prompt on a Thursday as we have viewings every Friday. I am sure you understand me, my Lord.”

“Indeed. There will be ten pounds sent every Thursday until her husband returns from Ireland. She will become his responsibility thereafter.”

“Thank you, my Lord for your kind donation to our humble hospital.”

Weasel, thought Kirkbride, but it was the best option open to all of them.

Xander, desperate to leave, spoke to the assembled group. “I think our business is done here, gentlemen. I am anxious to return to my sister and we have been detained long enough.” Turning to the clerk, Xander thanked him profusely before the little group left.

Once inside the carriage, Kirkbride spoke.

“What the fuck was the woman thinking to speak to prinny like that? My God, she was lucky he didn’t have her marched to the tower for her mouth. She has always been a menace and should have been in Bedlam years ago.”

Clem could do nothing but agree. “William finished with her when he met Buffy. She has not taken it well.”

Kirkbride laughed. “Now there is an understatement if ever I heard one. Christ Almighty, he has been her fucking lapdog for years. There was talk in the ton that he would still see her once he married the Summers chit.”

Xander bristled in the corner of the carriage. “The Summers chit happens to be my sister, Kirkbride, and I will not have her maligned in public.”

“Calm down, Xander.” Kirkbride soothed. “It is a testament to her charms that she managed to woo William from the termagant. I meant no offence, in fact I wish to compliment. The marriage is clearly a love match and I wish them happy.”

Sitting back in the squabs, Xander pushed down his irritation at Kirkbride. Had he, himself, not accused Whitmore of the very same thing at the beginning of the engagement? He could not lambaste other members of the ton for thinking along the same lines.

“Angelus will not take this well.” Clem commented to the assembled group. “The man has a vicious streak a mile wide. Luckily it will take some time for word to reach him of Drusilla’s admittance to Bedlam. Let’s hope William and Buffy are long gone from London before his return.”

General murmurs of agreement resounded in the carriage.



Drusilla lay in her small room tied to her cot. She did not mind the bindings as they reminded her of what Liam did to her when she was bad. The uncomfortable part was the gag in her mouth. She could not tell her new friends her pretty stories, or talk to Miss Edith, when they had put the cloth between her teeth.

Liam would come for her soon. Word had reached her before she left tonight that he would soon be with her. He wanted to go and see her William marry in the big church, and she would get to play with him again.

Thoughts of William and his rejection of her flew into her mind. He did not mean it; he had only said those bad things to stop sunshine from hitting her.

Bad, naughty sunshine. She needed a lesson. Daddy was very good at giving lessons. He would give sunshine a lesson she would never forget.