Chapter 49 Back to the Ball




The four men returned to Craven House in a sombre mood. None felt guilt over the incarceration of Drusilla, in fact in Clem’s mind all he felt was relief. If William had really wanted Drusilla, he would have left with her then. His main concern was the return of Angelus. When the men had informed the servants where their mistress was, they had been told that they expected their master back within the week.

Clem wondered if there was any way that William and Buffy would bring forward their wedding and get out of London before the bastard’s return. It would be well nigh impossible considering the status of both families. If they brought the wedding forward the tabbies would be counting the months till the birth of the first child. The couple would never be able to show their face in London again.

As the foursome entered the ballroom the first thing they noticed was the gaiety. Obviously the incident had been put down to a mad woman’s ramblings and with prinny present the mood had become jovial again. Noticing Kirkbride whispering in prinny’s ear, he could imagine the success of their task was relayed in all its detail. He would have to catch William up on events later.

Spying William and Buffy waltzing round the room, he smiled. His friend was looking at Buffy as if she was the most precious thing on earth and it gladdened his heart. He knew that both Annandale and William had been living at Craven House for over a week, and it was clear in that time William had fallen in deeply in love.

Neither Buffy nor William noticed the return of the men. They were so wrapped up in one another that it was plain to everyone that nothing mattered but them. They whispered softly to one another on the dance floor and more than one matron fanned themselves at the sight. A love match in the ton was so rare, it was startling to see.

Annandale, Clem noticed, was standing not far from her grace. Every so often his gaze would linger on the duchess and small smile seemed to form on his lips. Clem wondered just how much had transpired in his absence.

Finally the waltz ended and William and Buffy returned to their place beside the duchess. Clem walked casually through the throng until he was at their side. A scowl passed over William’s face, and Clem wondered at the cause. Surely he had not been wrong in removing Drusilla from the ball. Even William would not go up against the Prince of Wales.

“Clem, I think you and I should talk.”

Lifting one eyebrow sardonically as he surveyed his friend, he replied “Indeed, Will. And I think now may be a good time. They have just called for supper and we can retire to Craven’s Library for a few minutes.”

William turned to Buffy and smiled. “Would you like to join my father and your mother for supper, kitten?”

Smiling back at William, Buffy left him in no doubt that supper was not an option. “No, William, I think not. I would prefer to join you and Clem in the library.”

Taking his defeat on the chin and unable to refuse any request she may make of him, he nodded his head. William placed Buffy’s arm through his and with Clem on her other side, all three left the room.

As they made their way through the ballroom, the Prince of Wales stopped them.

“Telford, I wish to thank you for your assistance with that distressing incident earlier this evening. I will not forget your fortitude nor your command of the situation. I would like you to call at Clarence House this Tuesday at 3 of the clock and we will discuss matters more fully.”

Clem, shocked by the approach of the Prince, stammered his reply. “I would be honoured to attend on Tuesday, Sir.”

“Good, good. See you then Telford.”

William grinned at Clem. “You are going to be rubbing shoulders with the cream of the ton now, Clem. Prinny has taken a shine to you and you know how fickle he can be.”

Clem’s face had turned bright red at both the compliment from the Prince and William’s jest. He could hardly wait to be behind the library doors and away from the questioning looks from the guests. William preferred to saunter through the crowd chatting with well-wishers and Clem’s irritation was steadily growing.

Buffy decided enough was enough. She was desperate for news of Drusilla’s direction and she knew that Clem had all the answers. While William was chatting away to an elderly dowager, Buffy discreetly dropped her hand to his bottom and gave it a sharp nip.

William jumped in surprise and smiled down at his fiancé as he lifted her arm through his once more. Taking leave of the dowager the three made their way to the library. William could not help but tease Buffy for her attack and whispered in her ear.

“You are going to kiss that better when I get you alone, sweetheart.”

“Indeed, my lord?” she smiled at him and squeezed his arm tighter. “I believe I may be too tired to leave my bed this evening.”

He could take her teasing no more. Quickly looking round to check they would not be disturbed, William urged Clem to enter the library alone. “Go in, Clem, and pour us both a good brandy. I believe we are both in need of it. Buffy and I need a few minutes.”

Clem was none too pleased. He wanted to speak to William and leave this infernal ball. He wanted home to Faith. Once he had told William of Angelus’ return his work was done and William could face his demons on his own. He wanted no more of this.

William watched the library doors close and he wrapped his arms around Buffy.

“I have not seen you properly in a week, sweetheart.” He said as he peppered her face in kisses. “I need you, darling. I need to hold you skin to skin. I love you, Buffy.”

No matter how many times Spike told her of his love, she still held something back. Why could she not trust this man who would do anything for her? She was still determined to stay a virgin which was why she had not been back to his bed. A little of Spike’s lovemaking and she became a wanton slut crying out for him to take her.

Finally William placed his mouth over hers and darted his tongue inside. She was lost. Without a doubt she would be in his bed tonight and she was just as sure that she would leave a virgin. Remembering their last encounter and how much she enjoyed it, she smiled and whispered in his ear.

“I think I might need another shave, Spike. I have an itch down there that only you can scratch.”

William’s reaction was immediate and predictable. Grabbing Buffy around the hips, he smashed his mouth into hers as he ground his rock hard length against her. When breathing became an issue, William backed away from Buffy and stared with pure lust into her eyes.

“If you do not come to my room tonight, kitten, I swear I will come to yours.”

Smiling up at him, Buffy nodded her head. “I will come to you, Spike. One hour after we are all abed.”

He held her tightly as he whispered in her ear. “I will be waiting, sweetling.” Kissing the shell of her ear, he let his arms fall to his sides. “Come on, Buffy, if we don’t let Clem go home to Faith soon he will kill both of us.” Reminding herself to ask about Faith another time, Buffy and William entered the library.

Clem was fit to be tied by the time they both appeared. He had done them a great service this evening and they were too wrapped up in each other to care. He had a woman at home who worried for him and loved him and he needed to be with her now.

Furious at waiting this amount of time considering the things he had done for them this evening, he shouted at William as he closed the library door.

“Where the fuck have you been, Will? I’ve been waiting here for ten minutes on you both. I have a life outside the Craven Annandale romance and I want to get back to it.”

William stared at his friend. Clem was indeed upset and William realised that he had taken his deliberate teasing of his friend too far.

“I’m sorry, Clem. Let’s get this over with. Where is she?”

Clem groaned, “Will, did you not hear the Prince? Where do you think we took her?”

William’s eyes widened “You really did take her to Bedlam?”

“Of course we took her to Bedlam.” Clem was almost shouting in his anger. “When the Prince of Wales tells you and his aides to take her there, then that is where she goes.”

Buffy looked at both Clem and William. How William reacted would tell her more about how he felt about her than any words.

After a few seconds, he looked at his friend and nodded his head. “To be honest, Clem, when I think about her actions over the years she should have been in there long since.”

Clem heaved a sigh of relief. Although he had seen William’s reaction with his own eyes to Drusilla’s taunts, his calm acceptance of her fate appeased his guilt.

Sighing, Clem decided to tell the rest “We went to the Angelus mansion to let the servants know where she is.” William nodded his head in agreement. “They told us that Angelus is due home within the week, Will. He is not going to be too pleased when he finds the Prince of Wales shut his wife in Bedlam.”

William shrugged. “From what I know of the man, Clem, I don’t really think he will care. He was only home for one month of the year and during that time he stayed at home.”

Clem did not want to tell William how Angelus spent his month at home. He would keep Faith’s secret, but he still had to warn his friend.

“You only know what Dru told you, Will. The man is an evil bastard and there is no telling what he will do when he finds her in Bedlam.”

William smiled. “All will be fine, Clem. If he cared that much for her, he would not leave her alone so long in the year.”

“Agreed, Will” Clem smiled at his friend. “But I think we should make it our business to find out why he leaves her so long.”

Deciding to take the bull by the horns, Clem continued. “The man is ruthless in revenge. I think he will take it out on you as he won’t be able to get near the Prince. Prinny has already intimated that he wants to speak to Angelus on his return, and I doubt he will want to discuss the price of potatoes.”

Walking closer to an open-mouthed William, Clem imparted more. “If I were you, Will, I would marry by special licence tomorrow and get up to Annandale before the man returns. After the display you both put on tonight, there can be no doubt in the ton’s eyes that this is a love match. All people would say is that they saw it coming. Please Will. You have to get Buffy and her family away from that sadistic bastard.”

William’s pride would not let him take the easy way out. “I refuse to hide from Angelus, Clem. Buffy and I will walk down the aisle of St Paul’s like the future Duke and Duchess we are. Fuck him, Clem. I will not bow down to that piece of shit.”

Buffy, who had watched their interplay with interest, walked up to Clem. “I agree with William, Clem. We will not back down from an Irish peasant farmer such as Angelus.”

Clem stared at them both and shook his head. “So be it. I will interfere no more. I suggest you both return to the ballroom before you are missed.”

As he walked to the door, Clem looked at them both over his shoulder. “Find out from your father why he invited her here in the first place, Buffy, he must have his reasons.”

“I do not need to ask him, Clem. I know exactly why he invited her. He wants William and I to have a bad marriage and he is losing his fight to ensure it. I do not need to speak to him until the wedding and I have no intention of speaking to him tonight.”

She disengaged herself from William’s side and walked up to Clem and took his hand. She raised it to her cheek and smiled at him.

“You are a good and loyal friend, Clem.” She pleaded with her eyes. “Do not desert us now”

Clem smiled down at the diminutive blonde.

“I will always be a friend to you and William, Buffy. Of that there is no doubt.”

“Thank you, Clem. After all the words we have heard tonight blessing our union, you are one of the few I trust to tell me the truth. “

William walked up to Clem and shook his hand.

“You have been gone from Faith for some time, Clem. Come and see us when you are free.”

He turned from the couple and made for the door.

“Give me a few days, Will, and I will send word when to expect me.”

“Thank you, Clem. I cannot ask for more.”

Smiling at the couple, Clem made for home.