Author's Chapter Notes:
To all my reviewers - I love you all
Chapter 5 – Playing on your own

Running out into the hallway was not the way to act if you did not want to draw attention to ones self and Elizabeth was determined to slow down to a walk as soon as the library door had closed.

Encountering her father and Giles in the hallway she bade them good night before slowly climbing the stairs to bed. His grace looked at her retreating back and smiled to himself, he knew his absence had borne fruit.

Opening the library door his grace bellowed across the room “Will, my boy, what you think of my daughter?”

William slowly crossed his legs on the chaise lounge, he knew if he stood Elizabeth’s father would see exactly what he thought of his daughter. Smiling at his grace William slowly lifted hand to his mouth and rubbed his lips looking for the entire world as if he was contemplating the question.

The taste of Elizabeth transferred to his lip and he had to grit his teeth to not lick his lips in front of the chit’s father.

Smiling William replied, “I like her enough to marry her, your grace.” He could not resist darting his tongue out to taste her essence, he almost groaned at the taste.

“I’m sure you do William and although I agree you have to woo her” Craven looked William directly in the eye. “She is not the type to submit easily. I could force her into this marriage but it would not be what I want for her.” The duke slowly sat once again in his chair by the fire and turned to look at William.

“Do you intend to continue to see the Angelus woman while you are married to my daughter boy?”

William winced inwardly at the obvious put-down however he decided in a moment to tell the old man the truth. “All married men have their mistresses your grace” William smiled in reply. “Are you still friendly with Mrs Montgomery?” Letting his grace know that he knew about Catherine Montgomery was a good move he thought. There would be no pot calling the kettle black in this relationship.

Craven smiled slowly at William. “Touché my boy. But I will be making some conditions on this marriage.” William could feel beads of sweat rolling down his spine as he wondered what the old duke was planning. The old man was a wily old fox and not to be crossed.

“My first concern is my Buffy’s happiness.” Seeing William frown at the name. Buffy, his grace explained his pet name for his daughter. “I do not care if you love her or not I only care that she thinks you do.” Straightening further in his chair he looked at William. “I don’t really care if you continue to see the Angelus woman or not but you will ensure that no scandal reaches my daughter’s ears. You will be as discreet as possible with Lady Drusilla and should any word of your relationship become known to my daughter I will personally stop her yearly dowry.” The duke’s eyes turned cold “Buffy must be protected at all costs. Give her children to love and she will be happy. Disgrace her and I will make sure Liam Angelus knows just what his wife is. Do I make myself clear William?”

William stood up quickly and stared down at his Grace, anger making his cheekbones stand out. “If you think me such a libertine why allow me to court you daughter at all”

“Because she needs a husband and you need funds.” Craven replied. “And to be honest boy I think you will suit her well. Your reputation as a lover is legendary and I would like her to know happiness between the sheets rather than an old man’s fumbling.”

Shocked at Elizabeth’s fathers conditions William let his head fall back and laughed.

“You know I won’t give up Drusilla but as long as I give your ‘Buffy’ pleasure you don’t care?” Incredulous that this match would be so easy William continued to laugh. This was a dream come true for both himself and his estates.

William had one question to ask, “What if I give her the children you think she requires and move her to the estate up North and continue my pleasures in London?” He wanted to get a reaction from Craven however the reaction he received was not expected.

“Bed her in London and move her to the estates when she is breeding.” Craven looked directly at William. “I want the whole of London to know she is breeding before you send her away. I will not have the ton speak of her as your absentee wife. A breeding wife is different,” the old man continued “the ton expects a breeding wife to live on estates and not in London.”

Staring open-mouthed as the duke continued “I do expect you to spend at least one month a year with Buffy while she is lodged on your estates. During that month you will give her your full attention and leave the Angelus chit in London.” The duke rose from his chair. “If that condition is not honoured I will carry out my threat to stop her dowry and tell Angelus”

William knew that Craven would carry out his threat, but he really did not care. He had gone without Drusilla’s charms for more than a month before when her errant husband was home from his Irish estate. It would be no problem to poke a chambermaid in the meantime. Craven’s conditions only pertained to Drusilla and he had more than enough to spread around.

“What if she becomes bored and decides to return to London?” William wanted every possibility covered.

“If she gets bored I will send her mother and her sister Lady Dawn for a visit” the duke smiled at William. “That way we will both be in London on our own”

William smiled at the duke. A man after his own heart he thought.

“I accept your conditions your grace,” William smiled at Cravendale “when do you wish the marriage to take place”

The duke smiled “I will put an announcement into The Morning Post and The Times the day after tomorrow. I will ‘persuade’ Buffy that you were so smitten with her beauty that you asked for her hand tonight and I accepted on her behalf.” Looking William directly in the eyes he continued “She will do as she is told and will marry you. I want the ceremony to take place within four weeks.”

Craven walked to the cabinet near the window and poured himself and William another glass of brandy. William drank it back in one gulp, shook his prospective father-in-law’s hand and took his leave.

After the little snog-fest with ‘Buffy’ on the chaise lounge he needed relief. The time had come to tell Dru of his up and coming marriage.