Chapter 50 The Prince’s Command

AN* Reviews are wonderful – thank you. For all the people who have e-mailed me directly, thank you. You have all become friends.




William and Buffy stayed in the foyer until Clem left. They knew they had to return to the ballroom, but neither felt the inclination.

“Come on, kitten.” William smiled down at Buffy. “We need to go back.”

Buffy sighed and lifted her eyes to his. “I know, Spike, but I just don’t want to.”

William laughed. “I know, sweeting, but if the Prince wants to go he will have to speak to us first.” He looked in all serious at her. “He did us the honour of coming, Buffy, and he got rid of a big problem for us.”

Bristling slightly, Buffy questioned. “He did not get rid of a problem, Spike. He merely put her where she belonged. You assured me she was of no consequence to you any more; therefore she was of no consequence to me.” She smiled at him and put her arm through his. “I do not really care if she lives in her own home or in Bedlam. She was already out of our lives.”

Pulling her arm from his, he stepped in front of her. He placed his hands on her shoulders and drew her to him. Dropping his lips to her ear, he whispered.

“Do you believe, now, that I love you Buffy?” he asked earnestly. He moved his head and stared down into her eyes.

His eyes seemed to hold hers and she was drawn into their ocean blue depths. She wondered how she would answer him when she still had every intention of annulling the marriage.

Panic set in on William when she did not answer immediately. He could not understand how he had not shown in actions and words how much he cared for her.

“Yes, Spike.” She finally replied. “I believe you love me.”

Relief such as he had never felt before swept through him. He could not seem to stop himself; he drew her to him and kissed her softly on the lips.

“Thank you, Buffy” he murmured against her cheek. “That you believe me means more to me than anything in the world.”

Buffy held him close for a moment and revelled in the smell of his skin.

“Let’s go back, Spike, before they come looking for us.”

He smiled his agreement and nodded his head.

It took a few moments for him to realise that she had not said “I love you” in reply to his declaration.



Arm in arm, Buffy and William entered the ballroom. They slowly made their way to Lady Joyce’s seat, taking in more congratulations on the way.

Eventually they drew even with the Prince of Wales. Buffy curtseyed deeply, and William took his bow.

“It has indeed been a pleasure, your highness that you deigned to join our party this evening.” William told him

Prinny smiled in reply.

“It has been a pleasure, Whitmore. May I congratulate you on such a lovely bride?”

Buffy beamed at the Prince, and dropped a smaller curtsey. Women did not address the Prince of Wales unless he spoke to them direct.

“She is indeed a beauty, Whitmore.” Turning to Buffy, he smiled kindly at her before he spoke.

“You handled yourself with pride tonight, my dear. Never let it be said that you lack courage.”

Surprised that the Prince had spoken to her at all, she smiled shyly before replying.

“I believe, sir, that one must show compassion to those who are touched in the head.” Noticing prinny’s approving smile, she continued. “It was obvious that her mind had gone to speak so of the company here this evening. I am sure she will be most comfortable in her new home.”

Prince George smiled his approval at her reply. She had said just the right thing to appease the insult Drusilla had afforded on him.

“Indeed, ma’am. I will be speaking to her husband on his return to ensure she receives adequate care.”

Buffy’s smile beamed over her face.

“I believe, your highness, that you have shown great wisdom in handling such as she.”

Never one to ignore a compliment, the Prince replied. “I did, did I not? Yes,” he agreed with himself. “The whole was handled very well indeed.”

Turning his attention to William, he asked “Whitmore, may I have a word in private?”

Buffy knew William could not turn down such a request. She was desperate to accompany them, but knew she would be excluded.

“I shall return to my mother, William.” She told the assembled company. “You will find me there on your return.”

Lifting her hand to his lips, he kissed her fingers. “I will return as soon as I can, kitten. I cannot refuse my Regent.”

Nodding her acceptance Buffy removed her hand and made her way to the other side of the ballroom where her mother sat.



The Prince Regent did not want to speak to William alone; he wanted to speak to William and Craven together. His aides had informed Craven of the Regent’s request and it was evident that Craven did not wish to anger him. From across the ballroom the duke walked up to the two men, and bowed low in front of the Prince.

“Do you have a quiet room in this mansion of yours, Henry?” Prinny asked sweetly.

Craven’s face was brick red. He had invited the Prince as a matter of courtesy truly not thinking he would make an appearance. Drusilla had been invited to start trouble between William and Buffy. She had managed to do that, but he would have preferred she had not made the scene she did. He had found it very amusing at first, but when she attacked the manhood of the Prince of Wales she had almost signed her own death warrant.

Telling the room that he had invited her to attend would not go down well with the Prince. He was not sure exactly why he had been summoned for an almost private audience. Drusilla’s invitation was sure to be discussed. A feeling of dread came over him.

As Craven led the Prince’s small party and William to the library, his feeling of unease grew. He had not seen Buffy and William for over a week and had not realised that very deep feelings had developed between the couple. Drusilla had been invited to lure William away from Buffy. She had assured Craven that this would be easily done; she was wrong. His plans had misfired badly and he did not know how to extricate himself.

The Prince asked for the door to be locked behind them and one of his aides completed the task. Prinny gestured for the assembled men to sit while he stood in front of the fireplace to address them.

“Craven, did you invite that crazy hell-bitch to your ball?”

The Duke reddened once more. He would not be able to lie to the Prince as all guests had been allowed entry only on the production of their invite.

“Yes, your Highness. I did indeed invite her.”

Prinny looked down his nose at the Duke. His look of disgust evident to all assembled in the room.

“May I ask why?” The prince’s voiced was low and deadly.

Craven tried to think quickly. What possible excuse could he come up with to justify what he had done? He could think of none that would satisfy the Prince.

Prinny waited and waited. Craven still did not reply.

“Did you hope to break up your daughter’s engagement, perhaps?” asked the Prince. “If you wished to do that, Craven” prinny sneered at him before he continued, “all you had to do was send a notice to the papers.”

The Duke continued to stare at the Prince in consternation. What could he say about his motives that would not cause the House of Craven to be out of favour with the future King? Sweat appeared on his brow and he felt as if he would faint.

Prinny just shook his head at the stricken Duke.

“I have a solution that may suit all, Craven.”

Craven tried to smile, but fear held his lips still.

The Prince smiled at Craven as he set out his command, “I am sure it has been some time since you visited your ancestral home, Henry. Maybe it is time you visited and lived there for some time.” An unholy look of glee lit up prinny’s face as the idea formed in his mind. “I suggest that your estate needs some attention which keeps you in the country for,” the Prince paused in contemplation and the tension increased in Craven, “let’s say a year…..or so.”

Baulking at the Prince’s command, Craven started to stutter.

“A YEAR!” he exclaimed loudly.

“Or so,” replied the Prince with a smile on his face.

Craven immediately saw a way out. “My daughter is to be married in two weeks, sir. I need to be here to give her away.”

After sneering at Craven for a few moments, the Prince turned his attention to William.

“Do you think your bride would object to Lord Telford escorting her up the aisle, Whitmore?”

William smiled at the Prince and bowed his head. “I do believe that she would welcome Telford as her escort, sir.”

“As I thought, Whitmore.” Prinny’s smile encompassed the room. “Kirkbride here will happily stand as your groomsman in Telford’s stead.” Turning to Lord Kirkbride, prinny enquired. “Would you have any objection, Kirkbride?”

Lord Kirkbride smiled at the Prince before he replied. “It would be my pleasure, sir.”

The Prince nodded his head. “Thought it might, Kirkbride.”

“Now that we have established the new arrangements for the wedding, we are almost finished here.” The Prince continued to look at Craven as he continued. “I want you to hand the dowry to Kirkbride, tomorrow. It will be passed to Whitmore on the day of the wedding. I will not allow you to renege on any contract that may have been signed.” Turning to William, the Prince asked. “Is that acceptable to you, Whitmore?”

William had worried about the issue of the dowry when the Prince had laid down his ultimatum to Craven. He was sure the man would stop the dowry in revenge and he was sure Buffy would not marry him without her twenty five thousand.

“The arrangement you suggest, sir, would be most acceptable to me.”

The Prince appeared pleased with his idea. “I expect you to leave London tomorrow, Craven once you have transferred to dower to Kirkbride.”

There was nothing else Craven could do but agree. The man was the greatest power in the country; he could not go against him. He had no choice but to obey.

“I believe I will be available to Kirkbride at two of the clock tomorrow.” Craven bravely said. His bravado was all he had left.

Lord Kirkbride looked at Craven with contempt. “I will be here at that time you suggest, Craven. I will not be late.” Kirkbride turned his gaze to William. “I would like you here to witness the transaction, Whitmore. I will prepare a receipt which will be held by the Prince for safe-keeping till the wedding.”

Pleased with the idea that he would be part of the arrangement, the Prince agreed wholeheartedly and decided he would accompany Lord Kirkbride in his task. “Call at Clarence House at one, Kirkbride, and we shall come together.”

“Indeed, sir, I shall be most prompt,” replied Kirkbride.

Turning to William, the Prince nodded his dismissal. “Go back to your fiancé, William. We will meet again on the morrow.”

William smiled at the Prince and bowed his head in acquiescence.

He was more than happy to return to Buffy. They had much to discuss.